502 H St. NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
H Street Corridor
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://legrenierdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 544-4999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00 pm Bar: until ....
Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm- Bar: until...
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm-Bar: until..
Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm-Bar: until...
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Chef Thierry Sanchez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Le Grenier
Le Grenier - attic, in English - is a space to enjoy French Cuisine with a great wine selection or craft cocktail in a vintage attic décor, a cozy atmosphere with intimate ambiance on the vibrant H corridor. Chef Thierry Sanchez offered a menu of French dishes with frequent changes that reflect the seasons.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Le Grenier - Best Restaurants in H Street Corridor ›
Le Grenier reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (106)romantic (82)fit for foodies (80)special occasion (53)great for brunch (52)notable wine list (36)good for groups (13)great for lunch (12)hot spot (10)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Pas mal du toutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014The food was fantastic and they even gave us a free bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau! Hard to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingFrDCDined on 11/15/2014My wife and I dined together here and we loved it. We recommend the arugula salad and a selection of cheeses for starters. The Port Salut and the Comte cheeses were especially good. Her lamb was amazing. My fish of the day--Wahoo--was stronger than I prefer, but the pureed carrots with cardamom seeds made me very happy. The waiter's thick French accent was difficult to understand, but he was nevertheless friendly and eager to serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very frenchkacysueVIPDined on 11/9/2014You'll get the stereotypical French attitude at this place, especially if they are busy. Slow service and a rude front of the house, but great food and if you want the authentic French experience, you're definitely getting it here.Special Features:
- Sophie7Dined on 11/9/2014The staff was friendly and very helpful plus the brunch was great. I had eggs Benedict with salmon and it had just the right amount of hollandaise sauce....some restaurants serve too much. I love french fries in French restaurants and these were exceptional. We really liked the atmosphere, exposed brick walls and decor of the restaurant. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantMelwayDined on 11/9/2014Had a great brunch at Le Grenier. Very charming atmosphere and authentic French restaurant. It is great to find a place for leisurely dining. The French Onion soup is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinner spotmikeDined on 11/8/2014I've been here a few times - appetizers - cheese plate - and dessert crepes go a long way. Love the decor - but the tables for 2 are a little close together. This is a great place to start your night - or to seek out great dessert crepes at the end of your nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French country chiccastanza115Dined on 11/8/2014I found this place online and it had decent reviews. I am always skeptical about everyone else's reviews but this place was adorable. My gf who never leaves the NW quadrant was also pleased. The decor is absolutely lovely. All of the staff is either french or speaks with an excellent accent. We were running a few minutes late for our reservation but the woman (manager? owner? person in charge) was absolutely accommodating. The prix fix menu is a great price and the food was delicious! Eat the bread they give you. Its warm and excellent. I will definitely return!Special Features:
- Charming findLayercakeDined on 11/2/2014Terrific food, service, and ambiance. Would definitely go back multiple times. The food was excellent and the portions were more than fair for the price. Minus 1/2 a star for music that could have been a touch lower, and for having to wait over 15 minutes for our table when we had a reservation, otherwise an an absolutely lovely experience.Special Features:
- Wanted to Like itDCienDined on 10/28/2014This place has all the ingredients of a good restaurant: great staff, great space and decor and good location but the food is mediocre. I am a well traveled experienced eater and I was hoping for a better eating experience especially with the $100+ we paid for the dinner. In short the food is not french food, take the galettes for instance, instead of a rustic pie, they serve crepes as galette, and on top of that they didn't taste good. The coq au vin was the worst I had in my life. The blini and salmon appetizers went back untouched and the desert was so horrible that they gave us a free one. Though the service is good, the place needs help in the kitchen. Because it's two blocks away, if I ever go back, it will be for a glass of wine.Special Features:
- Out of town visitBoscoDined on 10/25/2014Very good presentation of the dishes with some unusual takes on a few French standards. The fish was excellent and the portion was generous. The veal was also very good. While somewhat expensive, the overall quality of the food, the presentation, and the service more than justified the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality food, but slow serviceSaturdayBruncherDined on 10/25/2014Service was pleasant and polite, but very slow. The server had so many tables, it took long long periods of time for him to acknowledge us, check on us, or provide our next course. I am hoping that was an unusually busy time for them. I was in good company, and both my firend and I were very patient...exceptionally so. Overall, I liked this place very much--mostly for the food, and the brunch deals. But I would have to have a better experience there before I could recommend this to someone else.Special Features:
- cute little brunch cafeChrysDined on 10/25/2014I had brunch here with the boyfriend. They have this deal where you get an appetizer and entree OR entree and dessert for $19 plus mimosa or champagne. Pretty good deal. The food was great. I had pate, which tasted amazing on their fresh-baked baguettes. Galette was decent, and boyfriend loved his steak. I appreciated all the attention to details in the decor of the restaurant. Service was attentive and friendly. Probably won't go too often because of the drive but maybe when the streetcars open, it'll be easier to access.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible FoodAndrewDined on 10/24/2014I have been to Le Grenier several times. Each visit was excellent. The food is incredible, and the staff are friendly. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticDinersVIPDined on 10/19/2014Fantastic as always! Got into town late Sunday night and caught the kitchen still open and Wow! Food and Service were great as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotDrBeareatsoutVIPDined on 10/19/2014Great French Food and a reasonable price. The ambiance is awesome. The cocktails are amazing. Definitely a good place to become a regular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentHudsonDined on 10/18/2014Food, service, ambiance all add up to an excellent meal. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Another great dinner again!FrancochileDined on 10/18/2014Just love this restaurant. French Riviera cocktail is to die for. Each time we go it is a new and lovely experience. Food is very very good. Lamb chops, coq au vin, veal, cheeses, to mention just a few all terrific. Ambiance very French bistro and the music just adds to the delightful experience. Service and wine list could not ask for better. I think Marie has a keeper here. Well done. See you again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulDCResidentDined on 10/17/2014The food was outstanding, especially the butternut squash/cheese crepe with fig puree, the crab/mushroom in a puff pastry and the arugula salad. The coqAu vinSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad brunch experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/12/2014Service was not very good, whether it was poor communication on the part of who was to handle our table, or mix-ups in the kitchen, we waited for a very long time between initial mimosas and the meal, and then even longer for the check. A table of two sitting by the front windows completely idle should draw someone's attention.. We were stopping in for brunch, so not exactly fair representation of their complete menu, but brunch items were okay, and for $20 - an appetizer or dessert, an entree, and champagne/mimosa isn't a bad value. But considering the options ordered: eggs florentine and steak frites - the entire dining experience took far too long - with no explanation. The space is nicely decorated and the space is very vintage hip.Special Features:
- Suits us perfectlyFrancochileDined on 10/11/2014Waited too long to go here. Will be returning very soon, Fab food, service and ambiance. Only teeny weeny thing, a bit too dark downstairs. Music totally adored. Right up there with Bearnaise and La Chaumerie. Good job guys will be back. Merci. and you have genipi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice choice for special nightDCfoodfanVIPDined on 10/11/2014we've been here for dinner several times, always good. a nice addition to the neighborhood!Special Features:
- French comfort foodtrvlnshuzVIPDined on 10/8/2014Le Grenier - a small, unpretentious bistro on H street. I was visiting from SF on business, staying out in Hyattsville which seems a gastronomic wasteland (apologies to any who think otherwise or who know more than I do). Definitely worth the half hour/$60 Uber ride into town. Our party of 5 all had different starters and different mains, and all had dessert - this a group of non-habitual dessert eaters. I had the Bouchee (puff pastry with seafood and mushrooms) and the Coq au Vin. Both authentic renderings, fresh and delicious. "Wine Wednesday" meant we had two bottles of wine and only paid for one. Wine list is varied enough, good quality and modestly priced - sommelier has a good eye for value. Great cabaret music accompanied the meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being in ParisDebsteveVIPDined on 10/5/2014Can't believe this is on H Street. Very good food, atmosphere, service. Reasonably priced for DC. For a neighborhood bistro type restaurant, one of the best I've been to in the US. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy and adorableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Great food. Great spot for girlfriends to catch up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Autumn,French and DCOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/28/2014Delightful upstairs seating with a great people watching porch., but the service(Dimitry) and the food is the real scene stealer.Arrived a early for our reservation to a practically empty room but filled up quickly with smiling happy people who obviously had been there before and shared their comments and seem to glow with the past experience.Pate 1st. melt in your mouth like butter, brunch items spot on loved the crepes and the salmon Benedict.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, Authentic, and RomanticLCIVDined on 9/26/2014Had a great experience here. It is a wonderful place to go especially if you like to enjoy your meal and take your time eating while really getting the full dining experience. They have a great selection of starters, including an amazing selection of cheeses and wine. I had dinner there with my boyfriend and we were easily there for two hours, wining and dining, and we had a great time. The food was excellent (we had the roasted duck breast and the braised lamb); the bartender was friendly and attentive, who I assume was the owner was routinely visible on the floor, helping with the flow and checking on customers. It really was a great experience and I recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a nice, authentic meal and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Edible plusReviewer44Dined on 9/26/2014Good but not great neighborhood place with adequate wines and friendly waiters. Dessert especially good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice atmosphere, mediocre foodmedrenDined on 9/26/2014We enjoyed the funky, intimate rooms. But the food is heavy and greasy, with flavor-profiles that don't quite work. The fish didn't seem very fresh.
- 2 for 2captainawethumeDined on 9/24/2014The place is excellent. Their beer list has improved with it's addition of Belzebuth beer (one of my favorites) and the food continues to please. The only critique I'd have is that their music choice is a bit ehh. You know how you go to some places and you feel like you're actually supposed to be listening to the music because it's so loud? Well this was the case last time we were here. I really prefer the music to be sort of more nondescript and like white noise. I don't need Daft Punk to be blaring away. I'm there to eat. Not bob my head. Honestly. It's simple and not the biggest deal in the world, but it's a bit annoying. Not even the worst music playing, really. Just unnecessary. Anyhow, the service was wonderful as it always is.Special Features:
- Wonderful find!JaneDined on 9/20/2014Excellent french food- this may be out favorite french restaurant. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- What a gem on H!DCDinerDined on 9/19/2014What a lovely place. I've been wanting to try it for some time and finally had an occasion to do so. I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked the dishes b/c I never thought I was much of a French food fan. The setting (sat upstairs) was great as was the service. I'd enjoy going back to try their brunch and the bar also looked like a very cozy place to hang out. I'm thrilled to have such a nice, comfortable restaurant on H!Special Features:
- Good value, not great foodJMTGDined on 9/19/2014Our $55 coupon for 2 starters, 2 entrees, a trio of desserts, and a Kir cocktail was certainly good value, and the service was outstanding. Since we went early, it was very quiet except for the loud French music, which we actually enjoyed, especially since the setting is very nice. Sadly, though, we thought the food, which was plentiful, was not all that great and certainly not on par with other French restaurants in the District.Special Features:
- Always charmingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/18/2014Le Grenier remains one of our favorite go-to spots near Capitol Hill. The food is innovative and tasty, prices are very reasonable, and the service is charming. The recent harvest tasting menu was delicious and very reasonably priced, especially considering the amount of food and the caliber. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Le Grenier Remains a MustdpdcVIPDined on 9/17/2014A return visit to Le Grenier reconfirmed that the charming place on the up and coming H street corridor remains one of the best places in town to enjoy a French meal. The artful decorations, the friendly service, and a good selection of approachable wines underscore the high quality of the food. The menu is well thought out, the dishes are platted attractively, and, most importantly, the food reminds one of meals enjoyed in France. And, unlike some of our French restaurants that trade on pretentiousness, Le Grenier's owner and staff provide a warm welcome encouraging one to come back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely place, great brunchdccafeloveDined on 9/14/2014Brunch was great I liked the selection. Coffee was not bad at all. Most of all the waiter was great, attentive and the owners were aware of what was going on in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014I had the travel zoo deal for this restaurant, which is why I decided to give it a try. The deal was definitely a good value - basically half off. The food was good, though there are other French restaurants in town that I like better. I had the beef stew, and loved it. I was less satisfied with the appetizers: smoked salmon crepe (too salty) and the stuffed figs with cantaloupe (cantaloupe was not ripe). The dessert trio was mostly tasty - fantastic profiterole, good chocolate mousse, and the crepe with candied orange peels and grand marnier was ok (it was a bit heavy on the grand marnier). I liked the look of the restaurant, esp. the beautiful old brick walls, but the music was too loud for conversation. Service was on the slow side.
- MaisetteDined on 9/12/2014Overall, Dinner for 8 was enjoyable + a good value (w/ coupon $55 for 2). We liked the French ambience + would definitely return. On the downside, some menu items are excellent (Kir; Avocado Salad; Froglegs; Desserts) and some not so (Hanger Steak-tough; Steelhead Trout-looked + tasted identical to Salmon). Conversation is difficult (rest. is noisy + has no round tables) and service was knowledgeable + pleasant but almost too leisurely (took 2 1/2 hrs.)Special Features:
- The best hidden gem on H Street!Quinn55Dined on 9/11/2014A hidden gem. The ambiance was perfect, the service was friendly and very attentive. I highly recommend the cheese platter, which comes with fresh fruit and nuts, along with warm French baguettes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminded us of ParisDCdinerDined on 9/11/2014Le Grenier reminded us of our old neighborhood restaurant in Paris. The food was flavorful and delicious and the server was helpful and attentive. We really enjoyed our evening and will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/10/2014Our service was excellent and the food was very good.....especially good for the price. I liked the ambiance....reminded us of several small bistros we frequented in France. Nothing fancy, but very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.