61 Lewis Street
Greenwich, CT 06830Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lepenguinbistro.com/
- Phone: 2037171200x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday- Friday: 11:30am -2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday:5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am- 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Le Penguin
Show what you love! A fun & frolic filled French Bistro in Greenwich, CT. Music, ambiance, fantastic bistro fare!!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Penguin reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (66)neighborhood gem (66)special occasion (39)hot spot (38)romantic (31)great for lunch (24)notable wine list (19)good for groups (18)great for brunch (16)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- never disappointsParker0508Dined on 8/28/2014food is always consistent and prepared perfectly would dine more often but menu and specials does not vary that muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, attentive serviceWoodsidepastaDined on 8/26/2014Overall the meals were very good but not suberb. The mushroom ravioli with pea shoots was excellent as was the escargo. The branzino special was a little too buttery for me. The braised duck was just he right amount of crispy. Good wine list which was not widly overpriced & excellent service. The room got a bit noisy after 9:00pm but not overwhelmingly so.Special Features:
- Spectacular Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Myself and a good friend of mine came for the second time to Le Penguin, our first time being with our chef instructor, Jean-Louis Gerin, late owner of Restaurant Jean-Louis in the same location. I came this time for my twenty-second birthday, and noted as such in my reservation, as well as my tree-nut allergy, which was graciously accommodated, the server being aware of it upon my arrival. The Pate, our first course,was well seasoned, a generous portion, and not too heavy. I had the blackened Maine Diver scallops as an entree, my friend the Red Snapper, both were perfect in our opinion. For dessert we enjoyed the cheese selection along with a complimentary glass of sparkling Rose. The birthday celebration was subtle, yet charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le yum !PamPVIPDined on 8/16/2014Delicious upscale French bistro fare. Bustling crowd with tables packed so closely together you quickly made new friends. The only thing that cheapened the ambience was about every 20 minutes they dimmed the lights, blasted the music and came out "bennigans-style" singing happy birthday to fete another celebrant. Other than that cheese , meal was fantastic. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xyz123VIPDined on 8/15/2014This was 1 of the strangest dinners ever . We were seated at a corner table, with 2 people on 1 side & 1 person next to them on the other (L-shaped). However, the table for 4 next to us had a baby in a car seat between the 2 on my side of the table, so 1 woman was basically in my lap for most of the dinner. why did they allow them to sit this way?& why then seat us there? the restaurant was very loud, & therefore the piped in music was totally unnecessary.food was good but service erratic-didn't refill our water glasses until we received the check, & experienced about 1 hr wait bw apps and main courses. they are trying-owner/maitre'd walked around trying to make sure everything was ok.not sure waiter was totally knowledgeable about menu.
- LunchPhpsDined on 8/15/2014Great food with excellent service. The experience is always great here and I love the wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VibrantDined on 8/14/2014Really enjoyed the vibrant atmosphere, excellent food, good wine, and great service ......the place was popping and lots of fun! Can't wait until they en the fat poodle up in Old GreenwichSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place to celebratetymelyronVIPDined on 8/14/2014A festive atmosphere with lots of birthday and anniversary celebrations. Food was excellent, including soft shell crabs, hangar steak and a fantastic veal chop. Service was professional and friendly. Only issue is the noise level, but it was offset by the fun of being there.Special Features:
- DelishDined on 8/12/2014they need to have some one ready to seat people. We stood at door while all sorts of staff moved around. Our waitiress had to applogoze 2x as to why she hadnt even taken our order.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot spot but not worth itM5ssVIPDined on 8/10/2014Good crowd, fun. Food is hit or miss. Go for the lamb chops. Steak frites is awful, the miso Cod a la Nobu is all ginger. Mussels are good.Special Features:
- dineveryoftenDined on 8/8/2014Really not impressed after hearing great reviews! Was not pleased with the whole scene as we were in a corner with a family table of 8 to our left and this was a special Birthday dinner celebration!!Special Features:
- Great findcccjjjVIPDined on 8/6/2014This is the second time that we dined at Le Penguin and I can't wait to go back again! I just hope in the fall and winter that we can get a reservation!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2014Le Penguin has charm, reduced by a strange mix of recorded music and inconsistent service. Starter salads were good if a little pricey, mains variable: my hanger steak was alternately tough and tender, but served with excellent frites and a decent if salty bearnaise. Probably worth a return visit, due to several attractive menu choices, though my wife and I would have to think about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and birthday celebrationMarciaVIPDined on 8/4/2014The birthday celebration was so special when all of the Wait staff came out singing happy birthday to piped in music-everyone in the restaurant was singing and clapping-awesome way to bring out the candled dessert! Food was also sooo great. the frites were best I have had anywhere. The fish carpaccio and tomato tarte appetizers were fantastic as was the lamb, cod and filet mignon. Desserts were dreamy and staff attentive. And you can bring your own wine too! Great restaurant!Special Features:
- Le PenguinjlexVIPDined on 8/3/2014We had a wonderful dinner here. The only complaint is that the seating is tight. It is a small restaurant and the tables are very close to each other. Otherwise, the food was great and the service was excellent. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014Very good food. Service was excellent. Great mixed Drinks. Only problem it was very niosySpecial Features:
- EXCESSIVELY UNNECESSARILY LOUD!!!!!CustomerVIPDined on 7/28/2014Just too loud!!!! Just unnecssary. So many steps can be taken to soften sound without disrupting an energetic environment. Ceiling baffles. Under table baffles. Carpeting. Draperies. And a number of other things that are not costly, do not detract from the environment of energy and excitement, but enhance the ability to communicate with your table-mate without screaming. It is just exhausting and completely unnecssary.Special Features:
- Average food at high price.RedtailDined on 7/27/2014Salmon was served medium rare when ordered medium and the steak was well cooked versus medium. The waiter after repeating the drink order, brought the wrong drinks. The busboy removed the dessert plate before my guest was finished with her dessert - after being warned once.
- Nice SurpriseGumbyOGDined on 7/26/2014First visit to Le Penguin, but we are already making plans to return with some friends. The food was excellent and not too complicated. Just very well prepared. The service was great and the whole feel of the place was relaxed and welcoming. Small dining are so no bad table, really. Very happy to see that the prices are quite reasonable.Special Features:
- Chuck E FromageOfthesaintsVIPDined on 7/24/20144 birthdays in one night, each one accompanied by extremely loud music. Average food. Good wine list and service.
- Outside Dining on A Quiet NightCustomerVIPDined on 7/20/2014Week night at one of two sidewalk tables. No traffic, either foot or car. Exceptionally pleasant on a warm weekday evening. Food superb. Wine great (but need to add some big, bold California's in addition to the great French offerings....wines like BV Georges La Tour, BV Tapestry, Provenance Cab, Hewitt, and Rosenblum Reserve Zinfandels). The Town of Greenwich is hopeless in permitting restaurants to use their sidewalks (and rooftops). When the Town becomes more progressive then maybe Greenwich will take on a bit more of the look (and taste) of Paris and not be quite as stuffy (is that possible?).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChesterChesterVIPDined on 7/17/2014Wonderful bistro. Some new menu items would be welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AandBdiningVIPDined on 7/16/2014Went there to celebrate a friends birthday and had a great time! We were there on a Wednesday night and the place was hopping! Very good food and service. The salads were great and the chicken delicious. Definitely recommend Le Penguin for an enjoyable night out!Special Features:
- Solid food...butInesDined on 7/15/2014We enjoyed our food, however the place was crammed on a Tuesday evening and the noise level was ear deafening by 7 pm.Special Features:
- Birthday dinner celebrationFoodie5Dined on 7/14/2014Between a family of 5 we chose carpaccio of tuna to start, steak tartar, salad steak and truffle frites which were outstanding. We all agreed we would go back for the truffle frites alone! Also chocolate mouse and taste tatin were delicious. Great ambience with a mixture of age groups. We would all love to go back again.Special Features:
- Great place!CiciVIPDined on 7/12/2014We loved everything about Le Penguin. The service was very attentive and the food was authentic French bistro. The mussels were the best we've every had and the pommes frites were perfectly thin and crunchy. We will definitely go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OvercookedktelVIPDined on 7/9/2014The crispy red snapper lived up to its name. The fish was slightly overcooked and dry. My wife had the "special-of-the-day" which was skate wing. The fish was over-salted. Overall I expected a better experience given that the price per person for 5 people was $72.00.
- Le Penguin A Top Greenwich ChoiceStrategiesVIPDined on 7/7/2014This restaurant offers very good brasserie type food with creative enhancements. Waiters were efficient and plesant but should be trained to offer more professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowSheikhnessVIPDined on 7/5/2014This restaurant met more than all of my expectations a fantastic menu that was not overwhelming A friendly and accommodating staff that was more than helpful. My new favorite find.cant wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceInesDined on 7/5/2014Both food and ambiance were wonderful. We had the lamb and the duck, as well as a special chocolate torte for dessert. Very well executed, and what we especially appreciate is not being rushed. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Our Favorite Neighborhood Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014We love this place. We keep returning. I had the beef carpaccio this last visit. Scrumptious!Special Features:
- Service and foodDJKarDined on 7/1/2014Service was spectacular despite the conflict with the US World cup match. Every bite of food was excellent.Special Features:
- Thoroughly deliciousPagsDined on 6/28/2014Every course was outstanding. Service was sincere and excellent. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- winechampionVIPDined on 6/26/2014Great food - a good feel for being in a French Bistro with lots of activity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/23/2014Highly recommend this place. Delicious appetizers and entrees. Fun with a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Brasserie experienceniteowlDined on 6/19/2014The ambiance, location and buzz was great. The wait staff and the owners are attentive and friendly. It is not a place for a quiet dinner. The bar and the open kitchen window can get pretty loud when it is busy. Lovely place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentlaukkanenDined on 6/17/2014I have been to Le Penguin many times now and it has been a great experience every time. Service is good but not pushy, food is delicious and one or both of the owners has been there every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xxxxVIPDined on 6/16/2014It's clearly a hot spot, but I don't know why. The food was OK, but nothing to write home about. Far too much salt in the salad dressing, and the Codfish Nobu Style has no resemblance with anything they serve at Nobu's. So why do they pretend? It's supposed to be a French bistro, so let's stick to that. The place was well frequented for a Monday night which speaks for them. However, it was fairly noisy, and the noise level was even more elevated by frequent interludes of Stevie Wonder blasting his "Happy Birthday" from the sound system. So if you are looking for a nice quiet dinner with undisturbed conversations, this is not the place to go.Special Features:
- In a word...charming.ButterfleyeVIPDined on 6/15/2014I was encouraged to try this charming little eatery by my mom, a fellow foodie who needs to REALLY be impressed to gush about french fries and steak frites - she was right! The staff are incredibly polite, and prompt. The food is IMPECCABLE. Especially if you're looking for a little French spot...a little pricey for an everyday occurrence perhaps, but for the special occasion, or a really great spot for a nice brunch, it's fabulous. And while the food is "fancy," the decor and ambiance are cool and casual. You can go in jeans, and not feel like you're doing something wrong - a rarity in Greenwich! We will definitely be back - looking forward to the next round of local, delicious eats!Special Features:
- Incroyable!omnivoreDined on 6/14/2014If you like incredible, local, farm fresh, natural food cooked with spectacular imagination, served with the perfect wine, and by impeccable French waiters who are fun, then eat at Le Penguine. If you don't, go to Taco Bell. This place is wonderful. On our left were two ladies past a certain age who were having a ball. In front of us were several tables of young adults who were laughing and eating well. Past them were some grumpy rich people from back country Greenwich, and even they were happy. Come, enjoy, have fun, and laugh whilst sipping extraordinary wines which accompany incredible food. The wild mushroom ravioli with sweet pea tendrils will cause a rebirth of your tongue. The floating island is a spiritual experience.Special Features: