Le Pois Penché
1230 de Maisonneuve Ouest
Montreal, QC H3G 1M2Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Le Pois Penché
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lepoispenche.com/
- Phone: (514) 667-5050
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH (Monday to Friday): 11:00am - 3:00pm
Monday to Friday: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 6:00pm
DINNER: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
LATE NIGHT: 9 till Closing
BRUNCH (Saturday & Sunday): 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, French
- Executive Chef: Stéphane Dumas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Located on the corner of Drummond and De Maisonneuve, Le Pois invites you to take a seat in the comfort of its welcoming dining room in the heart of downtown.
- Private Party Contact: Audrey Lemay 5146675050
- Special Events: SOIRÉE SAINT-SYLVÈSTRE
Le début de la fin
en amuse bouche
Crème de moules
au safran espagnol et huître pochée
Escalope poêlé de foie gras
de canard de carignan
au caramel de balsamic et pommes fondantes
Paillettes givrées LPP
Mignon de boeuf à moëlle
en pyramide, sauce miroir au porto,
purée de pommes de terre rattée parfumée à la truffe
Pavé de flétan croustillant
braisé à basse température
parfumé à la coriandre fraîche et tapenade de kalamata
Poire pochée en panier
mousseline pralinée noisette,
croquant au caramel et chocolat chaud
café ou thé
A word from Le Pois Penché
Le Pois Penché perpetuates the style and spirit of Paris in the 1940s, where brasseries perfected the concept of French cuisine as ‘comfort food’. Mindful of its legacy, Le Pois Penché appeals to a mixture of young adventurous diners, seasoned connoisseurs, late-night bon vivants, tourists, and local habitués, always eager to spark conversations and chance encounters over a glass of award-winning wine and gastronomy steeped in tradition. Nowhere are their desires better fulfilled than at Le Pois Penché, where opulence and everyday delightful hospitality intertwine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Le Pois Penché - Best Restaurants in Montreal ›
Le Pois Penché reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)romantic (22)special occasion (22)notable wine list (20)good for groups (20)great for outdoor dining (14)great for lunch (9)neighborhood gem (8)late-night find (8)great for brunch (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Bad experiencePetitchefDined on 11/21/2014I must say that I was looking forward for a true event at Le Pois Penché. From the outside this French restaurant seems to be a really good place for dinner. We were 2 couples and we were quite disappointed. There was not a lot of client on that Friday night at 20:00, that is a sign. However, the service was good (is it because of the number of clients?). I personally think that Le Pois Penché is too expensive for what we received. I had a Burrata that was good but too cold. I also ordered a Tournedos Rossini that tasted too salty and I have looked for the foie gras. Maybe this place is good for lunch I do not know but one thing sure I will no go back for dinner.
- Great place for Sunday BrunchAlenaDined on 11/9/2014We have been to Le Pois Penche several times for Sunday brunch and are never disappointed. The food is consistently good and the service is excellent. The French flair also makes the place very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant eveningMaryseDined on 11/5/2014Good food, professional and courteous service in a nice atmosphere. The Mtl à table menu was great value for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Festival Montreal à tableSandDined on 11/4/2014Je pensais que c'était depassé, les minuscules portions qui ont longtemps fait la réputation des restos français. Eh bien non. On a eu droit à des assiettes jolies pour la présentation certes, et au goût correct, mais ... J'aurais dû prendre des photos pour montrer comment la nourriture était toute perdue au milieu de grandes assiettes .... Honnêtement, c'était vraiment chiche. Les prix des vins sont aussi exorbitants pour le style d'endroit. Déçue.Special Features:
- overated!ZoutilDined on 11/1/2014Rapport qualité/prix dans le dernier quartile. On pensait qu'on était tombé sur une mauvaise soirée. Un ami nous a fait le même commenta apres deux visites.
- Great PlaceDanoDined on 11/1/2014This is the second time I have gone to this restaurant, both times I was pleased. The decor is luxurious, the staff is attentive, the wine list is extensive and the food is delicious. Service is timed perfectly with several staff looking over you, assuring all is to your liking. I definitely recommend Le Pois Penché if you have never been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2014Nous y sommes allés dans le cadre de Montréal à table. Excellent rapport qualité/prix pour l'occasion. Les restaurants n'offrent pas tous une aussi belle qualité de plats à ce prix pendant cet événement. Les prix sont cependant plus élevés sur le menu régulier. La nourriture était savoureuse, délicate et les présentations étaient impeccables. Le service était attentionné, professionnel, efficace, mais discret. L'ambiance est chic, mais accessible, sans trop de prétention. La musique créée une belle ambiance chaleureuse de bistro sans être trop forte pour empêcher de discuter. Je conseille ce restaurant pour des occasions spéciales en couple ou en famille, sans jeunes enfants par contre. Première expérience très agréable et satisfaisante.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine food and superlative serviceGizmo10Dined on 10/31/2014I am visiting my brother and sister in Montreal, and we decided to go to participate in the Montreal a Table event taking place this week. We were able to make reservations for Le Pois Penché and I'm glad we did! There was a fine food selection for the event, and as a group we tried most of the options, and were all very satisfied with our dinner. But what we were most impressed by was the attentive and friendly service, from the maître d' to our waitress. In particular - and we laughed quite a bit over this - we had some trouble picking the wine we wanted to drink, and our waitress kept bringing us different options, but all with a smile on her face too. Altogether, a very enjoyable experience, and we recommend the restaurant highly.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperenceNetwarkDined on 10/31/2014Went as part of Table MTL and had an amazing dining experience. The staff were amazing and prompt. We did not feel rushed to leave and just enjoyed a great evening of culinary bliss. The decor made us feel like we were in Paris...without the plane ride.Special Features:
- Great Find!TeatimedVIPDined on 10/18/2014This was my first time at Le Pois Penche but it most definitely won't be my last. The food was great and the service outstanding.Special Features:
- Great fine French restaurantJeanNouzeillesDined on 9/29/2014The restaurant is inspired in the 40's Paris (without bullet holes from the Germans). Food is not the typical old French cuisine (only a coupe of classic choices). Still, they have GREAT dishes. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Not vegetarian friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014One member of my party did not have much selection.Special Features:
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014When we walked in we felt as if we were in Paris. Great atmosphere and good selection for a brasserie. Wine was expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatLibbyltVIPDined on 9/13/2014Very attentive staff. It was impressive that our entree and coffee was brought to the table by the manager, who made sure that everything was perfect. Try their tartars, absolutely delicious; French Onion soup is out of this world; and for gourmands, try their pairing of filet mignon and foie gras. All will blow your mind away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent experienceRickBDined on 9/10/2014We were celebrating the engagement of our daughter and had a fantastic time. Service, quality of the food were all wonderful. We will continue to go as long as they keep up the great dining experience.Special Features:
- AlexandreAlexandreDined on 9/2/2014They have a menu I like very much for people who have dinner after 21h.Special Features:
- Last minute find.....AmeritouristDined on 8/30/2014Looking for a French restaurant in Montreal and stumbled upon this near our hotel. Food excellent. Service very good and outdoor seating entertaining people watching..... Soups excellent. Salmon dish very good. Desserts exceeded expectations. Overall would highly recommend. Only down is sparkling water pricey. But it was good!Special Features:
- Maître-d with lack of people skillsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We asked for a certain table towards the front of the restaurant close to the terrasse area. The maître-d told us that it was reserved by a "very, very big VIP", and that we had to stay at our table in the rear of the restaurant. This alone, implies that we are not important to them and makes us feel like second class clients! However we did spend $900.00 . Meanwhile 2 out of 3 of our wine selections were not available! This is unacceptable for a high end French Bistro. After three hours, as our evening was ending, I was still waiting for the ultra VIP that supposedly reserved our table to show up! So no one ever sat at the table we wanted and were refused in a snobbish and classless way! Very ordinary, overpriced and impolite staff.
- Nice decor, so so food..DiscreetfoodieDined on 8/25/2014Went there for a business dinner, expecting to pay a premium, for a premium food experience. The food was a disappointment. The wine selection was just ok. The staff was nice, but for the 500+ I paid for 3 people it left me wanting a much better experience. Will not go back.
- AAlvarezDined on 8/22/2014Very good food and great service. We'll come back next time we visit Montreal
- Treated like royaltyFoodtasterDined on 8/13/2014Needed a nice place to take my better half. Did not want the 'commute' to old montreal as we've done in the past. Found this place within minutes of searching on my phone. Read up some quick good reviews and they were accurate. My request was accommodated and we were waited on by what seemed like all the staff. Wonderful night. Thank you. We will be back again !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2AustinTXvisitorsDined on 8/9/2014We had a number of great meals during our visit to Montreal, but dinner at Le Pois Penche easily was the best evening of all in every regard.Special Features:
- HelloDined on 8/5/2014Outstanding food! Very timely. Service was good but not excellent. Waiter was very friendly but I think just a little too busy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday brunchMontrealerDined on 8/2/2014Great bistro ambiance with excellent food. Professional and friendly service, overall a very pleasant experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 250 reviews are from the Le Pois Penché reviews archive.
