738 E Burnside St
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lepigeon.com/
- Phone: 5035468796x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Every Night
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gabriel Rucker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Le Pigeon
Le Pigeon serves adventurous French-inspired food, along with a varied selection of wines in an intimate dining room on Portland’s East Burnside Street. We take reservations at our communal tables, and offer our chef's counter for walk-ins.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Le Pigeon - Best Restaurants in Northeast Portland ›
Le Pigeon reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (170)special occasion (118)neighborhood gem (79)notable wine list (77)hot spot (77)romantic (59)good for groups (18)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Noise ruined itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014We had a 9:45pm reservation so this may be why noise from a band playing upstairs ruined the ambiance. We were told that there was an event venue upstairs where there are bands. The bass was so loud, you couldn't hear the music that Le Pigeon was playing. It was really distracting. It's a shame because the food and service was very good. We had a wonderful bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir. My husband doesn't like communal tables and due to the small size of the restaurant, this is what they have. He felt if you pay the prices they charge, you should have a separate table.
- This place needs a new lawyer.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014We showed up and the electricity was out. Our drink order was taken and asked for some bread and were told that would be right along. About 10 minutes later the waitperson came back and said their lawyer had decided they couldn't serve us the wine until they were serving food but would we like the bread. 15 minutes later I they say the lawyer had decided we couldn't have the bread either. We were told the restaurant would be closing and we should leave. They didn't even offer a bit of bread to take with us for our trouble. Interestingly the group that was sitting at the bar when we arrived chatting with the chef was drinking wine, eating salads, what looked like cooked items and bread the whole time we were there.
- exceeds expectationsstuffbysilkDined on 10/21/2014There is no doubt that this place is a fine tuned machine. We enjoyed the tasting menu with the wine pairings and it was fabulous. Le Pigeon is what most good restaurants aspire to be. The food is complex without pretension, a multitude of flavours combined seamlessly and the service is friendly and knowledgeable. I highly recommend this dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great For Special occasionPopeDoughnutDined on 10/18/2014While the setting isn't privite (communal tables) it does feel intimate with the decor and the food! Highly recommend a tasting plate if you are like me and unsure what to get - was a lot of fun trying so many dishes!Special Features:
- Good for groupsSmiels420Dined on 10/16/2014The above selections are not working on my smart phone, so I'll line them out here. Great for groups! It was quite loud while dining as a couple. We felt a little intrusive talking loud enough to be heard initially, but eventually fell into a comfort zone when a few of the other parties left. The service was great, and the wine and good were excellent. I would close with the fact that this place would be fit for foodies. Actually, I believe a food.critic was there the night we were! He seemed quite impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring home French dining in PDXlwhittigVIPDined on 10/12/2014When looking for a special place to eat on a recent trip to Portland, Le Pigeon came up over and over. Make sure to snag a reservation as this cozy restaurant books up fast. It's warm and inviting, serving up French comfort food and definitely do not miss the foie gras ice cream... I know it sounds like it could either be really good or really bad, but take my word when I say it is 100% the former! Thanks for a great evening.Special Features:
- First but not lastKRIMESDined on 10/12/2014My boyfriend and I ordered the tasting menu with the wine pairings. The food: We both really enjoyed the foie & vadouvan curry terrine, the true cod (his favorite), the squid & escargot courses (my favorite). The short rib with chile relleno was good, but not on par with the other courses. As far as the wine pairings go, the wine was fine and paired nicely with each dish, but none of the glasses were extraordinary. The foie profiteroles were decadent and a lovely way to end the meal. The Le Pigeon truffles were cute but were too sweet for our liking. The service: I thought our server did a fine job. He was attentive and courteous. Short story long, Le Pigeon was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food junkieawesomeDined on 10/12/2014wow. what a find! i keep asking myself: "why isn't there a line around the block to get into this place?" what great food! at a great value!Special Features:
- AmazingcbrownDined on 10/11/2014Always impressed when I come here. Menu is constantly changing and adding interesting and challenging twists. The addition of some beers was great for a more diverse drink list. Great for a special occasion. Very excited for my next trip to Le Pigeon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal of my life!nchillDined on 10/9/2014This place is small but had a fabulous atmosphere. Did not feel pretentious at all. I can't praise the service staff enough because it was top notch and made us feel like kings and queens. Ordered the 7 course meal with wine pairings, worth every penny we spent and had a extremely enjoyable anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time and loved it!HBREVIPDined on 10/6/2014Le Pigeon exceeded my expectations. I only wish I was going to be in Portland OR longer to enjoy another dining experience, especially the Chef's Tasting menu. So many interesting dishes to try!Special Features:
- Great experiencepdxtwinsmomDined on 10/4/2014I can't say enough good things about our dining experience. Hands down one of the best meals I've ever had. Great service and great food, worth EVERY penny.Special Features:
- Diamond in a rough area.PhilECheeseDined on 10/3/2014Great food, small space. Also it is not in the nicest area, bus stop with meth heads right in front of resteraunt. Must have reservations, and expect a little wait. Best Ox tail I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food,TijjersDined on 10/3/2014Saffron gazpacho, Curried foie gras, poached rabbit - a few of the amazing dishes from the 5 course tasting menu. Excellent wine pairings, good value. I'm from London so exceptionally good value! The pigeon ramen dish was probably my least favourite not bad just not as good as the rest. Seating is communal tables or at the bar, relaxed vibe, we sat at the end of the large table in the window a good spot, luckily no one was sat next to us either. I'm not a fan of communal tables, especially not for this calibre of food/wine. Having to ask your neighbor to move when you need the toilet or being sat next to a loud couple/group could have potentially ruined the evening. That said do not let that put you off the food is just too good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional1HappyWaltDined on 10/2/2014Without any doubt, this was one of the finest examples of refined preparation and plating I ever experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!RobertCVIPDined on 9/27/2014Fabulous food in a cool, small room. We struggled to narrow down our choices because everything looked so good. It is great fun to watch the cooks do their thing right in from of you. DOn't miss the Foies Gras Profieroles for dessert....maybe the best thing I've ever had! We would go back again and again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic - just one notejoshDined on 9/26/2014My wife and I had a wonderful meal at Le Pigeon. The food was excellent, and the service was superb. My only piece of feedback - the items on the tasting menu came directly from the options on the a la carte menu. Unfortunately in my case, that meant I missed out on items I would have loved to try, and receive items that I wouldn't have chosen. I'm always up for a tasting menu - I love exposure to new and interesting things. But if the tasting menu is going to be pulled directly from the a la carte menu, that would have been nice to know so I could have stated a preference for the one dish I knew I wouldn't enjoy. Just my 2 cents.Special Features:
- super yummy!!KrishaVIPDined on 9/26/2014Exotic menu, but very tasty! Had pigeon appetizer=terrific , husband had rabbit for main course=terrific, I had celery root/vegetarian dish=terrific....actually it was one of the best dinners I've ever had.Special Features:
- amazing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/25/2014truly a wonderful experience and amazing food coming out of a very small kitchen with a good, varied wine menuSpecial Features:
- DisappointingTasteteamVIPDined on 9/24/2014Very noisy and crowded. Difficult to hear my dining partner. Did not enjoy sitting at the bar and open kitchen. Limited menu with too much strange infusion. Misnomer to call Le Pigeon "French". Obviously popular for foodies with different tastes. If visiting Portland and staying downtown, it is a costly taxi fare.Special Features:
- ExceptionalLovefoodVIPDined on 9/24/2014We opted for the five course tasting menu and from the magazine photo first course of fluke and cantaloupe and avocado ( seriously you have experience the food visually and TASTE it yourself). Complex, elegant, luscious in a casual, oh so Portland environment. Cannot wait to return. One minor downside...no liquor. Good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/18/2014This place was great. 4 stars only because the food is almost overdone. They push the envelope without concern, but the style does not met the style. I would recommend.Special Features:
- Great place!two2dineDined on 9/16/2014We ordered the tasting menu with wine pairing. The wines were so well matched to the food. Everything was absolutely delicious. Only one of the courses was way to salty- it was chicken with montreal spices. But everything else was spot-on. The dessert which had foie gras ice cream was so amazing!The service was great. The server was super friendly and knowledgeable. The restaurant had a great vibe. I would definitely come backSpecial Features:
- Beyond fantasticPapaDined on 9/15/2014Really nice bistro atmosphere, beyond fantastic food ( be sure to try the beef cheeks). Knowledgable servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High-quality and authenticnicolehessDined on 9/13/2014It was high-quality in every way. Understated and authentic ambience and service, exceptional food. A perfect place to celebrate a mellow 40th birthday.Special Features:
- Best for true foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/10/2014This is not a mainstream menu, check it out before going. We sat at the sit up bar and watched the chefs prepare the food which we really enjoyed. The restaurant were happy to accommodate my husband's mushroom allergy which often restaurants can't do as everything is prepared in advance. You est at communal tables - be earned. We enjoyed our meals but weren't blown away. Perhaps we were expecting too much given the restaurants reputation. A pleasant evening all in all.Special Features:
- Awesome!JShaverDined on 9/9/2014We were recently in Portland for a long weekend from Chicago, and lucked out to snag a reservation on 9/9/14. Le Pigeon is not to be missed! We did the tasting menu with wine pairings. Our server, Jessica, was fantastic! She asked if there was anything we didn't want to miss on the menu, and she was made sure it was included in the tasting. Also, my wife and I have different wine tastes, so she altered each of our pairings accordingly. You do not find that kind of attention in all high end restaurants. The food was very good, with a couple dished simply amazing. The flavors were spot on, and everything was nicely balanced. Our favorites that night included the octopus, the rabbit, and the foi gras course. Amazing meal overall!Special Features:
- 7 Course Chef's TastingLJHFDined on 9/9/2014We decided to do the 7 course chef's tasting with wine pairings and it was worth every penny and then some. Every course was solid straight through dessert which you don't often find these days. As far as the wine pairings go; SPOT ON- very well thought out, they don't mess around! I only wish we lived closer (we were visiting from Chicago) so we could frequent more often. I would put this meal in my top 10 meals of all time without a second thought! P.S. The lime tart with Dulce de leche was the best dessert of my LIFE.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant EverHungryboyDined on 9/7/2014This has got to be if not the best at least one of the best restaurants I've ever been to in my life. Maybe a little pricey but worth it! Sadly I'm not from Portland I'm from Los Angeles this is an absolute must for people who like to eat great food. Everything was spot on, the service, the kitchen, The wine recommendations, the presentation, the environment, I loved it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotjoemVIPDined on 9/6/2014Traveling to Portland and glad we made the effort to stop. Everything was prepared perfectly. Creative yet not overly fussy.Special Features:
- Al-around wonderful experienceAdventuerersDined on 8/31/2014Let me start with this: we in Olympia, WA are re-routing our Bend, OR trip to dine at this restaurant w/i a month of our first visit. We never go to the same resaurant w/i 30 days forward. My own short ribs are spectatcular. But, according to my wife, don't touch Peigeon's. Every dish has its unique tastes. The environment is small and very lively, very chic. Our table mates were so interesting that we had to attention-share our food with conversation. Our 3 table spouse-mates were from NYC, Chicago, and Austin, all on 3-day Labor Day trips. Our dinner bill was such that we had room for an upscale tip.Special Features:
- Perfect for special occasionWanderlusterDined on 8/29/2014We come here for every birthday because it's a perfect treat. I adore foie gras and no one does it better in Portland than Le Pigeon. It's not as romantic as some restaurants, but the communal tables are a great excuse to meet new people (this time we sat next to a family from Vancouver who drove the 8 hours just to eat here, and a group from San Fran and New York). The service is excellent without being the least bit pretentious. It's so understated, it's the kind of place you could also drop in for a burger in the middle of the week, sit at the bar, and watch the chefs at work. Versatile and much beloved in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CozyElaineJDined on 8/29/2014Good food and service, but not particularly kid friendly- small and crowded, better for intimate dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delivered on High ExpectationsEater10000VIPDined on 8/27/2014Clearly, this is a place that has a great reputation, and they deliver! We started with a lobster salad, that had fantastic flavor combinations. For the entrees, we had the beef cheeks bourginon and the rockfish. They were prepared very well and tasted great. For dessert, we shared a small peach pie, which was fabulous and sized perfectly. The wine by the glass list is curated superbly; we enjoyed everything that we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite place!KitKatDined on 8/27/2014My friend and I had dinner at Le Pigeon recently and decided we would love to eat there every week. The food was amazing. We sat at the communal table and had plenty of room and privacy really, because of the energetic noise level. Next time we plan to sit at the bar and partake of the chef selections. Not only did I love the food, but also the atmosphere. It's a small, comfortable restaurant and I felt right at home. I would love to just go sit there for hours and have coffee...that's how at home I felt there. I recommend Le Pigeon to all who love the food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodcdubsillyDined on 8/25/2014really enjoyed the whole experience! with wine pairings....Special Features:
- Le Pigeon is a must go!foodiepatoodieDined on 8/25/2014My husband and I LOVE good espresso and foodie-food, period. Yes, it's a popular place, but rightfully so (can you say James Beard Award(s)!! It's AMAZING! We sat at the first come seating, where the chef's do their magic. Not only is the food pretty, but one of the best meals we've had. Good portions, delicious, and cozy. I wouldn't bring the kids. The place is small and more for a adult food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect end to a perfect weekFOODISLIFEDined on 8/24/2014I was traveling to Portland, OR to scope out new job opportunities, and my favorite thing to do is find restaurants like this one. The restaurant itself was dimly lit adding a wonderful ambiance, however it was far from spacious, but it gave the whole place a sense of community. I was able to strike up conversations with several other patrons. The food was beyond anything I could have Imagined, my suggestion to you...order the "Beef Cheek" It will change your life. The staff was friendly, and even though the place was full for our entire visit, our server still had the time to give us suggestions on the menu. I will be moving to Portland within the next few months, and I will be returning to La Pigeon as soon as I can.Special Features:
- Delicious and InventivefoiegrasandhotdogsDined on 8/24/2014We ended our tour of Portland's best with dinner at Le Pigeon. We did the 7 courses and reserve wine pairings. We wish we had more influence on which courses were served - we had told the server that we really wanted the Pigeon course and yet we were not served that - despite the couple next to us getting it on their tasting course. The pacing was fine, but I do want a printed menu nearby and to actually see the wine bottles for the pairings. An impressive course was one we would have never ordered - "Shells" - which was a pasta dish dine with beef cheek and heart over a stew of tripe. It was delicious and country style Italian. Nice that there was classic cooking done here with contemporary twists but no mysterious foams or gels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy of Rave ReviewsTastyDCNYCVIPDined on 8/22/2014Have been using Open Table for years and have dined at some of finest restaurants in NYC, Paris, London, Berlin, Barcelona but this is the first time have felt compelled to write a review. First trip to NE coast. 7:45 reservations. Table not ready but stood outside, enjoying a glass of Fino, watching the hipsters roll by. Inside communal seating. Enjoyed chatting up locals who gave us tips on what to see in the area. Lots of anniversaries being celebrated. 5 course tasting menu of chef's favorites with riserve wine pairings. Each dish surprising, complex, not overwhelming. Dessert: Fois Gras Profiterole. Sounds dubiuos but is genius! Folks seated at the bar got to watch the chef in action. Hip playlist made the evening magical.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.