Le Garage Beer Bar & Frites
911 W 36th Street
Baltimore, MD 21211Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Le Garage Beer Bar & Frites
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.legaragebaltimore.com/
- Phone: 4102436300x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday to Thursday 5 p.m. to Midnight (late night menu only after 10)
Friday and Saturday 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. (late night menu only after 11)
Sunday 5 p.m. to Midnight (late night menu only after 10)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Sarah Acconcia
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Le Garage Beer Bar & Frites
Le Garage Beer Bar and Frites, a hardworking little neighborhood bar & restaurant in Hampden serving approachable French cuisine including savory frites with a multitude of creative dipping sauces, and an eclectic list of 14 draft beers focusing on French, Belgian and local craft breweries. Parking available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Garage Beer Bar & Frites reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (107)neighborhood gem (107)late-night find (44)vibrant bar scene (41)hot spot (38)special occasion (35)good for groups (34)romantic (27)notable wine list (19)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Great spot for a casual dinner. Food was good, but not outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad waitress...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/14/2014bad waitress, slow service, uneven food, sold-out food and beer selections made for a less than pleasant visit to Le Garage. Likely won't be visiting again, too many other fine places to go in the area.
- makeitcountDined on 10/14/2014Great beer and wonderful frites! The brussel sprouts are incredible, onion soup delicious and the bread pudding with ice cream was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above expectations!TravellerDined on 10/14/2014I was not expecting such generous portions from the very reasonably priced weekday 3-course pre fixe menu. After the complementary bread and home-made butter, and the requisite Frites (very good but filling!) I started with chicken wings (6), which were so tender the meat really did fall off the bone. The slightly crispy skin with mild mustard-seed sauce was delicious. The main entrée was a 6-oz pork chop, which was cooked perfectly and (for pork) was very lean and tender. Desert was a chocolate creme with salted caramel sauce---again very tasty! Service was friendly and efficient, and the server's recommendation on the pork chops was spot-on. Will definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- Upretentious FrenchmkwmdDined on 10/12/2014Interesting basement location (down a ramp), very comfortable, with very attentive and helpful service. We shared 3 appetizers and some of the wonderful "frites" and tried several of the assorted draft beers. I will come back here again. I'd like to try some of the entrees.Special Features:
- merOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014the staff was fantastic. most helpful i have come across. the food was good. some menu changes but the options were very goodSpecial Features:
- AwesomeSJKRVIPDined on 10/12/2014Really terrific dining experience all around. They obviously care about every detail - the drink menu was terrific - my mom and dad and I all had different cocktails and they were awesome! The bone marrow appetizer was ridiculously good and everyone enjoyed their meals. We even had a cheese plate and dessert which were so delicious - the chocolate desert was creamy, decadent but somehow not too heavy! Love the "garage" feel as well. What a gem.Special Features:
- great service, salty foodBabaVIPDined on 10/10/2014Since frites is in the name, it should be noted that these are of the fatter variety, tasty and very salty. We had them with a sauce that was spicy and a little sweet. Good! Pork dish was tasty, but tough to cut with given knife. My husband"s duck was good, and his knife worked on both dishes. Everything was oversalted to my taste, tho. My drink, the Amer was new to me and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereKStanbroDined on 10/9/2014I wish I could give the service more stars- I think our particular server was having an off night. The other tables seemed to be getting decent attention, but our server was mostly MIA. That's okay, the frites and cocktails more than made up for it. Even a dinner of appetizers left everyone satisfied and the prix fix menu is a great deal. We noticed a small private room with a few tables when we left and are considering having a dinner party here in the future.Special Features:
- A nonpareilOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014One of the best meals I have had in Baltimore and all without breaking the budget. Excellent service and waitstaff.Special Features:
- Was so deliciousLovegarageDined on 10/4/2014I could not have been happier with the service or the quality of food. Everything was delicious and I left happy and pleasantly full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpleasantly NoisyNYCTouristDined on 10/3/2014The food, while good, tended to be very rich. Oily and buttery are words that come to mind. The service that we got was very attentive, quick, and quite pleasant. The only real problem that we had was that -- I guess consistent with a "garage" theme -- the dining area has a bare cement floor and an exposed ceiling, which when combined with a room full of diners makes the place extremely noisy. Unpleasantly so. Like everyone else, we found ourselves speaking loudly in order to be heard. This may have been intentional, but the place has an atmosphere that is really more consistent with a sports bar than an eatery where dinner for two can easily come to over $100 without drinks and without dessert. Maybe we just missed Dogwood.Special Features:
- Over Rated Food/ServiceRepastDined on 9/27/2014Server rushed and hovered. Food was bland. Would not recommend to anyone
- NomiNomiDined on 9/27/2014Very pleasant evening of well prepared food and attentive service. The menu selections only offered two fish items(salmon & monk) and lacked a selection of lighter foods for those who would like to avoid heavy carbohydrates and sauces during our visit in late September. The salad was large and a wide variety of greens, nuts, cheese and fruit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Light-night mealBillVIPDined on 9/19/2014Food was good, service was excellent. And we wre able to go after a symphony concert, so we were seated after 10:30 p.m. on a week night. We will go again.Special Features:
- A modern French dinning placeDJbrianDined on 9/19/2014Such a interesting French menu. But with a definite chic non stuffy flair. And if a full sit down is not your thing, the frite shop up front is like in and out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kidskidzDined on 9/18/2014The food was great, including the frites. However, the noise level made it very difficult for our group of 6 to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightMedfielderDined on 9/18/2014Great little mid-week getaway woth free parking out the back. The place has a cool vibe and the meal was great. Enjoyed the little things like the music and our server bringing 2 spoons although just one if us ordered the soup (corn with oysters) which was fantastic. I'd recommend the monkfish if they still have it on the menu. Well priced good portions overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceMichaelVIPDined on 9/12/2014In section two I selected kid-friendly. Le Garage is perhaps TOO kid-friendly. Or at least it was on the night we went. I know it's a tricky rope to walk but no one asked the oblivious, overindulgent parents if they could please keep their "precious" daughter from yelling at the top of her lungs throughout our meal. No amount of evil eye could penetrate their wall of privilege. Other than that our meal was thoroughly enjoyable with service being the stand-out of the night. We will definitely return to Le Garage. We'll just scan the dining area for the imp from hell before being seated.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We had the steak frites and the seared sea scallops - both were amazing. The family mule cocktail is delicious and bottled daily in house.Special Features:
- My Birthday dinner at Le GarageVideoAntDined on 9/5/2014I love this place! The décor is fantastic, such a great change from the way this space used to look. The frites are fantastic, and I love all the sauces you can choose from. The cocktails are fantastic! The mussels were delicious.Special Features:
- Decent Neighborhood BistroZvikDined on 8/31/2014The food was very good for the most part, and the restaurant not stuffy at all and reasonably priced. Excellent fries. We ordered the day's sea food special, which was a pan-seared trout and was superbly done. The other main dish, of scallops, was too salty and disappointing. We probably should have ordered the mussels. Excellent fries. Very good soup and salad for appetizers. Excellent beers, nice desserts, very good coffee. Excellent fries. The service was very friendly, professional and helpful without being stuffy. Excellent fries. Did I mention the fries already? They're actually frites, and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be so much moreLuvfritesDined on 8/31/2014Frites are frites. These are French fries- very good fries but definitely not frites. Lemon aioli. Steak and mussels were ordinary- good but not as special as the setting, menu and overall vibe promised. The crowd at 6:30 was fascinating - lovely young women in the bar, a few older couples, two families with children (best of all, thoroughly engaged in happy conversations). Noise level at 6:30 acceptable but I suspect a bit hard on older ears after 8:30. Service would have been excellent but for one dour and mono-syllabic guy. The young woman ( very knowledgable about the menu, friendly and professional) and a charming young waiter were excellent. We enjoyed Le Garage but agreed tweaking might be usefulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014Here's a sign of spot on .. order 4 burgers, each cooked differently and all 4 of them come out exactly as ordered. Bravo! While we didn't love the frites the burgers are excellent. Other things we liked: the hip décor, the clever vintage books for wine lists and the water glasses. Our server was well versed, nice and professional and she was able to get everyone's idiosyncratic wish for done-ness perfectly .. as was the chef .. we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/26/2014Le Garage is a much better use of this space than previous occupants. Appropriate decor, great bar area. Food and drinks were all very good, especially the fries and the family mule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Hampden winnerbaltimoredinerVIPDined on 8/24/2014Le Garage is another winner in the Hampden area. This casual French bistro has delicious bar food with an interesting beer menu.Special Features:
- Amazing Scallops, Beers & FriesseemoneyDined on 8/23/2014Our waiter was highly knowledgeable - a trait you want in any reputable eating establishment - the draft beer list was exceptional and their Belgian style frites were delicious. Only down side really was the distracted and sometimes absent greeter, who let the lines stack up long enough that waiters felt compelled to step in to ameliorate. But maybe it's just because they are new, who knows. Oh also the bar staff knew their beers well, could describe them with accuracy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic new findnaptownfoodiesDined on 8/23/2014a colleague recommended this new spot in Baltimore and what a great find it is! fantastic house made cocktails, great frites with excellent sauces and wonderful tartines and small plates! we'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great frites & beerGermaninBaltimoreDined on 8/19/2014Le Garage is one of several new restaurants that have popped up in the Hampden neighborhood lately that deliver high quality food in a casual setting. As a European, I am very picky about my beer selection, but Le Garage has great choices on tap and the bartenders are very knowledgeable about the different styles. Their famous frites and sauces are excellent--our favorite being the Green Goddess, a remoulade-type sauce, but the hot bossy was just the right kind of spicy as well. My croque madame was the perfect size open-faced sandwich and the beef tartare was fresh and delicious. Great for dinner as well as late night drinks & snacks at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but too noisyCarolVIPDined on 8/19/2014Meals were good despite steaks being overly salty. Server was very attentive. The only negative was the noise. It was very difficult to have a conversation.Special Features:
- MediocreAmostcarterDined on 8/16/2014I was disappointed, although I'm not sure what my expectation was. I came for the fries, which were shown in Baltimore Magazine as the best in Baltimore. The fries were good, but not worth driving 40 minutes to get. We ordered the Steak Frites. The steak was ordered medium and came well done and dry and virtually tasteless. Even for Restaurant Week, the steak at $25 was overpriced.
- LUV2EATOUTluv2eatoutVIPDined on 8/15/2014Most likely to be voted one of the best burgers in Baltimore. The service was horrible last night, it took our waitress 15 minutes to take a drink order and then another 20 minutes to order an appetizer. Our burgers and fries were delivered WITHOUT any condiments;REALLY??? It took flagging down our waitress to get her attention to come back to the table. Not sure the quality of the burger is worth the lack of service and attitudeSpecial Features:
- What bacon shortage?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/14/2014The Bacon Tartine is perfection...who knew that an open face BLT could be so good. Paired with the refreshing Family Mule, I cannot think if a better way to enjoy frites!Special Features:
- Great meal!JohnVIPDined on 8/13/2014Wonderful new restaurant – it's been booked solid every other time I've tried to go, so I was happy to get a table. Great food. The desserts were a real standout as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great atmospheremp6283Dined on 8/10/2014Solid food (we had the steak frites and the fish) and excellent cocktails (their take on the Manhattan was particularly good). The atmosphere is dark and a bit loud. Service was good.Special Features:
- Not bad but not greatJRockDined on 8/9/2014Went during restaurant week. 3 courses for $30 (pretty standard pricing). I started with the French Onion soup which was awesome. My girlfriend and I both got the steak frites for the 2nd course which arrived really late because of a "mix up" in the kitchen. My steak was very tough and my girlfriend's was underdone. The fries were average. Desert was pot de crime which was also fair (on par with jello pudding). The waitstaff was very polite and professional and it has a cool, relaxed atmosphere. Also has an extensive beer list. All told, it was an average dining experience.Special Features:
- Stellar experienceohjulieDined on 8/9/2014Friends and I took advantage of Le Garage having a Restaurant Week menu, and we couldn't have had a better experience. From the moment we entered, we were attended to regularly and had phenomenal service from our waiter (Stephen?). One friend and I had the prix fixe menu, and it was to die for. All of the food was perfectly prepared and presented, and the price was laughably low for the quality and portions. I had the steak frites, and it was probably the best steak I've ever had. Another friend is vegetarian and dairy-free, and the veggie burger was outstanding with what looked like a beet-base rather than a run-of-the-mill black bean burger. Impeccable drinks, perfect atmosphere -- you MUST go to Le Garage!Special Features:
- Great dinnerXRFFDined on 8/8/2014It was a great experience for a dinner of two. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014Really enjoyed this. Was the second trip to Le Garage, and it was better than the first time. The frites were way better done and crispy this time. Went during restaurant week, and had great food and really attentive service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/6/2014Our server James was great - very professional and friendly. The fries were disappointing.....my frisee salad was very much "whatever." Excited to go back and try the S'mores dessert some time - have heard it's great! Seems like Le Garage is still getting into the groove of things, overall...