Le Nil Bleu
Montreal, QC H2X3L7Neighborhood:
EthiopianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Le Nil Bleu
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nilbleu.ca/
- Phone: 5142854628
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00 am - 12:00 pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00 pm - 12:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: African, Ethiopian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us directly for a personalized quote.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer private dining facilities for groups of 10 to 60 people.
- Entertainment: We offer a show with a pianist and flutist every Friday and Saturday from 8pm to 10pm.
A word from Le Nil Bleu
Le Nil Bleu on St-Denis Street in Le Plateau is a rare Ethiopian restaurant to offer flavorful, yet exotic meals that patrons keep going back for. The cuisine at Le Nil Bleu is composed of lamb, chicken, beef, seafood and vegetarian dishes. Le Nil Bleu also offers combo plates which allow diners to sample several offerings. The exotic decor features art, musical instruments and print fabrics. The environment is intimate and relaxing. Le Nil Bleu is also attached to Hotel Kutuma. A rare African style boutique hotel. The feeling of being in a stylish loft that radiates from our suites is due to the endless accommodations that our hotel has to offer. The rooms are designed to provide our clients with dining areas, working desks, open kitchen, comfortable couches, and most important with superb bedding to help our clients achieve the perfect sleep.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Nil Bleu reviews from OpenTable diners
- Nourriture excellente et différenteFabriceDined on 12/8/2012Nourriture excellente et différente, on mange certains plats avec les doigts dans des sortes de crêpes molles. A base de boeuf, agneau ou poulet, ou végétarien. On a pris le menu dégustation pour 2, un peu cher mais très complet, difficile de finir. Dessert très bon Service attentionné. La salle du bas est plus intime mais je préfère celle du haut. J'y retournerai.Special Features:
- I hadn't had Erhiopian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/1/2012I hadn't had Erhiopian food in a number of years and my 2 friends had never had it before. Le Nil Bleu far exceeded all of our expectations in taste, atmosphere and service! I'll be going again the next time I am in Montreal!Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurant in theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2012Fantastic restaurant in the heart of Montreal. Unique flavors that will make you crave more!Special Features:
- It was my second time at thisOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2012It was my second time at this restaurant. First time I went, i was at ground level, but this time I was downstairs. You could see how the ambiance changed just when you walked down the stairs (less decorations, and overall style downstairs). Plus we were just beside a ~14 person group, so of course it was noisy, but these kind of things happen, not the restaurant's fault. Our waitress didn't seem to like us for some reason so she gave us OK service. But of course the food was great, and i'll be happy to go back for a 3rd visit!Special Features:
- Unfortunately, we had a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012Unfortunately, we had a very unpleasant service. Ceci dit, la nourriture était excellente comme toujours.
- amazing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/7/2012unique and beautiful ambiance. quality restaurant, would definitely come back!Special Features:
- The tasting menu option gaveTorontoFoodie101Dined on 10/7/2012The tasting menu option gave us the chance to have all of our favourites.
- Went with a group of 9 people.wjjwDined on 10/6/2012Went with a group of 9 people. Server very helpfully offered to prepare several large platters for the table providing a complete sampling of the restaurants superbly delicious food (so much easier and faster than trying to have 9 people hem and haw over the menu). One vegetarian was among us and a special platter was prepared for her. The wide selection of "special" cocktails are wonderful. A thoroughly delicious and delightful evening. Only suggestion for improvement is a slightly wider selection of white wines (maybe add a reasonably priced Gewurztraminer and a Gruner Veltliner).Special Features:
- The restaurant was full andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2012The restaurant was full and I found it very noisy. It was unpleasant because I think the acoustic is bad! On the other hand, the food and the service was very good!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012Great food, great service and a great ambiance. Overall,It was a excellent experience. I will go back for sure.Special Features:
- Delicious, exotic, differentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2012Delicious, exotic, different. A fairly undiscovered cuisine, somewhere between Indian and Middle Eastern in taste. Restaurant itself is quite modern and somewhat upscale. The waiters suggest the tasting menu to share and this is what every diner should definitely do.Special Features:
- As first timers to the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012As first timers to the restaurant , the hostess/waitress was right on when she recommended the taste everything special. The food was excellent and we got a real good taste of all the foods. We are so happy we chose to go there and booking through open table was very easy and convenient.
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2012Great place! Food is amazing, and the ambiance is really awesome!! My favorite!Special Features:
- Lovely indoor decor but weOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/2/2012Lovely indoor decor but we opted for plainer street-side patio. Ordered a combinaton special featuring a few more dishes than the standard combos. Friendly and attentive staff. Will return.Special Features:
- A true gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2012My husband and I make it a point to visit Le Nil Bleu every time we're in Montreal, and we are never disappointed. The restaurant is casual yet elegant. The food is absolutely delicious, featuring traditional Ethiopian cuisine, served on large platters with bread, appropriate for sharing. Diners can choose from a series of combination platters, or create their own. There is an extensive wine list. Service has been friendly and helpful every time. I highly recommend Le Nil Bleu.Special Features:
- j'ai beaucoup aimé, trouvéeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2012j'ai beaucoup aimé, trouvée ça très classe, et très tendance, on pourrait penser que manger avec les doigts ferait du lieu insignifiant, mais c'était chic et bien au delà de mes espérances, merci beaucoup pour ce bon service.Special Features:
- It's a culinar experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2012It's a culinar experience! The service was awesome and the food was delicious. I really recommand it to everyone.Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/8/2012Fantastic! I wrote to my friends about it as soon as I got back to my hotel room. This is definitely a must-do every time I am in Montreal. It did take a lot of washing to get my fingers to stop smelling like dinner, though. Small price to pay for the experience.Special Features:
- We had another wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/2/2012We had another wonderful dinner at Le Nil Bleu. Food was plentiful and excellent. Very rare to find a restaurant these days where one feels that the price is appropriate for the quality and quantity of the food. Le Nil Bleu is a find.Special Features:
- We were visiting from BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/19/2012We were visiting from Boston and loved it! Excellent Ethiopian food. Very creative, yummy dishes. Great vegetarian selection.Special Features:
- Bonne Nourriture, experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012Bonne Nourriture, experience très interessante! tres bel endroit !! decor chic et prix abordable!Special Features:
- Ethiopian Food not for usOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2012It being our first experience at Le Nil Bleu, our waiter suggested we opt for the degustation menu which we often do when going to a new restaurant. We were under the impression that we would get to taste a bit of most of the plates available in the restaurant, that is plates from different african regions. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Instead, all of our plates were ethiopian, most of them seemed straight out of the blender and had to be eaten with our bare hands and millet pancakes. My wife having long manicured nails did not appreciate this very much and had to ask the waiter for a spoon. The food was tasty and well seasoned but we would have preferred it more diversified and some of it more solid. Other tables also too close.Special Features:
- The food was really good,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2012The food was really good, nothing bad to say about this restaurant! I had a grat time!Special Features:
- Great ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2012I really like how the restaurant has been renovated, hadn't been in a few years. Great ambience and happy feel to the place. Food was good, but I really wish the bread used under the food and to pick up/roll meat/veggies was more flavourful and less mushy. Loved the meat and crushed peas!Special Features:
- Excellent Ethiopian cuisine!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/6/2012Excellent Ethiopian cuisine! Delicious food at a very reasonable price! They had a very good two course dinner with a mixture of dishes for $25.00 per person. Also pleasant dining ambiance with a live pianist for much of the dinner. It is also lovely to be able to hear each other speak! It is a relatively quiet restaurant, which is much appreciated!Special Features:
- I went to the Nil Bleu andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2012I went to the Nil Bleu and unfortunately, the restaurant has changed a lot. The food experience remains good but before, it was outstanding. I was very disappointed. The service is very slow (as usual), I guess because it's fresh but still... The noise level is very very annoying. The room was loud (the restaurant was also full on the Saturday night). The decoration was also more authentic before. Now it is more occidental-ized and plays on all the African stereotypes... Overall, my return at the Nil Bleu has become a forgettable experience.(compared to my first wonderful one, a few years ago)
- Expérience hors du communOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2012Expérience hors du commun en mangeant avec nos mains. J'ai beaucoup aimé l'endroit, le décor est très beau, le détour vers les salles de bain au sous-sol en vaut vraiment la peine! Le service est très efficace, les prix sont corrects. Je recommande ce resto, il faut essayer le menu table d'hôte dégustation afin de goûter un maximum de saveurs.Special Features:
- The food is outstanding, andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/7/2012The food is outstanding, and so is the way to eat it! I love this food, and will go back there again. However, a few negatives: our table was facing a wall and in the middle of the waiters' runway, below the air conditioning switch (which was set on by one, set off by another all evening). A group was downstairs with us too, making conversation very difficult.Special Features:
- Our first experience hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2012Our first experience here was excellent. The waiter was very attentive, the food was excellent. The waiter was happy to answer questions about what were good times to come with back with an infant.Special Features:
- Asked for a "romantic table"OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2012Asked for a "romantic table" and wasnt provided with one. Hostess was unfriendly, table service was poor. Food was too salty and not as good as I remember. Was provided with a cold wet napkin which was sort of unpleasant. Isnt it supposed to be warm and steamy?
- Exotisme etOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012La nourriture est excellente et l'expérience est toujours excotique et à la hauteur. Il y a plusieurs fois que je vais à ce restaurant et je peux dire que la qualité des repas est toujours aussi excellente. Pour ceux qui aiment bien épicés on peut le demander on nous apporte une assiette séparée, la nourriture est préparée pour tous les goûts et donc moins piquante. Cependant, cela n'enlève rien à l'expérience dégustative, les sens sont sollicités et c'est ce qui fait l'originalité du repas. La nourriture Éthiopienne a de particulier que l'on devient adepte de ce genre de repas, on y va une fois et l'on y retourne c'est certain. L'expérience de manger avec les mains et avec l'injera ajoute à l'expérience mais, les épices subliment tout.Special Features:
- Good food, decent price forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012Good food, decent price for quality of food - but soooooo noisy, which was too bad. The atmosphere is romantic with cozy settees, sharing food with your hands, and live lounge piano music, but the general noise would make it less than ideal for an intimate dinner. It was packed on a Saturday night, so reservations are recommended. A fun outing with friends.Special Features:
- Great food and the great serviceMMMTLDined on 3/9/2012Great food and the great service let us order off the menu and have a great meal.Special Features:
- Experience a vivreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2012J'ai beaucoup aime mon expérience au Nil Bleu. La nourriture était Bonne. J'ai beaucoup apprécié le dépaysement, le changement. La combinaison B était très bien. J'ai bien aime le poulet, et la bouticha Purée de pois chiches, poivrons verts et oignons, assaisonnée d’une vinaigrette en entrée. Le restaurant est très beau, le service était bien aussi. La musique parfaite, les lumière tamisée faut de l'endroit un resto romantique. Je n'ai rien a redire. j'y retournerais en groupe pour pouvoir gouter a plein de trucs. Et je crois que c'est parfait pour les végétariens.Special Features:
- My husband and I really enjoyedNSIMDined on 2/18/2012My husband and I really enjoyed our dinner at Le Nil Bleu. The decor and piano music contribute to a very nice ambience, but the food is quite an experience, although I realize the concept of eating with your hands may not be appealing to some. For that reason, I'd not recommend this restaurant to non-experimental types.
- Waiters we're nice, food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2012Waiters we're nice, food was excellent. Wine was quite quite good. Both me and my girlfriend are vegetarians and we were thoroughly satisfied with the dinner for two vegetarian platter. Unfortunately we won't be coming back for a while as the dinner for two platter pretty much covered all of the vegetarian dishes and there is very little left to try. Lentils were delicious and probobly my favourite along with the red sauce dish which was quite savory. Least favourite was the spinach dish which felt a tad plain.Special Features:
- Excellent food, but I foundOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Excellent food, but I found the restaurant too over booked. The service was not perfect because of how many people were there. Also, it was tight at the tables because of how many people. Otherwise I really enjoyed the food.Special Features:
- Food was really good. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/4/2012Food was really good. Service was friendly but erratic (it took a long time to receive our drinks and they made a lot of small errors because of a mixed table with our neighbour). At the end, we received the wrong addition. But they were fast in correcting everything. Overall, it's a great place and a good experience. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Drink ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2011It was New Years Eve and all we wanted were our drinks to toast the holiday. Sadly the first round did not arrive for over 30 minutes. The restaurant was busy, but the food service did not seem to suffer just the drinks service and sadly drinks were what we were looking most forward to.
- As an experienced foodie,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011As an experienced foodie, I have to say this was an adventure for my taste buds. The food was mouth watering and the decor was modern with a hint of Africa; absolutely stunning. Great experience and perfect for groups. Make sure you go on an empty stomach and don't forget to notice the piano player in the background!Special Features: