502 H St. NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
H Street Corridor
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://legrenierdc.com/
- Phone: 2025444999x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00 pm Bar: until ....
Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm- Bar: until...
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm-Bar: until..
Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm-Bar: until...
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Chef Thierry Sanchez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Le Grenier
Le Grenier - attic, in English - is a space to enjoy French Cuisine with a great wine selection or craft cocktail in a vintage attic décor, a cozy atmosphere with intimate ambiance on the vibrant H corridor. Chef Thierry Sanchez offered a menu of French dishes with frequent changes that reflect the seasons.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Le Grenier - Best Restaurants in H Street Corridor ›
Le Grenier reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (127)romantic (93)fit for foodies (89)special occasion (65)great for brunch (51)notable wine list (43)good for groups (15)great for lunch (12)hot spot (12)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- DelightfulDCResidentDined on 10/17/2014The food was outstanding, especially the butternut squash/cheese crepe with fig puree, the crab/mushroom in a puff pastry and the arugula salad. The coqAu vinSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad brunch experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/12/2014Service was not very good, whether it was poor communication on the part of who was to handle our table, or mix-ups in the kitchen, we waited for a very long time between initial mimosas and the meal, and then even longer for the check. A table of two sitting by the front windows completely idle should draw someone's attention.. We were stopping in for brunch, so not exactly fair representation of their complete menu, but brunch items were okay, and for $20 - an appetizer or dessert, an entree, and champagne/mimosa isn't a bad value. But considering the options ordered: eggs florentine and steak frites - the entire dining experience took far too long - with no explanation. The space is nicely decorated and the space is very vintage hip.Special Features:
- Suits us perfectlyFrancochileDined on 10/11/2014Waited too long to go here. Will be returning very soon, Fab food, service and ambiance. Only teeny weeny thing, a bit too dark downstairs. Music totally adored. Right up there with Bearnaise and La Chaumerie. Good job guys will be back. Merci. and you have genipi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice choice for special nightDCfoodfanVIPDined on 10/11/2014we've been here for dinner several times, always good. a nice addition to the neighborhood!Special Features:
- French comfort foodtrvlnshuzVIPDined on 10/8/2014Le Grenier - a small, unpretentious bistro on H street. I was visiting from SF on business, staying out in Hyattsville which seems a gastronomic wasteland (apologies to any who think otherwise or who know more than I do). Definitely worth the half hour/$60 Uber ride into town. Our party of 5 all had different starters and different mains, and all had dessert - this a group of non-habitual dessert eaters. I had the Bouchee (puff pastry with seafood and mushrooms) and the Coq au Vin. Both authentic renderings, fresh and delicious. "Wine Wednesday" meant we had two bottles of wine and only paid for one. Wine list is varied enough, good quality and modestly priced - sommelier has a good eye for value. Great cabaret music accompanied the meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being in ParisDebsteveVIPDined on 10/5/2014Can't believe this is on H Street. Very good food, atmosphere, service. Reasonably priced for DC. For a neighborhood bistro type restaurant, one of the best I've been to in the US. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy and adorableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Great food. Great spot for girlfriends to catch up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Autumn,French and DCOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/28/2014Delightful upstairs seating with a great people watching porch., but the service(Dimitry) and the food is the real scene stealer.Arrived a early for our reservation to a practically empty room but filled up quickly with smiling happy people who obviously had been there before and shared their comments and seem to glow with the past experience.Pate 1st. melt in your mouth like butter, brunch items spot on loved the crepes and the salmon Benedict.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, Authentic, and RomanticLCIVDined on 9/26/2014Had a great experience here. It is a wonderful place to go especially if you like to enjoy your meal and take your time eating while really getting the full dining experience. They have a great selection of starters, including an amazing selection of cheeses and wine. I had dinner there with my boyfriend and we were easily there for two hours, wining and dining, and we had a great time. The food was excellent (we had the roasted duck breast and the braised lamb); the bartender was friendly and attentive, who I assume was the owner was routinely visible on the floor, helping with the flow and checking on customers. It really was a great experience and I recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a nice, authentic meal and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Edible plusReviewer44Dined on 9/26/2014Good but not great neighborhood place with adequate wines and friendly waiters. Dessert especially good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice atmosphere, mediocre foodmedrenDined on 9/26/2014We enjoyed the funky, intimate rooms. But the food is heavy and greasy, with flavor-profiles that don't quite work. The fish didn't seem very fresh.
