410 Saratoga Avenue
San Jose, CA 95129Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lepapillon.com/
- Phone: 4082963730
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Scott Cooper
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Le Papillon Restaurant has been one of the top premium caterers of northern California for years, catering to corporate, social and weddings in most of popular and beautiful venues of the Bay Area. Our goal is to provide the same quality of food and service to our catered events as we provide in our dining room.
- Private Party Facilities: Le Papillon offers four private dining rooms accommodating from ten to fifty guests, or the entire restaurant can be reserved to seat up to 100 guests. Our private dining rooms are separated by sliding French doors, offering versatility in seating while retaining the comfort and relaxed elegance of the main dining room.
- Private Party Contact: All Managers 4082963730
- Entertainment: Light Backround Music.
A word from Le Papillon
Contemporary French Cuisine with California inspired ingredients, best describes Le Papillon Restaurant. From its inception in 1977 till today with recent remodel and innovative cuisine using local sustainable ingredients puts Le Papillon Restaurant among one of the top restaurants in northern California. The seasonal menu along with ever changing tasting menu, offers great selection to be enjoyed in an elegant setting. The extensive wine list offers variety as well as quality. The service staff along with the Maître d" and Sommelier provide an experience to remember.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Le Papillon - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Le Papillon reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (85)romantic (74)fit for foodies (60)notable wine list (50)neighborhood gem (24)good for groups (9)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Outstanding foodNgalVIPDined on 10/22/2014A special occasion restaurant for us for years and we went again last week. The complimentary amuse bouche are delightful while looking over the menu. The tasting menu seemed to have a couple of fewer dishes on it than I recall in the past (maybe seven instead of nine), but the portions were larger and we were more than satisfied. The sea bream, squab and bison dishes were out-of-this-world fantastic. Dessert had strawberry and marzipan and was the perfect ending to the meal, though we've also enjoyed their signature grand marnier souffle in the past which I highly recommend. The reason to go here is for the good service, quiet atmosphere and consistently excellent food. Very much worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Restaurantfrequent1Dined on 10/18/2014I have been patronizing Le Papillon for many years now. I have entertained family, family celebrations and friends, and also been invited there by family and friends. I have always found the food appetizing and delicious with great presentations. The staff is courteous and attentive, and I always leave feeling happy and pampered. Another very important feature of the restaurant is that we can hear ourselves and can actually converse in our normal tones instead of having to shout above the fray to be heard. Apart from the food, the ambience of this wonderful place is the biggest drawcard for me. Thank you, Le Papillon ! Congratulations to the Chef !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatRichDined on 10/17/2014We go here whenever we need a quiet elegant evening with delicious food friendly service and a nice wine list. The 3 and 4 prixe fix choices are always satisfying and don't forget to order the Grand Marnier souffléSpecial Features:
- excellent for special dinneranton7364Dined on 10/10/2014A most excellent spot for a special occasion dinner -- creative and super-tasty French. Great service and fun ambience. Worth a splurge once in a while.Special Features:
- Wonderful "special date" mealOpenTJDined on 10/9/2014My wife and I dined here recently for our tenth anniversary, and were very pleased. We each did the chef's tasting menu, which included quite a few courses, but not too much food by any stretch. Several extra complimentary appetizers were brought out as well, and the when we weren't sure about getting a drink to start things off he offered to bring us each a complimentary glass of champagne. Each course was very artfully laid out, and very tasty. We shared a wine paring, which was enough for us both. Although it was very expensive, I felt for the attention to service and detail it was a good deal for a "special occasion" type of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Competent but underwhelmingGrantDined on 10/5/2014Many of the dishes were good but not good enough for the preparation and restaurant to warrant ever going back for. If a friend cooked this, I would have been mildly impressed, but at a rated restaurant it was a disappointment. The salsify soup was delicious as was the pear salad. The sturgeon was inedible, it had an off chemical flavor. The souffles were so eggy and lacking in the promised Grand Marnier orange that they tasted like extremely fluffy omelettes. I won't be going back.
- Wonderful as alwaysFantasticDined on 10/4/2014Jason our waiter is outstanding. We had the deer and swordfish. Both amazing. It's always exciting g to try the unique appetizers they surprise you with. Scallops and Snails app were wonderful. Baby lettuce salad was not what we expected. Should have been called baby greens. Would have picked something else had I known. But good none the less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014You get to choose 3 courses for $70 or 4 for $80. At this price it was very reasonable but the food did not "wow" us. In fact, 1 of the entree was "ok" and the other was great. 2 out of 3 appetizers were "ok" and 1 was great. I suggest not ordering the duck or quail, it was very heavy and slightly dry. If you insist on those entrees then order a cab to keep your taste buds awake. The ambience was noisy but very relaxed, it feels like we were at a wedding rreception. The waiter was also knowledgeable and passionate about service. I do wish they could serve a little bit faster. We sat there for a full 2 hours and even i think that's a little long for 3-4 courses.Special Features:
- Classy DinnerSteveVIPDined on 10/2/2014We showed up expecting a fine dining experience.What we received was better than our expectations. Beautiful dining room,outstanding presentation,wonderful service and food was incredible. Highly recommend this restaurant for foodies(especially those that love French),special occasions or for just going out for a great dinner.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodie find!gncablvrDined on 9/28/2014Don't miss this restaurant when in the bay area or you will miss a wonderful dining experience. The Chef did a wonderful job, also restructuring a menu for one of our guests with food allergies. We travel and dine constantly around the US and were very pleased. The lobster, scallops, duck, bison were done to perfection and to finish one of the best grand mariner soufflé we had in a long time. I will go back here again than make the drive to Gary Danko in the future. Service and ambiance were also stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappoint!GeekItUpBDined on 9/27/2014This restaurant was the highest recommended restaurant on 4 or 5 different websites. I was skeptical about booking our special Anniversary dinner here because it was SO highly recommended I thought it could only disappoint us. I'm happy to say I was wrong and it even exceeded our expectations! The food was incredible. Everything we ate was not only gorgeous to look at, but absolutely delicious! What I thought at first were going to be small portions ended up being the perfect amount. When you're having a 4 course meal you don't need huge portions! To top it all off the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Always a lovely experienceBarbaraluvs2dineDined on 9/27/2014We love Le Papillon. Whenever we want a special night out, we think of this restaurant. This is the only place like it in the San Jose area. I love that there is a dress code, that it is quiet, and that cell phones may not be used. The food is always exceptional, and the service is superb. You honestly feel that the staff appreciate that you are there. There is no snootiness, just elegance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ServiceCbuckDined on 9/26/2014This was the first time I've ever been to a real fancy restaurant and they treated me with respect and kindly and patiently answered all of our questions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeBalleDined on 9/19/2014Tried the tasting menu this time, and it was all very interesting and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Patio DinnerTwoBeerTeddyVIPDined on 9/15/2014My wife and I were seeking a good place to dine following a long day helping our son move into his first apartment. We arrived underdressed but were offered a table on the patio. It turned out to be one of the best and most romantic meals we've enjoyed in a long time. Food great. Wine great. Signature dessert amazing. On top of it all, the service was absolutely excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemNaeemVIPDined on 9/13/2014Not many people think of busy Stevens Creek Blvd with auto row to look for a great restaurant with excellent Grand Marnier Souffle but there it is -- this little french place. we have been coming here for many years and love the place. Last week we felt as if it has gotten an upgrade somehow!Special Features:
- Great DinnerGregDined on 9/13/2014Tasting menu was wonderful. Excellent service from Jason and bussers. Food was faboulous. All around excellent experience. Winner. gSpecial Features:
- lovely for a romantic birthdayLizaBDined on 9/13/2014expensive but very good. We had the Prix fixe with wine and dessert. the wine list had good choices for those of us that are splurging but not wealthy. None of the odd food combinations that seems to be popular with foodies at the moment. we really enjoyed our eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in San JoseHBG4DiningVIPDined on 9/9/2014This is a real fine-dining experience in San Jose. Great food, lovely decor and friendly, professional service. The parking lot is not very pretty but don't let that stop you for enjoying a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Celebration for 2OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/8/2014No Phones allowed at the dinner table! Finally a place that would like you to respect your party and enjoy a nice dinner!Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Excellent ServicemichaelbiermanVIPDined on 9/6/2014Really enjoyable for a special occassion. The amount of food was just right. I liked that we could choose a 3 or 4 course meal so we did 1 appetizer, two salads, two main courses and 1 dessert for two people. It worked out perfectly.Special Features:
- Absolutely outstanding.jc58VIPDined on 9/6/2014Delicious food. Incredible ambiance. Elegant without being stuffy. The complementary amuse-bouches are always to die for and the menu is creative and new while still remaining classic.Special Features:
- Great food, quiet and intimateKjchoiDined on 8/30/2014It feels like you are eating at home. The food is fantastic, and it doesn't seem to be hard to get a reservation. It is fairly quiet, which makes it easy to talk and feels romantic if you are with your significant other. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo!NomadDined on 8/30/2014Our family has enjoyed French cuisine in Paris, Provence, New Orleans and New York, and Le Papillon is as good - if not better - than any other restaurant we know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unexpected findLLLHDined on 8/30/2014Le Papillon is not what you expect based on the location. On the outside and surrounding area it seems like a regular restaurant around an old business strip mall along a busy street. However, once you enter it seems like you're transported to another world. I was pleasantly surprised. I took my girlfriend here for her birthday and was just crossing my fingers it would be good based on the reviews I read on Yelp. It sounded like what I was looking for and it turned out to be just that. A nice romantic dinner in a fancy/formal setting with excellent service and great food. Thanks for a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Conscientious pretty restaurantdisappointingVIPDined on 8/27/2014For such reasonable pricing and generous wine pouring, the restaurant deserves high marks for restaurant/wine lovers. Beautiful and quiet setting and unpretentious services.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal, Great WinesFoodistDined on 8/23/2014The food at Le Papillon is excellent, as is their wine selection. If I had to give any kind of criticism, it is that the portions are too large, especially the massive dessert. We ate all of it, of course!Special Features:
- Disappointingdiner3Dined on 8/21/2014We hadn't been for many years and decided to try it again for a mini-celebration. The ambiance was warm and inviting, the servers friendly and helpful, the presentation lovely. But the service was a little too leisurely and the food disappointing. Our appetizers, scallops and snails, were quite good, as was the salsify soup. However, the pear salad did not taste good and the server never checked back until it was time to clear and was too late to replace it. Then the main courses, red deer and roast pork, were bland and uninspired. We expected much better, particularly given the price. Unfortunately, I can't recommend it. We've had much better at a much lower cost.
- Le pappilon never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/19/2014Le pappilon is our go-to place for special dinners. it has never disappointed over the years we've come. definitely recommend; we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine French CuisinemobiellaDined on 8/15/2014Food was perfectly prepared, serving staff was prompt and courteous, and they accommodated our gluten-free diet with ease. I'd recommend this place for a perfect special occasion dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014This was one of the best meals I have had in years. The flavors, textures and presentation were all superb. The service was excellent!!!!Special Features:
- Bravo Well DoneIntheindustryDined on 8/10/2014I visited this place based off of the reviews it received. I was impressed!! Courses were well prepared and timed. The Tasting menu was well thought out and portion sizes were just enough for you to want more but become excited that something new was going to arrive. Great job well worth the money. Bravo to the Executive Chef!! Bravo!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as UsualSpikermikeVIPDined on 8/9/2014I've been to Le Papillon several times and it is always wonderful. The service is outstanding as is the food and environment. Ordered the four course dinner with a bottle of wine and it was an enjoyable two hour experience. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Great fine dining in Bay Area. One of top high end available in South Bay, excellent service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little long in the toothtomsterDined on 8/7/2014This restaurant has been there for years, maybe too many. The staff was cordial and polite, some even charming. The food was pedestrian at best. It was nicely presented, but I could just as well have been eating cardboard, no distinct flavorful nuances. All of the diners at my table agreed that the restaurant was overpriced. The place could use some cleaning, fresh coat of paint and for god's sake, would someone please wash the windows? I swear I caught the smell of mold when I walked in the door. Greeter was handsome in a young Brad Pitt sort of way, but the mold smell could have been coming from the dirty black jacket he was wearing. Definitely not fit for foodies. The escargot smelled wonderful, but roasting garlic always does.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/6/2014VERRRRRRRY good. expensive though........................................Special Features:
- B-Day dinner was awesome - again.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2014I asked for a particular favorite not much served nowadays; not only did they have it, they served it several different ways during the course of our tasting menu dinner service. The waiter was attentive and thoughtful, the chef was definitely on his game, even the gentleman who parked the car was really nice. (full lot) I have dined at Le Papillon for my birthday several times and it's the one thing guaranteed never to go wrong, and most likely to fulfill and exceed expectations. I should qualify that by saying that I have dined at pretty much all of the south bay's foodie places and this one is by far my favorite. The service and execution is always reliable, and though the food changes (as it should) I am always pleasantly impressed.Special Features:
- Le Papillion 7/25/2014RickDined on 7/25/2014Great menu - like the fixed pricing and loved the variety Greatly appreciated the chef's gifts - very tasty and they built your anticipation for the meal Excellent service - as we were being seated the host abruptly changed his plan and seated us in quieter area - very considerate and attentive Wonderful atmosphere to enjoy a meal and quiet evening Very highly recommend this restaurant as dining experience for the eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ngmLeeVIPDined on 7/17/2014Le Papillion has consistently been a very happy experience. The food was delicious and service was very attentive. The prce is worth joy you get. Willhighly recommend for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfect...brobonVIPDined on 7/16/2014Dinner experience was remarkable, as expected. The food was exquisite; the amuse bouche were elegant, and there were 3, all of which were served in a unique presentation and all of which were superb. All 4 of us enjoyed our entrees, and the maitre d' was kind enough to allow us to bring in a small wedding cake, as this was a celebration of our friends' marriage. The service was attentive without being intrusive, and each course was described as it was presented, which is a very nice touch. My only issue was that the wine we chose was not available in the year listed on the wine list, and the newer year wasn't nearly as good as the prior year.Special Features: