1601 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lediplomatedc.com/
- Phone: 2023323333x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Tuesday 5:00PM to 10:00PM
Wednesday & Thursday 5:00PM to 11:00PM
Friday & Saturday 5:00PM to 12:00AM
Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10:00AM to 3:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Michael Abt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Le Diplomate
Stephen Starr brings his signature brand of hospitality and design to the nation’s capital with the opening of Le Diplomate, located at 14th & Q. Serving lunch, brunch and dinner, the stylish 260 seat restaurant transports diners to the beloved cafés of Boulevard Saint-Germain in Paris. The extensive menu features a variety of classic dishes including Onion Soup Gratinee, Steak Frites, and Poulet Roti as well as contemporary bistro fare, with dishes such as Shaved Veal Tongue with Mache and Bavette de Boeuf à l’Echalote. A thoughtfully curated wine list and cocktail program perfectly complements the cuisine and creates an environment suitable for romantic dinners or lively group gatherings. In warmer weather, enjoy dining "en plein air" in the stunning outdoor café where you can take in the bustling energy of DC while sipping on the perfect kir royale.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Le Diplomate - Best Restaurants in Logan Circle ›
Le Diplomate reviews from OpenTable diners
1217 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (768)special occasion (671)great for outdoor dining (646)neighborhood gem (630)hot spot (581)great for brunch (505)romantic (378)notable wine list (372)vibrant bar scene (270)good for groups (233)great for lunch (166)late-night find (118)kid-friendly (68)scenic view (45)Show More
- Transports you to to FranceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2014Great food at the expense of hearing what your table is saying. Great ambiance at the expense of... well, expense. Great service, if you can hear the staff. The manager comes by to personally assure your dining happily. Knowing what to order is the most important part.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/18/2014Le Diplomate is truly one of the best restaurants in the city- I have a great time and and even more amazing meal every time i go. Nabil was great and gave us great recommendations, had me try to some thing I had missed before!Special Features:
- great spotbarnVIPDined on 8/17/2014Third time dining and never disappointed. Great food, fantastic service. Outside is the place to be, as it is quite noisy inside, but otherwise, one of our favorites. I have had less quality dinners in Paris! Often a celebrity bonus like sitting across from the Veep last time. Outstanding restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to the HypeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014I'd heard a lot of great things about Le Diplomate, and so was surprised when the restaurant surpassed every expectation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014We had a wonderful lunch . There was a Parisian atmosphere that remind me "chez Julien" in Paris !!! It was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/17/2014Dutch was our waiter and he's EXCELLENT! I will always request to sit in his section whenever I dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic BrunchErinDined on 8/17/2014After having a poor dinner experience - the duck everyone ordered was dry - brunch quickly redeemed Le Diplomate. The breakfast pastries basket was delicious and overflowing. We never reached the bottom of our coffee cups thanks to our awesome server. All in my party ordered egg dishes - each was filling and delicious. I will definitely be back for brunch!Special Features:
- my favourite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014The food is superb. The staff are better than anywhere perhaps in the world. There is no haughtiness from any of the lovely hostesses - they are funny and incredibly talented at running the hottest spot in town. Erik, the sommelier, is remarkably skilled at his craft, and also warm and kind and approachable, even for those who feel intimidated by wine. It is lively and loud, like a proper spot in Montmartre, so if you want quiet and minimalist, this is not your spot. But if you want to feel alive, come here and savour all that makes the world beautiful and exciting - spectacular food, expertly selected wine, craft cocktails, the best bread and dessert, and some first class people watching.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a wonderful meal outstanding salads, the chicken was very special ,the menu is very diverse and offers something for everyone. Everyone in our party thoroughly enjoyed their dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014With much hype about this place I expected a let down, but it did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Maureeninvirginia1VIPDined on 8/16/2014Great French restaurant! Very authentic! Definitely will come again!Special Features:
- What's left to say?BuckerVIPDined on 8/16/2014I love the food, the service, and the ambience at Le Dip. One of those rare places where you expect that everything will be first-class and are never disappointed. One of my favorite places in the District. And one where "hospitality" is the order of the day. And amazing at how well everything is choreographed in a restaurant with (I'm told) around 250 seats. Absolutely superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy Le Diplomateklm4463Dined on 8/16/2014Great food, great service, friendly staff - all in a vibrant neighborhood. You won't be sorry you went.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fave Brunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014I'll confess, I don't often go to brunch because eggs and pancakes are pretty easy to pull off, but hot damn, Le Diplomate knows how to make an omelet. Ive been here twice for brunch in the past month and a half and have gotten the same thing- the gruyere omelet. This omelet is the constancy of a cloud. I usually am heavy handed with herbs when I cook, but Le Diplomat only puts enough in to titillate the senses while keeping the flavors of this scrumptious roll of love light but delicious. The potatoes that come with the omelet are also fantastic- the caramelized onions take them to the next level! Finally, the coffee is excellent. I like my coffee black, and this stuff is tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Making basic dishes extraordinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/15/2014I was with a group, late night, and we were sharing dishes. I hate macaroni and cheese. The macaroni and cheese at Le Diplomate (pasta in béchamel sauce actually) was fantastic. I am not a big fan of lamb, other than Rack of Lamb at 1789 or Ris. The lamb was outrageous. Le Diplomate has a way of making basic dishes extraordinary.Special Features:
- A Bit of Paris on 14th StreetOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Third time for dinner here and continues to excel at exuding the Parisian bistro feel. Food is excellent - mushroom tart still amazes; breads are wonderful, especially the fruit and nut; beef bourguignon and steak frites tender; apple tarte tatin a delightful way to end the meal. Service has returned to its original excellent self. Appreciate the very fair corkage policy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional duckOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014From the cranberry-walnut bread to the duck confit, the food was excellent. At $80 each (with two cocktails and a starter) Le Diplomate isn't cheap, but you already know this. It's an occasional splurge for the average, upper middle class gourmand. With that in mind, I doubt you'll be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best dining experiencesTeslaP85VIPDined on 8/14/2014Erik Segelbaum is the one of the best sommeliers I have ever had the pleasure of encountering. He totally made the night and his wine selections were spot on! We actually enjoyed one of the best wines I've ever tried! It paired perfectly with our dinner. The food and the atmosphere was wonderful as well. Le Diplomate, do what you can to always keep Erik there, he provides the upmost experience for your guests and he truly knows his wines. We will be going back many times in the future and introducing many friends to this top notch establishment. One more thanks goes to Erik for making this one of the finest dining experiences we have ever had the pleasure of enjoying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum! And great service!MagglesVIPDined on 8/14/2014We had an amazing experience at Le Diplomate - the waiter was very helpful and attentive. The food was delicious and we would definitely go back! I hear they have a great brunch too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014Beef Burgundy and Scallop entree extremely salty. First pour of wine very skimpy (3 ounces?) Waiter fixed it but never really acknowledged that the pour was off, even when the the glass of wine in question was placed right next to another glass of wine which contained the correct amount. Service was efficient enough, but with an attitude of "we're so popular now, we really don't care if you come back or not". Just my opinion.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Service has been really fast, we didn't finish our entrée before to get our main dishes.Special Features:
- Early dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/12/2014Very nice atmosphere. Great food and drink. Definitely a repeat place.Special Features:
- Amazingly delicious dinnerLovetogooutmomDined on 8/11/2014We had an incredible dinner at Le Diplomate. The attentive service, delicious meal and ambiance exceeded our expectations. We can't wait to go back. Thank you for a wonderful date-night!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great atmosphereShelbyDined on 8/11/2014As my friends and I noted, you'd never know that Le Diplomate is relatively new to the neighborhood. The mood and atmosphere of the restaurant fit just right into the area, and it feels right at home. The service was excellent, between every course we had our server and others come by, switch out silverware, wipe the table, etc. The food was all delicious (though especially cheesy/heavy); we shared the flaky, rich mushroom tart to start, I split the cheeseburger and the pear/endive salad, and we shared creme brulee and pot de creme for dessert. Everything was incredible and our server was kind and friendly. We sat for almost three hours enjoying our surroundings!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-somaxandDined on 8/11/2014Having to eat at 5:30 or 9:00 in order to get a reservation was a little off-putting, but it was quiet from 5:30 until 7:00. Entrees arrived withn two minutes of appetizers. Best part of the event was a chat with the manager, who was friendly, listened, checked and came back with answers.Special Features:
- perfect anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/10/2014We felt very welcome and just had a nice, relaxed evening. It was like being in Paris -- though the welcome was warmer... We were particularly appreciative of the server's knowledge of the menu and possible pitfalls for those who didn't eat meat. I had the trout, with chard in lieu of green beans (cooked in chicken broth) and it was beautifully prepared and tasty. My husband enjoyed the skate. Oh, and the lobster starter and the roquefort salad were splendid. And the cheese course. Nicely curated. Yum. Definitely will be back!Special Features:
- Always a special occasionBuckerVIPDined on 8/10/2014Every visit to Le Diplomate becomes a special occasion, given the combination of outstanding food, service, and ambiance. The wait staff are very knowledgeable about the food and able to make intelligent recommendations. It would be worth a visit there for the bread basket alone. No wonder it continues to be one of the hottest spots in the District. It's my number-one brunch destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthdayeec21Dined on 8/10/2014Le Diplomate is already a favorite of mine because it totally transports you away from the city to a Parisian cafe. I recommend the window tables. OUr seat wasn't that great this time, but after specifying that it was my companion's birthday, the restaurant brought out a beautiful candle on our dessert. Very cute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, a great brunchxolondonDined on 8/9/2014A few notes- be sure to ask for the bread (unless you get the pastry basket). The omelets are excellent. If you want tea, it's a proper pot with loose tea in a tied bag (none of this pick from a box of pre-bagged teas). If noise is a thing for you, the "green" room on the side is good. Also note that you can park right out front if you get there by like 9:45am for breakfast.Special Features:
- I don't live in DC, butEvanVIPDined on 8/8/2014This is a place that is a must on every visit from here on out. Try the trout almandine or the grilled loup de mer. Outstanding dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go back!wojo4hitzDined on 8/8/2014Had been trying to get in here for a meal for a while... finally got smart and booked way in advance! Everything was delightful... we tried the ricotta ravioli and French onion soup appetizers, which were rich and delicious, and the half chicken and (why not?) American cheeseburger entrees. Only complaints were that the chicken didn't come with any vegetable sides except for whipped potatoes, which were reeeeeaaalllly buttery and salty (but also delicious, if you like that kind of thing!) Saw someone order the dark chocolate Napolean for dessert and had to try it; didn't regret it! Service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmedDJSWashDCDined on 8/8/2014The restaurant was crowded and noisy. The bouillabaisse was a small portion and just ok. The bread was outstanding; the service attentive and the desserts excellent.Special Features:
- The New Go-ToEBLizVIPDined on 8/7/2014WHen a friend who moved from DC to SF said she was coming to visit for the first time in a while and that she wanted to try something new, Le Dip was the obvious choice. I felt really lucky to get a reservation for 4 on a Thursday night in relatively short notice and as always, we were not disappointed. My friend and her boyfriend were super impressed with the food and how fun and adorable the restaurant is. We had great cocktails, good wine, and everyone left full and happy. I got the burger which I've been ordering at Le Dip lately, and it just might be the best burger in DC these days!Special Features:
- An evening in Pariszk0027Dined on 8/7/2014I've travelled to 90 countries and I know when I say.....dining at Le Diplomate was like dining in Paris. Love the decor, the food, the speakers ! Outdoors or Indoors , the hustle and the bustle , the aromas.......everything was good. If not for the noise in the restaurant, I wouldn't be surprised to hear Piaf's voice drifting through the speakers to the tables outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceWillieDined on 8/7/2014Had heard a lot about Le Diplomate. It was very, very good bu t maybe my expectations had been raised to unreasonable levels. The food was very good - we had a variety of seafoods and steaks but wouldn't say that any of them were just WOW - best thing I've ever eaten. Escargot was OK but I've had better. Service was very good but we did have a couple times when our glasses were empty and we had to flag down our server. Prices for most entrees were very reasonable - $25 to $35 range. Can be a very reasonably priced evening - especially if you stay away from appetizers and alcohol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sseatsVIPDined on 8/7/2014The really good food (fabulous bread!) brings me back here, tho not as often as I'd like because it is so LOUD, even outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sue Bredekamp1SueBVIPDined on 8/6/2014Le Diplomate deserves every bit of its stellar reputation. We prefer it for all special occasions though can't always get in even planning in advance.Special Features:
- Nice place - but not all that...dinneroutDined on 8/5/2014The restaurant was similar to many bistros in France but a bit on the noisy side. Tables close together, etc. Amazing woodwork and other details that probably cost the owners quite a bit of money - but well done! The food was ok. I ordered the beef burgundy, which was very intense in flavor. A friend ordered the pepper steak and it was amazing. Another ordered the skirt steak and it was a bit tough. The wait staff was excellent - big kudos on that.Special Features:
- Anniversary treatluvDCdiningVIPDined on 8/5/2014We celebrated our anniversary and were delighted with the entire experience! This was not our first visit to Le Diplomate. Although everything we've tasted has been spectacular, we have now developed an ordering convention that delights -- ALWAYS start with the Le Diplomate Fromages -- the cheese selections are a perfect start to the meal. Next, it's on to the "Les Plats du Jour" -- the plate of the day this time was Lobster Risotto and it was spectacular. (Every daily special we've ordered has been delicious.) Finally, if you still have room for dessert, it must be VANILLA BEAN CREME BRULEE!Special Features:
- Only So SoDJTravelBoyDined on 8/5/2014Had long wanted to try Le Diplomate. have to say the Steak Frites with Fries and the French Onion Soup were very good. The service was very slow, very spotty and overly inattentive. Our waiter was pleasant but I wonder if he was over-stretched with tables. Took a long time for him to pay any attention to us and then his return visits were very sparse.