1601 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lediplomatedc.com/
- Phone: 2023323333x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Tuesday 5:00PM to 10:00PM
Wednesday & Thursday 5:00PM to 11:00PM
Friday & Saturday 5:00PM to 12:00AM
Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10:00AM to 3:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Michael Abt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Le Diplomate
Stephen Starr brings his signature brand of hospitality and design to the nation’s capital with the opening of Le Diplomate, located at 14th & Q. Serving lunch, brunch and dinner, the stylish 260 seat restaurant transports diners to the beloved cafés of Boulevard Saint-Germain in Paris. The extensive menu features a variety of classic dishes including Onion Soup Gratinee, Steak Frites, and Poulet Roti as well as contemporary bistro fare, with dishes such as Shaved Veal Tongue with Mache and Bavette de Boeuf à l’Echalote. A thoughtfully curated wine list and cocktail program perfectly complements the cuisine and creates an environment suitable for romantic dinners or lively group gatherings. In warmer weather, enjoy dining "en plein air" in the stunning outdoor café where you can take in the bustling energy of DC while sipping on the perfect kir royale.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Le Diplomate - Best Restaurants in Logan Circle ›
Le Diplomate reviews from OpenTable diners
1217 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (759)special occasion (673)great for outdoor dining (650)neighborhood gem (615)hot spot (582)great for brunch (490)romantic (395)notable wine list (381)vibrant bar scene (271)good for groups (241)great for lunch (165)late-night find (117)kid-friendly (68)scenic view (46)Show More
- True to the reviews...and more!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Everything I had read in the Washington Post review as well as the June issue of The Washingtonian ("Washington's 25 Best Burgers") about Le Diplomate was absolutely true! The wait staff was attentive and hospitable; the bread was absolutely fabulous; everything I ordered was so well prepared, presented and delicious that I would recommend them all: burger amèricain, pommes frites, sautèed spinach, and apple tarte tatin. You also bring a wonderful ambience to the neighborhood. Merci beaucoup!Special Features:
- Really, really good foodAmyHDined on 8/24/2014This restaurant really knows how to cook. My meal was very tasty and very enjoyable. Although our waiter did not pay much attention to our special requests, our food was served hot and timely. We never felt rushed while dining. Don't forget t enjoy the bread basket before your meal. Very enjoyable dining experience!Special Features:
- Cherish202Dined on 8/24/2014My husband declared that this is his new favorite DC restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfied Foodie!MaryAngelaChiDined on 8/23/2014I was looking for a restaurant that served french cuisine and was referred to Le Diplomate by some coworkers. It did not disappoint! I love the busy and energetic atmosphere of this restaurant. We ordered Macaroni Au Gratin and Foie Gras Parfait for appetizers, Steak Frites and Beef Bourguignon for entrées, and Apple Tarte Tatin for desert. All the food came out in a nice presentation and tasted delicious! The flavors were incredible and satisfied my craving for French food. Our waiter was so attentive and his service exceeded my expectations. I can't wait to go back and try something new!Special Features:
- good but...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014They took too much time between one course and the second until we remind them. But they had a nice gesture sending us desserts to apologize.Special Features:
- Consistently DelightfulotberburVIPDined on 8/23/2014We treated some friends to dinner at La Diplomate to thank them for a favor they had provided. It was a wise choice. Everyone enjoyed their food. My warm shrimp salad had properly dressed greens and some of the best tasting shrimp I've had in several years. The fries in my steak frites were exceptional, although the steak itself, while properly prepared, could have had more flavor. A lemon tart provided a pleasant ending and the bread basket, as in previous visits, was first rate. Service was courteous and timely without being hovering or overbearing. And, as usual, the dining area was quite noisy.
- Classy but not stuffy...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014We got a table late afternoon for our anniversary brunch. The service (Doug, our waiter), food (duck and beef bourguignon) and wine suggestion (2000 Bordeaux) were exceptional. This was our first time eating here and it will bring us back, for sure. The only reason the ambience doesn't get a 5 star is we were sat near the opening of the patio where it was steadily raining. There were other seats available that could have kept us from getting sprayed. Other than that, we thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this gem on 14th.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!terryDined on 8/23/2014We had a late Saturday lunch outside on the patio. Great atmosphere and loved the warm shrimp salad.Special Features:
- WarsawVIPDined on 8/22/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the ambience, service and food. Would recommend the restaurant to anyone. Matthias Boenke, manager, was pleasant and enjoyable to talk to.Special Features:
- wonderful timegoravensDined on 8/22/2014Our group of four spent 4 hours enjoying the atmosphere and ability to talk and enjoy good wine and cheese. The starters and mains were very good. Not big portions but good quality. Absolutely need reservations well in advance. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- wonderful!aemsDined on 8/21/2014Server was amazing. Great knowledge of cheese/wine and pairing knowledge!Special Features:
- Several highs and a lowOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/21/2014Service and ambiance was terrific. Lively but not too noisy. We were seated relatively quickly given that we arrived early for our reservation and the food and wine was delivered to the table quickly (as compared to other "busy/lively" restaurants we've patronized. The only low points were with the food - especially the Dover sole which was the special for the evening but was oversalted. All in all, we still enjoyed our dinner but would have had a better experience if the food met our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overhyped-Try Rose's Luxury Insteadio10VIPDined on 8/20/2014We shared a bottle of wine and the ravioli appetizer; I ordered the moules frites, and my friend had the warm farro salad. Our food was perfectly fine, but the moules were rather flavorless despite the warm buttery aroma of the broth. My friend's salad was similarly lackluster, and the ravioli was something I could easily buy at a store and make at home in under ten minutes. It was incredibly loud and hard to hear ourselves talk. The service was very good but didn't make up for the boring food. We were not wowed, and the meal was certainly not worth the over $100 we spent. My advice: Skip Le Diplomate and go to Rose's Luxury for your special occasions.
- Superb resturant experienceBobADined on 8/20/2014Got back from Paris a month ago and felt like we had returned for the evening! Only difficulty was the menu -- so many fantastic choices! We will just have to plan many more visits! Excellent wine list and terrific service rounded out a very pleasant evening.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner with friendsAnnFDined on 8/20/2014There's a reason everyone is taking about Le Diplomate. I came here for a celebratory dinner with two good friends. It was the perfect spot! To start, we wanted wine but weren't sure what to order . Our wonderful waitress sent over their sommelier, who helped us select a delicious white wine (when we ordered the one he recommended, he thanked us for taking his recommendation!). To start, I split the warm shrimp salad with my friend--the waitress knew we were splitting so she had it served on two dishes! It was incredible. The Moules Frites entree was wonderful as well. When it came time for dessert, there was no splitting--we each had to try one of their desserts. Wonderful meal!Special Features:
- janayeatsDined on 8/20/2014Sorry but this time the food was disappointing. It took forever for our order to arrive and when it did, my and my daughter's scallops were cold. My husband had the chicken and said it was devoid of flavor. The previous time we visited, the food knocked our socks off. Not sure what happened! No worries. We love Steven Star restaurants and will be back. Hopefully, it was just an off night.Special Features:
- LOVE LOVEdcjeepVIPDined on 8/19/2014I have been here at least 20 times and every time it is AMAZING!!!! I get the Moules Frites most of the time and they are DELICIOUS!!! Outside sitting is the best because I am able to bring my dog. He loves the pommes frites. A must go to in DC !!!!!Special Features:
- Great As Usual, Except...rtesmerVIPDined on 8/19/2014Love Le Diplomate! CAnt always get a table when you want one, but once you do the experience is always a great one. My latest visit was just a table for one, not fun, but dining here helps to make up for that. From the drinks, to the shrimp cocktail to the beef bourguigon, all was fantastic. The ONLY issue I had, and its really a fairly minor one to be honest - was my table placement. I had a table (for one) right next to a divider that the staff uses to go into and out of the kitchen (I presume). Some staff seem to like to knock on that divider. When you are sitting right there, getting a knock can be a bit disconcerting! It didn't happen often, just enough to be memorable in the wrong way. Won't keep me from coming back!Special Features:
- Dinner againOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/19/2014Great dinner once again. Very good service and relaxed atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Lives up to its reputationetrumanDined on 8/19/2014The attentive, friendly service, atmosphere and food make this the DC hot spot it is. I have skate whenever I see it on a menu, and Le Diplomate's was excellent. The bread basket, alone, is worth a return trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Transports you to to FranceDiningindcDined on 8/18/2014Great food at the expense of hearing what your table is saying. Great ambiance at the expense of... well, expense. Great service, if you can hear the staff. The manager comes by to personally assure your dining happily. Knowing what to order is the most important part.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oops, they did it again!Franck6VIPDined on 8/18/2014I go to Le Dip probably more often than I can afford. I keep returning to encounter an indifferent waiter or stale bread and I have yet to experience them. My visit last Monday was an amazing experience with our server whose name I don't know as I was treated, was amazingly gracious, professional and tireless with our unending questions as anyone could be. Erik the sommelier found us THE perfect bottle of wine to accompany our steaks au poivre - which were cooked to perfection and will I ever tire of the parfait? All in a setting that brings you right back to France - no expense was spared in the attention to detail down to the lace curtains. Plus you're there before you even enter the place as anyone who has seen the façade can attest!Special Features:
- PerfectCCanoVIPDined on 8/18/2014Le Diplomate is truly one of the best restaurants in the city- I have a great time and and even more amazing meal every time i go. Nabil was great and gave us great recommendations, had me try to some thing I had missed before!Special Features:
- great spotbarnVIPDined on 8/17/2014Third time dining and never disappointed. Great food, fantastic service. Outside is the place to be, as it is quite noisy inside, but otherwise, one of our favorites. I have had less quality dinners in Paris! Often a celebrity bonus like sitting across from the Veep last time. Outstanding restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to the HypeBrunchAddictDined on 8/17/2014I'd heard a lot of great things about Le Diplomate, and so was surprised when the restaurant surpassed every expectation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentfredinlbDined on 8/17/2014This was one the finest dining experiences. Our table was ready and the hostest was very pleasant. Our water was very knowledgable and made our evening very special. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!yaytevasVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food was outstanding; we ordered moules frites, steak frites, chicken marengo, and trout almandine. I ordered the heirloom tomato salad. I did not know I could be blown away by tomato salad! The cheese plate accompaniments almost outshined the cheese! The lovely honey, marcona almonds, and port-soaked raisins were amazing. The raison/nut bread in the bread basket was my favorite of the three but I liked all the bread. The atmosphere was great (it didn't hurt that it was a perfect Sunday evening). Our server was very informative and friendly, and the noise level was perfect -- my friends and I could converse easily but didn't have to worry about our neighbors listening to our crazy musings.Special Features:
- AndyParis18Dined on 8/17/2014We had a wonderful lunch . There was a Parisian atmosphere that remind me "chez Julien" in Paris !!! It was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NikiBooVIPDined on 8/17/2014Dutch was our waiter and he's EXCELLENT! I will always request to sit in his section whenever I dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BrunchErinDined on 8/17/2014After having a poor dinner experience - the duck everyone ordered was dry - brunch quickly redeemed Le Diplomate. The breakfast pastries basket was delicious and overflowing. We never reached the bottom of our coffee cups thanks to our awesome server. All in my party ordered egg dishes - each was filling and delicious. I will definitely be back for brunch!Special Features:
- my favourite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014The food is superb. The staff are better than anywhere perhaps in the world. There is no haughtiness from any of the lovely hostesses - they are funny and incredibly talented at running the hottest spot in town. Erik, the sommelier, is remarkably skilled at his craft, and also warm and kind and approachable, even for those who feel intimidated by wine. It is lively and loud, like a proper spot in Montmartre, so if you want quiet and minimalist, this is not your spot. But if you want to feel alive, come here and savour all that makes the world beautiful and exciting - spectacular food, expertly selected wine, craft cocktails, the best bread and dessert, and some first class people watching.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a wonderful meal outstanding salads, the chicken was very special ,the menu is very diverse and offers something for everyone. Everyone in our party thoroughly enjoyed their dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014With much hype about this place I expected a let down, but it did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Maureeninvirginia1VIPDined on 8/16/2014Great French restaurant! Very authentic! Definitely will come again!Special Features:
- What's left to say?BuckerVIPDined on 8/16/2014I love the food, the service, and the ambience at Le Dip. One of those rare places where you expect that everything will be first-class and are never disappointed. One of my favorite places in the District. And one where "hospitality" is the order of the day. And amazing at how well everything is choreographed in a restaurant with (I'm told) around 250 seats. Absolutely superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy Le Diplomateklm4463Dined on 8/16/2014Great food, great service, friendly staff - all in a vibrant neighborhood. You won't be sorry you went.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fave Brunch SpotCheeseIsMyOneTrueLoveDined on 8/16/2014I'll confess, I don't often go to brunch because eggs and pancakes are pretty easy to pull off, but hot damn, Le Diplomate knows how to make an omelet. Ive been here twice for brunch in the past month and a half and have gotten the same thing- the gruyere omelet. This omelet is the constancy of a cloud. I usually am heavy handed with herbs when I cook, but Le Diplomat only puts enough in to titillate the senses while keeping the flavors of this scrumptious roll of love light but delicious. The potatoes that come with the omelet are also fantastic- the caramelized onions take them to the next level! Finally, the coffee is excellent. I like my coffee black, and this stuff is tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Making basic dishes extraordinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/15/2014I was with a group, late night, and we were sharing dishes. I hate macaroni and cheese. The macaroni and cheese at Le Diplomate (pasta in béchamel sauce actually) was fantastic. I am not a big fan of lamb, other than Rack of Lamb at 1789 or Ris. The lamb was outrageous. Le Diplomate has a way of making basic dishes extraordinary.Special Features:
- Exceptional food service atmosphereSumertimeVIPDined on 8/15/2014The title about says it all. Had the beef bourguignon, and tested my girlfriend's scallops, both delicious. Started with the escargot, and foie gras, both delicious. Cocktails, beer, and wine, all great. And the service was on point. The ambiance and decor are like you're sitting in a restaurant in Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Bit of Paris on 14th StreetOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Third time for dinner here and continues to excel at exuding the Parisian bistro feel. Food is excellent - mushroom tart still amazes; breads are wonderful, especially the fruit and nut; beef bourguignon and steak frites tender; apple tarte tatin a delightful way to end the meal. Service has returned to its original excellent self. Appreciate the very fair corkage policy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.