55 Bond Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lephilosophe.us/
- Phone: 2123880038
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Aita
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room located into our wine cellar features one unique chef table that can seat up to 18 persons. Prix fixe dining options available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Gilles - Manager 2123880038
A word from Le Philosophe
Classic French farm to table bistro located on charming cobbled stoned Bond street, we offer the best of old school french fares with a modern twist.Continued
We cater a great variety of exquisite French wines for our wine enthusiasts.
A la prochaine!
We cater a great variety of exquisite French wines for our wine enthusiasts.
A la prochaine!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Philosophe reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)neighborhood gem (66)romantic (49)notable wine list (47)special occasion (29)great for outdoor dining (21)late-night find (20)great for brunch (14)good for groups (11)hot spot (11)great for lunch (4)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- FoodNaninaDined on 8/24/2014What I look for in restaurants is a good food. Service is not important unless the server completely ignores you. Had dinner for my husbands bday on a sunday night at 7pm, when we went there it was pretty quiet (only about 4 tables) and I got a little scared about how it is going to be. Well, I have to say everything was great. First off, food was excellent, very different, and just what a french restaurant should be like. My favorite of all was frog leggs and the salad with different veggies (yumm) delish delish. Definitely would be back.
- Some of the best French food everFoodheavenVIPDined on 8/22/2014Farm to table. Great veggies. Meat fish lobster Thermidor. This is my new go-to place for awesome authentic French food. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salmon served coolcoolsalmon24Dined on 8/20/2014the salmon entree was overhyped....no crispy salmon skin and was served cool...sent it back to the kitchen to heat up...service good .. wine list fine... might give it one more chance in the winterSpecial Features:
- Fantastique!KateVIPDined on 8/16/2014While we went for a great meal to start a fun night out on a weekend, I think this place might become a go-to any night for my boyfriend and I. It's not cheap by any means, but the portions were appropriate, the wines were great, the cheese board was surprisingly satisfying - and our server helped us with honest recommendations. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Love this placeNeighborVIPDined on 8/14/2014We've been to Le philisophe 3 times and we love it. From the moment you walk in you're greeted so warmly that you feel like you're coming home. The menu is very creative and fresh and all we ordered was delicious. This time we were the last ones to leave and never felt rushed. I look forward to my next visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!CyndyDined on 8/14/2014We ate at Le Philosophe on 8/14/14. Arrived on time at 8:30. Seated immediately. Restaurant was busy but not full. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable about the wine list. We had a very nice Russian River Valley merlot. The food was outstanding! Roasted chicken and flat iron steak were perfectly cooked. Amazing frites came with the steak with a delicious bearnaise sauce. Crepes Suzette and profiteroles for dessert were perfect. Really good meal!Special Features:
- great duck but very noisytheclaVIPDined on 8/12/2014The duck l'orange was excellent as well as the sauteed mushrooms. The grouper was abit bland. The noise level was very high though for such a small place and my friend and I had to shout across the table to talk.Special Features:
- Rustic Classic (Modern) FrenchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014Great, kind of cool rustic atmosphere. Very small. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- contemporary French for alljameslucasDined on 8/10/2014Le Philosophe is rapidly establishing itself as that wonderful kind of restaurant with high-caliber cuisine and a low-key atmosphere, the combination of which allows it to appeal to a wide range of diners. With well modulated portions and no shortage of vegetable-forward dishes, it is a reliable option for diners who are hoping to delight friends or business contacts whose exact preferences may be unknown.Special Features:
- Great DinnerKennyVIPDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I had dinner here for the third time. We were totally satisfied with the food and with the service. Our waitress was amazing. She was very friendly and very professional. The rest of the staff were also great. We love the food here. They also have a great wine list. We had a $20 bottle of wine which was very good.Special Features:
- French elegance w/out AttitudeJakeremi123Dined on 8/5/2014Le Philosophe is an adult modern French Restaurant that is tailored to the NYC taste for fresh and clean and modern spins on the classics. It delivers and it's ambience is cultured and relaxed… But, serious food. It lives up to its' name by being sophisticated and mature.Special Features:
- Under-the-radar and greatrpsnycVIPDined on 8/1/2014I've eaten dinner at Le Philosophe three times and each time the food has been excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing. Every single time.MrSundayJohnsonVIPDined on 7/31/2014A new, and more extensive menu, make this Top Notch (but so relaxed) restaurant one of the best places in NYC to chill, eat, and be blown away with the food. Truly, reminiscent of cuisine long since gone , and recreated here in an updated format. Order the radishes. Order the Rossinini "Bleu." Like no other exquisite execution of menu items unavailable for too many years. You know what they are. You know what you like. Go. It's right here. Order something you've never had before. Be brave. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Worth it! Give this one a try.Swp7722VIPDined on 7/30/2014Food was beyond perfect -- delicious, artfully presented, limited and varied choices on the menu. Décor was hip, tastefully demure grunge, on trend for a je ne said quoi dining experience! Service -- over and beyond, discreet and invisible but all encompassing. Price -- on the high side, but probably not high for NYC. We would go back again! I would highly recommend. We were thrilled and delighted. Most of all, the food and wine were sublime.Special Features:
- wonderful summer dinner spotDB13Dined on 7/22/2014the dining room was open to the outside, so we could enjoy the summer eve without having to eat on the sidewalk. the food was inventive and delicious. service was informed and solicitous. mild complaint that they served us too quickly--we could have used a bit more time between courses to relax. excellent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelVIPDined on 7/21/2014a very comfortable spot to find good food along with very good vibes for dining.Special Features:
- Excellent BistrodmartVIPDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I came on a Saturday night on the recommendation of a friend, and we are glad we did. The service in this small, friendly bistro is fantastic, the wine list diverse with plenty of moderately priced options, and the food was great. If you are looking for a cool, unpretentious place with great French food and a service staff that is attentive, knowledgeable and friendly, this Le Philosophe is worth the $$$. But note you could also easily have a great meal here for a very reasonable bill.Special Features:
- Magnifiqueleo30thVIPDined on 7/12/2014Le Philosophe never disappoints! I've been here on many occassions but on the last visit we were a party of 6. The service was outstanding, our waiter was fantastic, and the food was amazing, as always. HIGHLY recommended!Special Features:
- melLDined on 7/12/2014Very Good food and service with a few outdoor tables that have nice outdoor atmosphere with little NY traffic to bother you during dinner. You also never know when a celebrity like Annette Benning will be at the next table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighborhood FrenchDakotaDined on 6/23/2014This is a nice neighborhood place if you want a French food fix. Sincere, classic, on the pricy side, although the wine list is very reasonably priced. The staff was friendly and the sidewalk seating is far enough from cars and foot traffic to be comfortable.Special Features:
- WonderfulSatisfiedVIPDined on 6/17/2014Our meal was exceptional. We had cote de boeuf, which was a special addition to the menu that evening.
- Smart, Really Good French CookingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/17/2014This restaurant puts some classic French dishes on a very simple menu and you will not be disappointed...the food is fresh, well thought out and takes classic recipes and puts a modern twist without diluting the source... The veal stew (Blanquette) is a must. The frogs legs (boneless) amazing (tender chunks, boneless, tastes like delicate chicken), the duck excellent, clams, soups...all top notch...wonderful wine list with a great variety of regions and fair prices... Yeah..just go...the chef and the owner know what they are doing...and the staff is friendly and attentive...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemMichaelVIPDined on 6/17/2014What a pleasant dinner experience with great food and equally great service. My second time and I understand why I rebooked for this dinner with friends.Special Features:
- great timehappycamperDined on 6/15/2014Lovely evening - all diners cleaned (almost licked) the plates! Very accommodating to food requests/ substitutions and allergies. We go there early evening and had wonderful conversation, but noted the noise level increased with later crowds and music - conversatino became a bit harder. Friendly service and comfortable , but hip atmosphere. Love the philosophers on the wall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond Expectation!AstiVIPDined on 6/14/2014Our first time at Le Philosophe and it won't be the last! Our server, Geraldine, was absolutely fantastic - very attentive, friendly and helpful. They dealt with my pepper allergy in an expert manner and tailored a dish so that I could enjoy it. We enjoyed fantastic provencal clams, lobster thermidor and the steak frites. The wine list is also very good with fantastic selections from France. This restaurant is the real deal. All dishes were prepared beautifully and tasted equally wonderful. This restaurant is a real gem and we would recommend it to anyone who enjoys great food prepared expertly with fantastic service! We truly had a wonderful time - thanks so much!Special Features:
- Le Philosophe is all about foodfood4lifeVIPDined on 6/6/2014Chef-Owner Amadeus Han has been a godsend to the New York dining world. For 20-years I pined for an authentic Swiss-French country restaurant, one that would transport me back to the incredible freshness and heartiness of food careful cultivated, lovingly prepared, and intended fill both your heart and your stomach. I smile just thinking about this place. You will too. It's very relaxed, a little noisy, a little crowded, but with exciting people who've come there to eat. And, Amadeus? Well, he inhabits his restaurant like a guardian angel ...the hardest working guardian angel I've ever known!Special Features:
- Ray1Geno1Dined on 5/31/2014A wonderful find in a great neighborhood. I had the lamb special and my wife had the trout special - both were cooked and prepared perfectly. The wine list was accommodating of all pallets and budgets. Wait staff was attentive, friendly and knowledgable. We will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014One of the most amazing and fabulous meals I have had in NYC. Truly a wonderful dining experience for all of us. We were celebrating a birthday and the entire evening was so fun and the food was everything we thought it would be and more!Special Features:
- Simply superbpetriDined on 5/18/2014A neighborhood gem, a place to have a great, "something special", meal for lunch or dinner. Friendly service, simply perfect from every perspective.Special Features:
- Great French placeLuccioSDined on 5/16/2014Good wines, great orange duck and crepe Suzette. Nice choicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food; Terrible ServicellnycVIPDined on 5/16/2014The food is amazing here. Delicious, delicate and wonderful. The service is AWFUL. From the hostess who told us our table would be "3 minutes": We ended up having to wait 40 minutes for our table, no apology or acknowledgment. But a LOT of pressure to go to the bar to get some wine. From the busboys and servers: Don't expect people to not get in the way if the bar is in front of the kitchen. It's not our fault for having to stand here drinking wine and the "UGH!" every time the servers had to walk past us was very off putting. From our waitress PAMELA: Probably the least 'service' received. Every question we asked (specials, recommendations) were met with bored looks and unhelpful responses. "The chicken is good."Special Features:
- Nice ambience but food was just okNYCgirlDined on 5/11/2014Overall experience was good. Ambience and service were exceptional. Had the bone marrow & mussels as our appetizers. I would say the portion is good for 2 people. Duck l'orange and Tournedos Rossini for our main dish. They weren't mind blowing and was a tad salty for me.Special Features:
- Good food, but service can improve.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Probably the best eggs benedict in town. Service was a bit slow, though. The drinks arrived long after the food.Special Features:
- Lovely people, lovely food!JoannmVIPDined on 5/11/2014I was so impressed with Le Philosophe. First of all, I booked a table for Mother's Day -- changed the time twice and was running late to boot. But every time I called they were so sweet. And the food was amazing!! Very creative and great. Had the Fois Gras crepe for appetizer and a lovely trout on top of almond puree for main course. The mimosas were awesome. My partner got the eggs Benedict which was served over home made english muffins. I loved our server (forgot his name but he is bald with lovely mustache) and would go back. The only negative is it is noisy and therefore wouldn't be a great romantic spot. The food is but the atmosphere is more energetic ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect little French bistroChefGeorgeDined on 5/5/2014Like being transported to Paris. Everything was good. Great classic bistro menu - I had always wanted to try blanquette de veau, and theirs was great. Delicious frogs legs off the bone for easier eating. Wife's roast chicken (poussin) was perfect. Wonderful crepes suzette after. Nice affordable wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findNikiVIPDined on 5/3/2014Delicious food, excellent service. Just wish the portions were slightly larger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 228 reviews are from the Le Philosophe reviews archive.
- Wonderful staff, good, spaceJayFossDined on 4/29/2014We had an early week night dinner here before theater. Food was excellent, smallish menu of French- and local produce-inspired options. Our table of 5 ordered 7 items and liked all if them. Service was unhurried but very helpful and just what we needed to be done on a schedule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, nice decorOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/28/2014Been here 4 times the food is consistently great, the service is very attentive & the ambience is excellent highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPhilDined on 4/27/2014What a pleasure. Good food, service, atmosphere (I could actually hold a conversation without saying 'what') and a very interesting and reasonably priced wine list (Potensac '96 at under $100). An honest resto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/20/2014Definitely my favourite brunch place in the area. Service is attentive but relaxed, the maitre'd is a gentlemen. Food was delicious. Go for the classic steak with potatoe fries. Just excellent.Special Features: