55 Bond Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lephilosophe.us/
- Phone: 2123880038
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Aita
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room located into our wine cellar features one unique chef table that can seat up to 18 persons. Prix fixe dining options available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Gilles - Manager 2123880038
A word from Le Philosophe
Classic French farm to table bistro located on charming cobbled stoned Bond street, we offer the best of old school french fares with a modern twist.Continued
We cater a great variety of exquisite French wines for our wine enthusiasts.
A la prochaine!
We cater a great variety of exquisite French wines for our wine enthusiasts.
A la prochaine!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Philosophe reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)neighborhood gem (66)romantic (38)notable wine list (33)special occasion (21)great for outdoor dining (19)hot spot (10)late-night find (10)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (9)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Perfectly cookedHuciferDined on 10/27/2014I suppose I went boring and safe by ordering the salmon, but it did not disappoint at all. It was perfectly cooked. Possibly the best prepared salmon I've ever had. And the flavor! The tangy, acidic sauce complemented the salmon while still letting the fish's flavor be its own star. The crispy skin set this dish over the edge for me. I've never had salmon prepared this way. The salmon was accompanied with a roasted cauliflower side that in itself stood out...my coworker, who ordered the same dish, agreed that the cauliflower was unbelievably good. We were both disappointed that we didn't get more on our plate. I did start with the cauliflower soup, which was very good. The addition of almonds to the soup was a delicious complement.Special Features:
- wonderful brunchDeborahVIPDined on 10/26/2014Excellent brunch with nice selection of tartines and the perfect menu ranging from eggs to hamburgers but with french quality cuisine. Will be back!Special Features:
- Birthday find...GettefoxDined on 10/25/2014Everything was lovely except that although the person who called to confirm our reservation knew it was a birthday, nothing special was done - no corner table, no desserton the house. So why bother to note it? Otherwise it was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, cute placeCali75VIPDined on 10/24/2014I like the place a lot, it's not too big, it's not too small, very nice design. The food was all excellent, and the service attentive. Great french fare with some american influence. Nice spot with friends or a date.Special Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood gem!PollyDined on 10/24/2014Stumbled on to this small French restaurant in Noho and it was perfect! The open kitchen vibrant with action crankin out some of the best French food I've had since Paris! The cheese and charcuterie with a fabulous glass of rose' made me start speaking with a French accent! Then the mussels... Oh my... the ambiance in this place is sophisticated and warm... bring a date if you want to leave a lasting impression! Tres, tres bien!!Special Features:
- Classic!rk123VIPDined on 10/23/2014A great spot that you can always count on having a pleasant experience at. Also nice that you know you aren't signing up for a 3-4 hour wait, like many of NYC's hot spots.Special Features:
- huge successOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/20/2014I had been to the restaurant when they were open for lunch during the week and was dying to get back - took a minute - brought good friends to celebrate group birthdays and it was a huge success - everyone loved it and was gushing the next day. A new go to. We missed the profiteroles that night but from experience I can tell you they are sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Sunday NightziptalkerVIPDined on 10/19/2014Food was excellent, very hard to find a blanquette de veau nowadays and theirs was delicious. Sweet bread appetizer was also wonderful. Nice wine list with many choices under $50. Service was attentive and ambience was very nice. It was a nice romantic Sunday night dinner until one group of 4 showed up that felt they had to talk at the top of their lungs making further conversation at reasonable levels impossible for the rest of us there. It finally got quiet again once they were served their food. I suppose when busy on a Friday or Saturday the noise level would be "energetic" as there didn't seem to be any significant sound dampening present. But even knowing that, I would go back!Special Features:
- Hidden bistro-luxe gemMeggyeatsDined on 10/4/2014Overall a wonderful experience, was a little sad my request for cozy corner wasn't accomadated (celebrating hubby's bday) but instead we were placed at awkward aisle table :(. I ordered the flat iron steak which was like butter---deelish and hubby ordered duck which he enjoyed too. Would rate higher if we had been placed at an inside table away from bustle of staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChazVIPDined on 10/3/2014Our third visit and while menu remains interesting, execution has slipped. Frogs legs seriously under seasoned. Wood pigeon excellent but served on a cold plate so that it rapidly lost flavor. Too bad, because it was well prepared. Wine list contains many good choices.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Great wine selection, an interesting menu, good ambiance and friendly service. Overall a positive experience and will definitely go back!Special Features:
- What a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/28/2014After much excitement for a new Restaurant in the neighborhood- I was completely underwhelmed. The service and the menu leaved little to be desired. We had to ask for a bread basket, after being served a sad omelette on a barren plate and was not offered anything to accompany it, then were charged a ridiculous amount for Ice Tea refills. I wanted to love this Restaurant as it's namesake in Paris in Le Marais is one of my favorites. Unfortunately this is not going to be a neighborhood standby. It's a shame.
- mixed experiencepammyjeanDined on 9/25/2014as I said, mixed experience at dinner a few nights ago. we had superb duck, but not so good cauliflower soup. when the wine we ordered was unavailable the waiter brought us a better bottle for the same price, which was very nice. the waiter forgot one of our sides, but then gave us each a free dessert wine. the desserts arrived...... but we had to ask for cutlery to eat them. so it was a bumpy night. all in all a nice atmosphere and we still enjoyed ourselves
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2014SUCH great french food. the duck rillette is riduckulous. Great wine list, although wish they had more by the glass options. Coravin anyone?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not perfectPeteVIPDined on 9/16/2014A concept restaurant (old school Paris bistro) with decent foor and sketchy service. The chalkboard menu with daily specials is actually just decoration!!
- wonderful brunchctgourmandVIPDined on 9/14/2014We had an excellent brunch here with great service. We look forward to coming back for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Performance PerfectionPeters137VIPDined on 9/13/2014Could not ask for a better dining experience on the way to a performance at Dixon Place. The food was creative and perfectly prepared in the French tradition, service was attentive and responsive to the time constraints for a party of 5. The waiter took time to explore wine choices with us and chat briefly after each course arrived. At Le Philosophe the actions speak as loud as the words. Look forward to our next visit to this friendly bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2014Excellent menu creative and well prepared with good service in a casual neighborhood space.Special Features:
- My New Favorite BistroFrednycVIPDined on 9/4/2014After reviewing a review in the NY Times, I made a note of a place to try. I waited 6 months - way too long. It is just wonderful. Friendly staff (bar, dining and front) and excellent bistro fare. We had an opportunity to chat with Chef Matt Aita and he is enthusiastic and charming. The food was - well just great. Made another reservation for next week. Can't wait for them to get their liquor license. A french bistro without martinis is well - likely a missing course.Special Features:
- DinerLaBouffeDined on 9/4/2014Had the prix fixe menu. Appetizer was the salmon tartare which was bland. On the other hand the skate with fennel and tapenade was a delight as was the mousse au chocolat. Noise level due to background music makes conversation across the table difficult at times. Otherwise a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- Classic dishes with a twistCG36VIPDined on 8/27/2014We loved the food. We will definitely be back throughout the seasons. Classic French dishes made well with a twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodNaninaDined on 8/24/2014What I look for in restaurants is a good food. Service is not important unless the server completely ignores you. Had dinner for my husbands bday on a sunday night at 7pm, when we went there it was pretty quiet (only about 4 tables) and I got a little scared about how it is going to be. Well, I have to say everything was great. First off, food was excellent, very different, and just what a french restaurant should be like. My favorite of all was frog leggs and the salad with different veggies (yumm) delish delish. Definitely would be back.
- Some of the best French food everFoodheavenVIPDined on 8/22/2014Farm to table. Great veggies. Meat fish lobster Thermidor. This is my new go-to place for awesome authentic French food. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salmon served coolcoolsalmon24Dined on 8/20/2014the salmon entree was overhyped....no crispy salmon skin and was served cool...sent it back to the kitchen to heat up...service good .. wine list fine... might give it one more chance in the winterSpecial Features:
- Fantastique!KateVIPDined on 8/16/2014While we went for a great meal to start a fun night out on a weekend, I think this place might become a go-to any night for my boyfriend and I. It's not cheap by any means, but the portions were appropriate, the wines were great, the cheese board was surprisingly satisfying - and our server helped us with honest recommendations. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Love this placeNeighborVIPDined on 8/14/2014We've been to Le philisophe 3 times and we love it. From the moment you walk in you're greeted so warmly that you feel like you're coming home. The menu is very creative and fresh and all we ordered was delicious. This time we were the last ones to leave and never felt rushed. I look forward to my next visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!CyndyDined on 8/14/2014We ate at Le Philosophe on 8/14/14. Arrived on time at 8:30. Seated immediately. Restaurant was busy but not full. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable about the wine list. We had a very nice Russian River Valley merlot. The food was outstanding! Roasted chicken and flat iron steak were perfectly cooked. Amazing frites came with the steak with a delicious bearnaise sauce. Crepes Suzette and profiteroles for dessert were perfect. Really good meal!Special Features:
- great duck but very noisytheclaVIPDined on 8/12/2014The duck l'orange was excellent as well as the sauteed mushrooms. The grouper was abit bland. The noise level was very high though for such a small place and my friend and I had to shout across the table to talk.Special Features:
- Rustic Classic (Modern) FrenchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014Great, kind of cool rustic atmosphere. Very small. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- contemporary French for alljameslucasDined on 8/10/2014Le Philosophe is rapidly establishing itself as that wonderful kind of restaurant with high-caliber cuisine and a low-key atmosphere, the combination of which allows it to appeal to a wide range of diners. With well modulated portions and no shortage of vegetable-forward dishes, it is a reliable option for diners who are hoping to delight friends or business contacts whose exact preferences may be unknown.Special Features:
- Great DinnerKennyVIPDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I had dinner here for the third time. We were totally satisfied with the food and with the service. Our waitress was amazing. She was very friendly and very professional. The rest of the staff were also great. We love the food here. They also have a great wine list. We had a $20 bottle of wine which was very good.Special Features:
- French elegance w/out AttitudeJakeremi123Dined on 8/5/2014Le Philosophe is an adult modern French Restaurant that is tailored to the NYC taste for fresh and clean and modern spins on the classics. It delivers and it's ambience is cultured and relaxed… But, serious food. It lives up to its' name by being sophisticated and mature.Special Features:
- Under-the-radar and greatrpsnycVIPDined on 8/1/2014I've eaten dinner at Le Philosophe three times and each time the food has been excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing. Every single time.MrSundayJohnsonVIPDined on 7/31/2014A new, and more extensive menu, make this Top Notch (but so relaxed) restaurant one of the best places in NYC to chill, eat, and be blown away with the food. Truly, reminiscent of cuisine long since gone , and recreated here in an updated format. Order the radishes. Order the Rossinini "Bleu." Like no other exquisite execution of menu items unavailable for too many years. You know what they are. You know what you like. Go. It's right here. Order something you've never had before. Be brave. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Worth it! Give this one a try.Swp7722VIPDined on 7/30/2014Food was beyond perfect -- delicious, artfully presented, limited and varied choices on the menu. Décor was hip, tastefully demure grunge, on trend for a je ne said quoi dining experience! Service -- over and beyond, discreet and invisible but all encompassing. Price -- on the high side, but probably not high for NYC. We would go back again! I would highly recommend. We were thrilled and delighted. Most of all, the food and wine were sublime.Special Features:
- wonderful summer dinner spotDB13Dined on 7/22/2014the dining room was open to the outside, so we could enjoy the summer eve without having to eat on the sidewalk. the food was inventive and delicious. service was informed and solicitous. mild complaint that they served us too quickly--we could have used a bit more time between courses to relax. excellent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelVIPDined on 7/21/2014a very comfortable spot to find good food along with very good vibes for dining.Special Features:
- Excellent BistrodmartVIPDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I came on a Saturday night on the recommendation of a friend, and we are glad we did. The service in this small, friendly bistro is fantastic, the wine list diverse with plenty of moderately priced options, and the food was great. If you are looking for a cool, unpretentious place with great French food and a service staff that is attentive, knowledgeable and friendly, this Le Philosophe is worth the $$$. But note you could also easily have a great meal here for a very reasonable bill.Special Features:
- Magnifiqueleo30thVIPDined on 7/12/2014Le Philosophe never disappoints! I've been here on many occassions but on the last visit we were a party of 6. The service was outstanding, our waiter was fantastic, and the food was amazing, as always. HIGHLY recommended!Special Features:
- melLDined on 7/12/2014Very Good food and service with a few outdoor tables that have nice outdoor atmosphere with little NY traffic to bother you during dinner. You also never know when a celebrity like Annette Benning will be at the next table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 245 reviews are from the Le Philosophe reviews archive.