1601 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lediplomatedc.com/
- Phone: (202) 332-3333
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Tuesday 5:00PM to 10:00PM
Wednesday & Thursday 5:00PM to 11:00PM
Friday & Saturday 5:00PM to 12:00AM
Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10:00AM to 3:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Michael Abt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Le Diplomate
Stephen Starr brings his signature brand of hospitality and design to the nation’s capital with the opening of Le Diplomate, located at 14th & Q. Serving lunch, brunch and dinner, the stylish 260 seat restaurant transports diners to the beloved cafés of Boulevard Saint-Germain in Paris. The extensive menu features a variety of classic dishes including Onion Soup Gratinee, Steak Frites, and Poulet Roti as well as contemporary bistro fare, with dishes such as Shaved Veal Tongue with Mache and Bavette de Boeuf à l’Echalote. A thoughtfully curated wine list and cocktail program perfectly complements the cuisine and creates an environment suitable for romantic dinners or lively group gatherings. In warmer weather, enjoy dining "en plein air" in the stunning outdoor café where you can take in the bustling energy of DC while sipping on the perfect kir royale.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Le Diplomate - Best Restaurants in Logan Circle ›
Le Diplomate reviews from OpenTable diners
1161 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (775)hot spot (591)neighborhood gem (570)special occasion (568)great for outdoor dining (520)great for brunch (403)notable wine list (364)romantic (307)good for groups (267)vibrant bar scene (237)great for lunch (156)late-night find (87)kid-friendly (49)scenic view (19)Show More
- Amazing food and wineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014I brought my out-of-town family here and they loved it! We ordered everything from the special, to the king crab leg, and the steak and frites...which are to die for. Our waiter picked out five cheeses for us to meet all of of different tastes and requests. I will definitely be going back ASAP!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Food, Nice SettingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2014The food here was delicious. We had the Beef Bourginon, french fries and creme brulee. Wait staff was friendly and attentive, and very nice setting. Would definately comeback again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were outstanding!MikeDined on 11/23/2014We loved the food and the decor! It was difficult to find on-street parking but the $12 valet parking was easy and fast on the back end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchmariaDined on 11/23/2014We had a nice lunch at le diplomat. The food was good. It was as if you were in Belgium or France. The service was good. Very lively atmosphere, a lot to see. Nice public.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another delightful mealpmjedwardsDined on 11/22/2014This was our fifth or sixth trip to Le Diplomate in the last year. As always, reserve and reserve early. We arrived promptly at 9 for our reservation. We were not seated till 930, for which the staff were very appologetic. Upon being seated complimentary glasses of sparkling wine and two starters were delivered to the table: good save! For appetisers you can't go wrong with salad Lyonaisse or the foie gras, while for the main course their presentation of duck breast was delicious. The wine list has something for every price range, and if you are not afraid of a Chinon or a Brouilly, you have some good options. Unfortunately no room for dessert this time!Special Features:
- Terrific food, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014Always the highest quality food and attentive - but not overbearing - service. This time I was pleasantly surprised when, having given up on making it through to a very crowded bar, I decided to wait outside at the tables (in late November, very cold, I was the only one sitting there) for my wife and our reservation. Someone came out to take my drink order! I didn't even have to fight the bar. I was very, very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sleeping on its laurelsAdrianDined on 11/22/2014I ate at Le Diplomate shortly after it opened, some time ago, and the oufs en cocotte were stunning. On a recent visit, I therefore ordered the same. The dish was rather poorly made this time, with the cream coagulated and the eggs essentially sitting on top. One of our party even asked for the eggs to be made again, and out they came, almost browned and sitting on clearly separated cream. Big disappointment. Cheese plate was good, pate was OK, and wine selection is still fine. However, I don't need to put up with the long reservation list and the boisterous crowd for this level of cooking - I can get better performance buying cheese, pate and wine and having it at home.Special Features:
- Consistently goodMP1265Dined on 11/22/2014Enjoy this place as it is consistent and the food is pretty good. Just wish it was no so pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loud but goodbqq777Dined on 11/22/2014Knew it was crowded at brunch, but not so crowded they would run out of cappuccinos! The waitress offered to get us coffee on the house, but we waited about 5 minutes and the cappuccinos eventually arrived. Delicious and perfect otherwise, as usual. Le Diplomate is my favorite restaurant in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris on 14th Street!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/21/2014Close your eyes and you can transport yourself to a bistro in Paris while dining on 14th Street at Le Diplomate, but with truly friendly, superb service! We grabbed dinner on a Saturday night before heading to a concert at the 9:30 club and had a truly great meal. The foie gras appetizer was a generous portion of deliciousness, melting in your mouth. The steak frites, served with hangar steak, was cooked to perfection, with crispy skinny fries. But the best part of the night was the service, lead by our waiter Rob who was charming and attentive, and even the manager came over to check that we were enjoying ourselves. The restaurant was packed but the food came out promptly and perfectly. Wished we lived closer to downtown so we could make it our neighborhood spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSaydi82Dined on 11/21/2014The food was delicious. My husbands meal and mine were perfect. Highly recommend. And the ambience is spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing restaurant and waitOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/20/2014Had an amazing time but the wait even with a reservation was 30 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!ElleVIPDined on 11/20/2014First of all, the service here from start to finish was excellent. I had a larger group than I'd originally reserved a table for, but the hostesses were attentive and quick to find a suitable table. The menu is very French bistro, but varied enough that even the vegetarian at the table found something interesting. I love the potatoes au gratin and get them every time. They are a MUST.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/20/2014Decent menu and wine list, great ambiance, polite and attentive service. The food fell a little short of expectations. My companion and I had different fish entrees that were both beautifully cooked but distinctly oversalted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun on all countsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/20/2014We had a reservation and were seated right away. Service was prompt, thoughtful, seamless. We were brought fun extras as gifts of the chef including tiny delicious popovers and a salmon butter spread that melted in the mouth. The server helped us to choose a great selection for the cheese board which came with perfect adds like nuts and fruit. Main courses were perfect in flavor and presentation. The place was packed, but not too loud for great conversation and added to the feel of relaxed fun. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZolaDined on 11/20/2014We got oysters, French onion soup and split the steak and frittes and the waiter recommended excellent wine to pair with the meal! Was very happy with the whole experience! Excellent service and food! Yum! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnerbthutchinsVIPDined on 11/19/2014We go to events frequently in the 14th Street area and we have eaten here a number of times, even though there are a number of great options in the area. The food is outstanding and the atmosphere is welcoming and calm. The menu is not huge, but we have tried most of it within our group and we have found everything wonderful. I had the half baked chicken and after my friends tried it and the sauce I had to fight to keep my part. The sauce is great and saving some bread for it was worth it. My friend had the steak au poivre and it was also super. Really like the place and will keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duke1Dined on 11/18/2014Nice from the moment we walked into the place early, nobody there yet, divine. The minute I took a look at the joint, I knew I was in love with the place,I loved it; Everybody very friendly, starting with the totally excellent front desk lady,then the bar lady, excellent martini(s) at the bar. (2 each of us), then talk, talk. sit down to a gorgeous dinner, Lobster/veal/lobster, more wine. A totally upscale evening for me, thanks so much for a nice birthday for me. Thank you so much, Alan Edward WilsonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service!foodieVIPDined on 11/17/2014Staff including the manager came by several times to check on the table. I was delighted with the excellent service I received which added to the fantastic food! Definitely a hot spot and will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not for wine-loverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014Although the wine list covers all-round of wines, it doesn't look like wines were served for us to enjoy them (small glasses for red wine, rough way of pouring). Besides, we did not feel comfortable, when we were urged to order the next dishes repeatedly before finishing the wine that fits the dish.Special Features:
- Great food poor serviceJandRSVIPDined on 11/16/2014some of the best food we've ever had. Our server was horrid. Would love to have made this a five star and would have but the service just killed it. The people assisting the server were the only saving grace they were fantastic..if not for them we would have been in trouble. We will go back but just hope that we don't have the same server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected moreNinaDined on 11/16/2014I expected much more from the restaurant based on write-ups and comments from friends. The food was good, but no wow factor. There was nothing really striking on the menu which made me feel somewhat disappointed. That being said my appetizer (frommage de tete) and dessert (chocolate Napolitaine) where excellent. Not so my husband's choices. The service was very good; the place is very popular so quite noisy; the price is reasonable for the type of fare.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but Noisy PlaceGreatVIPDined on 11/16/2014We tried Le Diplomate to meet local friends mainly because of the great reviews and the availability pf their valet parking option. but we should have just picked it for its great food, great wines and great service (we had Meghan), It is quite noisy especially at the bar where we waited after arriving early, but once we were seated we had a splendid meal and despite the bar noise had good conversational ability. If we lived here, we would probably be a regular (but I am glad I don;t live here).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty French food with excellent service.foodynoshoesDined on 11/16/2014I highly recommend the fluke ceviche. The flavor was fantastic. The ambiance is great for small groups or a date. Do not expect to get a table soon without a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014We came early, around 945 had prime seating options and the service was so fast I was very surprised. The crowd and noise level picked up quickly as brunchers came in. We sat on the outside terrace which got a little crowded fast but overall it was a great experience with very quick and prompt service. Not to mention the food was very fresh and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but greatKclaytonDined on 11/15/2014Brasserie classics done to perfection - it is crowded and loud, but the food and service are worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our best DC dining experiences!MarylandCrabDined on 11/15/2014We had high expectations going into dinner and they delivered on every note. Started with some tasty oysters, and moved right in the radishes with herb butter/ravioli's. Both incredible. For main we had the beef and skate. The BEEF BOURGUIGNON was probably one of the most delicious things I have ever put in my mouth. The skate was ok. Finish everything off with a nice dry Bordeaux. Incredible evening with incredible service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Slice of ParisOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Craving duck? Steak frites? Crème brûlée made from scratch? Make a reservation—but do it well in advance of when you want to dine. The place is, understandably, very popular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our visitHSMITHDined on 11/15/2014We were in DC last just before Le Diplomate opened and were anxious to try it on our return. It did not disappoint! The restaurant is beautiful and definitely imparts a French feel. We were seated immediately and service was efficient but not overbearing. The bread basket was delicious. Coffee and capuccino both very good. I had the poached eggs basquaise and husband had duck sarladaises. Both were excellent. I could've eaten a whole bowl of the polenta in my dish alone! The duck confit in my husband's dish was so good. We ended with profiteroles---we haven't been to Parc in Philly but have always heard folks at home there raving about them. They weren't kidding. The profiteroles were absolutely delicious and the perfect size to share and end the meal. We would definitely return on a future trip to DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super BrunchSeaSaltDined on 11/15/2014Our third time at the restaurant and just keeps getting better. Even though the restaurant was extremely busy upon arrival for our Saturday Noon reservation, we were immediately whisked to our perfect table. Our two guests hadn't arrived yet however our waiter made it clear that there was no rush at all. Wonderful service and our waiter adapted well to one of our loved friends that is also a very finicky yet experienced cook and global diner! We had been for two dinners however Brunch was particularly fun with a menu perfectly balanced for customers that would like a mid day meal with a choice of breakfast, lunch, or dinner. for instance, My wife had a perfectly made omelette (an Omelette that we thought only the French know how to prepare), one of our guests had a super egg dish with polenta and prosciutto, and I had trout almandine! All washed down with an excellent yet well priced Chateauneuf du Pape recommended by our waiter. What an excellent Saturday it made for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service, Good Food, Great AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/15/2014I made a reservation through Open Table to have brunch here with my mom. When we arrived, we checked in and were told that it would just be a minute. Five minutes later, after I'd seen the hostess seat at least three other parties (two of them also had two people), I approached to check what was going on. It turns out the hostess had forgotten about us. So, she told someone to take us to a certain table. I thought she might have been giving us a good table because of the oversight. But no, she was trying to seat us at a cramped table right in front of the monstrous coat rack. We asked if there might be another table, and we were told we could have the cramped table behind it. Mind you, the place was pretty empty. So, we decided to eat at the bar. I got eggs benedict that was just okay. However, my mom got the quiche Lorraine and we split the French Toast to try. The quiche and the French Toast were terrific. Also, while sitting at the bar, we both agreed that the ambience was great. So, there are some upsides. You just have to watch out for poor hostessing, which is a shame, since I normally receive great service as an Open Table customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than meets the eyeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014The frenetic level of activity in this packed restaurant belied the level of service and dining quality that awaited us at Le Diplomate. Our server Karla did a great job guiding us through the menu after we informed her it was our first visit, and she paced our meal perfectly when she was informed we had time for a leisurely dinner. Since so many have commented on the food, I'll only add that every dish we had was well-prepared, delicious, and served at the appropriate temperature. Brief highlights included the radish crudite, the star of which was the butter. The butter had a beautiful aroma and a nicely sour taste (truffle salt?). The beef bourguignon was magnificent, featuring fork tender beef in a deeply flavored, perfectly seasoned sauce, as well as roasted root vegetables, lardons, and buttery potato puree. Finally, the creme brulee was perfect, and enough for two to three people. As a side note, I was thrilled and amazed to land a same-day reservation, so don't give up. The wait on a Friday evening looked long, and some people even chose to eat outside in the uncovered portion of the patio. Amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2014We dined with another couple and for both of us it was our 45th wedding anniversary. Host was aware, made a fuss over us and seated us at a relatively quiet table next to the windows on 14th Street away from the bar. Complimentary champagne came to our table but I wish he had told us that before we ordered drinks. Green salad was a beautiful presentation, with small green beans and a light vinaigrette. Men had the mushroom soup which was very flavorful but we all thought was too salty. Dover sole was perfectly cooked, scallops were served with interesting mix of cauliflower and apples. Steak au poivre got high marks as did the beef bourguignon. all in all we had a great evening, but this is not an intimate restaurant, rather a riff on a classy French bistro with terrific food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Excellent. Great cocktails. Too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/12/2014The food was outstanding. Plus, we have finally found a place that mix a great cocktail. Many places can do an adequate job, but these were special. The service was excellent. The servers really know the food, the preparation and the proper wine paring. We found them extremely helpful in making our selections. One word of caution, it is very, very loud. It was difficult to have a conversation without raising our voices or repeating ourselves. Nevertheless, I would go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed vibes for dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/12/2014We had to take an early 5:15 reservation to get a table, and with an early seating comes an eager waiter paying far too much attention to our small table for two, rearranging the order of the silverware we were using on our plates, saying 'bon apetite' after every item placed on our table. We get it, you want to be a fancy French restaurant and charge $30/plate, but yet you have paper and salt and pepper shakers on each table. It was as though the restaurant couldn't make up it's mind as to what grade of restaurant it wanted to be. Go all the way, bite the bullet for linens on the tables, and your attentive service can supply the salt and pepper if it is needed. Although the menu was limited, the food was delicious (with the exception of the Au Gratin potatoes) and I would be happy to recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first tripOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/11/2014I made last minute reservations on Tuesday night. We were seated quickly, and our server came out immediately. He was warm, friendly, and attentive. We ordered cocktails and the beef tartar, both of which came out quickly. The tartar is the best I've ever had. We had the roast chicken and beef bourguignon, both of which were exquisite. Despite being totally full and not ordering desert, the waiter brought out some chewy chocolate bites with a candle having noticed my birthday when he checked my id. It was an amazing dinner and one I won't soon forget!Special Features:
- Special Occasion with a Surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/11/2014My fiance and I celebrated his birthday and had a phenomenal experience. Both of us work in the service industry and are a bit nit-picky about service, but were blown away at how well-rounded the evening was. Our server was helpful and made himself readily available, which is difficult to do in a busy restaurant. The sommelier, Eric, stopped by to offer his suggestions in pairing my fiance's duck breast entree (which was superb, by the way) with my steak frites (perfect hanger cut, perfect medium-rare) and checked back in with us at the end of the meal. A simple candle in the dessert ended our evening, which worked well as my fiance does not enjoy being the center of attention. Bonus points- Joe Biden was in the restaurant that night!Special Features:
- Bistro ExcellentbigpantsDined on 11/11/2014Terrific high-end bistro experience, high quality food, service and wine throughout. We began with the excellent pate de campagne and frisee salad, then the equally well prepared roast chicken and sea bass. Service attentive and friendly but not intrusive. A very nice wine list with a reasonable price range. Altogether an excellent night at the bistro!Special Features:
- Classic French BrasserieCarmenVIPDined on 11/10/2014Le Diplomate feels very French. The food was great. We had fish--the dorado special and the trout almandine. Both excellent though portions were too large. Also had the radish starter, which was spectacular. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wine listFoodLover14Dined on 11/10/2014I really enjoyed the food and am very happy to take my group there next time around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.