- AMAZING!JudyDined on 7/27/2014I love this place! Great food and service! So romantic!Special Features:
- wines123VIPDined on 7/27/2014Nice place, the food (brunch) is really good but the service needs a little improvement. Have not tried the dinner there is many years but I am sure it is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pause lunch avant le MuséeCharlemagneDined on 6/20/2014Pause midi en table d'hôte dans un resto chic... à prix raisonnable. Très bonne qualité de nourriture, bien présentée, avec un service irréprochable. J'aurais une seule réserve: le prix du vin au verre. Un verre de Stoneleigh sauvigon blanc à 14$ (quand la bouteille se vend à la SAQ à 18$), c'est exagéré. J'aurais bien pris un verre de blanc avec mes tagliatelle-crevettes-champignons, mais pas à ce prix là (à 10$ ok).Special Features:
- Great service good food!FoxyfoodieDined on 6/15/2014I enjoyed my experience very much. Our group was satisfied at the end. Some of the people who aren't well versed in French cuisine, thought the bacon was too small because they lack understanding that the French prefer small rich quantities of food rather than super sized everything. The waitress was very nice to accommodate this ignorance and give them more braised bacon squares!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodNikoDined on 6/7/2014Oisters were very good, we liked it overall. A bi noisy even later at night but all the locations around are like that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great, but a little priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2014Great food, great service. Was a surprised when I got the bill. The food is good, but you won't eat (well) under 50$ per person (plus alcohol). Wine list starts at 60$ a bottle. Great list though, private import. And watch out for the house cocktail! I guess that's what ruined it for me, when we got the bill turns out they were 20$ each! Would not have ordered them if the waiter would have told us the price. Apart from a 300$ bill for two (40$ for 2 shlushy cocktails, one 72$ bottle of wine, rest is food, tax and tip), it was really great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/1/2014Always spectacular. Never been disappointed at this unexpectedly incredible place.Special Features:
- Great place but...Viciousmtl32Dined on 5/24/2014This is a great French resto with an amazing ambiance. Even though it didn't get rave reviews I rather try it myself. Went with a great friend of mine. Service from the waiter was excellent but a little slow. But the food wasn't up to par for comparable prices. The crab cake had potatoes in it compared to a steakhouse. My friend ordered shrimp scallops risotto and their dish was blan. So a very cute romantic place but not the best food quality.Special Features:
- Great lunchCharlieZVIPDined on 5/22/2014We were a group of 4. Great service, great food, great wine (suggested by the sommelier), reasonable pricing. Chic décor. Definitely a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experiencerockingfoodieDined on 5/20/2014It was our first time dining at the Pois Penche. My friends (who hail from Toronto and are big guys) love dining in Montreal on their way to P.E.I. every May. Their usual favourite spot is being renovated, so after checking the P.P. menu online, I had a feeling they would enjoy the seafood platter. The seafood platter did not stand up to our usual place. The oysters were outstanding, as was the lobster, but the muscles and clams served cold do not tickle my fancy at all. The Prime rib main course was a hit with three of my friends who had it. The saffron risotto had shrimp and scallops were grilled to perfection, however the risotto lacked luster. The salmon tartare was one of the best I ever had! I would recommend the P.P. in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for late night menu past 9pmPetshopDined on 5/16/2014Good restaurant overall, but nothing all too special. However, if you go past 9pm, they have a late night special menu which is a great deal for 25$, which includes a small entré and main dish. Otherwise, not special enough for the price range. Wait staff were great. Bathroom is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, open MondaysVinny2fingersDined on 5/5/2014That's was the reasonwe went, it was open on Monday. I've been here several times with my wife but really enjoyed it this time as a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fancy brunch in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/4/2014I simply love this place. For any occasion, but especially for brunch.Special Features:
- Dining by the windowsSkiVTDined on 5/2/2014It was great to eat a great meal by the big restaurant windows and see the Montrealers stroll by. Our oysters and entrees were delicious, the service was excellent, but the music was too loud.Special Features:
- Perfect!foodloverDined on 5/1/2014We were 4, going for a special birthday on a Thursday night. The food was wonderful & the service excellent (i.e. water glasses stayed full despite having a very thirsty client). The steaks were cooked exactly as requested, and were tender & delicious, the foie gras was amazing & the duck was succulent. The only compliant is that the bread was originally not as fresh as it could have been, but by our third basket we received fresh, crispy bread. The vegetables were crispy cooked with just the right amount of butter/olive oil and the mushrooms were amazing. In short, excellent food! We were very pleased with our evening -- just as I had been with a lunch there a few days earlier. Yes, expensive-- but definitely worth it!Special Features:
- Downtown favouriteDeliciousDined on 4/30/2014Fresh fish. Consistently delicious food. Service was great. Ambience was perfect. Try the truffle ravioli it is the best. The spicy scallop ceviche was also a refreshing treat. The waitress who served us was fantastic and always seemed to foresee our needs. She was friendly without being overbearing. Perfect dining experience and I am very picky!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.