410 Saratoga Avenue
San Jose, CA 95129Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lepapillon.com/
- Phone: 4082963730
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Scott Cooper
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Le Papillon Restaurant has been one of the top premium caterers of northern California for years, catering to corporate, social and weddings in most of popular and beautiful venues of the Bay Area. Our goal is to provide the same quality of food and service to our catered events as we provide in our dining room.
- Private Party Facilities: Le Papillon offers four private dining rooms accommodating from ten to fifty guests, or the entire restaurant can be reserved to seat up to 100 guests. Our private dining rooms are separated by sliding French doors, offering versatility in seating while retaining the comfort and relaxed elegance of the main dining room.
- Private Party Contact: All Managers 4082963730
- Entertainment: Light Backround Music.
A word from Le Papillon
Contemporary French Cuisine with California inspired ingredients, best describes Le Papillon Restaurant. From its inception in 1977 till today with recent remodel and innovative cuisine using local sustainable ingredients puts Le Papillon Restaurant among one of the top restaurants in northern California. The seasonal menu along with ever changing tasting menu, offers great selection to be enjoyed in an elegant setting. The extensive wine list offers variety as well as quality. The service staff along with the Maître d" and Sommelier provide an experience to remember.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Le Papillon - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Le Papillon reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (84)romantic (71)fit for foodies (56)notable wine list (47)neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (12)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great placeBalleDined on 9/19/2014Tried the tasting menu this time, and it was all very interesting and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Patio DinnerTwoBeerTeddyVIPDined on 9/15/2014My wife and I were seeking a good place to dine following a long day helping our son move into his first apartment. We arrived underdressed but were offered a table on the patio. It turned out to be one of the best and most romantic meals we've enjoyed in a long time. Food great. Wine great. Signature dessert amazing. On top of it all, the service was absolutely excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemNaeemVIPDined on 9/13/2014Not many people think of busy Stevens Creek Blvd with auto row to look for a great restaurant with excellent Grand Marnier Souffle but there it is -- this little french place. we have been coming here for many years and love the place. Last week we felt as if it has gotten an upgrade somehow!Special Features:
- Great DinnerGregDined on 9/13/2014Tasting menu was wonderful. Excellent service from Jason and bussers. Food was faboulous. All around excellent experience. Winner. gSpecial Features:
- lovely for a romantic birthdayLizaBDined on 9/13/2014expensive but very good. We had the Prix fixe with wine and dessert. the wine list had good choices for those of us that are splurging but not wealthy. None of the odd food combinations that seems to be popular with foodies at the moment. we really enjoyed our eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in San JoseHBG4DiningVIPDined on 9/9/2014This is a real fine-dining experience in San Jose. Great food, lovely decor and friendly, professional service. The parking lot is not very pretty but don't let that stop you for enjoying a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Celebration for 2OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/8/2014No Phones allowed at the dinner table! Finally a place that would like you to respect your party and enjoy a nice dinner!Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Excellent ServicemichaelbiermanDined on 9/6/2014Really enjoyable for a special occassion. The amount of food was just right. I liked that we could choose a 3 or 4 course meal so we did 1 appetizer, two salads, two main courses and 1 dessert for two people. It worked out perfectly.Special Features:
- Absolutely outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Delicious food. Incredible ambiance. Elegant without being stuffy. The complementary amuse-bouches are always to die for and the menu is creative and new while still remaining classic.Special Features:
- Bravo!NomadDined on 8/30/2014Our family has enjoyed French cuisine in Paris, Provence, New Orleans and New York, and Le Papillon is as good - if not better - than any other restaurant we know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unexpected findLLLHDined on 8/30/2014Le Papillon is not what you expect based on the location. On the outside and surrounding area it seems like a regular restaurant around an old business strip mall along a busy street. However, once you enter it seems like you're transported to another world. I was pleasantly surprised. I took my girlfriend here for her birthday and was just crossing my fingers it would be good based on the reviews I read on Yelp. It sounded like what I was looking for and it turned out to be just that. A nice romantic dinner in a fancy/formal setting with excellent service and great food. Thanks for a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Conscientious pretty restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/27/2014For such reasonable pricing and generous wine pouring, the restaurant deserves high marks for restaurant/wine lovers. Beautiful and quiet setting and unpretentious services.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal, Great WinesFoodistDined on 8/23/2014The food at Le Papillon is excellent, as is their wine selection. If I had to give any kind of criticism, it is that the portions are too large, especially the massive dessert. We ate all of it, of course!Special Features:
- Disappointingdiner3Dined on 8/21/2014We hadn't been for many years and decided to try it again for a mini-celebration. The ambiance was warm and inviting, the servers friendly and helpful, the presentation lovely. But the service was a little too leisurely and the food disappointing. Our appetizers, scallops and snails, were quite good, as was the salsify soup. However, the pear salad did not taste good and the server never checked back until it was time to clear and was too late to replace it. Then the main courses, red deer and roast pork, were bland and uninspired. We expected much better, particularly given the price. Unfortunately, I can't recommend it. We've had much better at a much lower cost.
- Fine French CuisinemobiellaDined on 8/15/2014Food was perfectly prepared, serving staff was prompt and courteous, and they accommodated our gluten-free diet with ease. I'd recommend this place for a perfect special occasion dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014This was one of the best meals I have had in years. The flavors, textures and presentation were all superb. The service was excellent!!!!Special Features:
- Bravo Well DoneIntheindustryDined on 8/10/2014I visited this place based off of the reviews it received. I was impressed!! Courses were well prepared and timed. The Tasting menu was well thought out and portion sizes were just enough for you to want more but become excited that something new was going to arrive. Great job well worth the money. Bravo to the Executive Chef!! Bravo!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as UsualSpikermikeVIPDined on 8/9/2014I've been to Le Papillon several times and it is always wonderful. The service is outstanding as is the food and environment. Ordered the four course dinner with a bottle of wine and it was an enjoyable two hour experience. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Great fine dining in Bay Area. One of top high end available in South Bay, excellent service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little long in the toothtomsterDined on 8/7/2014This restaurant has been there for years, maybe too many. The staff was cordial and polite, some even charming. The food was pedestrian at best. It was nicely presented, but I could just as well have been eating cardboard, no distinct flavorful nuances. All of the diners at my table agreed that the restaurant was overpriced. The place could use some cleaning, fresh coat of paint and for god's sake, would someone please wash the windows? I swear I caught the smell of mold when I walked in the door. Greeter was handsome in a young Brad Pitt sort of way, but the mold smell could have been coming from the dirty black jacket he was wearing. Definitely not fit for foodies. The escargot smelled wonderful, but roasting garlic always does.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/6/2014VERRRRRRRY good. expensive though........................................Special Features:
- B-Day dinner was awesome - again.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2014I asked for a particular favorite not much served nowadays; not only did they have it, they served it several different ways during the course of our tasting menu dinner service. The waiter was attentive and thoughtful, the chef was definitely on his game, even the gentleman who parked the car was really nice. (full lot) I have dined at Le Papillon for my birthday several times and it's the one thing guaranteed never to go wrong, and most likely to fulfill and exceed expectations. I should qualify that by saying that I have dined at pretty much all of the south bay's foodie places and this one is by far my favorite. The service and execution is always reliable, and though the food changes (as it should) I am always pleasantly impressed.Special Features:
- Le Papillion 7/25/2014RickDined on 7/25/2014Great menu - like the fixed pricing and loved the variety Greatly appreciated the chef's gifts - very tasty and they built your anticipation for the meal Excellent service - as we were being seated the host abruptly changed his plan and seated us in quieter area - very considerate and attentive Wonderful atmosphere to enjoy a meal and quiet evening Very highly recommend this restaurant as dining experience for the eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ngmLeeVIPDined on 7/17/2014Le Papillion has consistently been a very happy experience. The food was delicious and service was very attentive. The prce is worth joy you get. Willhighly recommend for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfect...brobonVIPDined on 7/16/2014Dinner experience was remarkable, as expected. The food was exquisite; the amuse bouche were elegant, and there were 3, all of which were served in a unique presentation and all of which were superb. All 4 of us enjoyed our entrees, and the maitre d' was kind enough to allow us to bring in a small wedding cake, as this was a celebration of our friends' marriage. The service was attentive without being intrusive, and each course was described as it was presented, which is a very nice touch. My only issue was that the wine we chose was not available in the year listed on the wine list, and the newer year wasn't nearly as good as the prior year.Special Features:
- Exquisite Dining ExperienceMissDinnaDined on 7/15/2014I have wanted to go to this restaurant since I was 20 years old (I turned 49 that night). It was everything I hoped it to be. Imaginative french cuisine that still resonated with provincial flavors and staples. There was not a thing we tried that evening that was not perfectly seasoned and prepared. And the sommelier did an excellent job of choosing two half bottles of French wines, a red and white, that complimented our diverse meal perfectly. I highly recommend this establishment for special occasions for small groups of 2 - 4 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting MenuAwesomeDined on 7/15/2014The tasting menu is out if this world. I go once a year and the food is spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerHuntman49VIPDined on 7/13/2014I had not been to Le Papillon for probably 25 years. What was I thinking? We went there Sunday night for my wife's dinner and it was outstanding! From the two amuse bouche to the outstanding appetizers (the Hamachi tartare and lobster were fantastic) and the main courses, we all had a great dinner. My wife's deer was perfectly cooked, my swordfish was very tender (a lot of times it can be too firm and lacking texture) and both my children loved their lamb and duck entrees. We will definitely be back soon and will be trying the tasting menu next.Special Features:
- Perfect for special birthdayLMS12Dined on 7/12/2014My husband and I enjoyed every single dish we ordered. The pace was leisurely and the service superb. We highly recommend this lovely restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Great taste and my wife, my daughter and I love desserts, the soufflé was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Romantic DinnerKokonosukiDined on 7/2/2014The food was beyond expectation. Excellent wine choices. Had Quail, pear salad and Duck Breasts. My wife asked to have the scallops for her main dish. No problem. Excellent staff - attentive without being imposing. We both thought this was one of our best restaurant experiences.Special Features:
- ClassicDobar1Dined on 6/29/2014Excellent and attentive (but not intrusive) service. Especially good if you want really well prepared classic dish with a tasty sauce in a hushed environment. Not a leading edge restaurant like Manresa but excellent in its own way.Special Features:
- Cannot say enough ...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/20/2014The appetizers are superb, the salads and soups exquisite, and the main courses truly outstanding (we have partaken in just about everything on the menu) ... but .. if I had one dying wish on my death bed ... it would be to have one last Le Papillion Grand Marnier Souffle !!! The perfect end to a perfect evening. Also, the staff is absolutely the best .. besides being professional, they always are so warm and genuine -- a large reason for our repeat visits. A special restaurant for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden treasure!DandDDined on 6/19/2014Le Papillon is a wonderful 'modern' classic French restaurant. It's 'prix fixe' only but at 2 levels (3 courses or 4 courses), with many (many!) choices for each course: appetizer, soup/salad, entree, dessert. The snails appetizer was the best we've ever had, & seriously one of the tastiest items of the evening. The salsify/truffle soup was the 2nd tastiest. The pea/asparagus soup was good but needed seasoning. The duck breast entree was ample but greasy & could have used lots more cherry sauce. The pork loin entree was great. We were too full for dessert. The coffee wasn't the best we ever had. Long wine list, friendly sommelier, but we'd never again get the wine he recommended. It's a pricey restaurant, but great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Birthday dinner with my wife. The food was excellent. I can't recall enjoying so many dishes where every element of the dish 'worked' for me. We had the Hamachi tatare and scallops to start; the beef tenderloin and pork for our entrees. Save room for dessert too because they have a great selection to choose from. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Not a good as previous experiencesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/7/2014The restaurant would be helped by adding sound deadening materials to the walls and ceiling. As it is, loud patrons disrupt customers seeking a quiet dining experience.Special Features:
- JimboJimboVIPDined on 6/7/2014What an amazing meal! Both of us wanted to lick our plates. We ordered the four course fixed price deal. I started off with a lobster appetizer that was wonderful. My main dish was a red deer that was equally as delicious. My wife had a beef tenderloin with a bone marrow ravioli that she refused to share because it was so good. Price is expensive but worth it. We'll go again!Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointingjohnDined on 5/31/2014We have not been to Le Papillon for sometime, 18 months+. The first thing that we were struck with is the new price level--very high for a non-Michelin starred restaurant. But but the service, the amuse bouche, the ambiance are quiet good so we were willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.. The hamachi tartare was superb. The problem was with the main courses. I ordered the lamb loin rare/medium rare and it came to me medium/medium well. Since our server did not check back with us, I ate about half and took the rest home for our cats. Our server finally came to the table and offered us a souffle' for dessert which we declined. My wife's red deer entree was cooked about correct, but the reduction it sat in overwhelmed the deer.Special Features:
- Great Food!marriedtoachefDined on 5/30/2014The food was delicious and the service was excellent. We had our 6 year old son with us, who is a very picky eater. The chef made him a special dish, his favorite, pasta, butter, and cheese, and chicken breast on the side! It was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- high standard continuesmjelDined on 5/27/2014We had not been to Papillon for some years--but quality of the dishes is still high, as it keeps up with food trends. Menu is prix fixe, which was new to us. Service is a bit formal & stiff....how often are the wait staff in black with ties any more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.