61 Lewis Street
Greenwich, CT 06830Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lepenguinbistro.com/
- Phone: (203) 717-1200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday- Friday: 11:30am -2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday:5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am- 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Le Penguin
Show what you love! A fun & frolic filled French Bistro in Greenwich, CT. Music, ambiance, fantastic bistro fare!!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Penguin reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (65)fit for foodies (62)hot spot (38)special occasion (28)romantic (24)great for lunch (24)good for groups (16)notable wine list (16)great for brunch (10)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Super dinning experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/2014Seated right on time - food wonderful - service great - nice personel touch by owner visiting your table and addressing you by name. Perfect way to enjoy a great dinner. Look forward to the new opening of your place in Old Greenwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WineCustomerVIPDined on 11/10/2014Awesome food and service. Wine list would be even better if it had some big Californias: BV Tapestry, Hewitt (number one wine in the US and number 4 wine in the world); Sterling Three Palms, Provenance, Rosenblum Reserve Zinfandels....rounds out a good French list nicely. Distributors will get them but have to be pushed hard!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBluebirdDined on 10/30/2014We dine at le Penguin regularly and have never been disappointed. Best to make a reservation because they are usually full. The Dover sole special was divine.Special Features:
- Super fun; great food212travlerVIPDined on 10/29/2014Great food, good vibe. A great addition to the areaSpecial Features:
- Going downhill sadlyCortoMalteseDined on 10/26/2014Very poor service. Over poured wine. Couldn't remember specials. Good was blah. Told them we had bday celebration and received no celebration. Seems trite but table next door did. Owner left his daughter in charge. Clueless.Special Features:
- good eatAshotDined on 10/25/2014food was great. the roasted cauliflower with hazelnut was so refreshing.the red snapper with wild quinoa was excellent and the soft meringue to die for :).. i will definitely recommend le penguin to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TriIDined on 10/21/2014I ordered the grilled vegetables with shrimp. Although it was delicious, it wasn't what I was expecting. Basically a salad with mostly chopped lettuce - a bit pricey at $24 - I left hungry.Special Features:
- A little Gem close to I95OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Yes, I was looking for a good restaurant in Greenwich close to I95 on my drive north to Vermont. This French gem is maybe 4 minutes off the highway and worth every minute! Went for lunch on a Saturday with a reservation at 11:45. We arrived, found parking easily, and we're alone in the restaurant for only half an hour when the savvy locals poured in. The food selection is wonderful. Our table had a delicious ravioli, an omelette special with goat cheese and mushroom, a gorgeous lobster Cobb salad, and a rare juicy thick hamburger with those tiny yummy truly French French fries.... A big success!Special Features:
- ScottScotteDined on 10/15/2014Food was delicious and served nicely. The restaurant is small the staff is not affected and are very professional. Look forward to coming backSpecial Features:
- Ambience vs noiseConnecticutDined on 10/14/2014We arrived for dinner at the early side of dinner hour and it was lovely. The ambience is charming, close tables in bistro fashion. Wait staff was gracious. Our dinners arrived. The poulet over grains with chick peas was tender, perfectly cooked and delicious. My friend ordered Steak Frite medium rare which came totally overcooked and dry. Without about a half hour of being seated, the restaurant filled and the noise level was so horrendous that we ate, but did not have coffee or dessert as we couldn't wait to get out of there. I would not return.Special Features:
- a place to be seen but not heardmeckinsDined on 10/14/2014The room is utterly charming and if you arrive at Le Penguin at 6 PM you feel you've been transported to a quiet neighborhood in Paris with an authentic neighborhood bistro. That feeling doesn't last, however, as the room fills up and the wait staff becomes anxious to get you fed and on your way. The waiter was at the table requesting our orders within 5 minutes of our arrival. We put him off a couple of times, but finally surrendered to the pressure. By that time the room had filled up and was getting noisy. By mid-meal, even at the warp speed with which the orders were delivered, the sound was deafening. The food, on the other hand, is very good and arguably worth the inconvenience or discomfort of the noise and pressure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone LoveskgraceDined on 10/14/2014We love to go for special family evenings. Our daughters are teens and open to new food experiences. We love Le Penguin.Special Features:
- Crucial mistakeMarWestyVIPDined on 10/10/2014We loved the food, the wine and the ambiance… we really enjoyed our dinner! However it was spoiled by an unpleasant surprise - the waitress forgot to wrap up our "doggy bag". OMG! Apparently she threw away a good half of our very pricy dover sole! Although we clearly said we want to wrap this up (even if she didn't heard us well) she didn't bothered to double check if we want to take home our expensive meal… We were very disappointed.Special Features:
- Le PenguinlmnopDined on 9/26/2014Everything was great except for the timing between ordering and getting the food. It was simply too fast and we had the distinct impression that they were trying to turn the table for a new couple. That is their call as they are a business but I appreciate a slower pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great local bistroFoodieVIPDined on 9/26/2014definitely a neighborhood gem. lively atmosphere typical of a bistro. would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best place in greenwichyankeehuskyDined on 9/23/2014not like there is a lot of competition for the top spot, but le penguin is solid food and a very lively scene. the noise level does border on overwhelming, but doesnt cross over the line.Special Features:
- AandBdiningVIPDined on 9/20/2014Though the food is very good at Le Penguin that's where the pleasant experience ends. When we arrived at the small restaurant the four of us were seated at a small bistro table in the middle of the room. I can't tell you how many times we were knocked into by waiters and customers walking by. When I asked to move the hostess told us it wasn't possible even though another table for four opened up. Also, the servers need to slow down when clearing the table. My husband and I hadn't finished our drinks and they were whisked away they also attempted to clear our dinner dishes while we were still eating. I know at ten o'clock they start loud music and I guess they wanted us out of there to make room for the next crowd.Special Features:
- French connectionSalvatoreDined on 9/20/2014Simply perfecto !! Fun, very up wih a touch of class...finally we don't need to drive to the city for quality French food. Bravo!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HuntsmanDined on 9/17/2014Excellent food and personnel. The menue is well rounded for the focus of the place. Excellent execution. Great and knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- rbmomVIPDined on 9/13/2014Le Penguin is always a favorite of ours and this past weekend was no exception. Although a the restaurant is a bit tight, it did not bother us in the slightest as there is always such an energetic fun vibe and everyone seems to be happy to be there. The service was as usual, outstanding, and the food delicious. Recommend Steak Frites (what's not to like?) along with Red Snapper. The dessert menu could be tweaked as I couldn't find anything that looked good, but with such great appetizer and dinner options, I am happy to pass on dessert. Great spot for birthdays.Special Features:
- Pesky serverctfoodieVIPDined on 9/4/20141st time dining at this fairly new addition to the Greenwich luncheon scene. Restaurant was about 2/3rds full. A couple of daily specials in addition to petite luncheon offering. Typical French sandwiches and a few salad dishes. Food was very good, bread spectacular, but service staff was pushy and rude. I can understand wanting to turn tables in a busy, full restaurant, but that was not the case here. Will not return.Special Features:
- Solid Bistro in GreenwichOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/2/2014It was our first visit to Le Penguin and we were impressed. The food is solid bistro basics; this is not the place to find new dishes or ideas, but the food was excellently prepared and delicious, and the service was attentive without being intrusive. I liked the wine list, which was extensive for a small restaurant, and which had a good selection of bottles in the not-stratospheric range. Although it was clear that this restaurant has a strong base of regulars, we were warmly greeted by the owner when we arrived and thanked again on the way out. We will be back.Special Features:
- never disappointsParker0508VIPDined on 8/28/2014food is always consistent and prepared perfectly would dine more often but menu and specials does not vary that muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, attentive serviceWoodsidepastaDined on 8/26/2014Overall the meals were very good but not suberb. The mushroom ravioli with pea shoots was excellent as was the escargo. The branzino special was a little too buttery for me. The braised duck was just he right amount of crispy. Good wine list which was not widly overpriced & excellent service. The room got a bit noisy after 9:00pm but not overwhelmingly so.Special Features:
- Spectacular Birthday DinnerNicholasDined on 8/25/2014Myself and a good friend of mine came for the second time to Le Penguin, our first time being with our chef instructor, Jean-Louis Gerin, late owner of Restaurant Jean-Louis in the same location. I came this time for my twenty-second birthday, and noted as such in my reservation, as well as my tree-nut allergy, which was graciously accommodated, the server being aware of it upon my arrival. The Pate, our first course,was well seasoned, a generous portion, and not too heavy. I had the blackened Maine Diver scallops as an entree, my friend the Red Snapper, both were perfect in our opinion. For dessert we enjoyed the cheese selection along with a complimentary glass of sparkling Rose. The birthday celebration was subtle, yet charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le yum !PamPVIPDined on 8/16/2014Delicious upscale French bistro fare. Bustling crowd with tables packed so closely together you quickly made new friends. The only thing that cheapened the ambience was about every 20 minutes they dimmed the lights, blasted the music and came out "bennigans-style" singing happy birthday to fete another celebrant. Other than that cheese , meal was fantastic. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xyz123VIPDined on 8/15/2014This was 1 of the strangest dinners ever . We were seated at a corner table, with 2 people on 1 side & 1 person next to them on the other (L-shaped). However, the table for 4 next to us had a baby in a car seat between the 2 on my side of the table, so 1 woman was basically in my lap for most of the dinner. why did they allow them to sit this way?& why then seat us there? the restaurant was very loud, & therefore the piped in music was totally unnecessary.food was good but service erratic-didn't refill our water glasses until we received the check, & experienced about 1 hr wait bw apps and main courses. they are trying-owner/maitre'd walked around trying to make sure everything was ok.not sure waiter was totally knowledgeable about menu.
- LunchPhpsVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great food with excellent service. The experience is always great here and I love the wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VibrantDined on 8/14/2014Really enjoyed the vibrant atmosphere, excellent food, good wine, and great service ......the place was popping and lots of fun! Can't wait until they en the fat poodle up in Old GreenwichSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place to celebratetymelyronVIPDined on 8/14/2014A festive atmosphere with lots of birthday and anniversary celebrations. Food was excellent, including soft shell crabs, hangar steak and a fantastic veal chop. Service was professional and friendly. Only issue is the noise level, but it was offset by the fun of being there.Special Features:
- DelishDined on 8/12/2014they need to have some one ready to seat people. We stood at door while all sorts of staff moved around. Our waitiress had to applogoze 2x as to why she hadnt even taken our order.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot spot but not worth itM5ssVIPDined on 8/10/2014Good crowd, fun. Food is hit or miss. Go for the lamb chops. Steak frites is awful, the miso Cod a la Nobu is all ginger. Mussels are good.Special Features:
- dineveryoftenDined on 8/8/2014Really not impressed after hearing great reviews! Was not pleased with the whole scene as we were in a corner with a family table of 8 to our left and this was a special Birthday dinner celebration!!Special Features:
- Great findcccjjjVIPDined on 8/6/2014This is the second time that we dined at Le Penguin and I can't wait to go back again! I just hope in the fall and winter that we can get a reservation!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2014Le Penguin has charm, reduced by a strange mix of recorded music and inconsistent service. Starter salads were good if a little pricey, mains variable: my hanger steak was alternately tough and tender, but served with excellent frites and a decent if salty bearnaise. Probably worth a return visit, due to several attractive menu choices, though my wife and I would have to think about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and birthday celebrationMarciaVIPDined on 8/4/2014The birthday celebration was so special when all of the Wait staff came out singing happy birthday to piped in music-everyone in the restaurant was singing and clapping-awesome way to bring out the candled dessert! Food was also sooo great. the frites were best I have had anywhere. The fish carpaccio and tomato tarte appetizers were fantastic as was the lamb, cod and filet mignon. Desserts were dreamy and staff attentive. And you can bring your own wine too! Great restaurant!Special Features:
- Le PenguinjlexVIPDined on 8/3/2014We had a wonderful dinner here. The only complaint is that the seating is tight. It is a small restaurant and the tables are very close to each other. Otherwise, the food was great and the service was excellent. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014Very good food. Service was excellent. Great mixed Drinks. Only problem it was very niosySpecial Features:
- EXCESSIVELY UNNECESSARILY LOUD!!!!!CustomerVIPDined on 7/28/2014Just too loud!!!! Just unnecssary. So many steps can be taken to soften sound without disrupting an energetic environment. Ceiling baffles. Under table baffles. Carpeting. Draperies. And a number of other things that are not costly, do not detract from the environment of energy and excitement, but enhance the ability to communicate with your table-mate without screaming. It is just exhausting and completely unnecssary.Special Features:
- Average food at high price.RedtailDined on 7/27/2014Salmon was served medium rare when ordered medium and the steak was well cooked versus medium. The waiter after repeating the drink order, brought the wrong drinks. The busboy removed the dessert plate before my guest was finished with her dessert - after being warned once.