Le Fou Frog
400 East 5th Street
Kansas City, MO 64106Neighborhood:
Downtown / River Market
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Le Fou Frog
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lefoufrog.com/
- Phone: 8164746060x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Tuesday through Friday 4:30-6:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary French / American, French
- Executive Chef: Mano Rafael
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Le Fou Frog offers private dining on the patio, weather permitting, & semi-private dining in the restaurant. Restaurant buy-outs may be available on select nights, some restrictions apply.
A word from Le Fou Frog
An eclectic French bistro tucked away in historic river city market area in downtown Kansas City is a local favorite serving 4 star traditional & contemporary food in a fun filled atmosphere. Chef/proprietor Mano Rafael works with seasonal ingredients to create an ever-changing chalkboard menu. The vast menu selections & wine list offer many choices for varying tastes & budgets. Check out La Fou Frog's reviews from Kansas City Star, Pitch Weekly, KC Magazine, Ingram's Magazine, the New York Times, Bon Appetit, Zagat & chowhound.com!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Le Fou Frog - Best Restaurants in Downtown / River Market ›
Le Fou Frog reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (124)fit for foodies (111)romantic (107)neighborhood gem (75)notable wine list (53)great for outdoor dining (37)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (19)good for groups (15)late-night find (13)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (0)Show More
- always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Though I dine at Le Fou Frog infrequently it is always an excellent experience. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. the service is tremendous and personal. The food is delicious. Not once have I or anyone I was with had a meal that was un-satisfactory. This is a place to go for special occasions because it enhances those occasions. I am already looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- AlpertDined on 9/26/2014Wanted to entertain out of town guests with a unique Kansas City restaurant. Couldn't have been happier. Everyone was pleasedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alway GreatLorenzoVIPDined on 9/26/2014Always good and enjoy the neighborhood atmosphere. Food is great. Our group enjoyed having dinner out on the patio.Special Features:
- Wonderful French restaurant in KCJJreviewsDined on 9/26/2014This is a small little gem in the River market area of Kansas City. The food is exceptional, the wait staff professional and friendly and the ambiance romantic and quaint. Wonderful food from fish to chicken to beef to more exotic proteins. Great wine list and signature cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeeDeeVIPDined on 9/23/2014A great meal for everyone and wonderful ambience and a great waitress!Special Features:
- Special night outKansasBuckeyeDined on 9/23/2014Wonderful food, nice people, good wine by the glass list. Unrushed experience. Loved it!Special Features:
- Love a French bistrokelpDined on 9/23/2014Great food, wonderful ambience - always a great meal and wine at Le Fou FrogSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014This is the third time I have been there. Both times before I would have rated the restaurant as EXCELLENT. I like the atmosphere, but this time for the price the food was average at best. Steak had a lot of gristle and my rib tips a lot of fat.Special Features:
- BEST KC restaurant experience ??KCPeter49Dined on 9/20/2014My wife & I both dined on salad & appetizers on a recent Sat. PM. Food thoughtfully prepared w. impeccable service & the ambiance of wonderful small restaurant. Dinner started w. gratis amuse bouche, and ended with another gratis item...a hand-crafted, delicious dark chocolate truffle, dusted in light chocolate. In between, we both ate arugula-based salads--my wife's had lobster bits w. cherry tomatoes & creme fraiche, while mine had warm goat cheese on toast w. yummy sweet caramelized sauce. We each had Prince Edward Island steamed mussel platters w. tons of sweet/tender mussels--hers were steamed in creamy white sauce w. bay leaves while mine were steamed in spicy tomato-based stock w. garlic bits & black pepper. Truly a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being back in FranceJosephDined on 9/19/2014My partner and I had been so busy we forgot to make a reservation at our favorite restaurant for our anniversary. They made room for us on the patio, which, thanks to the weather, made for the ideal experience. Matthew took the most excellent care of us as did the rest of the Le Fou family. This place gets a 10 on all fronts-always has.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Restaurant in KCsparkplugDined on 9/19/2014The best food I have had in a long time. Two of us had the chicken - melted in your mouth and such fabulous flavor. My daughter's fiance said the scallops he had were the best he had ever had. Soups and salads outstanding. We were celebrating another couples engagement. One of my favorite champanges was at the top of the list. We had a great 3 hour meal. The only problem was the noise. Five people sitting at a rectangular table could not hear what everyone was saying. Our reservation was for 6:45 pm, so it was crowded. BUT, I will be back, with a smaller group. It had been a long time since I had been to Le Fou Frog, I will not wait very long again to return. Thank you. And all the wait staff was so friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KCLocalDined on 9/19/2014First time dining here. The food was fantastic! All servers from hostess to wait staff was very attentive. We will be back!Special Features:
- Al most all terrificneilsalkindVIPDined on 9/17/2014Many, many excellent meals here as with the current experience. The chocolate mousse used to be served in a goblet and now comes as a half dome with a choc shell. Would have been fine but the shell was too thick and tough to get through with a fork (and a knife for mousse?). Otherwise very good. Server got confused about our dish but otherwise was very attentive and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A KC Treasurejdr60Dined on 9/13/2014We went on a Saturday night and the evening could not have been better. The food was excellent, but what really makes Le Fou Frog outstanding is the ambiance and service. The staff is extremely friendly and they also provide entertainment. They sang two songs (and they were excellent) as the crowd participated, making for an extremely enjoyable evening. I think everyone should try Le Fou Frog!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time The Bestyummy2meDined on 9/5/2014Everything was absolutely delicious! Tempura shrimp was a great choice. Waiter recommended a short rib appetizer that was fabulous (and I never would have ordered it without his prompting). Now I would do it again! We have been meaning to try this restaurant for years, I only wish we would have done it sooner. But, nothing beats the first time and it was a wonderful find! We'll be back. Service was perfect, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificent!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/4/2014Absolutely fabulous! One of the best evenings ever and the food, well just simply fabulous!Special Features:
- Special experience every timeFrenchFoodLoverDined on 9/3/2014This visit was special because the food is so exquisitely prepared and the wait staff is topnotch. Our waitress was eager to make suggestions and surprised my husband with a great glass of wine. She wasn't afraid to size us up when helping us decide what to eat. We had the Coquille St. Jacques and the cheese plate for starters, both very good. We all fought over the scallops though! Our entrees were: Steak au Poivre (big piece of meat, wonderfully cooked), lemon sole with risotto (this was heaven; we all agreed), a wonderful fish dish served with goat cheese and the tail still on (can't remember the name). For dessert we had creme brulee, chocolate mousse, and profiteroles. Yum! Wish the online menu was up-to-date though.Special Features:
- Ray201Dined on 8/27/2014Took my wife for her birthday on a week night kind of early, so not many other diners there. Served by the owner/chef who had the perfect amount of interaction with us, was charming and smiled through our attempts at pronouncing menu items in american french - he even suggested splitting the steak au prouve which was more than enough for the 2 of us. We will be going back.Special Features:
- Great restaurantDeliDined on 8/24/2014Quite our favorite restaurant in Kansas City: the filet fou was not only judged delicious by my wife, but by me the next day at lunch (the portion was generous). The crown rack of lamb was also great, and I do love their Gigondas, which matched the entrees wonderfully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not enough for the $$$burbsgirlDined on 8/24/2014The price we paid for dinner did not equal the amount of enjoyment we got out of it. The air conditioner was working overtime to keep the place warm. The waiters were great and helpful but the ambiance wasn't there. We had a nice dinner but probably won't go back. There are too many other places I would try first. I'm glad I can say I've been there now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always excellentislandgirlDined on 8/23/2014We've dined with Le Fou Frog a couple of times now, on special occasions. Every time, both the food and the service are outstanding. We first came to Le Fou Frog on the recommendation of a friend and it is one of our favorite places to go. If you're looking for cheap, this is not the place for you; however, if you want excellent food and service, you'll fin it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!BirkieDined on 8/22/2014You MUST eat here when in Kansas City. FOOD, SERVICE, WINE, DESSERTS are beyond exceptional!Special Features:
- Simply Extraordinary!gpatDined on 8/22/2014The experience was the most exuberant and authentic of any French restaurant I have had in the U.S. It is not quiet but the level of conversation by the guests and the wonderful service and entertainment by the staff made me want to stay and just soak in the good time and the absolutely wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, as usualWendiDined on 8/22/2014Every time I dine at Le Fou Frog the food is amazing and the service is fun and attentive. It's an upscale restaurant with a laid back, casual feel; not stuffy at all. Escargot is amazing, lobster bisque is to die for, and the french fries are the best if have ever had in my life! Great for a special occasion or just a night out with friends. I highly recommend!!Special Features:
