1601 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lediplomatedc.com/
- Phone: 2023323333x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Tuesday 5:00PM to 10:00PM
Wednesday & Thursday 5:00PM to 11:00PM
Friday & Saturday 5:00PM to 12:00AM
Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10:00AM to 3:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Michael Abt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Le Diplomate
Stephen Starr brings his signature brand of hospitality and design to the nation’s capital with the opening of Le Diplomate, located at 14th & Q. Serving lunch, brunch and dinner, the stylish 260 seat restaurant transports diners to the beloved cafés of Boulevard Saint-Germain in Paris. The extensive menu features a variety of classic dishes including Onion Soup Gratinee, Steak Frites, and Poulet Roti as well as contemporary bistro fare, with dishes such as Shaved Veal Tongue with Mache and Bavette de Boeuf à l’Echalote. A thoughtfully curated wine list and cocktail program perfectly complements the cuisine and creates an environment suitable for romantic dinners or lively group gatherings. In warmer weather, enjoy dining "en plein air" in the stunning outdoor café where you can take in the bustling energy of DC while sipping on the perfect kir royale.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Le Diplomate - Best Restaurants in Logan Circle ›
Le Diplomate reviews from OpenTable diners
1192 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (748)special occasion (621)great for outdoor dining (615)neighborhood gem (601)hot spot (584)great for brunch (454)notable wine list (371)romantic (370)vibrant bar scene (262)good for groups (244)great for lunch (148)late-night find (102)kid-friendly (64)scenic view (39)Show More
- Delicious!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Perfect to the last bite- wonderful choices from appetizers through dessert. Everything was cooked perfectly. Enjoyed a table by the window on a beautiful evening.Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014This was a great restaurant for my husband and I to go to. It was nosier than I expected, but service was good for a busy night and the it has a great atmosphere. Portions were a good little large, but the food was very good.Special Features:
- Good French Bistro in DCSandCVIPDined on 9/20/2014Don't expect fine dining, it's a bistro and a very good one, albeit a tad pricey. The Pâté de Campagne was full of lardon and porky goodness. Beef short ribs came perfectly trimmed and cooked (order this to share, it's HUMONGOUS) with a generous drizzling of excellent demi-glace, and a side of creamed spinach. Parisians would be hard pressed to find fault with the food or ambiance, except in Paris everyone smokes and the tables are tiny, so, Washingtonians come out on top here. Wine list is OK, but not strictly French. Service is prompt if a bit brusque. Baba au Rhum served cold and a bit soggy, not their best effort. Can get a little crowded and noisy on Sat. evening; a nice little place we'd come back to.Special Features:
- Always great!JeanDined on 9/20/2014My favorite restaraunt in DC. Try the foie gras parfait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around fabulousRuthieVIPDined on 9/19/2014This is the second time I've been here and the second time I had a wonderful dining experience. The decor makes you feel like you are in France. The staff is extremely welcoming and attentive--our waiter in particular was extremely good; despite having a full station we felt as though we were his only diners--but everyone from the hostesses to the bartender to the wait staff (even those not waiting on us) treated us like royalty. The wine list is expansive and our selection was delicious, and the food was out of this world. My only complaint was that my skate was a little greasy but that was very minor. A great restaurant overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialRichVIPDined on 9/18/2014Reminds me of an energetic Paris Bistro. Food was outstanding!! Great experience.Special Features:
- GemFcoolsDined on 9/16/2014Great food, honest prices. Nice terrace. Noisy thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeClevelandParkerDined on 9/16/2014Le Diplomate is "the" bistro experience in the area. The ambience is just right. Great spot for a date. It is victim, a little, to the hype (perhaps generated by the WaPo reviews). Its a great destination, and true its vision. Its not an out of this world food experience. Its a bistro. I struggled like crazy to get an on-line reservation, but it seems like people got tables on a weeknight as walk ups. That said, I am really glad for the experience.Special Features:
- A total delight!RewardingDined on 9/16/2014Le Diplomate has pleased us now five straight visits over the past several months. The greeting, ambiance, attentive waitstaff, top taste and presentation all add up to a place to go to often and share with important friends with similar restaurant experience and interests.Special Features:
- c'est fantastiqueklaifimustDined on 9/15/2014Le Diplomate manages to live up to all the hype surrounding it -- truly an outstanding addition to the overdone 14th St corridor. The food was stellar and represents a difficult-to-find niche in DC dining -- authentic French recipes, no fusion about it. Service was courteous, helpful, and real -- the waitstaff are human beings who don't sound like robots reciting bad poems when describing dishes. Be certain to reserve in advance, and perhaps to go fasting --- you will want to eat five meals while there.Special Features:
- MerelVIPDined on 9/14/2014Every time I go to DC which is often I have to eat here at least once. I have sent so many people here they must think I'm on the PR team for Le Diplomate! I love the vibe, the Balthazar-feel, the ambiance, the food, the everything! I'm hooked!Special Features:
- Another perfect brunchDrewDCDined on 9/14/2014Great food (as always), amazing service and cute wait staff. :)Special Features:
- Simply fabulous!outoftenVIPDined on 9/14/2014We thought that Le Diplomate would fall victim to the extreme hype when it first opened, but fortunately it has not. The food is spectacular, the setting wonderful, and the service absolutely perfect. We particularly enjoy their brunch menu on Saturdays and Sundays. May it continue to thrive!Special Features:
- Brunch service fell downTFY1Dined on 9/14/2014Reminded waiter 3 times to bring bread; 1st course forgotten by staff. As we had 9:30 brunch reservation, restaurant wasn't crowded. What happened?Special Features:
- MaggieVIPDined on 9/13/2014The food is just ok, so not sure what all the hype is on this restaurant. Had the mushroom tart and scallops. Both just ok. Scallops were salty.
- Great foodmcka2Dined on 9/13/2014Came with my family over the weekend, great food and ambiance. Service was a little pushy, but ended up being fine.Special Features:
- First Anniversary and Wife BirthdayhsjsDined on 9/13/2014I took my wife on this special occasion to experience Le Diplomat. Reserving a table came with ease. However, I was disappointed with the parking situation, lack of a valet, and the manner our reserved table got dismissed. We were sent to a part of the restaurant where it was noisy, and was not able to enjoy a quiet and soothing atmosphere. The food was extraordinary. We had the American Burger, and the steak. The flavors went very well together. The steak was well-done, moist, and juicy. There was a very distinguished green sauce on the steak which mixed well with the seasoned potatoes. The american burger was fresh and juicy. The burger bun made the dish come together. The desert recommendation, dark chocolate napoleon, was well received.Special Features:
- Took me back to ParisCMKSJ1Dined on 9/13/2014Wonderful food, ambience, decor, service. The only negative is the noise level. My friends and I had to shout to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Burger!Best Foie Gras Parfait!PapaeagleVIPDined on 9/12/2014Don't go here if you're watching your waistline. Better give yourself a break and go here. Start with sharing the Foie Gras Parfait - it's enough for three or four to go crazy over. and then dive into the Burger Americain (Five Guys eat your heart out). Profiteroles and cafe au lair for dessert and you will go home very happy indeed!Special Features:
- Great, as always.jfcdxi135Dined on 9/12/2014My wife and I went for her birthday, and as always, it was a fantastic experience. The Service was fantastic and the food was better. Always a great place to go.Special Features:
- Great food, service & atmosphereck123Dined on 9/11/2014Great food, service, and atmosphere. I absolutely love the decor; it really brings me back to Paris' lovely cafes. For my fellow NY'ers, I would equate Le Diplomate to Pastis. For dinner, my friends and I had the lamb, steak, and sea bass, the creme brûlée, and a bottle of rose -- all of which were marvelous. Highly recommended! Looking forward to going back!Special Features:
- Worth waiting forBrantDined on 9/11/2014it took us six months to get a reservation at 7:15 PM and was worth the wait. do you steak frites was perfectly prepared, and the french fries were and cut and prepared. The soul meuniere was as good as you would get in a fine Paris restaurant. Service was attentive without being cloying, and the atmosphere was that of an authentic Paris bistroSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/11/2014Solid but not spectacular in all categories. I know it's really popular but as someone who lives most of the time in NYC, I don't see what the fuss is about.Special Features:
- Lives up the hypelionsheadVIPDined on 9/11/2014I chose Le Diplomat simply because a reservation was available day-of. They are hard to come by. Now I understand why. Excellent raw oysters, perfect onion soup, exceptional steak frites (far better than your standard hanger steak, and probably the best steak I've had this year) and wonderful profiteroles. Everything was really first rate.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, terrible food.dukeprincessVIPDined on 9/10/2014I went to Le Diplomate for my birthday on 9/10/14. We booked these reservations a month in advance just to ensure we would receive a table for 6. We were quickly escorted to our table and the servers were very attentive. However the food was terrible. My appetizer salad's dressing was laden in salt. I ordered the steak frites and the steak was burnt on the outside and rare on the inside. The meat was tough and not good. My boyfriend had the pork Milanese that was fried tough. Even my friend's duck confit was overcooked. The creme brule I ordered for dessert was more of a dense pudding than a light dessert as it is supposed to be. I think the hype is not warranted for this place and I wouldn't recommend. Birthday dinner ruined.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/10/2014Wonderful experience. I had been there before and the service was not great and I e mailed them. We were their guests this time and the service and extras to make up for bad service last time were amazing! They want to make everyone's time there memorable. The warm shrimp salad and steak frites and Steak a poive was to die for ! Definitely will go backSpecial Features:
- Great experience, great serviceDreaDined on 9/10/2014Really enjoyed my experience at this restaurant. My companions all loved it. The service was outstanding and the hostess was very welcoming.Special Features:
- Greta EveningGolferDined on 9/9/2014We went there, my wife's idea, for my birthday celebration. It reminded me of an old Parisian brasserie. Noisy, but everyone was having a good time. The food was delicious, and the service was among the most friendly, organized and efficient I have ever experienced.Special Features:
- Best there is in DCDrewVIPDined on 9/9/2014Phenomenal French Bistro. Best Bread in Town! Steven Starr has done it again. A not to miss restaurant with a great menu and great food. can;t be beat.Special Features:
- Paris At Its FinestStrad6708Dined on 9/9/2014I have very high expectations when it comes to French restaurants. The best dining experiences of my life have occurred in Paris. I can honestly say I felt like I was in Paris for the evening while dining at Le Diplomate. The french onion soup and beef bourguignon rivaled any I have had in Paris. The ambience was magnificent. Le Diplomate was the perfect setting for an evening with someone very special to me.Special Features:
- Great ambiance for date nightLizDDined on 9/9/2014I went to Le Diplomate with my boyfriend and the restaurant was lovely. We had a very friendly waiter, who explained which items on the menu were gluten free (I am celiac), some fun cocktails and wine, and a great overall experience. We noticed that the tables were mostly occupied by couples, so it definitely has a date night feeling to it. The ceviche wasn't particularly visually pleasing (not latin style ceviche), but the flavor was really delicious, so the food does speak for itself.Special Features:
- Incredable wait staffKatieDined on 9/9/2014Everything about our experience was memorable. The valets retrieved a birthday present from our parked car and brought it to our table. All our entrees were fabulous, and our waiter could tell us about every dish - wine - cocktail on the menu and was instrumental in helping us to the best selections for our various tastes and wants.Special Features:
- French bistro at its bestMissIvyVIPDined on 9/8/2014Great bistro in D.C. severing French classics. We shared the butter lettuce salad and steamed mussels avec frites. The broth with the mussels was perfectly seasoned and very delicious. Two glasses of Cote du Rhone. Everything was excellent! Very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgot birthday candlecm0013aVIPDined on 9/8/2014We had great food and the service was pretty good, but I had called ahead to ask for a candle in our dessert for my boyfriend's birthday and the note didn't get passed along. It was a little disappointing. Still a good experience overall thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated parents to amazing dinnerDiningInDCVIPDined on 9/7/2014This was the perfect place to take my out-of-town French-loving parents for dinner. Despite it being a Sunday night, we absolutely needed reservations- it was packed! Make reservations at least a week in advance. The food was amazing- we tried the mushroom tart (4 small slices) and the 3 cheese appetizer plate. After that, the warm shrimp salad was delicious with a lemon butter sauce. For dinner, we tried the beef bourguignon, salmon, and the scallops. We loved each dish! Even my hard-to-please father enjoyed every bite and complimented the restaurant throughout our dinner. Oh, and don't fill up on the fresh warm bread they bring out to start! I would definitely recommend this as a romantic evening out- though it was quite loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- babybabyDined on 9/7/2014The noise level was too high! It was hard to hear my dinner companions when talking at a normal level. Additionally, I made a reservation for a special event one month prior to my reservation, and we had one of the worst tables in the place! Right in front of the entrance to the kitchen and immediately in front of the bar. Next time I will know to request a better table, but really????????Special Features:
- Disappointed after previous visitsMLouise1Dined on 9/7/2014We were impressed with the food and ambience on several previous weeknight visits. This time on Sunday evening our party of four with out of town guests was a disappointment to us as hosts. The mushroom tart that we had loved had completely changed for the worst. The roast chicken was lukewarm and looked reheated. The music was incredibly loud, and the restaurant chaotic. The experience at Le Diplomate completely changed.Special Features:
- loved iteac51Dined on 9/7/2014Great place-- the waitstaff is top notch, the food is delicious, the setting is perfect. There are ways to keep dinner reasonable in price or go all and splurge on Champagne and a seafood tower! I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip the traditionalOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/7/2014Go for something crazy on this menu. If you just want eggs and sausage there are other places to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never MissesArlgirlVIPDined on 9/7/2014This is my third visit and it's the same old same old: delicious, great service and great decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.