- 2 for 2captainawethumeDined on 9/24/2014The place is excellent. Their beer list has improved with it's addition of Belzebuth beer (one of my favorites) and the food continues to please. The only critique I'd have is that their music choice is a bit ehh. You know how you go to some places and you feel like you're actually supposed to be listening to the music because it's so loud? Well this was the case last time we were here. I really prefer the music to be sort of more nondescript and like white noise. I don't need Daft Punk to be blaring away. I'm there to eat. Not bob my head. Honestly. It's simple and not the biggest deal in the world, but it's a bit annoying. Not even the worst music playing, really. Just unnecessary. Anyhow, the service was wonderful as it always is.Special Features:
- Wonderful find!JaneDined on 9/20/2014Excellent french food- this may be out favorite french restaurant. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- What a gem on H!DCDinerDined on 9/19/2014What a lovely place. I've been wanting to try it for some time and finally had an occasion to do so. I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked the dishes b/c I never thought I was much of a French food fan. The setting (sat upstairs) was great as was the service. I'd enjoy going back to try their brunch and the bar also looked like a very cozy place to hang out. I'm thrilled to have such a nice, comfortable restaurant on H!Special Features:
- Good value, not great foodJMTGDined on 9/19/2014Our $55 coupon for 2 starters, 2 entrees, a trio of desserts, and a Kir cocktail was certainly good value, and the service was outstanding. Since we went early, it was very quiet except for the loud French music, which we actually enjoyed, especially since the setting is very nice. Sadly, though, we thought the food, which was plentiful, was not all that great and certainly not on par with other French restaurants in the District.Special Features:
- Always charmingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/18/2014Le Grenier remains one of our favorite go-to spots near Capitol Hill. The food is innovative and tasty, prices are very reasonable, and the service is charming. The recent harvest tasting menu was delicious and very reasonably priced, especially considering the amount of food and the caliber. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Le Grenier Remains a MustdpdcVIPDined on 9/17/2014A return visit to Le Grenier reconfirmed that the charming place on the up and coming H street corridor remains one of the best places in town to enjoy a French meal. The artful decorations, the friendly service, and a good selection of approachable wines underscore the high quality of the food. The menu is well thought out, the dishes are platted attractively, and, most importantly, the food reminds one of meals enjoyed in France. And, unlike some of our French restaurants that trade on pretentiousness, Le Grenier's owner and staff provide a warm welcome encouraging one to come back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely place, great brunchdccafeloveDined on 9/14/2014Brunch was great I liked the selection. Coffee was not bad at all. Most of all the waiter was great, attentive and the owners were aware of what was going on in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014I had the travel zoo deal for this restaurant, which is why I decided to give it a try. The deal was definitely a good value - basically half off. The food was good, though there are other French restaurants in town that I like better. I had the beef stew, and loved it. I was less satisfied with the appetizers: smoked salmon crepe (too salty) and the stuffed figs with cantaloupe (cantaloupe was not ripe). The dessert trio was mostly tasty - fantastic profiterole, good chocolate mousse, and the crepe with candied orange peels and grand marnier was ok (it was a bit heavy on the grand marnier). I liked the look of the restaurant, esp. the beautiful old brick walls, but the music was too loud for conversation. Service was on the slow side.
- MaisetteDined on 9/12/2014Overall, Dinner for 8 was enjoyable + a good value (w/ coupon $55 for 2). We liked the French ambience + would definitely return. On the downside, some menu items are excellent (Kir; Avocado Salad; Froglegs; Desserts) and some not so (Hanger Steak-tough; Steelhead Trout-looked + tasted identical to Salmon). Conversation is difficult (rest. is noisy + has no round tables) and service was knowledgeable + pleasant but almost too leisurely (took 2 1/2 hrs.)Special Features:
- The best hidden gem on H Street!Quinn55Dined on 9/11/2014A hidden gem. The ambiance was perfect, the service was friendly and very attentive. I highly recommend the cheese platter, which comes with fresh fruit and nuts, along with warm French baguettes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminded us of ParisDCdinerDined on 9/11/2014Le Grenier reminded us of our old neighborhood restaurant in Paris. The food was flavorful and delicious and the server was helpful and attentive. We really enjoyed our evening and will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/10/2014Our service was excellent and the food was very good.....especially good for the price. I liked the ambiance....reminded us of several small bistros we frequented in France. Nothing fancy, but very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014The food was tasty and presented beautifully, very enjoyable. Staff were very attentive and friendly (cute too). Decorating was fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014Second time at this restaurant and it was just as fabulous as the first time. This round my girlfriend and I were there for brunch. Great deal,for great food. This is a must go to spot.Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceDCRestaurantsDined on 9/7/2014We had 4 for brunch, and waited about 15 minutes after ordering drinks to receive them, and another 35 or 40 to receive our food after we ordered. The place wasn't too busy, so we weren't sure why the service was slow. The food was good though, and the ambiance is rustic and charming.Special Features:
- Another Great Meal at Le GrenierAndreaKVIPDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I dined here for the 3rd time and are always delighted with the food, atmosphere and service. This is a wonderful restaurant with beautifully prepared food. Our only regret is that Coq Au Vin isn't a regular on its menu and it should be - they do a beautiful job in the preparation of this classic dish.Special Features:
- Can't get to France? Eat here!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/5/2014In a word--awesome!! The food and service were just flawless. The frog legs were delicious. I also loved the wild salmon steak and my husband loved his lamb. He said that it was very tender (even though he ordered it well done). We ended the meal with a "dessert trio" for two which included a crepe suzette, ice cream, and pudding. Pure heaven!! My only "complaint" is that the dessert trio was served on a single plate that did not have an edge. Thus, some of the liquid from the crepe flowed onto the table when I much preferred it to be in my mouth. Don't hesitate to give this place a chance. You won't be sorry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Haute Cuisine on H StDCDonnieDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I had an outstanding meal at Le Grenier recently. We brought our own bottle of wine (free corkage on Sundays!) and they were great. They immediately decanted it and provided us with glassware. No grumbling, etc. We started with martinis that were perfectly made. We enjoyed them with cheeses recommended by our waiter. Great selection and plenty of bread. We moved on to the stuffed figs appetizer which was perfect to share. Our entrees were perfectly prepared and pleasantly presented. I had the steak; she had the lamb. For dessert, she had the coffee ice cream which she thought was outstanding. The waiter recommended the ice nougat crepe for me an it was excellent. Great pace of service. Great atmosphere. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- DecentgoodfoodVIPDined on 8/31/2014Food was decent. Went in with high expectations because of online reviews, but left thinking it wasn't any better than some of my favorite brunch spots (in fact, I would argue that the food was actually not as tasty as some other DC brunch hot spots.) I did the brunch special (1 drink, 1 appetizer or dessert, 1 entree) -- their version of french toast was so buttery that when I cut into it with a fork and knife, the grease oozed out. Tasty, but soooo greasy!Special Features:
- French FlairFoodwizDined on 8/31/2014This bistro reminds me of France, I'll definitely dine here for special occasions. If I lived in the area I'd be a regular. The French Onion Soup, bread and butter alone are worth the trip.Special Features:
- Terrible dining experienceFoodFunDined on 8/30/2014Third time dining here, but the quality has declined dramatically. First, we had to wait for 20 minutes after our reservation time, even though our table was visible, open, and set the entire time. Second, upon ordering a cheese plate appetizer, the plate arrived with one of the pieces of cheese that was entirely rind. When we pointed this out, the server reluctantly brought a very small piece of replacement cheese. Third, entrees were disappointing at best: a warm chicken breast served on top of cold tomato sauce and cold couscous; a beef stew with only fatty pieces of beef; a salad with "yogurt" dressing that was overwhelmingly garlic-flavored. We ran out of the restaurant as fast as possible and will not return.
- TRES MAGNIFIQUE!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Great little addition to the Captiol Hill...H Street Corridor line-up! As H Street continues to develop and now flourish, we are always looking for another excellent place to eat. Le Grenier is a keeper! The decor and ambiance are perfect. Hint…it ties in with the name. The wine list is extensive...the food and service; excellent. What's not to love?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The duck didn't blow me awayPhilDined on 8/28/2014I thought the sauce on top of my duck didn't compliment the meal well. It was tangy, and just not amazing. Not that it was terrible or anything, but I wouldn't get it again. The breads, cheese plate, and cocktails however were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or MissAmeriguyVIPDined on 8/27/2014This is the third time I've been to Le Grenier. The first time was terrific. The second time the food was grossly over-salted. This time the food was OK but nothing great. To compound the problem, we had to wait 25 minutes past our reservation to get our table. Fortunately, the restaurant kindly offered our party kir royales to compensate. I really, really want to like this restaurant because it has the potential to be very good and charming -- and it's in my neighborhood! But it's certainly not there yet.Special Features:
- Lovely Family EveningDCLiveDined on 8/23/2014We were a noisy family group, with several family members calling to change the number in our reservation, preceding our dinner.The staff could not have been more gracious.Staff was attentive to our large group and everyone enjoyed their dinner.The setting is always lovely and warm.Food was outstanding as usual.I always order the petite salad to start and it is just a bowl of lettuce with the best vinagrette.Just like eating in Paris.I had the braised beef stew for my dinner.The cubes of beouf were served on a bed of creamy,cheesey polenta accompanied by olives. I was too full for dessert, but I was contnet to finish my meal with my wine. Others had the various ice creams for dessert and were most happy with their selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousfinediner42VIPDined on 8/23/2014Tasty food, very nice presentation. I ordered two appetizers as my main course and I didn't even have to ask that they be brought out at the same time. The grilled octopus was delicious, as was the tuna salad in avocado.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Grenier est Magnifique!SarahDined on 8/22/2014We had a terrific dinner here -- everything was amazing but special thanks goes out for the Les Landes beef, the Salade D'Autrefois, the creme brulee and the wonderful (and very reasonably priced) Chateau Haut-Bana. We also enjoyed meeting the very charming and talented owner who is a delight. We will be coming back often! Merci beaucoup!!Special Features:
- Excellent French Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014This was my first time to Le Grenier as I have many other H St restaurants that are staples of mine. This will definitely be added to the list. Though, a bit pricier than typical H St prices, it was absolutely worth the money. Delicious and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantoin renovated H St.ElaineDined on 8/17/2014This restaurant is located on H St., NE, just behind Union Station. It's a renovated part of town and is safe and easy to get to. We were able to park right in front! The service was outstanding while not overbearing (always important). We enjoyed different appetizers, great entrées, and a delicious "trio" of tastes for dessert. The braised lamb and special shrimp were delightful. It is a very French restaurant, and even wine by the glass was very good. It is farily small, with a great bar area too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.