410 Saratoga Avenue
San Jose, CA 95129Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lepapillon.com/
- Phone: (408) 296-3730
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Scott Cooper
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Le Papillon Restaurant has been one of the top premium caterers of northern California for years, catering to corporate, social and weddings in most of popular and beautiful venues of the Bay Area. Our goal is to provide the same quality of food and service to our catered events as we provide in our dining room.
- Private Party Facilities: Le Papillon offers four private dining rooms accommodating from ten to fifty guests, or the entire restaurant can be reserved to seat up to 100 guests. Our private dining rooms are separated by sliding French doors, offering versatility in seating while retaining the comfort and relaxed elegance of the main dining room.
- Private Party Contact: All Managers 4082963730
- Entertainment: Light Backround Music.
A word from Le Papillon
Contemporary French Cuisine with California inspired ingredients, best describes Le Papillon Restaurant. From its inception in 1977 till today with recent remodel and innovative cuisine using local sustainable ingredients puts Le Papillon Restaurant among one of the top restaurants in northern California. The seasonal menu along with ever changing tasting menu, offers great selection to be enjoyed in an elegant setting. The extensive wine list offers variety as well as quality. The service staff along with the Maître d" and Sommelier provide an experience to remember.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Le Papillon - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Le Papillon reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (96)romantic (86)fit for foodies (67)notable wine list (47)neighborhood gem (24)good for groups (9)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- One of our go-tos for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2014I LOVE eating in a sophisticated, QUIET place that has a notice to not use cell phones in the dining room. Thank goodness. Amuse-buche, champagne, wonderful French cuisine with the chef's personal twist. The ONLY thing I was slightly disappointed in was that the menu hasn't changed very much, so I didn't get to experience anything novel. But the quality of the duck I had was just as good as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable service, wonderful foodMikeyVIPDined on 11/21/2014As always, the food was imaginative and delicious. Some at our table had the 3 course prix fixe, and others had the 4 course. There were 4 amuse-bouches served throughout the meal. The raw scallop was my favorite. It was served in a very light sauce with a slender chive draped over it. Some of the notable appetizers were the escargot (not your typical butter and garlic prevention - it was served with fennel panna cotta and parsley puree), and their scallops. My favorite soup is the sugar snap pea soup. My friend loved her pear salad. The duck and the beef tenderloin were amazing. And they have a wonderful soufflé for dessert if you want to splurge on the calories. They have an extensive wine selection, but they are have a very reasonable corking fee if you want to bring something from home. They are quite helpful in suggesting wine pairings as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- some good, some just okayDGDGDined on 11/21/2014the amuse bouche treats were pretty good, so was the berries dessert. The bamboo shoot salad was too woody & tasteless for me, I would've like it more if there was less bamboo and more grapefruit & avocado. The king salmon was fine, could've used a flavorful sauce to go with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and outstanding service!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/19/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Le Papillon with some friends and business associates for a special occasion. Everything was perfect: from the personable service, great food to the relaxing ambiance. Everyone had a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful dining experienceMeHungryDined on 11/18/2014The entire dining experience was wonderful from start to finish. The waiter was excellent, sommelier well informed and the table staff courteous and helpful. Still, the food was the real show. It started at delicious and got better from there. Needless to say, we at ourselves silly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasting menu was outstandingFrugalFoodiesDined on 11/15/2014Great restaurant for date night or a special occasion, but make sure your group likes a little adventure. Outstanding food but be open to try new things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegantly SpecialSweetBasilVIPDined on 11/15/2014The Ambiance together with such delicious gourmet food and pampered service makes this one of our favorite places to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014It is in walking distance of our house. Great service Great food We love it for twice a year expensive dining. -52 Review hintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World class meal in San JoseOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/14/2014For a special occasion, I usually drive to San Francisco; however, the food and service at Le Papillon rival the best restaurants of San Francisco and should rank among the best anywhere. Last night I had the deer and my guest had a pork tenderloin. They were both done perfectly medium rare with sauces to die for! The amuse-bouches between courses were delightful in both taste and presentation. The Grand Marnier soufflé was the perfect ending to a perfect meal. The last time I ate here was several years ago and I found the service to be pretentious and the food overreaching - both have improved dramatically. Le Papillon deserves at least a Michelin star for last night's dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialEightyDined on 11/12/2014This was a special occasion and everything was perfect. The ambiance, the food, the wait staff and the little surprises from the chef. Next time we would have 3 courses. Four was too much for us to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Papillonrp55Dined on 11/8/2014I took my wife here for out fifteenth anniversary. This was our first time dining here and I wanted a special romantic evening and Le Papillon did not disappoint. Everything about the evening was memorable; the food, the service and the atmosphere.Special Features:
- BillVecinoDined on 11/2/2014The restaurant presented us with a nice little candle for celebration of our anniversary. We ordered a champagne cocktail when we were seated. We then ordered a bottle of wine to accompany our meal. We requested the bill when we finished our meal. Upon checking the bill I noticed that we were charged for 2 bottles of the wine rather than one. I do not think that was accidental.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- padcarVIPDined on 11/1/2014Great food! Nice ambience. We will go back to this restaurant soon.
- Height of sophisticationGourmetDined on 11/1/2014Every single bite was superb, from the wonderful three amuse bouches through every course of the meal. The salsify soup was a revelation. Interesting ingredients prepared in sophisticated and inventive ways. The service was a bit less than what we usually get at Le Papillon. He was new on staff, but that does not excuse not recognizing well known wine varietals. Oh well, we still had a marvelous evening.Special Features:
- Great place for celebrationDianaDined on 10/29/2014The staff was so helpful; there was a guest speaking on his cell phone and the staff handled it so well.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceFoodieloverVIPDined on 10/25/2014This place is definitely for foodies. I was delighted to find a fine dining place in San Jose area and this place did not let us down. Celebrated my husband's birthday here and we were very happy with the service and thoughtfulness of the staff. Food was amazing. we had such a great time I'll go over the experience: 1. FOOD: Fantastic food, we had a 3 courses meal, I would recommend the slow poached lobster and lingiune and prawn for starters. And for mains the beef tenderloin is simply the best! For desert, I would recommend their signature dish souffle - its yummm! 2. ATMOSPHERE: Great! The wait staff are super friendly yet professional, they were extra thoughtfull as well. I noted in my openTable booking that we were celebrating my husband's birthday and the staff was well aware of this when we got there. Each staff that came to our table greeted my husband. It just made the evening feel really special. 3. PRICE: At this time, in 2014, the minimum price per person is $70, and $80 with dessert, plus some dishes come with extra charges, and there's a wine pairing menu, too, and a tasting menu which sounds awesome. This comes with amazing, truly memorable food, though, so it's worth it if you have the money to splurge! However, one couple walked in, sat down, looked at the menus, and then walked out! Might have been too pricey for them, so be prepared to pay well for this great experience. I waited for a while before visiting, but it was well worth the wait! 4. RESERVATIONS: I recommend reservations, as the place fills up over time, especially on prime dinner nights, like Friday and Saturday. Overall, this place is outstanding! Had a fantastic, romantic and memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodNgalVIPDined on 10/22/2014A special occasion restaurant for us for years and we went again last week. The complimentary amuse bouche are delightful while looking over the menu. The tasting menu seemed to have a couple of fewer dishes on it than I recall in the past (maybe seven instead of nine), but the portions were larger and we were more than satisfied. The sea bream, squab and bison dishes were out-of-this-world fantastic. Dessert had strawberry and marzipan and was the perfect ending to the meal, though we've also enjoyed their signature grand marnier souffle in the past which I highly recommend. The reason to go here is for the good service, quiet atmosphere and consistently excellent food. Very much worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Restaurantfrequent1Dined on 10/18/2014I have been patronizing Le Papillon for many years now. I have entertained family, family celebrations and friends, and also been invited there by family and friends. I have always found the food appetizing and delicious with great presentations. The staff is courteous and attentive, and I always leave feeling happy and pampered. Another very important feature of the restaurant is that we can hear ourselves and can actually converse in our normal tones instead of having to shout above the fray to be heard. Apart from the food, the ambience of this wonderful place is the biggest drawcard for me. Thank you, Le Papillon ! Congratulations to the Chef !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatRichDined on 10/17/2014We go here whenever we need a quiet elegant evening with delicious food friendly service and a nice wine list. The 3 and 4 prixe fix choices are always satisfying and don't forget to order the Grand Marnier souffléSpecial Features:
- excellent for special dinneranton7364Dined on 10/10/2014A most excellent spot for a special occasion dinner -- creative and super-tasty French. Great service and fun ambience. Worth a splurge once in a while.Special Features:
- Wonderful "special date" mealOpenTJDined on 10/9/2014My wife and I dined here recently for our tenth anniversary, and were very pleased. We each did the chef's tasting menu, which included quite a few courses, but not too much food by any stretch. Several extra complimentary appetizers were brought out as well, and the when we weren't sure about getting a drink to start things off he offered to bring us each a complimentary glass of champagne. Each course was very artfully laid out, and very tasty. We shared a wine paring, which was enough for us both. Although it was very expensive, I felt for the attention to service and detail it was a good deal for a "special occasion" type of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Competent but underwhelmingGrantDined on 10/5/2014Many of the dishes were good but not good enough for the preparation and restaurant to warrant ever going back for. If a friend cooked this, I would have been mildly impressed, but at a rated restaurant it was a disappointment. The salsify soup was delicious as was the pear salad. The sturgeon was inedible, it had an off chemical flavor. The souffles were so eggy and lacking in the promised Grand Marnier orange that they tasted like extremely fluffy omelettes. I won't be going back.
- Wonderful as alwaysFantasticDined on 10/4/2014Jason our waiter is outstanding. We had the deer and swordfish. Both amazing. It's always exciting g to try the unique appetizers they surprise you with. Scallops and Snails app were wonderful. Baby lettuce salad was not what we expected. Should have been called baby greens. Would have picked something else had I known. But good none the less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014You get to choose 3 courses for $70 or 4 for $80. At this price it was very reasonable but the food did not "wow" us. In fact, 1 of the entree was "ok" and the other was great. 2 out of 3 appetizers were "ok" and 1 was great. I suggest not ordering the duck or quail, it was very heavy and slightly dry. If you insist on those entrees then order a cab to keep your taste buds awake. The ambience was noisy but very relaxed, it feels like we were at a wedding rreception. The waiter was also knowledgeable and passionate about service. I do wish they could serve a little bit faster. We sat there for a full 2 hours and even i think that's a little long for 3-4 courses.Special Features:
- Classy DinnerSteveVIPDined on 10/2/2014We showed up expecting a fine dining experience.What we received was better than our expectations. Beautiful dining room,outstanding presentation,wonderful service and food was incredible. Highly recommend this restaurant for foodies(especially those that love French),special occasions or for just going out for a great dinner.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodie find!gncablvrDined on 9/28/2014Don't miss this restaurant when in the bay area or you will miss a wonderful dining experience. The Chef did a wonderful job, also restructuring a menu for one of our guests with food allergies. We travel and dine constantly around the US and were very pleased. The lobster, scallops, duck, bison were done to perfection and to finish one of the best grand mariner soufflé we had in a long time. I will go back here again than make the drive to Gary Danko in the future. Service and ambiance were also stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappoint!GeekItUpBDined on 9/27/2014This restaurant was the highest recommended restaurant on 4 or 5 different websites. I was skeptical about booking our special Anniversary dinner here because it was SO highly recommended I thought it could only disappoint us. I'm happy to say I was wrong and it even exceeded our expectations! The food was incredible. Everything we ate was not only gorgeous to look at, but absolutely delicious! What I thought at first were going to be small portions ended up being the perfect amount. When you're having a 4 course meal you don't need huge portions! To top it all off the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Always a lovely experienceBarbaraluvs2dineDined on 9/27/2014We love Le Papillon. Whenever we want a special night out, we think of this restaurant. This is the only place like it in the San Jose area. I love that there is a dress code, that it is quiet, and that cell phones may not be used. The food is always exceptional, and the service is superb. You honestly feel that the staff appreciate that you are there. There is no snootiness, just elegance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ServiceCbuckDined on 9/26/2014This was the first time I've ever been to a real fancy restaurant and they treated me with respect and kindly and patiently answered all of our questions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeBalleDined on 9/19/2014Tried the tasting menu this time, and it was all very interesting and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Patio DinnerTwoBeerTeddyVIPDined on 9/15/2014My wife and I were seeking a good place to dine following a long day helping our son move into his first apartment. We arrived underdressed but were offered a table on the patio. It turned out to be one of the best and most romantic meals we've enjoyed in a long time. Food great. Wine great. Signature dessert amazing. On top of it all, the service was absolutely excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemNaeemVIPDined on 9/13/2014Not many people think of busy Stevens Creek Blvd with auto row to look for a great restaurant with excellent Grand Marnier Souffle but there it is -- this little french place. we have been coming here for many years and love the place. Last week we felt as if it has gotten an upgrade somehow!Special Features:
- Great DinnerGregDined on 9/13/2014Tasting menu was wonderful. Excellent service from Jason and bussers. Food was faboulous. All around excellent experience. Winner. gSpecial Features:
- lovely for a romantic birthdayLizaBDined on 9/13/2014expensive but very good. We had the Prix fixe with wine and dessert. the wine list had good choices for those of us that are splurging but not wealthy. None of the odd food combinations that seems to be popular with foodies at the moment. we really enjoyed our eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in San JoseHBG4DiningVIPDined on 9/9/2014This is a real fine-dining experience in San Jose. Great food, lovely decor and friendly, professional service. The parking lot is not very pretty but don't let that stop you for enjoying a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Celebration for 2OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/8/2014No Phones allowed at the dinner table! Finally a place that would like you to respect your party and enjoy a nice dinner!Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Excellent ServicemichaelbiermanVIPDined on 9/6/2014Really enjoyable for a special occassion. The amount of food was just right. I liked that we could choose a 3 or 4 course meal so we did 1 appetizer, two salads, two main courses and 1 dessert for two people. It worked out perfectly.Special Features:
- Absolutely outstanding.jc58VIPDined on 9/6/2014Delicious food. Incredible ambiance. Elegant without being stuffy. The complementary amuse-bouches are always to die for and the menu is creative and new while still remaining classic.Special Features:
- Great food, quiet and intimateKjchoiDined on 8/30/2014It feels like you are eating at home. The food is fantastic, and it doesn't seem to be hard to get a reservation. It is fairly quiet, which makes it easy to talk and feels romantic if you are with your significant other. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo!NomadDined on 8/30/2014Our family has enjoyed French cuisine in Paris, Provence, New Orleans and New York, and Le Papillon is as good - if not better - than any other restaurant we know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.