1601 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lediplomatedc.com/
- Phone: 2023323333x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Tuesday 5:00PM to 10:00PM
Wednesday & Thursday 5:00PM to 11:00PM
Friday & Saturday 5:00PM to 12:00AM
Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10:00AM to 3:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Michael Abt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Le Diplomate
Stephen Starr brings his signature brand of hospitality and design to the nation’s capital with the opening of Le Diplomate, located at 14th & Q. Serving lunch, brunch and dinner, the stylish 260 seat restaurant transports diners to the beloved cafés of Boulevard Saint-Germain in Paris. The extensive menu features a variety of classic dishes including Onion Soup Gratinee, Steak Frites, and Poulet Roti as well as contemporary bistro fare, with dishes such as Shaved Veal Tongue with Mache and Bavette de Boeuf à l’Echalote. A thoughtfully curated wine list and cocktail program perfectly complements the cuisine and creates an environment suitable for romantic dinners or lively group gatherings. In warmer weather, enjoy dining "en plein air" in the stunning outdoor café where you can take in the bustling energy of DC while sipping on the perfect kir royale.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Le Diplomate - Best Restaurants in Logan Circle ›
Le Diplomate reviews from OpenTable diners
1177 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (768)neighborhood gem (606)great for outdoor dining (601)hot spot (595)special occasion (592)great for brunch (435)notable wine list (381)romantic (346)vibrant bar scene (268)good for groups (256)great for lunch (153)late-night find (95)kid-friendly (58)scenic view (30)Show More
- Phenom.NYEDinerDined on 10/19/2014That mushroom tart, good lord, it was worth every single calorie as was every other dish we ordered.Special Features:
- spinndoctor1Dined on 10/18/2014absolutely great food, great service, outdoor dining--a bit loud. difficult to get reservations but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Dd421VIPDined on 10/18/2014Our server was right when he said, "All the food on the menu is good." I had shrimp cocktail as a starter. It was ice-cold and delicious. Then I had the farro salad as my entree, and chocolate napoleon for dessert. My dining companion had the oysters as a starter (huge!) and the plate of the day (la plat du jour), which was beef short rib. The beef was like butter. Service was very, very attentive. We didn't wait very long for anything to be brought to our table. They seem to try and make you feel like you have your own personal server waiting on you every second. The only downside is, we did feel a little rushed, like they wanted to turn the table over quickly. All in all though, it was wonderful and we'll be back!Special Features:
- Great pickOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Le Diplomate is fantastic. However, as recommended by our waiter, I ordered the beef short rib, which is their Saturday night special, and I was slightly underwhelmed. I thought it was too fatty, and I really had to fight with the meat to pull the fat off. Nonetheless, every other aspect of our experience was amazing! If you don't know what dessert to order, go for the dark chocolate Napoleon.Special Features:
- If names are important...CharlotteDined on 10/18/2014We went to dinner with my son and his partner to celebrate their move to the neighborhood. They wanted to go here because it's a Stephen Starr restaurant, and labels such as that matter to them. Good for them. If that makes them happy, so be it. The restaurant is very noisy. I couldn't hear my wife sitting next to me without being 4 inches from her. Our order was only partially filled. The service was slow, though the servers were mostly pleasant. The food was good, but certainly not extraordinary.Prices were high, though not unexpectedly so. If labels matter, then this is the place for you. If you would rather have a good dinner with good conversation, go elsewhere.
- Best service amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014Just took a friend that was in town. Minor issue with the food and the server and management went above and beyond to make up for it. The food is absolutely delicious and the staff is incredibly professional. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/17/2014Le Diplomate is one of the best restaurants in DC. The food is consistently delicious, the servers are attentive and prompt without being overbearing, and did I mention the food? Our party of 3 ordered the Steak Frites (delicious, flavorful hanger steak served with crispy thin fries), Steak Au Poivre (perfectly seared, served with spinach), and the burger - which tastes like a gourmet Big Mac (in a good way - they used mayo and cheese to complement the beef flavor beautifully). We paired it all with an affordable bottle of Cotes du Rhone and far too much bread. I'll definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C'est MagnifiqueSardinianNickDined on 10/17/2014Overall excellent food and service with two exceptions: the Bouillabaise was mediocre and the noise level borders on intolerableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Typical brasserie, which is what I expected, but the food was at best average. Everything was over salted and taste did not wow.Special Features:
- Another amazing mealrestaurantreviewer4VIPDined on 10/17/2014We had another amazing meal here. I had my family down for a visit and we were so excited to take them here. Everyone loved their meals and the atmosphere. The staff was very accommodating for my 94-year-old Grandma with her wheelchair in helping us seat her and get her back into the wheelchair when we were done. Fantastic service and terrific food!Special Features:
- Perfect for Special OccasionsamrklevyDined on 10/16/2014Went to LeDiplomate for the first time to celebrate my dad's 65th birthday. We were seated immediately upon arrival and many of those surrounding us also appeared to be celebrating special occasions. The menu/ambiance is almost identical to Balthazar's in NYC (same owners), but it's one of my favorite places so this certainly isn't a bad thing. The food was very good and came out quickly despite the entire place being packed. Even my French stepmom was impressed! Would definitely return in the future, especially to go to the bar which appeared to its own hot spot.Special Features:
- DisappointingstephanedcDined on 10/15/2014It was crowded for a Wesdnesday night, I felt like I was in New York. The only thing I did like was dessert. I was very disappointed with the rest of the food, my friends told me it was the best French restaurant in town; well I guess not. Skip that please it is to expensive for what it is.Special Features:
- Excellent food, very large portionsNancyDined on 10/15/2014Great food; loved the foie gras and mushroom tort; enjoyed the chicken and veal-both pretty special. Portions were so large that I recommend ordering one appetizer to share, 2 main courses; one dessert. Very loud, but friendly environment. Wine was quite expensive and we were discouraged from ordering the carafe wine. I would return and recommend.Special Features:
- Like Paris (but waiters were nicer)soccermomDined on 10/14/2014Went here for 25th Wedding Anniversary dinner. Enjoyed foie gras terrine, lobster risotto and pot du chocolate myself, escargot, loup de mer, and tarte tatin for my husband, plus a nice white Burgundy. Also tried Vietnamese coffee and regular (American) coffee. Food was really good (like Paris -- reminded us of a place on the Left Bank) and the wine list was extensive. Waiters were MUCH nicer than in Paris -- very accomodating toward my food allergy to lime, and helpful when selecting dishes. No problem getting spoons to share the risotto either -- just had to ask once. Only drawback would be the noise level (which really is like Paris!) - sometimes felt as if I had to shout to be heard, and I was hoarse the next morning. But no one smokes.Special Features:
- Very nice authentic bistro feelhostsDined on 10/14/2014Went to celebrate the closing of our new place (just next door--luck us!) and we had a very nice meal. My girlfriend's lobster risotto was amazing (according to her--I don't eat lobster) and she said she has never had a better risotto (and the woman knows her risotto). My steak frites was fine--nothing spectacular, but good. ambiance was very nice--absolutely PACKED on a Tuesday evening, and very noisy. Definitely a "scene" and too loud if you wanted a quiet conversation, but nice if you wanted to embrace the buzz.Special Features:
- AXCINC12Dined on 10/14/2014Very noisy, had to speak very loud to communicate with my guests. Food came very late, Main course, Lobster Risottto was great however the starter, esgargot was not great at all. Overall experience was OK but not great. very noisy and too expensive. A bit dissapointed to sy the least.Special Features:
- Loved itrsubs33Dined on 10/14/2014This is by far the best restaurant I have visited since moving to DC a little over a year ago. It is in line with the Stephan Starr restaurants I have visited in Philadelphia. The food was absolutely suberb and the service was there to match.Special Features:
- Be my guestRahpatchVIPDined on 10/13/2014Such a hot spot and has been for a while. Open table it or go to the bar. Its good but I dont understand why its always fully booked.Special Features:
- Wow.MustlovefoodDined on 10/13/2014Wow. Highlights of the night: Ricotta ravioli Steak au poivre with pommes purée Romarin cocktail AND Milk chocolate pot de creme Not only was the food incredible but I left feeling full/ completely satisfied. Loved the feel of the resturant as well! Will absolutely be back, even if just for drinks and dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food/Wonderful StaffMidCenturyModernistDined on 10/13/2014Exquisite food and a charming atmosphere were all that has been claimed. The Warm Shrimp Salad was a delight. The Duck and Beef Bourguingnon were both perfect, with the accompanying vegetables fresh and bursting with flavor. Best of all, the staff was just wonderful. Bringing my partner here for his 40th birthday dinner, the staff helped surprise him by delivering his gift to the table after the main course (the manager, Adrian, claiming that the bottle of Tom Ford cologne was just "a small token that Le Diplomate gives to first-time patrons."). Just delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDininggirlDined on 10/12/2014Everything was beautifully cooked. Service was fabulous. Not for those who don't like salt, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/12/2014I came here on the recommendation of a friend and I was not disappointed. This place is HUGE, much bigger than I expected, and because of that if it's busy it's fairly noisy. Despite the crush of people our waiter was a delight, very friendly and helpful, and we didn't have to wait long for anything. The food was delicious, plentiful, and really for DC not expensive. The best part - this place knew how to cook eggs properly! Not dry, perfectly soft omelette, I haven't had anything so well prepared since I was in Europe. The bread that you get at the beginning of the meal is also amazing, so good in fact, you don't need to order anything else carb related on offer. I definitely recommend this place.
- INCREDIBLELeLoveDined on 10/12/2014Le Diplomate has got to be one of the most delicious restaurants I have ever been to. The food was excellent and the service was attentive and personable. I highly recommend this place to ANYONE. Already looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- Le Diplomate continues to pleaseoutoftenVIPDined on 10/12/2014We love brunch at Le Diplomate, one of our favorite restaurants in DC. We're hoping that they'll one day serve a daily breakfast and lunch.Special Features:
- NmacNoshDined on 10/12/2014I have been to Le Diplomate several times for breakfast and have always enjoyed it tremendously. Anyone who loves traveling to Paris will enjoy the food and ambiance of this gem on 14th Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine!DCFoodieDined on 10/11/2014There's a reason Le Diplomate has remained so busy... the food! On our most recent visit, we had the macaroni & cheese, the pate, the veal, the short rib, and the crème brûlée. All dessert are made on-site by a pastry chef. It is worth the long wait or planning ahead and making a reservation (well in advance). There's a little bit of favoritism for some patrons who get to bypass the wait, but that's not atypical in DC where who you know is your most valuable asset.Special Features:
- Wonderful brunch!BrunchDined on 10/11/2014My friends and I had a wonderful brunch on Saturday at Le Diplomate! Great service, great food, and great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but a great experiencegeno911Dined on 10/11/2014Luis, our server, was prompt, accommodating, and knowledgable. The restaurant was roaring with the noise of two hundred yuppies wolfing down brunch, but the charm of the Parisian decor still permeated our experience. Poached eggs basquaise and gruyere omelette were both delicious, and the specialty coffee is worth the $4-5 they charge for it.Special Features:
- A little disappointingHunter1953Dined on 10/10/2014Nice restaurant, but food didn't live up to expectations. Mushroom tart really great, but the bouillabaise was way off the mark. I'd be surprised if any saffron at all were used in the stock, and I tasted no fennel. The rouille was crude, but it did provide some flavor. Decor was fake French, sort of a la Disney, but nice enough in a "stage set" sort of a way. Service was very pleasant but continually and unnecessarily overfilled wine glasses. Having been a server, I know the trick, and I realize that the server would really like the larger tip probably associated with selling the second bottle, but a red wine glass 1/3 full does NOT need filling in the middle of dinner.Special Features:
- Nice placeBittersweetDined on 10/9/2014A smile can go a long way, I believe it's part of hospitality. Server was beyond wonderful, excellent service skills, fri nely, warm, welcoming, accommodating.Special Features:
- OutstandingJennyDined on 10/9/2014Fresh food with nice presentation and fantastic service. All around terrific meal.Special Features:
- Great decor - disappointing foodFrenchie1974Dined on 10/9/2014The decor is fantastic here - truly captures the old Parisian feel and as a former resident of Paris, I know this place has done a great job recreating an authentic Parisian Bistro look and feel. Food was just so-so in my humble opinion. My mussels were somewhat overcooked and shriveled and there was cream in the broth which is not the way Parisians eat them Moules Marinere is always a clear soup with lots of aromatics. My friends warm shrimp salad had shrimp with a strong iodine taste which is not acceptable. Starter green salad with haricots verts was very nice and profiteroles dessert was well done. Waiter was friendly but not knowledgeable about ingredients and could not explain type of mushrooms in the tart. Go for the decor!!Special Features:
- Excellent French Bistro FoodGastronomiqueSuedoisDined on 10/8/2014We went for a late dinner at 9. We were seated very promptly, even though we were a few minutes early and it was very full. The server was great and was very attentive to us. She helped to explain the menu and the food in a great way. She also higlighted some dishes that are a bit unusual, that you would not usually pick, like a Terrine of Pigs Cheeks ! Food was excellent and the wine list was very complete. We had a wonderful Gigondas that you really do not see available in the stores, so a great wine-experience could be had. While the noise level was a bit high at 9, it soon became a bit more sedate on this weekday. We would come back any evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful!hairbrainedDined on 10/8/2014Had our wedding anniversary here. The staff chose an ideal table for us, and our server, Dutch, was so accommodating and knowledgeable. Food courses were spaced out perfectly. We had trout, pate and steak tartare; then duck and steak au poivre; then tarte tatin and chocolate. All of it was delightful - very good food, presented well. A special shout out to Jamie Morris, the general manager, who is excellent at his job and went above and beyond to make our anniversary dinner special. Thank you Le Diplomate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great atmosphere, overpriced foodDCfoodfanDined on 10/8/2014This is a beautiful restaurant with a true Parisian feel. However the food was just ok and the prices are very expensive...entrees hover around $30.. Have been here a couple of times. Beef bourguignon tasted like the sauce and the beef were burned. Coarse pate is excellent. there could be more variety on the menu offering some lower priced options. Other dishes are so so. Maybe it is difficult to maintain quality for such a large restaurant. It is not bad however there are other French restaurants in DC that are better and less expensive. If you just want great atmosphere and bar scene this is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood jointOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/8/2014We were expecting more from what we had heard, but we probably went in with the wrong expectations. It is a good neighborhood restaurant but not a place for a special meal/occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/8/2014I have been wanting to try Le Diplomate since it first opened and am so happy I finally got a chance to make it there. I was really impressed and it was well worth the wait. My family and I enjoyed an amazing dinner. The table had the steak tartare to start, which was very flavorful. I had the duck breast and it was cooked to perfection. My family enjoyed the shrimp salad, half roasted chicken, beef bourguignon and frites. This is a great restaurant with both excellent service and food. I will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Always greatStLfanDined on 10/7/2014When in DC a must. Great food and service. Need reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaraKVIPDined on 10/7/2014Brought my brother and his girlfriend who were visiting from overseas. They absolutely loved it - everything from the food to the wine and the cocktails. They were very impressed/pleased :)Special Features:
- NomNomNomOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2014Everything about this place was wonderful! From the bread basket to the cheese plate to the entrees; our group snarfed it all up! :) There isn't a bad thing on this menu & we can't wait to go back again!Special Features: