5522 Crebs Ave.
Tarzana, CA 91356Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lesanglierrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8183450470
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Le Sanglier
For over 40 years, Le Sanglier Restaurant has stood the test of time and provided a quiet haven from the stress and tumult of everyday life. It's about pleasure, indulgence and relaxation with one of the most irresistible, exquisite tastes of fine dining offered. The delightful and extensive menu of contemporary French cuisine promotes light and healthy fare. Food connoisseurs are in for the ultimate treat at this upscale, quaint Tarzana favorite. The lodge-like interior is low-key and often filled with regulars. Patrons agree that Le Sanglier Restaurant is "the best in the Valley" with specialties including venison, wild boar, veal, steaks, fish and seafood and daily specials.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Le Sanglier - Best Restaurants in Tarzana ›
Le Sanglier reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (20)special occasion (20)neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (16)notable wine list (6)late-night find (2)good for groups (2)Show More
- OverallRonaldDined on 10/25/2014Really enjoyed our meal..The service was excellent and the ambiance wonderful.Special Features:
- SuperbnealVIPDined on 10/25/2014Le Sanglier has always had outstanding cuisine but lacked the customer friendly gene until this time. We had previously written off the restaurant because of the later but decided to give it one more try and are delighted that we did. The entire experience was outstandingSpecial Features:
- FabulousBarbaraVIPDined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed our food and this restaurant very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Date NightDineWithFriendsDined on 9/20/2014A bit pricy, perhaps, but the excellent food and ambiance make it a delightful place for Date Night, or as was the case with this visit, the perfect way to say "Thank you" to a couple friends who have been very generous and kind to us. The friends had never been there, but loved their meals, and vowed to return, as they enjoyed the evening so much. The restaurant is very comfortable and romantic, and has NO televisions. We can't afford to dine out often, so when we do, we want it to be special. I had never had a fish dumpling, so tried it out of curiosity. Wow, really yummy! This was our third visit to Le Sanglier, and everything we've eaten so far has been delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014It is a lovely dining experience with outstanding service and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice Throw Back To a Bygone EraOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014We have eaten at Le Sanglier at least three or four times, always with a Groupon. The food is always excellent, the service is quietly effective and the maitre d a gentleman and quite fun. We've had a number of family celebrations there and never been disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/26/2014Went here on a Tuesday night for my one-year anniversary with the GF. Great food, great service, and complementary Champagne with dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time customer born in town!gwjazzDined on 8/24/2014It took me 50 years to discover this place. Good French restaurants are hard to find. Food was excellent, the waiters were VERY helpful, and the prices were reasonable. Big fan of Provence Rose's and the wine was excellent. We only had fish dishes, and they were tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderdul dining to impress guestsDiningwfriendsperDined on 8/13/2014We have been dining at Le Sanglier periodically for years and never had a disappointing experience. We have been there in parties from two people to 20 and received very good service on every occasion. Our guests are always delighted. As we live in Pasadena, the drive there (particularly in traffic) can take 45 minutes so we do not dine there as frequently as we would like. Our most recent event was Wednesday evening August 13, 2014 at 5:30pm as a party of 7. Although Gil Pique, the proprietor, was not there, Juan and the staff were very attentive. We missed Gil as he adds a lot to our dining experience with his charm, wit and personal service (when he is able to do so as he must also supervise all other tables.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT PLACE FOR QUIET ROMANTIC NITEluvs2eatVIPDined on 8/10/2014Le Sanglier takes you back to the 60's with the ambience & music, which we loved. The food was very good, but could use some updating to be a little more "today". Good sauces on the bass and the pork tenderloin. Very good onion soup. Definitely recommend this place if you like to talk to and to HEAR each other.Special Features:
- Highly recommended for the food.ArianaDined on 8/9/2014The food was excellent! Flavor and presentation? Awesome! Be prepared for a verbal spanking from the maître De if you did not somehow know to tell them when you made your reservations that you had a Groupon. His reason? "We don't want our restaurant full of everybody with only coupons". The next customers after us also got the same verbal talking to. When I asked for wine pairing recommendations, no one present was knowledgable. The only time our waiter came to our table was to bring or take away dishes. We felt like perhaps we had been side-lined to Groupon row. When my friend tried to pay her part of the bill w. a hundred dollar bill she was told they can't/won't change it?! Odd for a $$$ level restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/15/2014Delicious food. Pricing is too high unless you're there with a Groupon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 132 reviews are from the Le Sanglier reviews archive.
- under-appreciated gemGBC8Dined on 6/20/2014yes its an old restaurant - but the food is great - and with the groupon its practically stealing -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grandmasherry33Dined on 6/18/2014On a week night the restaurant was not overly crowded. We had the prix fixe dinner, which was lovely, especially the apple tart and ice cream for dessert, Portions were generous and the food was very good. Service was very attentive. The décor could use a little freshening.Special Features:
- Service was poor, at best...WCartistLADined on 6/14/2014While we were quite happy with the food we were served with our 4-course meal via Groupon (except the bread pudding: given that we're in SoCal and in the "fruit basket" of the world, using canned fruit seems like a sacrilege...), the service was some of the worst we've had in a very long time. We're foodies, so we eat out regularly. It really shouldn't take 15 or more minutes between EVERY part of the meal, and it certainly shouldn't take 15 minutes for a waiter to come up and ask for your order. Not only that, but when we mentioned we had a Groupon, we definitely got a negative reaction from the older maitre d'.... We will not return.
- Long Time Between VisitsencinocarolDined on 5/24/2014My husband and I bought an Amazon "deal" for Le Sanglier and decided to visit it again after many, many years. The owner obviously knew almost all of the diners, based on greetings, table visits, etc. We were on a four-course prix fixe dinner basis but the choices were appealing and the food was great! Service was good (though we got off to a slow start), but the meal was nicely paced and we had a lovely evening. The room is just beautiful and the noise level was very manageable, especially since the restaurant is fairly intimate. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Fine French diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014Everything was delicious, but very expensive. Most portion sizes were fine, except for the port tenderloin, which seemed tiny, especially for the price.Special Features:
- ThosdeDined on 5/13/2014We visited Le Sanglier on a Tuesday evening. It was quiet and we were seated immediately. The wine list was quite extensive. We had the four course meal, and each course was very good. The dinner salad was small and tasty, typical for a French Restaurant. We had the Pork Medallions & Bass for dinner. The sauces were amazing. My only complaint, and a minor one, is we were not asked if we wanted more bread, and we had to request more water. The staff was pleasant, but not attentive the evening we dined there. I would recommend this restaurant if you are looking for a true French Cuisine experience. I am sure we will return.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerrwdineDined on 5/7/2014We have been to Le Sanglier many time over the years. The food is food and service are fantastic. We look forward to going back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- table requestFrenchieDined on 5/3/2014Great restaurant and great food. Requested specific table to celebrate 30th anniversary. When we got there they were oblivious to our request. I understand that specific table may not be available but seemed they did not even know about this request. Do they look at these types of requests or should I call them directly in the future? Also, would have been nice if they had offered a dessert for this special occasion.Special Features:
- Underwhelming serviceSCFoodieDined on 5/1/2014The ambience was beautiful. The food was delicious, especially the beet, bean, and goat cheese appetizer, and the chicken marsala. The dessert was just OK. It was a fudge sundae with cream puffs on top. The only real problem we had was with the service. The service was prompt but it appeared that the waiters had no desire to serve us so late. Our reservation was at 830 and the kitchen closes at 930. It felt like we were interrupting the closing duties. I hope it is not like this every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnifique!BuddyDined on 4/26/2014This was our sixth visit to our favorite French restaurant, Le Sanglier. I had liver and my wife had filet mignon with a peppercorn sauce. As usual, dinner and service were magnifique! The restaurant was very busy, but the staff still attended to our every needs. It was nice to see so many patrons enjoying this truly amazing cuisine. Next time, I shall have candard l'orange and my wife shall have the Lake Superior Whitefish with horseradish sauce.Special Features:
- Traditional France in TarzanaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/20/2014For those who still think traditional French food--with all the scrumptious, butter-filled sauces--is the best, this is a trip to old-time French cooking. Every dish at our table for seven worked.Special Features:
- Just keeps getting better.PeteDined on 4/16/2014This is a long time family favorite. The wait staff is attentive but not obtrusive. The owner insures that everything is to your liking. This is a "Special Occasion" place for us as it is at the upper end of our dinner budget but the value for the price combined with the ambiance keeps us coming back. On this trip the owner recommended, at my request, a wonderful French wine. My wife now has given me the task of finding more of it for our cellar. Frankly I can find nothing to criticize about the establishment. I just know it is better every time we dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le SanglierLuluVIPDined on 4/12/2014Not our kind of restaurant. Old fashioned. Seating is very tight. Service was slow. Limited menu and side dishes. Didn't enjoy. Food we had was ok,but for the price should have been better.Special Features:
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/11/2014Owner greeted at door, very friendly, atmosphere very French, food choices very good with venison and boar among other specialties. Good wine list and very nice service. My wife and I had a very nice and romantic dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumpdelicious!!uclarmsDined on 4/10/2014My wife and I dined here last night. It is our third or fourth visit. The decor is elegant. It is quiet and comfortable and very romantic. The attention to detail regarding the food is outstanding. The long time chef knows how to prepare beautiful and delicious entrees. Even the decaf coffee was superb. Dessert was out of this world. This is definitely a 5 star Valley Gem. The wait staff couldn't have been more attentive. Overall, it was a wonderful dining experience. We are planning a family dinner there in July.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was superb.PreparationWellingtonVIPDined on 3/21/2014Food was superb.Preparation of seafood is always excellent.Special Features:
- A trip down memory laneFoodie13Dined on 2/28/2014It has been a couple of years since I ate at Le Sanglier. I was excited to return but I knew that there could be changes. To my surprise food was as magnificent as I recalled. The onion soup is incredible. The bass was delicious. My friend had Coq Au Vin and said it was the best. The wine selections are excellent too. The service was perfect -European style where they don't rush you at all. I will definitely be frequenting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible servicejohnDined on 2/21/2014Server was not present at all. Manager had to come take our order and then the server got mad I needed change as he was apparently expecting over 20%. Even though he was completely absent. Food was mediocre as wellSpecial Features:
- I haven't been there in yearsdowntowndinerDined on 2/21/2014I haven't been there in years but the food was exactly how I remember it. It is absolutely delicious. Every morsel melts on your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Restaurant!!!gstellarDined on 2/13/2014Best food, great service, old fashioned classic French ambiance. The Mushroom Soup was out of this world, the best I ever had. Filet of Bass was outstanding, highly recommended!!! Will go back there again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden treasure in TarzanaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/7/2014I have been wanting to try this restaurant for years - glad we finally found the time to go. We went on a groupon so we had a limited menu, but what we tasted left us wanting more...so we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine experienceTimPDined on 1/26/2014My wife and I spent a pleasant evening and like many pleasant surprises in Paris we entered Le Sanglier for the first time and left pleased with our find. The food, host Jean, waiters and ambiance were delightful.Special Features:
- ExcellentMindocDined on 1/18/2014The food was wonderful at this hidden gem of a restaurant. I would highly recommend it to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite French restaurant!!ScallywagkweenDined on 1/17/2014Gils, the owner, is the shinning star of this restaurant!! What an amazing guy!! The food was perfect as was the service. Gils went above and beyond. We will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous night.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014Loved every minute of our completely unrushed dinner. The booths have high backs, so, you are only looking at the person across from you. Very private. Very nice. The food is amazing, and as one would expect from a French restaurant, the sauces are magnifique! The menu has traditional components, but is updated with wonderful tastes like cinnamon and stewed cherries with scallops. It was fantastic. I had the sea bass in saffron sauce and my date had the half duck. We finished with a chocolate soufflé that came with it's own pot of chocolate sauce. Yum! We love the restaurant and plan to return for one of it's food and wine pairing nights. There is an attractive little outdoor patio, which is heated, but we did not eat outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable evening in Woodland HillsArnieDined on 12/28/2013Upon recommendation of an old friend we decided to try La Sanglier. Was a great choice. Small but very elegant dinning room and extremely attentive wait staff added to the ambience. Food selections were presented by way of a "regular menu" as well as an lumina tied sign, brought table side with that evenings specials. The menus were not large but had more than adequate choices for all. French cuisine is the trademark of this restaurant and it doesn't disappoint. The restaurant is not inexpensive but you do get what you're paying for here. I highly recommend to all.Special Features:
- OMG that was good!gregDined on 11/30/2013Amazing food, nice ambiance. We got there early and had the place almost to ourselves. Baked brie and fruit, lamb shanks, chicken in balsamic sauce and crepe Suzette prepared table side. Everything was first-rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon Appetit!BuddyDined on 11/29/2013Our fifth visit was tremendous. I had special ordered sweet breads one week in advance, and La Sanglier accommodated me. My wife and I started with vichyssoise, then garlic shrimp and escargot appetizers. My wife had sautéed halibut and I, of course, had the sweet breads. For dessert, we had Cherries Jubilee and Grand Marnier Souffle, which is fast becoming our favorite dessert. The meal was leisurely and the services was top notch. I cannot wait until our sixth visit when I shall have either calf's liver or veal. Bon appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.