502 H St. NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
H Street Corridor
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://legrenierdc.com/
- Phone: 2025444999x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00 pm Bar: until ....
Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm- Bar: until...
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm-Bar: until..
Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm-Bar: until...
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Chef Thierry Sanchez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Le Grenier
Le Grenier - attic, in English - is a space to enjoy French Cuisine with a great wine selection or craft cocktail in a vintage attic décor, a cozy atmosphere with intimate ambiance on the vibrant H corridor. Chef Thierry Sanchez offered a menu of French dishes with frequent changes that reflect the seasons.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Le Grenier - Best Restaurants in H Street Corridor ›
Le Grenier reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (115)romantic (93)fit for foodies (81)special occasion (67)great for brunch (59)notable wine list (42)good for groups (16)great for lunch (14)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- Haute Cuisine on H StOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/31/2014My wife and I had an outstanding meal at Le Grenier recently. We brought our own bottle of wine (free corkage on Sundays!) and they were great. They immediately decanted it and provided us with glassware. No grumbling, etc. We started with martinis that were perfectly made. We enjoyed them with cheeses recommended by our waiter. Great selection and plenty of bread. We moved on to the stuffed figs appetizer which was perfect to share. Our entrees were perfectly prepared and pleasantly presented. I had the steak; she had the lamb. For dessert, she had the coffee ice cream which she thought was outstanding. The waiter recommended the ice nougat crepe for me an it was excellent. Great pace of service. Great atmosphere. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- DecentgoodfoodDined on 8/31/2014Food was decent. Went in with high expectations because of online reviews, but left thinking it wasn't any better than some of my favorite brunch spots (in fact, I would argue that the food was actually not as tasty as some other DC brunch hot spots.) I did the brunch special (1 drink, 1 appetizer or dessert, 1 entree) -- their version of french toast was so buttery that when I cut into it with a fork and knife, the grease oozed out. Tasty, but soooo greasy!Special Features:
- Terrible dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014Third time dining here, but the quality has declined dramatically. First, we had to wait for 20 minutes after our reservation time, even though our table was visible, open, and set the entire time. Second, upon ordering a cheese plate appetizer, the plate arrived with one of the pieces of cheese that was entirely rind. When we pointed this out, the server reluctantly brought a very small piece of replacement cheese. Third, entrees were disappointing at best: a warm chicken breast served on top of cold tomato sauce and cold couscous; a beef stew with only fatty pieces of beef; a salad with "yogurt" dressing that was overwhelmingly garlic-flavored. We ran out of the restaurant as fast as possible and will not return.
- TRES MAGNIFIQUE!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Great little addition to the Captiol Hill...H Street Corridor line-up! As H Street continues to develop and now flourish, we are always looking for another excellent place to eat. Le Grenier is a keeper! The decor and ambiance are perfect. Hint…it ties in with the name. The wine list is extensive...the food and service; excellent. What's not to love?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The duck didn't blow me awayPhilDined on 8/28/2014I thought the sauce on top of my duck didn't compliment the meal well. It was tangy, and just not amazing. Not that it was terrible or anything, but I wouldn't get it again. The breads, cheese plate, and cocktails however were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or MissAmeriguyVIPDined on 8/27/2014This is the third time I've been to Le Grenier. The first time was terrific. The second time the food was grossly over-salted. This time the food was OK but nothing great. To compound the problem, we had to wait 25 minutes past our reservation to get our table. Fortunately, the restaurant kindly offered our party kir royales to compensate. I really, really want to like this restaurant because it has the potential to be very good and charming -- and it's in my neighborhood! But it's certainly not there yet.Special Features:
- Lovely Family EveningDCLiveDined on 8/23/2014We were a noisy family group, with several family members calling to change the number in our reservation, preceding our dinner.The staff could not have been more gracious.Staff was attentive to our large group and everyone enjoyed their dinner.The setting is always lovely and warm.Food was outstanding as usual.I always order the petite salad to start and it is just a bowl of lettuce with the best vinagrette.Just like eating in Paris.I had the braised beef stew for my dinner.The cubes of beouf were served on a bed of creamy,cheesey polenta accompanied by olives. I was too full for dessert, but I was contnet to finish my meal with my wine. Others had the various ice creams for dessert and were most happy with their selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousfinediner42VIPDined on 8/23/2014Tasty food, very nice presentation. I ordered two appetizers as my main course and I didn't even have to ask that they be brought out at the same time. The grilled octopus was delicious, as was the tuna salad in avocado.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Grenier est Magnifique!SarahDined on 8/22/2014We had a terrific dinner here -- everything was amazing but special thanks goes out for the Les Landes beef, the Salade D'Autrefois, the creme brulee and the wonderful (and very reasonably priced) Chateau Haut-Bana. We also enjoyed meeting the very charming and talented owner who is a delight. We will be coming back often! Merci beaucoup!!Special Features:
- Excellent French Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014This was my first time to Le Grenier as I have many other H St restaurants that are staples of mine. This will definitely be added to the list. Though, a bit pricier than typical H St prices, it was absolutely worth the money. Delicious and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantoin renovated H St.ElaineDined on 8/17/2014This restaurant is located on H St., NE, just behind Union Station. It's a renovated part of town and is safe and easy to get to. We were able to park right in front! The service was outstanding while not overbearing (always important). We enjoyed different appetizers, great entrées, and a delicious "trio" of tastes for dessert. The braised lamb and special shrimp were delightful. It is a very French restaurant, and even wine by the glass was very good. It is farily small, with a great bar area too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kate2245Dined on 8/10/2014Le Granier was absolutely perfect for brunch in every way ... service, food, ambience! I can't think of a better brunch experience I have ever had in DC! Bravo and well done! I'll be back and recommend it to anyone who will listen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French-liciousNOVAdiner35Dined on 8/9/2014First timer, WOW! The food was amazing. We are so glad we did tried this place. Thanks TravelZoo! We left very satisfied with the wait staff, the food and the drinks. It was a fantastic experience and I hope we get to go back soon!Special Features:
- Perfect spot for brunchFoodie4RealDined on 8/9/2014My mother and I enjoyed our experience, reminded us of when we lived in Germany and took day trips to France. The food was delicious, the bread was warm and fresh baked, delivered with butter. The mimosas were a perfect compliment to the food. The French Onion soup was GREAT, savory, and the chef used an excellent red wine. Definitely make a reservation, all of the tables were occupied.Special Features:
- fabulous, stylish and atmosphericPickyDinerDined on 8/8/2014Finally something beyond the conventional unimaginative DC fare. Great ambiance, edgy 18th arrondissment vibe. City chic, adventurous menu with a cafe feel, but with the quality, selection and influences of a fine french restaurant - without the pretention. Service was attentive, wine list was above par with a very reasonable markup. My husband and I had his birthday dinner here annd they produced a magnificent desert platter. A big win for the H Street corridor. Also would be a fabulous place for a private function. Hipper than DC deserves...thank goodness. We hope that Le Grenier thrives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014I visited for dinner and drinks. I believe I got there during happy hour (it was around 730pm) because we received 2 free drinks. Usually, I'm not a fan of drinks, as alcohol is nasty. But I thought the drinks here were really good without being weak. Also, the food was really good. A nice place to go and eat and enjoy your company. Maybe a little pricey, it was 80 dollars for 4 drinks 2 appetizers and an entree. But I'll visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- keeps getting bettersoxgalVIPDined on 8/3/2014We live nearby and I swear this place just keeps uping its game. If you go for brunch and they have the phyllo veal special - do not miss it!Special Features:
- H Street DisappointmentKittyBDined on 8/2/2014I was so excited to go to Le Grenier, and so very disappointed by the food. The tomato tart appetizer was sweet - as if they had put sugar on the tomatoes - and the tomatoes were so wet that the underlying tart was a pile of mush. The provence galette was merely a flattened crepe - soggy at that - with an incredibly bitter "pesto" - just basil and oil - base, a well roasted slice of zucchini and a few slices of tomatoes, covered in a bitter melted cheese. I can see what they were trying to do with this dish, but it was awful. The place was so busy that my uneaten food wasn't noticed by any of the wait staff. The shining moment, other than the company, of the evening was a bartender who delivered our delicious kir royale.
- Always a fantastic experienceWineauxInAlexandriaVIPDined on 8/2/2014We've been to Le Grenier before and as in the past, this experience was fanatastic. The food is excellent. The staff pleasant, friendly, and attentive. And, what is not to like about the French accents...you could almost imagine yourself dining in Paris. The wine list encourages you to buy a bottle or two. Despite the typical restaurant mark-up, most wines are in the $35-55 price range and good quality. My only disappointment is that the wine glasses -- while decorative -- are not the best for enjoying a very nice bottle of wine. C'est la vie, you are dining in a French attic.Special Features:
- Hidden gemSophiesTicketsDined on 8/2/2014You wouldn't expect to find a French restaurant with such wonderful ambience and authenticity in the less traveled neighborhoods of DC, but I was so glad I followed up on a blog post and chose Le Grenier for brunch! The eggs benedict were absolutely delightful. Word of advice: the mimosas are a bit strong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Grenier- Mixed IdentityAmaroneeDined on 7/27/2014The website promises beautiful modern French cooking. The reality is a bit different. Effort seems sincere, but final product is less than wonderful. Service was attentive, menu diverse, appetizers fresh and tasty. But main courses fell short of wonderment, lacking depth and nuance, and even overly salty. It also takes some imagination to rise above the dusty "attic" interior: torn wallpaper, lumpy chairs, miscellaneous "junque" and a brick wall painted with a Coca-Cola logo. A cleaner approach would have been more appetizing. We were grateful the decorative hanging birdcages were empty, but pigeons in this attic were conceivable. No one REALLY wants to eat in a granary, after all. We wished the product was as promising as the website.Special Features:
- Worthwhile experiencehiigaranDined on 7/26/2014From hand-made cocktails to the options for the cheese plate, there is a lot to like about Le Grenier. I highly recommend this place for getting drinks on a date. I've also heard the brunch is very good but have not yet had the pleasure.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemDinnerforsixDined on 7/26/2014Had a Lovely time. Very "bistro" French. We were made to feel at home. Intimate table made conversation between 6 of us easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gave it a shotjseelkeDined on 7/26/2014We came here because we had a Gilt City voucher - two steak and frites and two salads...The salads, while tasty, were definitely petit (you could eat it in one or two bites). The steak and frites was good, but I wouldn't put it into my best meal category. I honestly think that if I hadn't had the voucher I probably would not have been thrilled with the meal. But I didn't feel that the voucher was wasted...overall a good mealSpecial Features:
- The bread was outstandingchrissieVIPDined on 7/25/2014I had dinner with friends at Le Grenier. We were told that the restaurant had recently changed its menu, but I had not been there before so I have no comparison points. I had a Galette which was excellent, and I'm sure that their crepes would be similarly excellent. The cheese plate was not thrilling. However, as I pointed out in the title, the bread was absolutely outstanding.Special Features:
- great placeStelle1Dined on 7/25/2014this restaurant located in a changing DC neighborhood was a delight. The food and service were outstanding, but best of all was the unhurried atmosphere. We were able to enjoy our bottle of wine and dinner without feeling rushed in any way. A great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I lovely gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/25/2014Le Grenier was a wonderful find. It was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. Our waiter was very attentive to our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeJGeemanVIPDined on 7/23/2014Our 5th at this restaurant Really enjoy it here . Food is prepared just right, great wine selection, the service is attentive and the noise level is generally fine. The place is very clean and they go out of their way to make accommodations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative European CuisineAtlasHuggedDined on 7/23/2014My dining partner and I chose appetizers, light fare, and shared a dessert. We stayed away from the pricey entrees and were highly satisfied with our choices. The Avocat Cocktail was fresh and tasty, although the shrimp on top was too salty. the fig, cheese, nut and green salad was light but filling, and my pistachio ice cream and blackberry jam was yummy and not too much to finish the meal. After a stuffed fig and vegetable appetizer, my dining partner had a delicious galleta with pesto and grilled (I believe vegetables). Lots of flavor, great use of herbs, satisfying all around. We each would come back.Special Features:
- trying to hard for newness!luvauthenticDined on 7/22/2014Ate there twice first time very good and more basic French bistro cuisine. Two weeks later there was a new summer menu and it was not good. Beef stew mushy, other entrees had too much going on, trying too hard to be different. Go back to good basics or at least keep some on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality of foodPbest4nowDined on 7/22/2014Excellent presentation with great taste. Ordered four staters and four main, all were of the same quality. Two deserts for share was also great. It was by far the best restaurant we've ever been to,Special Features:
- great service & reliably good foodtallguyDined on 7/20/2014Great spot with stellar service and good French bistro food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingVictoriaVIPDined on 7/20/2014We waited over 30 minutes between courses. One entree arrived cold and the other had no flavor. Salad was uninspiring and dull.
- Very GoodMartyDined on 7/19/2014Although it was loud and small, I really enjoyed the food and the service was great. Had the duck and thought it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner out!EatingputDined on 7/17/2014Wonderful meal with something for everybody in a group of 8!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quick trip to FrancenoneedfornicknamesDined on 7/13/2014From the menus made from schoolchildren's notebooks, through the food, to even the carefully selected water, this place was a special treat for my special person who is French. She loved each course and all the details reminding her of home. As an American and a foodie I enjoyed it all as well.Special Features:
- Over 3 hours for brunchdcbruncherDined on 7/12/2014My friends and I were excited to finally try Le Grenier for brunch. We made reservations and arrived promptly, but our table was not ready and they said they were setting it up, so we were asked to wait at the bar. After 30 minutes of waiting and seeing that others who arrived after us were seated, we asked when our able would be ready and was told again that they were setting our table up. After about a 40 minute wait we were finally seated. We arrived at 12:30 and didn't leave until close to 4:00. While the staff was very nice, they were not on the ball at all. Maybe they were understaffed, but we were forgotten often. We had to request simple things like water and ketchup multiple times. Food was good, service was pretty bad.
- HmmmmOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014I like this restaurant a lot when I went and ordered off the regular menu, but for brunch on Saturday recently, it was quite bad. Amazingly slow service, preprepared food, in short: a disappointment.
- Diner42Dined on 7/10/2014One complaint was the same someone else had that I saw. I had reservations weeks in advance and when we get there the place is only half full and they were going to seat us but I mentioned I had reservations so they said let me see where you are seated. They then said our seat was literally right beside us at the door. They offered another table upstairs which we said yes to and it was right by the kitchen door. Fresh bread with amazing butter. My food was a little over spiced but otherwise excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find on H StreetHStreetYuppieVIPDined on 7/6/2014We were pleasantly surprised with Le Grenier. Inside the unassuming building was an authentic feeling French eatery, and the food was great as well. We went for brunch, but will be back for dinner.Special Features: