55 Bond Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lephilosophe.us/
- Phone: (212) 388-0038
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Aita
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room located into our wine cellar features one unique chef table that can seat up to 18 persons. Prix fixe dining options available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Gilles - Manager 2123880038
A word from Le Philosophe
Classic French farm to table bistro located on charming cobbled stoned Bond street, we offer the best of old school french fares with a modern twist.Continued
We cater a great variety of exquisite French wines for our wine enthusiasts.
A la prochaine!
We cater a great variety of exquisite French wines for our wine enthusiasts.
A la prochaine!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Philosophe reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (89)neighborhood gem (76)romantic (43)notable wine list (39)special occasion (24)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (11)great for brunch (10)late-night find (9)great for lunch (9)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Inday Cely New Rochelle NYCelyDined on 11/19/2014Staff was friendly & attentive but food was a disappointment. I had frogs legs & the were tough & tasteless. The roasted sweetbreads had a funny sour-sweet sauce with horseradish. My husband's tournedos Rossini was delicious once they got it right. He ordered it med rare & got it well done. When they brought it back, it was cooked perfectly ( for $49.00). I had Crepes Suzette & cappucino & both were very good. For the price I don't think we'll be coming back.
- Excellent service and charcutterieNickBurnsDined on 11/15/2014Great attention to detail and wonderful foie gras.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, friendly waiter, unnecessary musicLucullusDined on 11/13/2014The food was original and very well prepared: sweetbreads, blanquette de veau (veal with rice and an exquisite sauce), Tatin pie for dessert. An authentic French menu. I missed the bone marrow, which I had on an earlier occasion but was not on the menu this time. The restaurant is small and noisy, partly because of the unnecessary music, to which nobody pays attention and which is a nuisance. It should be turned off so that people don't have to speak so loud to be heard. The neighborhood is an attraction in and of itself and warrants a pre- or post-dinner stroll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!!!!Lark23VIPDined on 11/8/2014Food was delicious!!! We had the veal & the duck - both outstanding!!! Great wine list & the staff was incredibly attentive & very welcoming!!!!!Special Features:
- Really, really good steak-fritesgdoesnycDined on 11/8/2014Delicious. Hollandaise was a great addition to the plate. Seasonal menu. No issue cooking steak a bit longer. Waitress knew her wine. French pronunciations of food were pronounced well (pain point for me). Good date spot from 6:00-8:00 pm, in terms of noise level. Desserts were yummy and perfect for two. Will definitely dine here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beware of the cellarceb22Dined on 11/7/2014The restaurant has a main room, and 3 tables in a cellar, downstairs, that can accommodate up to 14 people. We had no idea when we booked, and of course got directed to the cellar without a possibility to opt out. Despite music, good service, and a fully stocked wall of bottles, the cellar does not match the vibrant ambiance of the main floor, with view on the open kitchen. Not the end of the world, but if it matters to you, better request 'main floor' on your reservation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GastonSingeVIPDined on 11/7/2014The food was really quite good and innovative. The service however was a mess. After asking the server numerous times where the sides were that we ordered one of two finally arrived just as we finished our main courses! The amateur timing was quite a disappointment given the high quality of the food that did arrive.
- DossieVIPDined on 11/7/2014While the staff was friendly and adept and the clientele pleasant, and the menu varied and interesting, I came away disappointed. The frogs legs were not traditional but chopped into small pieces served in an unidentifiable green sauce and my husband's mussels tiny and dry in a bland potato sauce. I expected more from the chef!
- ExcellentsporkinnewyorkDined on 11/6/2014Fantastic service, excellent (as always) food, interesting wine list, happy there are now apertifs.Special Features:
- great food, fun spotvk255Dined on 11/1/2014A bit noisy and crowded, depends which table you get, but wonderful food, fantastic service and an extensive wine list.Special Features:
- JohnDined on 10/31/2014We ate at this restaurant on Halloween night after seeing a show at the Public Theatre. The food was quite good and the lady who served us was very pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately, I don't recall her name but she is an asset to the restaurant. We look forward to returning and would recommend the restaurant enthusiastically-we already have.Special Features:
- Le PhilosopheLion26KingVIPDined on 10/31/2014It was so great I felt like I was in Paris! But they do need some more lighting on their street front. For full write-up go to www.celluloidclub.blogspot.com.Special Features:
- Perfectly cookedHuciferDined on 10/27/2014I suppose I went boring and safe by ordering the salmon, but it did not disappoint at all. It was perfectly cooked. Possibly the best prepared salmon I've ever had. And the flavor! The tangy, acidic sauce complemented the salmon while still letting the fish's flavor be its own star. The crispy skin set this dish over the edge for me. I've never had salmon prepared this way. The salmon was accompanied with a roasted cauliflower side that in itself stood out...my coworker, who ordered the same dish, agreed that the cauliflower was unbelievably good. We were both disappointed that we didn't get more on our plate. I did start with the cauliflower soup, which was very good. The addition of almonds to the soup was a delicious complement.Special Features:
- wonderful brunchDeborahVIPDined on 10/26/2014Excellent brunch with nice selection of tartines and the perfect menu ranging from eggs to hamburgers but with french quality cuisine. Will be back!Special Features:
- Great date night location!sc2590Dined on 10/25/2014I was looking for a nice and fun/vibrant restaurant to take my picky boyfriend. Our waiter was super friendly, fun, very relatable, and not at all snooty. We ordered the frog legs, which came with a fantastic green sauce. My boyfriend got the steak frites which was delicious, and I got the duck a l'orange which was also fantastic. Cheers to great service and a fun ambiance! We will be back.Special Features:
- Birthday find...GettefoxDined on 10/25/2014Everything was lovely except that although the person who called to confirm our reservation knew it was a birthday, nothing special was done - no corner table, no desserton the house. So why bother to note it? Otherwise it was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, cute placeCali75VIPDined on 10/24/2014I like the place a lot, it's not too big, it's not too small, very nice design. The food was all excellent, and the service attentive. Great french fare with some american influence. Nice spot with friends or a date.Special Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood gem!PollyDined on 10/24/2014Stumbled on to this small French restaurant in Noho and it was perfect! The open kitchen vibrant with action crankin out some of the best French food I've had since Paris! The cheese and charcuterie with a fabulous glass of rose' made me start speaking with a French accent! Then the mussels... Oh my... the ambiance in this place is sophisticated and warm... bring a date if you want to leave a lasting impression! Tres, tres bien!!Special Features:
- Classic!rk123VIPDined on 10/23/2014A great spot that you can always count on having a pleasant experience at. Also nice that you know you aren't signing up for a 3-4 hour wait, like many of NYC's hot spots.Special Features:
- huge successOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/20/2014I had been to the restaurant when they were open for lunch during the week and was dying to get back - took a minute - brought good friends to celebrate group birthdays and it was a huge success - everyone loved it and was gushing the next day. A new go to. We missed the profiteroles that night but from experience I can tell you they are sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Sunday NightziptalkerVIPDined on 10/19/2014Food was excellent, very hard to find a blanquette de veau nowadays and theirs was delicious. Sweet bread appetizer was also wonderful. Nice wine list with many choices under $50. Service was attentive and ambience was very nice. It was a nice romantic Sunday night dinner until one group of 4 showed up that felt they had to talk at the top of their lungs making further conversation at reasonable levels impossible for the rest of us there. It finally got quiet again once they were served their food. I suppose when busy on a Friday or Saturday the noise level would be "energetic" as there didn't seem to be any significant sound dampening present. But even knowing that, I would go back!Special Features:
- Hidden bistro-luxe gemMeggyeatsDined on 10/4/2014Overall a wonderful experience, was a little sad my request for cozy corner wasn't accomadated (celebrating hubby's bday) but instead we were placed at awkward aisle table :(. I ordered the flat iron steak which was like butter---deelish and hubby ordered duck which he enjoyed too. Would rate higher if we had been placed at an inside table away from bustle of staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChazVIPDined on 10/3/2014Our third visit and while menu remains interesting, execution has slipped. Frogs legs seriously under seasoned. Wood pigeon excellent but served on a cold plate so that it rapidly lost flavor. Too bad, because it was well prepared. Wine list contains many good choices.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Great wine selection, an interesting menu, good ambiance and friendly service. Overall a positive experience and will definitely go back!Special Features:
- What a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/28/2014After much excitement for a new Restaurant in the neighborhood- I was completely underwhelmed. The service and the menu leaved little to be desired. We had to ask for a bread basket, after being served a sad omelette on a barren plate and was not offered anything to accompany it, then were charged a ridiculous amount for Ice Tea refills. I wanted to love this Restaurant as it's namesake in Paris in Le Marais is one of my favorites. Unfortunately this is not going to be a neighborhood standby. It's a shame.
- mixed experiencepammyjeanDined on 9/25/2014as I said, mixed experience at dinner a few nights ago. we had superb duck, but not so good cauliflower soup. when the wine we ordered was unavailable the waiter brought us a better bottle for the same price, which was very nice. the waiter forgot one of our sides, but then gave us each a free dessert wine. the desserts arrived...... but we had to ask for cutlery to eat them. so it was a bumpy night. all in all a nice atmosphere and we still enjoyed ourselves
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2014SUCH great french food. the duck rillette is riduckulous. Great wine list, although wish they had more by the glass options. Coravin anyone?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not perfectPeteVIPDined on 9/16/2014A concept restaurant (old school Paris bistro) with decent foor and sketchy service. The chalkboard menu with daily specials is actually just decoration!!
- wonderful brunchctgourmandVIPDined on 9/14/2014We had an excellent brunch here with great service. We look forward to coming back for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Performance PerfectionPeters137VIPDined on 9/13/2014Could not ask for a better dining experience on the way to a performance at Dixon Place. The food was creative and perfectly prepared in the French tradition, service was attentive and responsive to the time constraints for a party of 5. The waiter took time to explore wine choices with us and chat briefly after each course arrived. At Le Philosophe the actions speak as loud as the words. Look forward to our next visit to this friendly bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2014Excellent menu creative and well prepared with good service in a casual neighborhood space.Special Features:
- My New Favorite BistroFrednycVIPDined on 9/4/2014After reviewing a review in the NY Times, I made a note of a place to try. I waited 6 months - way too long. It is just wonderful. Friendly staff (bar, dining and front) and excellent bistro fare. We had an opportunity to chat with Chef Matt Aita and he is enthusiastic and charming. The food was - well just great. Made another reservation for next week. Can't wait for them to get their liquor license. A french bistro without martinis is well - likely a missing course.Special Features:
- DinerLaBouffeDined on 9/4/2014Had the prix fixe menu. Appetizer was the salmon tartare which was bland. On the other hand the skate with fennel and tapenade was a delight as was the mousse au chocolat. Noise level due to background music makes conversation across the table difficult at times. Otherwise a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- Classic dishes with a twistCG36VIPDined on 8/27/2014We loved the food. We will definitely be back throughout the seasons. Classic French dishes made well with a twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodNaninaDined on 8/24/2014What I look for in restaurants is a good food. Service is not important unless the server completely ignores you. Had dinner for my husbands bday on a sunday night at 7pm, when we went there it was pretty quiet (only about 4 tables) and I got a little scared about how it is going to be. Well, I have to say everything was great. First off, food was excellent, very different, and just what a french restaurant should be like. My favorite of all was frog leggs and the salad with different veggies (yumm) delish delish. Definitely would be back.
- Some of the best French food everFoodheavenVIPDined on 8/22/2014Farm to table. Great veggies. Meat fish lobster Thermidor. This is my new go-to place for awesome authentic French food. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salmon served coolcoolsalmon24Dined on 8/20/2014the salmon entree was overhyped....no crispy salmon skin and was served cool...sent it back to the kitchen to heat up...service good .. wine list fine... might give it one more chance in the winterSpecial Features:
- Fantastique!KateVIPDined on 8/16/2014While we went for a great meal to start a fun night out on a weekend, I think this place might become a go-to any night for my boyfriend and I. It's not cheap by any means, but the portions were appropriate, the wines were great, the cheese board was surprisingly satisfying - and our server helped us with honest recommendations. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Love this placeNeighborVIPDined on 8/14/2014We've been to Le philisophe 3 times and we love it. From the moment you walk in you're greeted so warmly that you feel like you're coming home. The menu is very creative and fresh and all we ordered was delicious. This time we were the last ones to leave and never felt rushed. I look forward to my next visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!CyndyDined on 8/14/2014We ate at Le Philosophe on 8/14/14. Arrived on time at 8:30. Seated immediately. Restaurant was busy but not full. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable about the wine list. We had a very nice Russian River Valley merlot. The food was outstanding! Roasted chicken and flat iron steak were perfectly cooked. Amazing frites came with the steak with a delicious bearnaise sauce. Crepes Suzette and profiteroles for dessert were perfect. Really good meal!Special Features: