Le Pois Penché
1230 de Maisonneuve Ouest
Montreal, QC H3G 1M2Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Le Pois Penché
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lepoispenche.com/
- Phone: 514-667-5050
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH (Monday to Friday): 11:00am - 3:00pm
Monday to Friday: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 6:00pm
DINNER: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
LATE NIGHT: 9 till Closing
BRUNCH (Saturday & Sunday): 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, French
- Executive Chef: Stéphane Dumas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Located on the corner of Drummond and De Maisonneuve, Le Pois invites you to take a seat in the comfort of its welcoming dining room in the heart of downtown.
- Private Party Contact: Audrey Lemay 5146675050
- Special Events: SOIRÉE SAINT-SYLVÈSTRE
Le début de la fin
en amuse bouche
Crème de moules
au safran espagnol et huître pochée
Escalope poêlé de foie gras
de canard de carignan
au caramel de balsamic et pommes fondantes
Paillettes givrées LPP
Mignon de boeuf à moëlle
en pyramide, sauce miroir au porto,
purée de pommes de terre rattée parfumée à la truffe
Pavé de flétan croustillant
braisé à basse température
parfumé à la coriandre fraîche et tapenade de kalamata
Poire pochée en panier
mousseline pralinée noisette,
croquant au caramel et chocolat chaud
café ou thé
A word from Le Pois Penché
Le Pois Penché perpetuates the style and spirit of Paris in the 1940s, where brasseries perfected the concept of French cuisine as ‘comfort food’. Mindful of its legacy, Le Pois Penché appeals to a mixture of young adventurous diners, seasoned connoisseurs, late-night bon vivants, tourists, and local habitués, always eager to spark conversations and chance encounters over a glass of award-winning wine and gastronomy steeped in tradition. Nowhere are their desires better fulfilled than at Le Pois Penché, where opulence and everyday delightful hospitality intertwine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Le Pois Penché - Best Restaurants in Montreal ›
Le Pois Penché reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (15)romantic (15)fit for foodies (14)great for brunch (13)good for groups (12)great for lunch (12)special occasion (11)notable wine list (9)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)neighborhood gem (5)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Nice decor, so so food..OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2014Went there for a business dinner, expecting to pay a premium, for a premium food experience. The food was a disappointment. The wine selection was just ok. The staff was nice, but for the 500+ I paid for 3 people it left me wanting a much better experience. Will not go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Very good food and great service. We'll come back next time we visit Montreal
- Treated like royaltyFoodtasterDined on 8/13/2014Needed a nice place to take my better half. Did not want the 'commute' to old montreal as we've done in the past. Found this place within minutes of searching on my phone. Read up some quick good reviews and they were accurate. My request was accommodated and we were waited on by what seemed like all the staff. Wonderful night. Thank you. We will be back again !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2AustinTXvisitorsDined on 8/9/2014We had a number of great meals during our visit to Montreal, but dinner at Le Pois Penche easily was the best evening of all in every regard.Special Features:
- HelloDined on 8/5/2014Outstanding food! Very timely. Service was good but not excellent. Waiter was very friendly but I think just a little too busy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday brunchMontrealerDined on 8/2/2014Great bistro ambiance with excellent food. Professional and friendly service, overall a very pleasant experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!JudyDined on 7/27/2014I love this place! Great food and service! So romantic!Special Features:
- wines123VIPDined on 7/27/2014Nice place, the food (brunch) is really good but the service needs a little improvement. Have not tried the dinner there is many years but I am sure it is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pause lunch avant le MuséeCharlemagneDined on 6/20/2014Pause midi en table d'hôte dans un resto chic... à prix raisonnable. Très bonne qualité de nourriture, bien présentée, avec un service irréprochable. J'aurais une seule réserve: le prix du vin au verre. Un verre de Stoneleigh sauvigon blanc à 14$ (quand la bouteille se vend à la SAQ à 18$), c'est exagéré. J'aurais bien pris un verre de blanc avec mes tagliatelle-crevettes-champignons, mais pas à ce prix là (à 10$ ok).Special Features:
- Great service good food!FoxyfoodieDined on 6/15/2014I enjoyed my experience very much. Our group was satisfied at the end. Some of the people who aren't well versed in French cuisine, thought the bacon was too small because they lack understanding that the French prefer small rich quantities of food rather than super sized everything. The waitress was very nice to accommodate this ignorance and give them more braised bacon squares!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodNikoDined on 6/7/2014Oisters were very good, we liked it overall. A bi noisy even later at night but all the locations around are like that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great, but a little priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2014Great food, great service. Was a surprised when I got the bill. The food is good, but you won't eat (well) under 50$ per person (plus alcohol). Wine list starts at 60$ a bottle. Great list though, private import. And watch out for the house cocktail! I guess that's what ruined it for me, when we got the bill turns out they were 20$ each! Would not have ordered them if the waiter would have told us the price. Apart from a 300$ bill for two (40$ for 2 shlushy cocktails, one 72$ bottle of wine, rest is food, tax and tip), it was really great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/1/2014Always spectacular. Never been disappointed at this unexpectedly incredible place.Special Features:
- Great place but...Viciousmtl32Dined on 5/24/2014This is a great French resto with an amazing ambiance. Even though it didn't get rave reviews I rather try it myself. Went with a great friend of mine. Service from the waiter was excellent but a little slow. But the food wasn't up to par for comparable prices. The crab cake had potatoes in it compared to a steakhouse. My friend ordered shrimp scallops risotto and their dish was blan. So a very cute romantic place but not the best food quality.Special Features:
- Great lunchCharlieZVIPDined on 5/22/2014We were a group of 4. Great service, great food, great wine (suggested by the sommelier), reasonable pricing. Chic décor. Definitely a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experiencerockingfoodieDined on 5/20/2014It was our first time dining at the Pois Penche. My friends (who hail from Toronto and are big guys) love dining in Montreal on their way to P.E.I. every May. Their usual favourite spot is being renovated, so after checking the P.P. menu online, I had a feeling they would enjoy the seafood platter. The seafood platter did not stand up to our usual place. The oysters were outstanding, as was the lobster, but the muscles and clams served cold do not tickle my fancy at all. The Prime rib main course was a hit with three of my friends who had it. The saffron risotto had shrimp and scallops were grilled to perfection, however the risotto lacked luster. The salmon tartare was one of the best I ever had! I would recommend the P.P. in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for late night menu past 9pmPetshopDined on 5/16/2014Good restaurant overall, but nothing all too special. However, if you go past 9pm, they have a late night special menu which is a great deal for 25$, which includes a small entré and main dish. Otherwise, not special enough for the price range. Wait staff were great. Bathroom is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, open MondaysVinny2fingersDined on 5/5/2014That's was the reasonwe went, it was open on Monday. I've been here several times with my wife but really enjoyed it this time as a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fancy brunch in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/4/2014I simply love this place. For any occasion, but especially for brunch.Special Features:
- The following 237 reviews are from the Le Pois Penché reviews archive.
- Dining by the windowsSkiVTDined on 5/2/2014It was great to eat a great meal by the big restaurant windows and see the Montrealers stroll by. Our oysters and entrees were delicious, the service was excellent, but the music was too loud.Special Features:
- Perfect!foodloverDined on 5/1/2014We were 4, going for a special birthday on a Thursday night. The food was wonderful & the service excellent (i.e. water glasses stayed full despite having a very thirsty client). The steaks were cooked exactly as requested, and were tender & delicious, the foie gras was amazing & the duck was succulent. The only compliant is that the bread was originally not as fresh as it could have been, but by our third basket we received fresh, crispy bread. The vegetables were crispy cooked with just the right amount of butter/olive oil and the mushrooms were amazing. In short, excellent food! We were very pleased with our evening -- just as I had been with a lunch there a few days earlier. Yes, expensive-- but definitely worth it!Special Features:
- Downtown favouriteDeliciousDined on 4/30/2014Fresh fish. Consistently delicious food. Service was great. Ambience was perfect. Try the truffle ravioli it is the best. The spicy scallop ceviche was also a refreshing treat. The waitress who served us was fantastic and always seemed to foresee our needs. She was friendly without being overbearing. Perfect dining experience and I am very picky!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceAlfieDined on 4/21/2014This was my first visit here, visiting from Toronto. I have traveled all over the world and dined in many restaurants. The service and hospitality here was exceptional and I would certainly come again on my next visit to Montreal. Our server Fausto, was knowledgable and his sea food plater suggestion as well as those for my guest was delicious. Portions however, were small but tasty.Special Features:
- Food was deliciousfoodiesNHDined on 4/20/2014Went there after Easter Mass. We had reservations at 1:30 but arrived at 1. Sat us with no problem. The place reminded us of restaurants in Paris. We had the special and the food was so good, as well as the presentation. Our server was very nice and was very attentive. We would certainly go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dessert only, great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/13/2014We completed our meal and our last night in Montreal with dessert at Le Pois Penche. I had the opera cake- superb! My wife had the creme brulee, a classic and done very well. The ambiance was classic French and our server, maitre 'd were very kind and attentive. A sudden rain squall came up and we were offered to have a cab called and also an umbrella. Hard to find that kind of service in the US! Great job, thanks!Special Features:
- Waste of time and moneyStacuVIPDined on 4/6/2014Very disappointed with dinner here. I ordered the shrimp and scallop rissoito, for around $34. Came with 2 shrimp and 2 scallops, which at some high end restaurants small portions are the norm for good food. However, they had absolutely no flavor. The risotto was suppose to have saffron, could definitely not taste that, or anything else. A box of rice-a-roni with boiled shrimp would have tasted a lot better! My husband got the sea bass which was nowhere as tender or flaky as we are used to. I would the say the skin consisted of 50% of the portion that was given! it was the thinnest cut of "sea bass" I have ever seen. Pint of beer $12, glass of wine $16. They do not list drink costs on the menu, unless you are ordering a bottle.
- Good but priceyMikedmtlVIPDined on 4/5/2014Second time to pois penché. Drinks and oysters were very good. We then ordered fish and a plate of scallops and shrimps. Both were very good although the potions were small (small fillet of fish in the bar noir plate and 2 shrimps and 2 scallops in the other entree - both around 35$ per plate). We were also charged 9$ for bottled sparkling water. This is a usually a good indication of how aggressive prices are. Overall the food was quite good but you can easily find better value in montreal.
- environment to nurture friendshipsSportDined on 3/26/2014Food was great, service exceptional, lots of room, but the prices are quite high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ah! les bulles!!!FinegueuleDined on 3/26/2014Très bon rapport qualité-prix. Belle ambiance de brasserie parisienne. Vaste choix de champagnes de qualité à prix raisonnables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As alwaysDavidDined on 3/23/2014We had a very good time the last 3 times we went to Le Pois Penché. If you`ve never to a chic Parisien bistro, this is as close you can get. The brunch menu offer limited choices but all of them are excellent. The diner menu are well presented and very tasty, I will defenetly go back !Special Features:
- French brasserie type bistroDanDDined on 3/12/2014If you like oysters, short list quality food menu with a reasonable range of interesting wines: Le pois penché is your place. Nice atmosphere, Service a little unequal at times (from great and passionate to semi-absent and slow). Most people can find something they like and some of their specialty are just delicious. Well located in the downtown area, the locals tends to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, service wasAndiDined on 2/22/2014Food was good, service was good. Overall a nice place where I would go again.Special Features:
- Tres décevantCandyDined on 2/22/2014Soirée d' anniversaire , nous avons très hâte d essayer ce restaurant. Pour avoir fait quelques restos au Centre-ville, celui- ci ne remporte pas la palme coté qualité/prix. Très ordinaire, pour une table d hote qui donne un choix d entrée entre soupe et salade et deux plats du jour Poisson et viande. Le poisson grillé n avait aucune sauce, citron etc et meme s' il était cuit a la perfection c'etait un peu sec. On m a apporté une sauce vierge qui manquait définitivement d'herbes fraiches. Le plat de viande qu'en a lui ètait trop salé. Tout manquait de raffinement. Je n y retournerai pas. On mange mieux à la maison!!!
- Nice Parisien BistroNanookDined on 2/19/2014This was a quaint bistro atmosphere good for large groups. The wait staff was extremely attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- J'ai particulièrement appréciéOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014J'ai particulièrement apprécié le service très professionnel et très discret. Un vrai service français, dans une ambiance très française. C'est super, j'ai pu avoir une discussion très personnelle avec un ami, sans avoir à crier ou à deviner ce qu'il me disait. Le questionnaire pourrait peut-être être en français également. Merci.Special Features:
- Pretty good French bistroWillDined on 2/12/2014Went there for a business lunch. Food and service were perfect. My guest enjoyed it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris charm in downtown MontrealDelfDined on 2/7/2014I always have lunch with one of my good friend there. The service is very attentionate and classical. The decor is like a Café in Paris. They make GREAT tartare. The wine list by the glass is quite nice and the even have champagne by the glass, fresh oysters and great Table d'Hote Menu everyday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2014I had read such great reviews that the actual experience was disappointing. There was mix ups about the ordering from the waiter and then charged for things we didn't order. This was corrected but shouldn't hVe happened. They ran out of the dessert we all wanted and since we were celebrating a special birthday this was disappointing also.I had. Mentioned when reserving about the biithday but guess no one took note of this.
- Great dinner experienceDanielDined on 1/19/2014Great night. We were there on a cold Sunday night. Even though It was a slow night service and food was exceptional Love the fact that the waiters were very friendly and introduced themselves and were very Familiar with the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fin de soirée inoubliable!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014C'est ma 2e expérience au pois penché avec le menu fin de soirée! Toujours une expérience exceptionnelle. Le service est sympathique et rapide, la liste de vin est intéressante (grande quantité d'importations privées), et la nourriture est INCROYABLE! Cette fois-ci je me suis offert quelques huitres... elles étaient délicieuses! Pour une soirée de filles, une soirée entre-amis, une rencontre d'affaires ou une soirée d'amoureux; chacun y trouve son compte! J'ai déjà hâte à ma prochaine visite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.