- My Favorite PlaceBobandpegDined on 8/21/2014Step inside and enjoy an evening of casual French atmosphere and the best food available in the Kansas City area. I've never been disappointed. Always an ever changing menu with fabulous culinary delights. Chef Mono and his entire staff are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic EveningCarlDined on 8/19/2014I took my fiancé here for her birthday and wasn't let down. I had chosen this place based on reviews and word of mouth from a few people. The staff was excellent, and our waitress was especially helpful with anything that we needed. The food was delicious and the ambience was superb. I would highly recommend anybody to come and enjoy a great evening. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tres moyennelive2eatVIPDined on 8/19/2014not notable wine list. Not sure what has happened at Le Fou, but food was average. Out of one bottle of white wine on the voluminous 3 white wines by the bottle list, so we ordered the house wine, of which they were also out. 5 cheese platter became a 4 cheese platter (only had 4 cheeses). However, if you want to go to a French restaurant that has a very limited selection of wine and cheeses and not looking for great food, the service was very good at Le Fou.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014This was my first time dining here and what a treat! I will definetly come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem for romantic diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014The atmosphere is quaint, romantic and inviting whether you are inside or outside on the patio. The food is exquisite and provides such pleasure to the mouth! We have dined alone and with other couples and have never been disappointed. The wait staff is pleasant and knowledgeable of the menu. Food delivery from appetizers to dessert is perfectly timed. Dishes are cleared and glasses refilled without interruption. I would highly recommend this hidden gem to anyone adventurous in food tasting and the even the pickiest of eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Fou FrogOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We chose the restaurant for our anniversary to join a couple of friends for a nice dinner, we were not disappointed!!! Food was excellent, wait staff was attentive and the overall time was great. Will be coming back for more...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Fou FrogChrisNLizDined on 8/12/2014The Frog is one of my favorites in town. Never even a moderate meal, always outstanding! I could fill this with superlatives of the food and wait staff. We go here several times a year and when one or all of our daughters are in town. They are all three huge foodies. This is an evening not to be missed.Special Features:
- The Best!DarikDined on 8/9/2014Took some friends to dinner for my birthday. We have never been disappointed at Le Fou Frog, and were not disappointed this time. Enjoy the reasonable wine selections, and the mean was fabulous. Keep up the good work, and we look forward to dining with you soon!Special Features:
- Memorable Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014My wife and I had the pleasure of dining at Le Fou Frog on our first wedding anniversary last year. We decided we enjoyed it so much that we had to come back for our second anniversary. Once again, Le Fou exceeds all of our expectations. There menu includes a wide variety of interesting menu choices. The escargot appetizer was once again one of the most enjoyable parts of the night. The staff really make you feel that they are excited you chose to dine with them and in turn you feel excited as well. I always feel like I am someone special when I dine at Le Fou Frog.Special Features:
- Our favorite place in KCKCToadDined on 8/2/2014Impecable service and food. Always, perfection! Once entering the unassuming establishment you feel you have been transported to another place.Special Features:
- Romance definedCharlestonBrideVIPDined on 7/30/2014We sat on the patio at sunset and enjoyed the ambiance and lighting! Fantastic food and wonderfully attentive and knowledgable service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!PatrickkcVIPDined on 7/26/2014It was very exciting to celebrate a family victory with my mom here this past Saturday! Out service was amazing, as Ashley suggested our entrees which were too notch, it truly made my mother and myselfs weekend unforgettable! I can't wait to take more family and friends to this gem in the city market! Wonderful place with great wine, great staff and colorful interior! 6 stars!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticDatenightDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I don't have the chance to get out very often with 3 kids at home, so we picked a place we normally wouldn't have the chance to go to. We were far from disappointed. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable on the menu and have amazing singing voices! The drinks and food are well worth the pretty penny they cost. Each course was absolutely fantastic. It was the best meal I think we've ever had. The atmosphere of the restaurant added to the entire experience and we walked away with very full stomachs and hearts. Couldn't be happier with the night and our choice of restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so amazing!OPKSDined on 7/26/2014We were really awed by Le Fou Frog. Heard about it for years and finally made it for dinner. And were we impressed! The food was simply perfect, each item, from start to finish. Service was friendly, not overbearing, nice pacing. Not a fussy place, just the right mix of classy and casual. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was excellent. ll come backSmicmanDined on 7/22/2014I've had a better meal at the frog. This one was just "ok". Had the crab. Noise level was horrible. Loud drunk group sitting behind us. Service was excellent. Not sure we will come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had the most funhe best foodsAwardsDined on 7/19/2014We had the most fun with your engGming staff and had some if the best food Location was not pretty and courtyard was ugly but after our warm welcome and great fun!! service, we loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.