Le Midi Bar & Restaurant
11 East 13th St
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Le Midi Bar & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lemidinyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 255-8787
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch/Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 1:00am
Sunday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Major sporting and other events shown on Le Midi's big screen on occasion plus karaoke available in bar below Le Midi.
- Special Events: In the bar area we have a large screen (projector), happy to show your movies, etc...
A word from Le Midi Bar & Restaurant
Our restaurant specializes in genuine French dishes with a nod to the south of France. Please enjoy our casual atmosphere with a cold cocktail or glass (or two!) of wine. We offer French classics such as onion soup, coq au vin, steak frites and some slight variations with the likes of daube de boeuf and ravioli with mushrooms. We also have many vegetarian and fish options. Come join us, we welcome your visit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Midi Bar & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (20)romantic (16)good for groups (13)great for lunch (11)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (10)special occasion (10)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Nice spot. Mediocre Food.drjoshDined on 11/15/2014First, the good. We were treated exceptionally well. Attentive staff. Traditinal Parisian menu. Relatively quiet and intimate, even though there was a large crowd at a nearby table (12 or so persons). Ambience was nice. Now, the bad. Food was poor to mediocre. The ahi tuna appetizer was nice and generous and was quite good (though I confess, I was famished at the time). I also had the tapanade appetizer, which was uninspired and could have come from jars. The coq au vin was decent, though I believe too salty. Otherwise, it was nothing special. The steak tartare was probably the worst I have had--not lean, some gristle present, overpowering spices, especially the horseradish. Desert was a chocalate ganache cake, which was very dry and perfectly tasteless.
- Have to go backsirnedVIPDined on 11/7/2014Excellent service, interesting decor. We did request a table change because around the bench at the very end of the restaurant the glass panel was broken and the area smelled very musty, like a basement. But the switch was cheerfully performed. At 6:30 it wasn't too busy, so service was super attentive. By 7:30 the place was hopping. We chose prix fixe. We had soups (French onion and Squash bisque). Both nice, very happy that onion soup wasn't superheated. Steak frite and salmon were done and seasoned just right.Good wine selection, interesting menu, would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sportydogDined on 11/6/2014Pleasant restaurant. Very quiet for a late lunch. I had the risotto which was a lunch special. Could have used a bit more seasoning but otherwise good. Had to send friend's burger back due to a hard-as-rock bun. Burger came back well done instead of medium with a softer bun. Service was nice. May give restaurant another try.
- Attentive and accomodating!eastknoller1Dined on 10/24/2014We were a group of ten and each arrived at different times but they were very accomodating. Our server, Teddy, was never to far from our reach to request for another drink or anything at all. He was very concerned that we were on schedule to make a show and therefore gave us a constant reminder of the time constraints with regards to ordering and consuming our dinner...amazing! We had an out of towner that arrived directly from the airport and needed a place to leave her luggage instead of lugging it with us to the show - their manager gladly allowed her to leave it in their storage room with no hassle as all!Special Features:
- Fabulous!AudsVIPDined on 10/16/2014Everything was super! Service and food great! It is a WOW and definitely will be back soonSpecial Features:
- Early dinnermatineedinerDined on 10/12/2014Le Midi was the perfect place for our early dinner after a Sunday matinee. The prix fixe deal is excellent. Everyone's food was delicious and the service was great, until the restaurant starting filling up with the regular dinner crowd. Our coffee took a long time to arrive and then the dessert took even longer. We had ti ask someone else since we couldn't find our waiter. It was unfortunate to end the evening this way since everything else was great!Special Features:
- Needs a little workVavalouVIPDined on 9/28/2014Food was pretty good and wait staff were courteous. However, some menu items were not available. Two of our orders were incorrect, so those two in our party had to wait even longer than we had already waited for their food. It was pretty empty during the time we were there, yet everything took so long (coming to take our orders, waiting for food to arrive, etc.).Special Features:
- Wonderful French BistroRocketmanDined on 9/27/2014Le Midi is a fabulous French bistro in the Union Square area. Went there with friends from out of town and the whole experience was great. The food was cooked to perfection (the duck was cooked perfectly to order), the staff very attentive and helpful (the owner even came by to see how our evening was going) and the ambiance of the place was just right (moderate noise levels and good lighting). I would recommend this place to anyone (and have!)Special Features:
- Delicious risottoGastronomeGalDined on 9/24/2014I chose Le Midi because the reviews were positive, the prices were reasonable and I wanted lunch around 3 PM near my final destination event. The room was very warm. I mentioned this fact and immediately the room was made cooler. I ordered the risotto du jour which was vegetarian and delicious. I can definitely recommend the risotto and the pleasant service and I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014Food was wonderful, but this place is a bit pricey for sure. Lunch for two - one of us had two appetizers and the other the salmon, two iced teas and then two sorbets. Over $70 w/tip. That is quite expensive for lunch even in NYC. This is a small bistro on East 13th Street off University Place - it's not Jean Georges or La Grenouille!!! They do have a prix-fixe though at $18.95 for three courses. Should have stuck with that since I'm sure it would have been equally as good.Special Features:
- Great overall experienceluvthebarDined on 9/11/2014Good food, nice/friendly service and good environment. Food was good value for the quality, great scallop dish to have with bread. Place not cramped and really good for larger parties.Special Features:
- Nice Neighborhood SpotAndrewVIPDined on 9/6/2014Nice French bistro - Good neighborhood spot. Good service and fun vibe. Food was a bit underwhelming, but it was reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BetsyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Went on a Groupon or Living Social deal for mussels. Mussels were fine but the portion was small. The fries, bread, and wine were good. I have no real complaints, but there is a mussel place closer to where I live on the UWS that I would go back to if I wanted mussels again.
- A Union Square FavoritebeerfanDined on 9/5/2014A wonderful, cool French Bistro in Union Square. This place has become our favorite pre movie night "date spot". The service is always top notch and attentive without being pushy or stuffy. The food is excellent, do yourself a favor and try the new scallop appetizer...out of this world, we were sopping up the sauce with the delicious warm bread. Classic Steak frites as an entree, cooked a perfect medium rare and for dessert fantastic creme brulee. The chef even came out of the kitchen to check on our meal and chat which was a nice touch. We absolutely LOVE this place and they have a great bar and happy hour to visit before dinner.Special Features:
- Groupon DinnerJannVIPDined on 8/22/2014We had a Groupon deal for Mussels & Frites for two with a bottle of wine. The Mussels were small but tender and cooked properly, the broth was not very flavorful. The frites and the bottle rose wine were both good. As the portion of mussels was small, we shared an order of mushroom ravioli and finished with so-so expresso & tarte tatin(a very poor example of this classic french dessert). We don't plan to go back any time soon.
- But for the traineesharonaDined on 7/26/2014Very pleasant staff, the trained server was engaging, offered wine suggestions when asked and made it a point to touch base during the course of the meal. The "fair" service rating was provided because our main "server" was under training. Apologies were made that the server was being trained. It was a special event, known at reservation,; they should have considered the impact it would have on our experience. Had we had the trained server, the rating would have been higher. The food choices are varied for most palettes; at our table, steak, salmon, sweetbreads and lobster salad were prepared well. The salmon was cooked as requested, a bit bland as were the lentils, the sweetbreads were very well prepared. We would certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is terribleFrigginfabfoodDined on 7/25/2014I had duck (hard for me to not like duck) and it was awful- Rubbery! The rissotto was disgusting overcooked and the sauce was disgusting! It was like hospital food. The waitress was nice though. It was a quiet spot on a Friday night because hardly anyone was there. With the food as it was and the prices what they are, I can see why... I am sorry to say it.
- The following 128 reviews are from the Le Midi Bar & Restaurant reviews archive.
- great -until dessertilikefoodtoomuchVIPDined on 7/21/2014we were enjoying our wine, appetizers and fish entrees. the bread and butter were delicious!. however, instead of chocolate lava cake we received a dried out muffin. the waiter said he asked the chef and it wasn't supposed to be like that and he would bring us another one. 15 minutes later no replacement and the dessert still appeared on our bill. up to that point I was glad to have a new restaurant in the neighborhood. now I am so disappointed with the poor treatment we received I am not sure I would want to go back.Special Features:
- food took foreverOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/16/2014even my one glass of wine took a while. so long that i forgot i ordered it. food was very slow in coming out, and they messed up one of our appetizer orders. the complimentary glass of wine to apologize was a nice touch though.
- Lovely gemPigletbankDined on 7/15/2014The store front to Le Midi may not be impressive because awnings are obscuring it, but when you step indoors it's a total 180. You are greeted warmly by the maître d' and then seated promptly. The food is delicious with an impressive looking special of the day (rabbit with saffron rice, I think). I ordered the coq a vin with mashed potatoes and it was very tender chicken. My friends had the risotto ("very creamy") and Brussels sprouts, while another had the steak frites, well done. No complaints. We had two desserts: the chocolate cake and creme caramel. I liked the creme caramel because of the rich, custardy flan flavor. The conversation level was great too. We could hear each other above the lively buzz of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- July 14thOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/14/2014This is one of the best Bastille Day observances in the City. The food was well selected for the special menu and very reasonably priced. The owner, Andy, is a sweet heart and genuinely cares about his customers, regardless of whether it's a special day or just any day.Special Features:
- Bastille Day Celebration-Oui!ihatenicknamesVIPDined on 7/13/2014We came down to Le Midi from Lincoln Center just for the Bastille Day dinner and were not disappointed. Champagne and petit tarts to start! Great choices for 3 courses and generous portions at "restaurant week" price. It was well worth the extra subway ride! I like this place--I wish it was in my nabe! Service was a little out-of-it but we sat in the bar area and they had just finished serving the World Cup Final patrons so they were a little shell-shocked. On other visit service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All-Around PerfectiontorlessDined on 7/11/2014Selected this flawless French gem for my birthday dinner of 13 guests, and could not have had a lovelier evening. The ambiance was lovely (both aesthetically and aurally; it was never too loud, even when it became crowded later in the evening); the food was STUNNING, as usual; and the staff was perfectly attentive. I'd been here before for brunch and adored it, but a fantastic large dinner party experience made me adore it even more. Do not miss the tapenade starter nor the ravioles aux champignons entrée.Special Features:
- Outstanding Pride BrunchbeerfanDined on 6/29/2014Met three friends here for brunch on Pride Sunday. Had a fantastic meal overall. A beautiful space and great escape after watching the parade around the corner. I had the fantastic Crab Cake Benedict and (more than a few) $5 mimosa's. Friends ordered the Midi Burger, Smoked Salmon Benedict and Egg White Fritatta. All of us raved about the food. Service was friendly and attentive without being "pushy" at all. Bar was packed with other parade goers, and they were playing the World Cup on the GIANT screen. Love this place, made a great day even better!Special Features:
- like to try againMerlot000Dined on 6/25/2014let me beginw/positive food was good service not good receptionist took our party to table ,no settings there ,one waiter on floor completely not able to cover all the tables noise level high high special memorial service in progress at the bar my guest had to wait for the pommes !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dining pleasure at a painless priceperfectdinerVIPDined on 6/9/2014This chef has a knack for soups -- the soup du jour is always a good choice. The daily specials, which rotate weekly, can be special treats too -- e.g., lapin and riz de veau. And as my title implies, you'll leave with money for a cab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really disappointed.Badger111Dined on 5/26/2014We brought a friend from out of town to Le Midi based on the rave reviews on this website. Perhaps the main cooks were on a Memorial day break, but we expected at least some of the excellence we had read about. What a disappointment. The Pino Noir was the same quality as a $10 bottle of plonk from my corner store. My really small piece of salmon on top of some salad was not worth paying $19 for. My wife's omelette was something that she could have made much better at home. Our guest had ravioli, and did not complain, so we remained quiet about the meal to preserve the joy of seeing her again. But we will never return.
- Wished I Discovered Le Midi EarlierTableTalkDined on 5/19/2014Le Midi fit the bill on all levels: attentive friendly service, well-prepared bistro fare and a comfortable noise level, althoughit was a Monday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeMidiitpelawVIPDined on 5/11/2014We were seated in the bar section which at first seemed a bit strange, but that way we got to watch and read (since it was sub-titled with sound off) "Double Indemnity" which was on the screen above the bar. More specifically, those whose seats were facing the screen could watch it. The food was very good and the service was helpful and attending, while not standing over us. Definitely worth a return visit.
- ihatenicknamesVIPDined on 5/9/2014Open Table steered us right once again. Except for the "really famous chef" restaurants in Union Sq., we did not know the area. Based on reviews from Open Table we choose Le Midi. And we were thrilled. Prices are reasonable for both wine and food--especially the prix-fixe dinner. The salmon and the steak frites were excellent. The best part was the special dessert--poached pear (in red wine reduction) w/ ice cream--Fabulous. We enjoyed it so much that I would go out of my way to come to Union Sq. just to eat at this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real find!xoxoDined on 5/4/2014We went here for a late lunch/early dinner on Sunday. The food was excellent and the service was good if a little overly attentive. If I lived in the neighborhood, I would drop by there on a regular basis for a drink at the bar or a delicious dinner.Special Features:
- Wonderful food & dining experiencealisonEatsDined on 5/2/2014I made a reservation for a large group for my best friend's bachelorette party. The restaurant was so nice and accommodating - they had no problem seating us and didn't force a prix fix menu. The table was ready when we arrived and we had wine on the table almost immediately. The food was great - everyone loved their dishes. The scallops appetizer was lovely. Many people got the steak frites and said it was cooked perfectly. I had the risotto and thoroughly enjoyed it. The servers were attentive and amiable. They even brought the bride-to-be a complimentary glass of champagne. Wonderful overall experience!Special Features:
- Good all-aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/1/2014Simple, tasteful, not too crowded, not too loud, delicious yet reasonably priced French cuisineI would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemSPA2014Dined on 4/29/2014We were greeted warmly and seated in a spot appropriate for conversation. We did not have to ask, yet it was perfect for our purpose. We explored the dinner prix fixe menu and had good luck with the duck tureen, steak frites and spring vegetable/shrimp risotto. My friend had sorbet and was presented with a replacement scoop when one of the choices was not a personal favorite. I enjoyed the poached pear. The service was attentive and fun with the waiter personally satisfied with positive feedback. We were not rushed; service was timely and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/23/2014Met a friend here for dinner. The service was outstanding. Grilled Salmon was delicious and well seasoned. I have not been to the other french restaurants in the area but this was a very nice, reasonably priced meal.Special Features:
- Don't be fooled by the exteriornycfoodieDined on 4/20/2014The outside isn't much to look at, in fact, we almost walked right by it. The inside, however, is spacious and with the high ceilings can give the feel of a French brasserie. We went for brunch, and the food was delicious. A hidden gem off of Union SquareSpecial Features:
- lovely spotfood4everVIPDined on 4/19/2014Good food reasonably priced for this neighborhood. The 3-course prix fixe dinner (5-6:30pm only) is a genuine bargain at $24.95. Service was great and we were out for the theater curtain as promised. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NYC BistroNYCDinerDined on 4/19/2014If you can't be in Paris, come here for a great food, excellent service and the bistro experience.Special Features:
- Good lunch spotLDNYCVIPDined on 4/18/2014Highlights of the meal were the golden lentil soup, the seared sea scallops with celeriac puree and the moules frites! Service was very cordial and they offer a great lunch pre-fixe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Group dinnerJennyLCVIPDined on 4/17/2014Came here with 7 other friends after Thursday Maundy service for "Last Supper" before Good Friday. Our waiter was very attentive and was great at describing the wine selection to letting us sample. The Beef stew, Coq Au, Beef Tarte were great. Pretty much you can't go wrong with the dinner entrees. Pear & chocolate cake dessert was decadent. Have to try the appetizers next time I return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.