55 Bond Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lephilosophe.us/
- Phone: 2123880038
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Aita
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room located into our wine cellar features one unique chef table that can seat up to 18 persons. Prix fixe dining options available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Gilles - Manager 2123880038
A word from Le Philosophe
Classic French farm to table bistro located on charming cobbled stoned Bond street, we offer the best of old school french fares with a modern twist.Continued
We cater a great variety of exquisite French wines for our wine enthusiasts.
A la prochaine!
We cater a great variety of exquisite French wines for our wine enthusiasts.
A la prochaine!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Philosophe reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (70)neighborhood gem (65)notable wine list (37)romantic (35)great for outdoor dining (18)special occasion (16)late-night find (12)great for brunch (11)good for groups (9)great for lunch (8)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- What a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/28/2014After much excitement for a new Restaurant in the neighborhood- I was completely underwhelmed. The service and the menu leaved little to be desired. We had to ask for a bread basket, after being served a sad omelette on a barren plate and was not offered anything to accompany it, then were charged a ridiculous amount for Ice Tea refills. I wanted to love this Restaurant as it's namesake in Paris in Le Marais is one of my favorites. Unfortunately this is not going to be a neighborhood standby. It's a shame.
- mixed experiencepammyjeanDined on 9/25/2014as I said, mixed experience at dinner a few nights ago. we had superb duck, but not so good cauliflower soup. when the wine we ordered was unavailable the waiter brought us a better bottle for the same price, which was very nice. the waiter forgot one of our sides, but then gave us each a free dessert wine. the desserts arrived...... but we had to ask for cutlery to eat them. so it was a bumpy night. all in all a nice atmosphere and we still enjoyed ourselves
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2014SUCH great french food. the duck rillette is riduckulous. Great wine list, although wish they had more by the glass options. Coravin anyone?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not perfectPeteVIPDined on 9/16/2014A concept restaurant (old school Paris bistro) with decent foor and sketchy service. The chalkboard menu with daily specials is actually just decoration!!
- wonderful brunchctgourmandDined on 9/14/2014We had an excellent brunch here with great service. We look forward to coming back for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Performance PerfectionPeters137Dined on 9/13/2014Could not ask for a better dining experience on the way to a performance at Dixon Place. The food was creative and perfectly prepared in the French tradition, service was attentive and responsive to the time constraints for a party of 5. The waiter took time to explore wine choices with us and chat briefly after each course arrived. At Le Philosophe the actions speak as loud as the words. Look forward to our next visit to this friendly bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2014Excellent menu creative and well prepared with good service in a casual neighborhood space.Special Features:
- My New Favorite BistroFrednycVIPDined on 9/4/2014After reviewing a review in the NY Times, I made a note of a place to try. I waited 6 months - way too long. It is just wonderful. Friendly staff (bar, dining and front) and excellent bistro fare. We had an opportunity to chat with Chef Matt Aita and he is enthusiastic and charming. The food was - well just great. Made another reservation for next week. Can't wait for them to get their liquor license. A french bistro without martinis is well - likely a missing course.Special Features:
- DinerLaBouffeDined on 9/4/2014Had the prix fixe menu. Appetizer was the salmon tartare which was bland. On the other hand the skate with fennel and tapenade was a delight as was the mousse au chocolat. Noise level due to background music makes conversation across the table difficult at times. Otherwise a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- Classic dishes with a twistCG36VIPDined on 8/27/2014We loved the food. We will definitely be back throughout the seasons. Classic French dishes made well with a twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodNaninaDined on 8/24/2014What I look for in restaurants is a good food. Service is not important unless the server completely ignores you. Had dinner for my husbands bday on a sunday night at 7pm, when we went there it was pretty quiet (only about 4 tables) and I got a little scared about how it is going to be. Well, I have to say everything was great. First off, food was excellent, very different, and just what a french restaurant should be like. My favorite of all was frog leggs and the salad with different veggies (yumm) delish delish. Definitely would be back.
- Some of the best French food everFoodheavenVIPDined on 8/22/2014Farm to table. Great veggies. Meat fish lobster Thermidor. This is my new go-to place for awesome authentic French food. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salmon served coolcoolsalmon24Dined on 8/20/2014the salmon entree was overhyped....no crispy salmon skin and was served cool...sent it back to the kitchen to heat up...service good .. wine list fine... might give it one more chance in the winterSpecial Features:
- Fantastique!KateVIPDined on 8/16/2014While we went for a great meal to start a fun night out on a weekend, I think this place might become a go-to any night for my boyfriend and I. It's not cheap by any means, but the portions were appropriate, the wines were great, the cheese board was surprisingly satisfying - and our server helped us with honest recommendations. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Love this placeNeighborVIPDined on 8/14/2014We've been to Le philisophe 3 times and we love it. From the moment you walk in you're greeted so warmly that you feel like you're coming home. The menu is very creative and fresh and all we ordered was delicious. This time we were the last ones to leave and never felt rushed. I look forward to my next visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!CyndyDined on 8/14/2014We ate at Le Philosophe on 8/14/14. Arrived on time at 8:30. Seated immediately. Restaurant was busy but not full. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable about the wine list. We had a very nice Russian River Valley merlot. The food was outstanding! Roasted chicken and flat iron steak were perfectly cooked. Amazing frites came with the steak with a delicious bearnaise sauce. Crepes Suzette and profiteroles for dessert were perfect. Really good meal!Special Features:
- great duck but very noisytheclaVIPDined on 8/12/2014The duck l'orange was excellent as well as the sauteed mushrooms. The grouper was abit bland. The noise level was very high though for such a small place and my friend and I had to shout across the table to talk.Special Features:
- Rustic Classic (Modern) FrenchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014Great, kind of cool rustic atmosphere. Very small. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- contemporary French for alljameslucasDined on 8/10/2014Le Philosophe is rapidly establishing itself as that wonderful kind of restaurant with high-caliber cuisine and a low-key atmosphere, the combination of which allows it to appeal to a wide range of diners. With well modulated portions and no shortage of vegetable-forward dishes, it is a reliable option for diners who are hoping to delight friends or business contacts whose exact preferences may be unknown.Special Features:
- Great DinnerKennyVIPDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I had dinner here for the third time. We were totally satisfied with the food and with the service. Our waitress was amazing. She was very friendly and very professional. The rest of the staff were also great. We love the food here. They also have a great wine list. We had a $20 bottle of wine which was very good.Special Features:
- French elegance w/out AttitudeJakeremi123Dined on 8/5/2014Le Philosophe is an adult modern French Restaurant that is tailored to the NYC taste for fresh and clean and modern spins on the classics. It delivers and it's ambience is cultured and relaxed… But, serious food. It lives up to its' name by being sophisticated and mature.Special Features:
- Under-the-radar and greatrpsnycVIPDined on 8/1/2014I've eaten dinner at Le Philosophe three times and each time the food has been excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing. Every single time.MrSundayJohnsonVIPDined on 7/31/2014A new, and more extensive menu, make this Top Notch (but so relaxed) restaurant one of the best places in NYC to chill, eat, and be blown away with the food. Truly, reminiscent of cuisine long since gone , and recreated here in an updated format. Order the radishes. Order the Rossinini "Bleu." Like no other exquisite execution of menu items unavailable for too many years. You know what they are. You know what you like. Go. It's right here. Order something you've never had before. Be brave. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Worth it! Give this one a try.Swp7722VIPDined on 7/30/2014Food was beyond perfect -- delicious, artfully presented, limited and varied choices on the menu. Décor was hip, tastefully demure grunge, on trend for a je ne said quoi dining experience! Service -- over and beyond, discreet and invisible but all encompassing. Price -- on the high side, but probably not high for NYC. We would go back again! I would highly recommend. We were thrilled and delighted. Most of all, the food and wine were sublime.Special Features:
- wonderful summer dinner spotDB13Dined on 7/22/2014the dining room was open to the outside, so we could enjoy the summer eve without having to eat on the sidewalk. the food was inventive and delicious. service was informed and solicitous. mild complaint that they served us too quickly--we could have used a bit more time between courses to relax. excellent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelVIPDined on 7/21/2014a very comfortable spot to find good food along with very good vibes for dining.Special Features:
- Excellent BistrodmartVIPDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I came on a Saturday night on the recommendation of a friend, and we are glad we did. The service in this small, friendly bistro is fantastic, the wine list diverse with plenty of moderately priced options, and the food was great. If you are looking for a cool, unpretentious place with great French food and a service staff that is attentive, knowledgeable and friendly, this Le Philosophe is worth the $$$. But note you could also easily have a great meal here for a very reasonable bill.Special Features:
- Magnifiqueleo30thVIPDined on 7/12/2014Le Philosophe never disappoints! I've been here on many occassions but on the last visit we were a party of 6. The service was outstanding, our waiter was fantastic, and the food was amazing, as always. HIGHLY recommended!Special Features:
- melLDined on 7/12/2014Very Good food and service with a few outdoor tables that have nice outdoor atmosphere with little NY traffic to bother you during dinner. You also never know when a celebrity like Annette Benning will be at the next table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighborhood FrenchDakotaDined on 6/23/2014This is a nice neighborhood place if you want a French food fix. Sincere, classic, on the pricy side, although the wine list is very reasonably priced. The staff was friendly and the sidewalk seating is far enough from cars and foot traffic to be comfortable.Special Features:
- WonderfulSatisfiedVIPDined on 6/17/2014Our meal was exceptional. We had cote de boeuf, which was a special addition to the menu that evening.
- Smart, Really Good French CookingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/17/2014This restaurant puts some classic French dishes on a very simple menu and you will not be disappointed...the food is fresh, well thought out and takes classic recipes and puts a modern twist without diluting the source... The veal stew (Blanquette) is a must. The frogs legs (boneless) amazing (tender chunks, boneless, tastes like delicate chicken), the duck excellent, clams, soups...all top notch...wonderful wine list with a great variety of regions and fair prices... Yeah..just go...the chef and the owner know what they are doing...and the staff is friendly and attentive...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemMichaelVIPDined on 6/17/2014What a pleasant dinner experience with great food and equally great service. My second time and I understand why I rebooked for this dinner with friends.Special Features:
- great timehappycamperDined on 6/15/2014Lovely evening - all diners cleaned (almost licked) the plates! Very accommodating to food requests/ substitutions and allergies. We go there early evening and had wonderful conversation, but noted the noise level increased with later crowds and music - conversatino became a bit harder. Friendly service and comfortable , but hip atmosphere. Love the philosophers on the wall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond Expectation!AstiVIPDined on 6/14/2014Our first time at Le Philosophe and it won't be the last! Our server, Geraldine, was absolutely fantastic - very attentive, friendly and helpful. They dealt with my pepper allergy in an expert manner and tailored a dish so that I could enjoy it. We enjoyed fantastic provencal clams, lobster thermidor and the steak frites. The wine list is also very good with fantastic selections from France. This restaurant is the real deal. All dishes were prepared beautifully and tasted equally wonderful. This restaurant is a real gem and we would recommend it to anyone who enjoys great food prepared expertly with fantastic service! We truly had a wonderful time - thanks so much!Special Features:
- Le Philosophe is all about foodfood4lifeVIPDined on 6/6/2014Chef-Owner Amadeus Han has been a godsend to the New York dining world. For 20-years I pined for an authentic Swiss-French country restaurant, one that would transport me back to the incredible freshness and heartiness of food careful cultivated, lovingly prepared, and intended fill both your heart and your stomach. I smile just thinking about this place. You will too. It's very relaxed, a little noisy, a little crowded, but with exciting people who've come there to eat. And, Amadeus? Well, he inhabits his restaurant like a guardian angel ...the hardest working guardian angel I've ever known!Special Features:
- The following 238 reviews are from the Le Philosophe reviews archive.
- Ray1Geno1Dined on 5/31/2014A wonderful find in a great neighborhood. I had the lamb special and my wife had the trout special - both were cooked and prepared perfectly. The wine list was accommodating of all pallets and budgets. Wait staff was attentive, friendly and knowledgable. We will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014One of the most amazing and fabulous meals I have had in NYC. Truly a wonderful dining experience for all of us. We were celebrating a birthday and the entire evening was so fun and the food was everything we thought it would be and more!Special Features:
- Simply superbpetriDined on 5/18/2014A neighborhood gem, a place to have a great, "something special", meal for lunch or dinner. Friendly service, simply perfect from every perspective.Special Features:
- Great French placeLuccioSDined on 5/16/2014Good wines, great orange duck and crepe Suzette. Nice choicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.