Le Fou Frog
400 East 5th Street
Kansas City, MO 64106Neighborhood:
Downtown / River Market
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Le Fou Frog
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lefoufrog.com/
- Phone: 8164746060x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Tuesday through Friday 4:30-6:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary French / American, French
- Executive Chef: Mano Rafael
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Le Fou Frog offers private dining on the patio, weather permitting, & semi-private dining in the restaurant. Restaurant buy-outs may be available on select nights, some restrictions apply.
A word from Le Fou Frog
An eclectic French bistro tucked away in historic river city market area in downtown Kansas City is a local favorite serving 4 star traditional & contemporary food in a fun filled atmosphere. Chef/proprietor Mano Rafael works with seasonal ingredients to create an ever-changing chalkboard menu. The vast menu selections & wine list offer many choices for varying tastes & budgets. Check out La Fou Frog's reviews from Kansas City Star, Pitch Weekly, KC Magazine, Ingram's Magazine, the New York Times, Bon Appetit, Zagat & chowhound.com!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Le Fou Frog - Best Restaurants in Downtown / River Market ›
Le Fou Frog reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (116)fit for foodies (103)romantic (93)neighborhood gem (67)notable wine list (47)great for outdoor dining (33)hot spot (21)vibrant bar scene (16)good for groups (16)late-night find (15)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (0)Show More
- Exceptional CuisineBboathouse1xDined on 10/19/2014The food that comes out of this kitchen is second to none. Le Fou Frog would hold it's own in any city or town in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningAnniversaryDinnerDined on 10/18/2014Making the reservation was easy. Our table was ready. We had a cocktail, upon recommendation by the bartender, both of which were very good. The food choices were great, as were the recommendations. The service was outstanding. There really was nothing that I would change. The whole experience feels authentically French without pretense or self-consciousness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the 11 year waitadmorganDined on 10/18/2014I first learned about Le Fou Frog upon moving here 11 years ago. It has always been a place I wanted to go, but it just never seemed to happen. I am sorry that it took so long to enjoy this wonderful restaurant. We chose to sit outside, and were the only ones out there all night. We never felt neglected by our wait staff which commonly happens in this situation. The food was excellent, but the most telling thing about our experience was that when we were done my wife asked what time it was and we discovered that we had been there two ours an neither of us could believe it.Special Features:
- Great place-unusual menuKCCoupleDined on 10/17/2014This is a wonderful place if you want something different. Food is excellent and many items are very unusual. Service is good too. It is small and will be noisy if you go on a Fri or Sat night. If you want a more quiet dinner, go on a weeknight or later in the evening on Fi or Sat-after 8-8:30 pm (but be prepared for them to be out of some items that late). There were 4 people in our group and the table we had was small for the four of us + food and drinks. This is a fun place and you should plan to spend 2-3 hours there for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceTuttofabene14Dined on 10/15/2014I do enjoy every visit to Le Fou Frog. Service is perfect and the duck is one of my favs. I was assured that Osso Bucco will be back in the menu this winter! Delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found wantingSinopionDined on 10/15/2014I went on their website to find a nice place for my wife and I to eat for our 10th year anniversary. On their site it said $30-40 per plate. What I didn't realize was this meant per plate per course. So instead of a $80-100 bill we ended up with $200 and we didn't even have any wine. This was a disappointment but I can look past that as it is not entirely their fault that I misunderstood their website. The setting left something to be desired as well. Having the bar right next to the dining area only separated by a half wall with the TV blaring and the patrons yelling over it really didn't improve the ambiance of a romantic dinner. On a bright note our server was very nice and did an excellent job and I did tip Hunter accordingly.Special Features:
- LOVED ITOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Someone gave us a gift certificate to use. We were sceptical when we drove by and looked at Menu online- The palce is quaint and low lit for the romantic. The decor was french and unique. Small candles on each table made it very warm and cozy. WOW- We were blown away by the service and the food was by far the best tasting food and prepared with the utmost care and fine details. The Mulligawtany soup was fastastic- Would highly recommend. For us this will be a special coccasion dinner place....but we were impressed and LOVED IT!Special Features:
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014I recently moved to KC from out of state. Wanted to find a nice romantic restaurant that I could take my wife to. This place did not disappoint. At first the menu was a bit overwhelming as we had never had anything remotely French before. Out waitress was great at walking us through the menu. I highly recommend this place.
- CrestwoodcharmerDined on 10/4/2014Always consistently excellent! Service is always good and the food is always prepared and plated perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable all round experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Was our first time and will definitely come again. Our server, Matt, was excellent and quite entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2014Only menu disappointment was no veal at French restaurant. Very tired décor; particularly dislike red lighting.Special Features:
- always excellentbuffalowingsDined on 9/27/2014Though I dine at Le Fou Frog infrequently it is always an excellent experience. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. the service is tremendous and personal. The food is delicious. Not once have I or anyone I was with had a meal that was un-satisfactory. This is a place to go for special occasions because it enhances those occasions. I am already looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- AlpertDined on 9/26/2014Wanted to entertain out of town guests with a unique Kansas City restaurant. Couldn't have been happier. Everyone was pleasedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alway GreatLorenzoVIPDined on 9/26/2014Always good and enjoy the neighborhood atmosphere. Food is great. Our group enjoyed having dinner out on the patio.Special Features:
- Wonderful French restaurant in KCJJreviewsDined on 9/26/2014This is a small little gem in the River market area of Kansas City. The food is exceptional, the wait staff professional and friendly and the ambiance romantic and quaint. Wonderful food from fish to chicken to beef to more exotic proteins. Great wine list and signature cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeeDeeVIPDined on 9/23/2014A great meal for everyone and wonderful ambience and a great waitress!Special Features:
- Special night outKansasBuckeyeDined on 9/23/2014Wonderful food, nice people, good wine by the glass list. Unrushed experience. Loved it!Special Features:
- Love a French bistrokelpDined on 9/23/2014Great food, wonderful ambience - always a great meal and wine at Le Fou FrogSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014This is the third time I have been there. Both times before I would have rated the restaurant as EXCELLENT. I like the atmosphere, but this time for the price the food was average at best. Steak had a lot of gristle and my rib tips a lot of fat.Special Features:
- BEST KC restaurant experience ??KCPeter49Dined on 9/20/2014My wife & I both dined on salad & appetizers on a recent Sat. PM. Food thoughtfully prepared w. impeccable service & the ambiance of wonderful small restaurant. Dinner started w. gratis amuse bouche, and ended with another gratis item...a hand-crafted, delicious dark chocolate truffle, dusted in light chocolate. In between, we both ate arugula-based salads--my wife's had lobster bits w. cherry tomatoes & creme fraiche, while mine had warm goat cheese on toast w. yummy sweet caramelized sauce. We each had Prince Edward Island steamed mussel platters w. tons of sweet/tender mussels--hers were steamed in creamy white sauce w. bay leaves while mine were steamed in spicy tomato-based stock w. garlic bits & black pepper. Truly a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being back in FranceJosephDined on 9/19/2014My partner and I had been so busy we forgot to make a reservation at our favorite restaurant for our anniversary. They made room for us on the patio, which, thanks to the weather, made for the ideal experience. Matthew took the most excellent care of us as did the rest of the Le Fou family. This place gets a 10 on all fronts-always has.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Restaurant in KCsparkplugDined on 9/19/2014The best food I have had in a long time. Two of us had the chicken - melted in your mouth and such fabulous flavor. My daughter's fiance said the scallops he had were the best he had ever had. Soups and salads outstanding. We were celebrating another couples engagement. One of my favorite champanges was at the top of the list. We had a great 3 hour meal. The only problem was the noise. Five people sitting at a rectangular table could not hear what everyone was saying. Our reservation was for 6:45 pm, so it was crowded. BUT, I will be back, with a smaller group. It had been a long time since I had been to Le Fou Frog, I will not wait very long again to return. Thank you. And all the wait staff was so friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KCLocalDined on 9/19/2014First time dining here. The food was fantastic! All servers from hostess to wait staff was very attentive. We will be back!Special Features:
- Al most all terrificneilsalkindVIPDined on 9/17/2014Many, many excellent meals here as with the current experience. The chocolate mousse used to be served in a goblet and now comes as a half dome with a choc shell. Would have been fine but the shell was too thick and tough to get through with a fork (and a knife for mousse?). Otherwise very good. Server got confused about our dish but otherwise was very attentive and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A KC Treasurejdr60Dined on 9/13/2014We went on a Saturday night and the evening could not have been better. The food was excellent, but what really makes Le Fou Frog outstanding is the ambiance and service. The staff is extremely friendly and they also provide entertainment. They sang two songs (and they were excellent) as the crowd participated, making for an extremely enjoyable evening. I think everyone should try Le Fou Frog!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time The Bestyummy2meDined on 9/5/2014Everything was absolutely delicious! Tempura shrimp was a great choice. Waiter recommended a short rib appetizer that was fabulous (and I never would have ordered it without his prompting). Now I would do it again! We have been meaning to try this restaurant for years, I only wish we would have done it sooner. But, nothing beats the first time and it was a wonderful find! We'll be back. Service was perfect, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificent!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/4/2014Absolutely fabulous! One of the best evenings ever and the food, well just simply fabulous!Special Features:
- Special experience every timeFrenchFoodLoverDined on 9/3/2014This visit was special because the food is so exquisitely prepared and the wait staff is topnotch. Our waitress was eager to make suggestions and surprised my husband with a great glass of wine. She wasn't afraid to size us up when helping us decide what to eat. We had the Coquille St. Jacques and the cheese plate for starters, both very good. We all fought over the scallops though! Our entrees were: Steak au Poivre (big piece of meat, wonderfully cooked), lemon sole with risotto (this was heaven; we all agreed), a wonderful fish dish served with goat cheese and the tail still on (can't remember the name). For dessert we had creme brulee, chocolate mousse, and profiteroles. Yum! Wish the online menu was up-to-date though.Special Features:
- Ray201Dined on 8/27/2014Took my wife for her birthday on a week night kind of early, so not many other diners there. Served by the owner/chef who had the perfect amount of interaction with us, was charming and smiled through our attempts at pronouncing menu items in american french - he even suggested splitting the steak au prouve which was more than enough for the 2 of us. We will be going back.Special Features:
- Great restaurantDeliDined on 8/24/2014Quite our favorite restaurant in Kansas City: the filet fou was not only judged delicious by my wife, but by me the next day at lunch (the portion was generous). The crown rack of lamb was also great, and I do love their Gigondas, which matched the entrees wonderfully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not enough for the $$$burbsgirlDined on 8/24/2014The price we paid for dinner did not equal the amount of enjoyment we got out of it. The air conditioner was working overtime to keep the place warm. The waiters were great and helpful but the ambiance wasn't there. We had a nice dinner but probably won't go back. There are too many other places I would try first. I'm glad I can say I've been there now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always excellentislandgirlDined on 8/23/2014We've dined with Le Fou Frog a couple of times now, on special occasions. Every time, both the food and the service are outstanding. We first came to Le Fou Frog on the recommendation of a friend and it is one of our favorite places to go. If you're looking for cheap, this is not the place for you; however, if you want excellent food and service, you'll fin it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!BirkieDined on 8/22/2014You MUST eat here when in Kansas City. FOOD, SERVICE, WINE, DESSERTS are beyond exceptional!Special Features:
- Simply Extraordinary!gpatDined on 8/22/2014The experience was the most exuberant and authentic of any French restaurant I have had in the U.S. It is not quiet but the level of conversation by the guests and the wonderful service and entertainment by the staff made me want to stay and just soak in the good time and the absolutely wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, as usualWendiDined on 8/22/2014Every time I dine at Le Fou Frog the food is amazing and the service is fun and attentive. It's an upscale restaurant with a laid back, casual feel; not stuffy at all. Escargot is amazing, lobster bisque is to die for, and the french fries are the best if have ever had in my life! Great for a special occasion or just a night out with friends. I highly recommend!!Special Features:
- My Favorite PlaceBobandpegDined on 8/21/2014Step inside and enjoy an evening of casual French atmosphere and the best food available in the Kansas City area. I've never been disappointed. Always an ever changing menu with fabulous culinary delights. Chef Mono and his entire staff are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic EveningCarlDined on 8/19/2014I took my fiancé here for her birthday and wasn't let down. I had chosen this place based on reviews and word of mouth from a few people. The staff was excellent, and our waitress was especially helpful with anything that we needed. The food was delicious and the ambience was superb. I would highly recommend anybody to come and enjoy a great evening. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tres moyennelive2eatVIPDined on 8/19/2014not notable wine list. Not sure what has happened at Le Fou, but food was average. Out of one bottle of white wine on the voluminous 3 white wines by the bottle list, so we ordered the house wine, of which they were also out. 5 cheese platter became a 4 cheese platter (only had 4 cheeses). However, if you want to go to a French restaurant that has a very limited selection of wine and cheeses and not looking for great food, the service was very good at Le Fou.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014This was my first time dining here and what a treat! I will definetly come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem for romantic diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014The atmosphere is quaint, romantic and inviting whether you are inside or outside on the patio. The food is exquisite and provides such pleasure to the mouth! We have dined alone and with other couples and have never been disappointed. The wait staff is pleasant and knowledgeable of the menu. Food delivery from appetizers to dessert is perfectly timed. Dishes are cleared and glasses refilled without interruption. I would highly recommend this hidden gem to anyone adventurous in food tasting and the even the pickiest of eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.