738 E Burnside St
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lepigeon.com/
- Phone: (503) 546-8796
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Every Night
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gabriel Rucker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Le Pigeon
Le Pigeon serves adventurous French-inspired food, along with a varied selection of wines in an intimate dining room on Portland’s East Burnside Street. We take reservations at our communal tables, and offer our chef's counter for walk-ins.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Le Pigeon - Best Restaurants in Northeast Portland ›
Le Pigeon reviews from OpenTable diners
182 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (168)special occasion (111)hot spot (76)notable wine list (76)neighborhood gem (71)romantic (55)good for groups (18)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Le Pigeon is for the birdsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014I took my wife here for her birthday, which I had mentioned in the OT reservation. This was completely lost on Le Pigeon's wait staff as no one bothered to even acknowledge this. Added to this was the fact that our appetizers (a Butter Lettuce salad and an Escargot & Squid dish) were disasters. The salad was swimming in dressing and the Escargot/Squid was over salted and weighed down by way too much garlic. Our entrees were okay (a blended score of an excellent Beef Cheek Bourgogne and a so-so Pork Coppa. Finally, a restaurant that is as hyped as this one that doesn't offer a decent Cabernet is really inexcusable. Overall, my wife and I were glad we tried Le Pigeon to see what all the fuss has been about. Suffice it to say, we've had better for less money at The Farm Cafe or at Bar Avignon. I seriously doubt that we would ever dine at Le Pigeon again and would not recommend this restaurant to either family or friends. PS - in all fairness, the restaurant did comp the Escargot/Squid, as well as replating my wife's salad with a new salad sans dressing which was provided on the side.
- Recommended with reservationsAmericaVIPDined on 11/18/2014this is a lovely spot, with wonderful service, nice atmosphere, and very hit and miss food. We had two very good appetizers, the foie gras and the pigeon. the food was perfectly cooked, but there were about 9 things going on on each plate, which muddled the overall dish and took away from the main ingredients (again, perfectly cooked). Unfortunately, our main courses were disasters. The spaghetti (squash) and (lamb) meatballs is a wonderful idea, but the dish was poorly executed. The squash was wildly overrich with butter and salt, and the meatballs were very dry. This could be a great dish, but the kitchen didn't pay attention to how the food was coming out. The second main course was the vegetarian option -- the celery root with cocoa and brown butter, filled with shredded vegetables. This was a big muddle. Chips on top of the dish were oversalted to the point where they were inedible. The celery root flavor got lost in the butter and cocoa, and the shredded brussels sprouts didn't marry with either dish. The creme brulee dessert, which included a lime and sorghum pot de creme was excellent. The service was wonderful, and our server noticed that we didn't enjoy the vegetable dish and took it off our bill. We can't say enough good things about the service and ambiance. Given the fact that Le Pigeon is beloved by so many, we wonder if we were there on a night when the chef wasn't in (he has two restaurants in town). We love it when creative food succeeds, but at least the night we were there, it fell short.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!tomsgal707Dined on 11/12/2014A fantastic meal! Would highly recommend and look forward to our next opportunity to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!ne29dineDined on 11/11/2014We went here for a special occasion dinner and were delighted. We got the 5-course dinner with wine pairings, and each course (and each wine) were delicious. We'll be back!Special Features:
- It was nice!Brainless69Dined on 11/10/2014I came here not expecting anything, i had the tasting menu which was good, though not that special. I have to say that the flavours didn't work too well overall and as a tasting menu didn't really run together. The tasting menu as a whole was a bit rich, there was nothing that really cut through the richness like a palate cleanser or a fresh salad. The foie gras profiterole at the end of the meal was a bit much, it is seriously decadent and to have that as well as a boring whoopsie pie was just one step too far. However all that said I did quite enjoy the meal, service was good, and even though the restaurant was busy it didn't have a buzz about the place.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2014Once again Le Pigeon came through. We had the fish special and the duck breast. Both prepared and presented perfectlySpecial Features:
- A true gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Gabriel Rucker is the man. Everything was perfect from the raw scallops to the foie gras profiteroles. One of the best meals I have ever had.Special Features:
- Small menu, tight diningTheExperienceVIPDined on 11/7/2014If you are looking for a fine foodie experience this might work for you. However if you are not into rabbit, duck, octopus, beef collar etc you should probably try someplace else. I had the vegetarian option which was very tasty..celery root. Communal table is uncomfortable as well. Parking and traffic was awful!Special Features:
- Delicious and innovativeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2014Menu is short but with amazing variety. Top to bottom, everything our party of four tried was outstanding!Special Features:
- As always, flawlessOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/5/2014I don't know how they manage such great food AND service, but we always feel like we are welcome. The food was impeccable and le pigeon remains our most favorite place to dine. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting attemptsUpanddownDined on 11/4/2014Serious effort at being creative. But over-done with too many different flavors/ingredients mixed toether and somewhat over-spiced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousmattagainDined on 11/4/2014First time in portland. Been wanting to check out le pigeon for over a year now. Exceeds all expectations! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mind blownFoodiegirlDined on 11/4/2014I knew this place was the best in Portland, but they went above and beyond my expectations! This is now my favorite placeSpecial Features:
- Great Food & ServiceJDMojoDined on 11/3/2014Had the five course chef's menu with wine pairings. Excellent diverse food with perfect wine pairings. Very knowledgeable waitstaff. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- they gave my wife a candleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014It was my wife's birthday. i reserved through open table with a note to do something special. they put a single lit birthday candle next to her dessert . very classy. it was perfect.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dinner&Dessert&ServiceLestrinaTheGrapeDined on 10/31/2014Le Pigeon is a fantastic restaurant, better than most of the top restaurants I've been to in NYC, Paris, Barcelona, NOLA, etc. The selection is small but varied and their vegetarian option may be the best vegetarian meal in the world, but the beef cheeks Bourguignon are just amazing. The salads are innovative and delicious. That butter lettuce salad has a dressing that makes me want to only eat butter lettuce salad for dinner and get right to the Foie Gras Profiterols. They are unexpected and wonderful. The only thing I don't like is that this is the 4th time I've been seated at the children's table near the door, and there isn't enough room for my plate and a wine glass and if I want the big people's table on the side next time!Special Features:
- Noise ruined itNoisyDined on 10/25/2014We had a 9:45pm reservation so this may be why noise from a band playing upstairs ruined the ambiance. We were told that there was an event venue upstairs where there are bands. The bass was so loud, you couldn't hear the music that Le Pigeon was playing. It was really distracting. It's a shame because the food and service was very good. We had a wonderful bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir. My husband doesn't like communal tables and due to the small size of the restaurant, this is what they have. He felt if you pay the prices they charge, you should have a separate table.
- exceeds expectationsstuffbysilkDined on 10/21/2014There is no doubt that this place is a fine tuned machine. We enjoyed the tasting menu with the wine pairings and it was fabulous. Le Pigeon is what most good restaurants aspire to be. The food is complex without pretension, a multitude of flavours combined seamlessly and the service is friendly and knowledgeable. I highly recommend this dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great For Special occasionPopeDoughnutDined on 10/18/2014While the setting isn't privite (communal tables) it does feel intimate with the decor and the food! Highly recommend a tasting plate if you are like me and unsure what to get - was a lot of fun trying so many dishes!Special Features:
- Good for groupsSmiels420Dined on 10/16/2014The above selections are not working on my smart phone, so I'll line them out here. Great for groups! It was quite loud while dining as a couple. We felt a little intrusive talking loud enough to be heard initially, but eventually fell into a comfort zone when a few of the other parties left. The service was great, and the wine and good were excellent. I would close with the fact that this place would be fit for foodies. Actually, I believe a food.critic was there the night we were! He seemed quite impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring home French dining in PDXlwhittigVIPDined on 10/12/2014When looking for a special place to eat on a recent trip to Portland, Le Pigeon came up over and over. Make sure to snag a reservation as this cozy restaurant books up fast. It's warm and inviting, serving up French comfort food and definitely do not miss the foie gras ice cream... I know it sounds like it could either be really good or really bad, but take my word when I say it is 100% the former! Thanks for a great evening.Special Features:
- First but not lastKRIMESDined on 10/12/2014My boyfriend and I ordered the tasting menu with the wine pairings. The food: We both really enjoyed the foie & vadouvan curry terrine, the true cod (his favorite), the squid & escargot courses (my favorite). The short rib with chile relleno was good, but not on par with the other courses. As far as the wine pairings go, the wine was fine and paired nicely with each dish, but none of the glasses were extraordinary. The foie profiteroles were decadent and a lovely way to end the meal. The Le Pigeon truffles were cute but were too sweet for our liking. The service: I thought our server did a fine job. He was attentive and courteous. Short story long, Le Pigeon was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food junkieawesomeDined on 10/12/2014wow. what a find! i keep asking myself: "why isn't there a line around the block to get into this place?" what great food! at a great value!Special Features:
- AmazingcbrownDined on 10/11/2014Always impressed when I come here. Menu is constantly changing and adding interesting and challenging twists. The addition of some beers was great for a more diverse drink list. Great for a special occasion. Very excited for my next trip to Le Pigeon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal of my life!nchillDined on 10/9/2014This place is small but had a fabulous atmosphere. Did not feel pretentious at all. I can't praise the service staff enough because it was top notch and made us feel like kings and queens. Ordered the 7 course meal with wine pairings, worth every penny we spent and had a extremely enjoyable anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time and loved it!HBREVIPDined on 10/6/2014Le Pigeon exceeded my expectations. I only wish I was going to be in Portland OR longer to enjoy another dining experience, especially the Chef's Tasting menu. So many interesting dishes to try!Special Features:
- Great experiencepdxtwinsmomDined on 10/4/2014I can't say enough good things about our dining experience. Hands down one of the best meals I've ever had. Great service and great food, worth EVERY penny.Special Features:
- Diamond in a rough area.PhilECheeseDined on 10/3/2014Great food, small space. Also it is not in the nicest area, bus stop with meth heads right in front of resteraunt. Must have reservations, and expect a little wait. Best Ox tail I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food,TijjersDined on 10/3/2014Saffron gazpacho, Curried foie gras, poached rabbit - a few of the amazing dishes from the 5 course tasting menu. Excellent wine pairings, good value. I'm from London so exceptionally good value! The pigeon ramen dish was probably my least favourite not bad just not as good as the rest. Seating is communal tables or at the bar, relaxed vibe, we sat at the end of the large table in the window a good spot, luckily no one was sat next to us either. I'm not a fan of communal tables, especially not for this calibre of food/wine. Having to ask your neighbor to move when you need the toilet or being sat next to a loud couple/group could have potentially ruined the evening. That said do not let that put you off the food is just too good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional1HappyWaltDined on 10/2/2014Without any doubt, this was one of the finest examples of refined preparation and plating I ever experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!RobertCVIPDined on 9/27/2014Fabulous food in a cool, small room. We struggled to narrow down our choices because everything looked so good. It is great fun to watch the cooks do their thing right in from of you. DOn't miss the Foies Gras Profieroles for dessert....maybe the best thing I've ever had! We would go back again and again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic - just one notejoshDined on 9/26/2014My wife and I had a wonderful meal at Le Pigeon. The food was excellent, and the service was superb. My only piece of feedback - the items on the tasting menu came directly from the options on the a la carte menu. Unfortunately in my case, that meant I missed out on items I would have loved to try, and receive items that I wouldn't have chosen. I'm always up for a tasting menu - I love exposure to new and interesting things. But if the tasting menu is going to be pulled directly from the a la carte menu, that would have been nice to know so I could have stated a preference for the one dish I knew I wouldn't enjoy. Just my 2 cents.Special Features:
- super yummy!!KrishaVIPDined on 9/26/2014Exotic menu, but very tasty! Had pigeon appetizer=terrific , husband had rabbit for main course=terrific, I had celery root/vegetarian dish=terrific....actually it was one of the best dinners I've ever had.Special Features:
- amazing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/25/2014truly a wonderful experience and amazing food coming out of a very small kitchen with a good, varied wine menuSpecial Features:
- DisappointingTasteteamVIPDined on 9/24/2014Very noisy and crowded. Difficult to hear my dining partner. Did not enjoy sitting at the bar and open kitchen. Limited menu with too much strange infusion. Misnomer to call Le Pigeon "French". Obviously popular for foodies with different tastes. If visiting Portland and staying downtown, it is a costly taxi fare.Special Features:
- ExceptionalLovefoodVIPDined on 9/24/2014We opted for the five course tasting menu and from the magazine photo first course of fluke and cantaloupe and avocado ( seriously you have experience the food visually and TASTE it yourself). Complex, elegant, luscious in a casual, oh so Portland environment. Cannot wait to return. One minor downside...no liquor. Good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/18/2014This place was great. 4 stars only because the food is almost overdone. They push the envelope without concern, but the style does not met the style. I would recommend.Special Features:
- Great place!two2dineDined on 9/16/2014We ordered the tasting menu with wine pairing. The wines were so well matched to the food. Everything was absolutely delicious. Only one of the courses was way to salty- it was chicken with montreal spices. But everything else was spot-on. The dessert which had foie gras ice cream was so amazing!The service was great. The server was super friendly and knowledgeable. The restaurant had a great vibe. I would definitely come backSpecial Features:
- Beyond fantasticPapaVIPDined on 9/15/2014Really nice bistro atmosphere, beyond fantastic food ( be sure to try the beef cheeks). Knowledgable servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High-quality and authenticnicolehessDined on 9/13/2014It was high-quality in every way. Understated and authentic ambience and service, exceptional food. A perfect place to celebrate a mellow 40th birthday.Special Features: