1601 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lediplomatedc.com/
- Phone: (202) 332-3333
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Tuesday 5:00PM to 10:00PM
Wednesday & Thursday 5:00PM to 11:00PM
Friday & Saturday 5:00PM to 12:00AM
Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10:00AM to 3:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Michael Abt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Le Diplomate
Stephen Starr brings his signature brand of hospitality and design to the nation’s capital with the opening of Le Diplomate, located at 14th & Q. Serving lunch, brunch and dinner, the stylish 260 seat restaurant transports diners to the beloved cafés of Boulevard Saint-Germain in Paris. The extensive menu features a variety of classic dishes including Onion Soup Gratinee, Steak Frites, and Poulet Roti as well as contemporary bistro fare, with dishes such as Shaved Veal Tongue with Mache and Bavette de Boeuf à l’Echalote. A thoughtfully curated wine list and cocktail program perfectly complements the cuisine and creates an environment suitable for romantic dinners or lively group gatherings. In warmer weather, enjoy dining "en plein air" in the stunning outdoor café where you can take in the bustling energy of DC while sipping on the perfect kir royale.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Le Diplomate - Best Restaurants in Logan Circle ›
Le Diplomate reviews from OpenTable diners
1169 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (774)hot spot (595)neighborhood gem (584)special occasion (574)great for outdoor dining (535)great for brunch (410)notable wine list (369)romantic (310)good for groups (254)vibrant bar scene (244)great for lunch (154)late-night find (85)kid-friendly (50)scenic view (23)Show More
- Excellent service!foodieVIPDined on 11/17/2014Staff including the manager came by several times to check on the table. I was delighted with the excellent service I received which added to the fantastic food! Definitely a hot spot and will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not for wine-loverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014Although the wine list covers all-round of wines, it doesn't look like wines were served for us to enjoy them (small glasses for red wine, rough way of pouring). Besides, we did not feel comfortable, when we were urged to order the next dishes repeatedly before finishing the wine that fits the dish.Special Features:
- Great food poor serviceJandRSVIPDined on 11/16/2014some of the best food we've ever had. Our server was horrid. Would love to have made this a five star and would have but the service just killed it. The people assisting the server were the only saving grace they were fantastic..if not for them we would have been in trouble. We will go back but just hope that we don't have the same server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected moreNinaDined on 11/16/2014I expected much more from the restaurant based on write-ups and comments from friends. The food was good, but no wow factor. There was nothing really striking on the menu which made me feel somewhat disappointed. That being said my appetizer (frommage de tete) and dessert (chocolate Napolitaine) where excellent. Not so my husband's choices. The service was very good; the place is very popular so quite noisy; the price is reasonable for the type of fare.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but Noisy PlaceGreatVIPDined on 11/16/2014We tried Le Diplomate to meet local friends mainly because of the great reviews and the availability pf their valet parking option. but we should have just picked it for its great food, great wines and great service (we had Meghan), It is quite noisy especially at the bar where we waited after arriving early, but once we were seated we had a splendid meal and despite the bar noise had good conversational ability. If we lived here, we would probably be a regular (but I am glad I don;t live here).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty French food with excellent service.foodynoshoesDined on 11/16/2014I highly recommend the fluke ceviche. The flavor was fantastic. The ambiance is great for small groups or a date. Do not expect to get a table soon without a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014We came early, around 945 had prime seating options and the service was so fast I was very surprised. The crowd and noise level picked up quickly as brunchers came in. We sat on the outside terrace which got a little crowded fast but overall it was a great experience with very quick and prompt service. Not to mention the food was very fresh and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but greatKclaytonDined on 11/15/2014Brasserie classics done to perfection - it is crowded and loud, but the food and service are worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our best DC dining experiences!MarylandCrabDined on 11/15/2014We had high expectations going into dinner and they delivered on every note. Started with some tasty oysters, and moved right in the radishes with herb butter/ravioli's. Both incredible. For main we had the beef and skate. The BEEF BOURGUIGNON was probably one of the most delicious things I have ever put in my mouth. The skate was ok. Finish everything off with a nice dry Bordeaux. Incredible evening with incredible service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Slice of ParisOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Craving duck? Steak frites? Crème brûlée made from scratch? Make a reservation—but do it well in advance of when you want to dine. The place is, understandably, very popular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our visitHSMITHDined on 11/15/2014We were in DC last just before Le Diplomate opened and were anxious to try it on our return. It did not disappoint! The restaurant is beautiful and definitely imparts a French feel. We were seated immediately and service was efficient but not overbearing. The bread basket was delicious. Coffee and capuccino both very good. I had the poached eggs basquaise and husband had duck sarladaises. Both were excellent. I could've eaten a whole bowl of the polenta in my dish alone! The duck confit in my husband's dish was so good. We ended with profiteroles---we haven't been to Parc in Philly but have always heard folks at home there raving about them. They weren't kidding. The profiteroles were absolutely delicious and the perfect size to share and end the meal. We would definitely return on a future trip to DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super BrunchSeaSaltDined on 11/15/2014Our third time at the restaurant and just keeps getting better. Even though the restaurant was extremely busy upon arrival for our Saturday Noon reservation, we were immediately whisked to our perfect table. Our two guests hadn't arrived yet however our waiter made it clear that there was no rush at all. Wonderful service and our waiter adapted well to one of our loved friends that is also a very finicky yet experienced cook and global diner! We had been for two dinners however Brunch was particularly fun with a menu perfectly balanced for customers that would like a mid day meal with a choice of breakfast, lunch, or dinner. for instance, My wife had a perfectly made omelette (an Omelette that we thought only the French know how to prepare), one of our guests had a super egg dish with polenta and prosciutto, and I had trout almandine! All washed down with an excellent yet well priced Chateauneuf du Pape recommended by our waiter. What an excellent Saturday it made for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than meets the eyeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014The frenetic level of activity in this packed restaurant belied the level of service and dining quality that awaited us at Le Diplomate. Our server Karla did a great job guiding us through the menu after we informed her it was our first visit, and she paced our meal perfectly when she was informed we had time for a leisurely dinner. Since so many have commented on the food, I'll only add that every dish we had was well-prepared, delicious, and served at the appropriate temperature. Brief highlights included the radish crudite, the star of which was the butter. The butter had a beautiful aroma and a nicely sour taste (truffle salt?). The beef bourguignon was magnificent, featuring fork tender beef in a deeply flavored, perfectly seasoned sauce, as well as roasted root vegetables, lardons, and buttery potato puree. Finally, the creme brulee was perfect, and enough for two to three people. As a side note, I was thrilled and amazed to land a same-day reservation, so don't give up. The wait on a Friday evening looked long, and some people even chose to eat outside in the uncovered portion of the patio. Amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2014We dined with another couple and for both of us it was our 45th wedding anniversary. Host was aware, made a fuss over us and seated us at a relatively quiet table next to the windows on 14th Street away from the bar. Complimentary champagne came to our table but I wish he had told us that before we ordered drinks. Green salad was a beautiful presentation, with small green beans and a light vinaigrette. Men had the mushroom soup which was very flavorful but we all thought was too salty. Dover sole was perfectly cooked, scallops were served with interesting mix of cauliflower and apples. Steak au poivre got high marks as did the beef bourguignon. all in all we had a great evening, but this is not an intimate restaurant, rather a riff on a classy French bistro with terrific food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Excellent. Great cocktails. Too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/12/2014The food was outstanding. Plus, we have finally found a place that mix a great cocktail. Many places can do an adequate job, but these were special. The service was excellent. The servers really know the food, the preparation and the proper wine paring. We found them extremely helpful in making our selections. One word of caution, it is very, very loud. It was difficult to have a conversation without raising our voices or repeating ourselves. Nevertheless, I would go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed vibes for dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/12/2014We had to take an early 5:15 reservation to get a table, and with an early seating comes an eager waiter paying far too much attention to our small table for two, rearranging the order of the silverware we were using on our plates, saying 'bon apetite' after every item placed on our table. We get it, you want to be a fancy French restaurant and charge $30/plate, but yet you have paper and salt and pepper shakers on each table. It was as though the restaurant couldn't make up it's mind as to what grade of restaurant it wanted to be. Go all the way, bite the bullet for linens on the tables, and your attentive service can supply the salt and pepper if it is needed. Although the menu was limited, the food was delicious (with the exception of the Au Gratin potatoes) and I would be happy to recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first tripOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/11/2014I made last minute reservations on Tuesday night. We were seated quickly, and our server came out immediately. He was warm, friendly, and attentive. We ordered cocktails and the beef tartar, both of which came out quickly. The tartar is the best I've ever had. We had the roast chicken and beef bourguignon, both of which were exquisite. Despite being totally full and not ordering desert, the waiter brought out some chewy chocolate bites with a candle having noticed my birthday when he checked my id. It was an amazing dinner and one I won't soon forget!Special Features:
- Special Occasion with a Surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/11/2014My fiance and I celebrated his birthday and had a phenomenal experience. Both of us work in the service industry and are a bit nit-picky about service, but were blown away at how well-rounded the evening was. Our server was helpful and made himself readily available, which is difficult to do in a busy restaurant. The sommelier, Eric, stopped by to offer his suggestions in pairing my fiance's duck breast entree (which was superb, by the way) with my steak frites (perfect hanger cut, perfect medium-rare) and checked back in with us at the end of the meal. A simple candle in the dessert ended our evening, which worked well as my fiance does not enjoy being the center of attention. Bonus points- Joe Biden was in the restaurant that night!Special Features:
- Bistro ExcellentbigpantsDined on 11/11/2014Terrific high-end bistro experience, high quality food, service and wine throughout. We began with the excellent pate de campagne and frisee salad, then the equally well prepared roast chicken and sea bass. Service attentive and friendly but not intrusive. A very nice wine list with a reasonable price range. Altogether an excellent night at the bistro!Special Features:
- Classic French BrasserieCarmenVIPDined on 11/10/2014Le Diplomate feels very French. The food was great. We had fish--the dorado special and the trout almandine. Both excellent though portions were too large. Also had the radish starter, which was spectacular. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wine listFoodLover14Dined on 11/10/2014I really enjoyed the food and am very happy to take my group there next time around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2014Excellent service, delicious steaks and a very nice wine. We will definitely return to Le Diplomate
- Don't botherGoodfood123VIPDined on 11/9/2014The food was good -- nothing special but fine. The service was terrible. The waiter literally looked down his nose at us. When my friend asked the difference between two wines, he said "they are made from different grapes." He was a snob -- not sure why he didn't like us. We ordered a lot of food drink and appetizers. Whatever, it was not worth the wait and the noise to have to put up being treated badly. Alas. Le Diplomat is not diplomatic at all.
- Fun EveningSmittenDined on 11/9/2014This is a fine restaurant turning out excellent food despite its high volume. The onion soup is the best I've ever had, and the authentic tasting French bread reminded me of a recent trip to Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful find!Masonneck4Dined on 11/9/2014It was our wedding anniversary that day and our two young children (10 and 13) were with us. It offers a great atmosphere for family, singles or couples as well. The food was absolutely delicious. We truly enjoyed the cheese platter with other condiments. Our attendant (Steven) was the best and very attentive to our needs. We will come back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/9/2014Le Diplomate is a great brunch spot, I've been there a few times and have always had a pleasant experience. The food is consistently good, although depending on what you get, a bit expensive. My greatest compliment is that the chefs at this restaurant can properly cook eggs - meaning they are not dry and crumbly like every other restaurant in the world (or at least the US!). The bread they bake is amazing and the surroundings are lovely. My one grip - service can be a bit slow, I don't mind having a leisurely lunch, in fact, I very much enjoy it, but I have noticed you sometimes really have to work to get your server's attention. That said, once you DO have it they are exceptionally pleasant and accommodating.Special Features:
- Busy BrunchAnonTTDined on 11/9/2014The food was great, and service was pretty good considering how busy the restaurant was. If you're looking for a calm leisurely brunch this may not be the place for you. It is energetic and bursting at the seams.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014One of the best meals we have had in DC - the pate and duck were wonderful and the chocolate napoliean dessert was unbelieveable.Special Features:
- why all the hype?snacker127Dined on 11/8/2014This is an ok restaurant. The food was good, but not amazing. The service was also good. I was expecting something spectacular based on all the hype. Priced toward the expensive end but comparable to a lot of other places around town. The place was really crowded and very noisy. I will say I had such a great cocktail that I ordered a second, but I'm not in that big a hurry to go back.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceBlawggerDined on 11/8/2014Girlfriend and I went for our anniversary. Everything from the food to the service was excellent. We both can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LE dimplomatesushiVIPDined on 11/8/2014It was a typical French bistro. The prices were on the high side.Special Features:
- Buttery deliciousnessRissVIPDined on 11/8/2014Met a friend for brunch. Super busy on Saturday so be sure to make a reservation. Paying for the pastry basket is worth it - buttery and light. Also the coffee is very good. Parking is a pain so leave extra time.Special Features:
- First time but not the lastcedarwaxwingDined on 11/8/2014I'd not heard of Le Diplomate until I researched places for breakfast in Logan Circle. I'm glad my breakfast companion chose Le Diplomate out of the list of four restaurants I sent her. The coffee and breakfast (I had "eggs Norway") were amazing. The bread that came with breakfast was delicious. Definitely going back for dinner sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was disappointed after hearing all the buzzMDFoodiesVIPDined on 11/7/2014I expected something else; romantic cozy bistro this is not. Large, high ceilings, and lots of noise. You scream at each other to be heard. We had fra gras mousse, the portion is large and good; escargot in parley/butter, good but seemed undercooked; skate was good but not interesting. One exceptional item was the duck breast, beautifully prepared. Lovely assortment of cheeses but prices are crazy. Overall, service is exceptional, food is good but for most items overpriced. Wine list prices are very high. We had planned for an extravagant anniversary celebration so were prepared to spend a lot on dinner. It was not the final check that bothered us, but feeling like we could have had something more romantic, memorable and, frankly, much more outstanding for the same price or less elsewhere. I might come back again if with a group.Special Features:
- Good food, outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014The food was very good, not quite great. Each dish was very well made and very flavorful. But I had minor criticisms of each dish as well. Little too much salt here, too much garlic there, etc. The wine and drinks were outstanding and the service was outstanding as well. Portions were reasonably sized. We had an entree and appetizer and dessert each and we were both stuffed when we left. I would recommend this place if you are looking for something new to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening and mealdorshkaDined on 11/7/2014We loved Le Diplomate. Everything was just perfect for a Friday evening out. The food was great. The room was lively but not too loud. We highly recommend Le Diplomate.Special Features:
- Great Classic French Dishes!MojoVIPDined on 11/7/2014Finally managed to snag a 5:15 reservation here. Couldn't have been more pleased We had the fois gras and a cheese sampler to start the night and both were fabulous. My wife had the Mediterranean Sea bass and I had the Braised Lamb (neck). Both were amazing. The fish was full of flavor and the lamb was super tender. Dutch our waiter was phenomenal. Super experience all the way around. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- simply greatRedHeadDined on 11/7/2014Very enjoyable experience from the beggining to end.Special Features:
- Oh la laOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/6/2014Every city now has one or two of these: progenies of NYC's Balthasar, the iconic stage set of a French bistro with a menu to match. Le Dip pulls this off in DC with aplomb. The interiors are a suitable confection of Deco, Moderne, and Beaux Arts. The room hums like a night at a Parisian cafe. The food is pitch perfect, if you're in the mood for the classics of comfort. Is it all gustatory excellence? Well, no, but that's not the point. And can you now get this in every mid-sized town in America? Absolutely. Who knows how long the craze might last...perhaps just until the next diplomatic dust up with the French when we will all revert to Freedom Fries. In the meantime, go and enjoy (and hold the salt shaker)!Special Features:
- Always great!GastronautDCVIPDined on 11/5/2014We had a great meal w/ friends. We all happened to get the mushroom soup - a hit on cold night. I had the pork Milanese special which was perfectly cooked. Next time, I would ask for the dressing on the side. My guests ordered the loup de mer and the beef bourgenoine - all hits! The bread basket is the best around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.