1601 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lediplomatedc.com/
- Phone: 2023323333x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Tuesday 5:00PM to 10:00PM
Wednesday & Thursday 5:00PM to 11:00PM
Friday & Saturday 5:00PM to 12:00AM
Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10:00AM to 3:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Michael Abt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Le Diplomate
Stephen Starr brings his signature brand of hospitality and design to the nation’s capital with the opening of Le Diplomate, located at 14th & Q. Serving lunch, brunch and dinner, the stylish 260 seat restaurant transports diners to the beloved cafés of Boulevard Saint-Germain in Paris. The extensive menu features a variety of classic dishes including Onion Soup Gratinee, Steak Frites, and Poulet Roti as well as contemporary bistro fare, with dishes such as Shaved Veal Tongue with Mache and Bavette de Boeuf à l’Echalote. A thoughtfully curated wine list and cocktail program perfectly complements the cuisine and creates an environment suitable for romantic dinners or lively group gatherings. In warmer weather, enjoy dining "en plein air" in the stunning outdoor café where you can take in the bustling energy of DC while sipping on the perfect kir royale.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Le Diplomate - Best Restaurants in Logan Circle ›
Le Diplomate reviews from OpenTable diners
1194 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (746)great for outdoor dining (615)special occasion (604)neighborhood gem (599)hot spot (579)great for brunch (449)notable wine list (374)romantic (361)vibrant bar scene (269)good for groups (248)great for lunch (144)late-night find (95)kid-friendly (57)scenic view (34)Show More
- Eat here.bullcitycocoVIPDined on 9/28/2014Seriously, if you have the chance, eat here. One of the truly great meals of my life. Definitely pricey, completely worth it!Special Features:
- Not sure what hype is all aboutsandyDined on 9/28/2014For a restaurant that is extremely hard to get a reservation and is packed every day of the week, I was very disappointed in the Steak Frites which is a staple of a French Bistro. The cut of meat was not very good and I have never had it prepared as a thick cut of meat. The bread and appetizers, however, were delicious and my husband's duck was very tasty. The outdoor dining is very nice and almost a must as the inside noise level makes having a conversation very difficult. I think 14th St. has many other more interesting restaurants and would just rate the meal and experience as average. Nice place to go if you live in the neighborhood but not worth a special trip.Special Features:
- If we can't have Paris....OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/28/2014My Husband and I just celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary at Le Diplomat. We went there for our first anniversary as well. Our honeymoon was Paris and Le Diplomat is a taste of Paris just down the road from us. From the food to the service the 2 hours were simply amazing.Special Features:
- Excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/27/2014Great meal and beautiful decor. The only downside was the rushed service, which took away from our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014Food was excellent. It's a happening place, with lots of bustle and noise. Don't go if you want to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really is that good!OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 9/27/2014We had high expectations and went to Le Diplomate for a special occasion. We had a great time and a wonderful meal. Our server was absolutely first rate, all of the food was very high quality. Friendly staff and environment, its clear to see why they are so busy. Their stars are well deserved. We are already planning on our return visit.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014From starters to finale, Le Diplomate has perfected the casual dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceamateurfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014The waiter was very friendly and helpful with suggestions. I've been before and really enjoyed the steak and eggs for brunch; the gruyere omelette didn't really compare. The bread and breakfast potatoes were very good as always though.
- First visit of many to come...ReynoldsVIPDined on 9/26/2014We arrived early and enjoyed extraordinary service, a great table near an open window, a beautiful evening and perfect service! It is just one of those places we will visit over and over!! It does get noisy around 8:30p...when the younger crowd is in full flower!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently yummyJoaniDined on 9/25/2014The bread, burger ans mussels are great as always. The chicken liver foie gras was a nice discovery eventhough it is not a real foie gras (usually made from duck and liver). The desserts were stellar: milk chocolate mousse (called pot de crème) and the crème brulée were worth the treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It!!LKayCDined on 9/25/2014This was my first time going to Le Diplomate- and it was every bit as good as it is hyped up to be. Excellent service and they made my friend's bday a special experience and one she is still talking about.Special Features:
- Portions getting smaller?MartodcdcVIPDined on 9/23/2014Is it me, or the portions are getting smaller? I had the lamb, which I had in a previous occasion, but the portion size was about half...Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ChoiceDCDinerVIPDined on 9/23/2014Not sure why the crowds have disappeared. This remains the top dining spot on the 14th Street corridor. My daily special of lobster risotto was delicious and all guests were equally delighted with their meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itDCNative61Dined on 9/23/2014Fabulous French feel. Beautiful evening so we sat outside. I want to return and sit inside so I can appreciate the décor and feel of vibe of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Finally!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/23/2014I finally was able to make it to Le Diplomate and I was not disappointed. Hands down this was an outstanding meal with incredible service, delicious food and an amazing cheese selection.Special Features:
- still excellentNotCsitsmaVIPDined on 9/22/2014attentive service is still the norm at this gem. great food too.
- Love La Diplomate1SueBVIPDined on 9/22/2014We love everything about this restaurant except the noise level. Even in the garden room, we couldn't hear each other on this visit. Service was great -- permitting me to taste a wine before ordering it & choose another when I didn't care for it.Special Features:
- Great experienceSookieDined on 9/21/2014We had a really good waiter, Roger who was able to make fantastic recommendations on wines, cheeses and food. The deco was delightful, with a Parisien Bistro-styled theme and beautiful wood-and leather furnishings.The food was also delicious! The only very minor issue is perhaps the restaurant could think of including a few more vegetarian options for dinner entrees!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!AbqdinerDined on 9/21/2014Really enjoyed a wonderful dinner here with friends. Beautiful ambiance and delicious food. Top notch service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Returning to a favorite restaurantPGLL2003Dined on 9/21/2014Always wonderful cuisine!!! My favorite restaurant in Washington DC. The Chef is quite talented, the staff is on top of their game and everything on the menu is outstanding!Special Features:
- Le Diplomate; a great French bistroMikeRVIPDined on 9/21/2014Le Diplomate is a singular restaurant experience. It is as good as the best bistros in Paris. It is exactly what Washington DC needed. And it is well placed on the booming 14th street scene. The wine and beer list are exemplary. The food is perfect. I had great New Brunswick Oysters, the best sea bass I have ever tasted bar none. Sea Bass is hard to prepare right. The chef knew what he was doing. I was very happy with my choice. And i had a really great Paris worthy dessert, a Chocolate Napoleon. Complex and mouth watering. I ate in the conservatory section, very romantic and fun. My beer and wine choices were also great. The waitstaff is attentive. I will be going back on every trip to DC. I may even eat there twice each trip.Special Features:
- Always hoppin'OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/21/2014Le Diplomate continues to be a hot reservation and understandably so. The food is reliable, the service decent (though service during our last visit was just ok), and the people watching is fantastic. Oh, and the papmlemousse cocktail is refreshing and enjoyable.Special Features:
- Fantasticrocky8uDined on 9/21/2014Le Diplomate was absolutely fantastic. I will definitely return here whenever I want french food in DC again and will gladly recommend this restaurant to others. I had the braised lamb with couscous, escargot, and the profiteroles. All were fantastic.Special Features:
- Awesome ServiceScotreviewVIPDined on 9/21/2014We went to Le Diplomate again after hearing all the chatter of how wonderful a place it was, hoping it hadn't lost its way amongst the hype. We can happily say we came away with a smile on our face and a full belly. What makes this place is the impeccable and friendly service even in the height of rush hour weekend Brunch. Our server was attentive without being overbearing, knowledgeable (he knew the difference between a British and American Pimms which was great!) and still had time for a quick chat and a smile. We will absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!2dccriticsDined on 9/20/2014Perfect to the last bite- wonderful choices from appetizers through dessert. Everything was cooked perfectly. Enjoyed a table by the window on a beautiful evening.Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014This was a great restaurant for my husband and I to go to. It was nosier than I expected, but service was good for a busy night and the it has a great atmosphere. Portions were a good little large, but the food was very good.Special Features:
- Good French Bistro in DCSandCVIPDined on 9/20/2014Don't expect fine dining, it's a bistro and a very good one, albeit a tad pricey. The Pâté de Campagne was full of lardon and porky goodness. Beef short ribs came perfectly trimmed and cooked (order this to share, it's HUMONGOUS) with a generous drizzling of excellent demi-glace, and a side of creamed spinach. Parisians would be hard pressed to find fault with the food or ambiance, except in Paris everyone smokes and the tables are tiny, so, Washingtonians come out on top here. Wine list is OK, but not strictly French. Service is prompt if a bit brusque. Baba au Rhum served cold and a bit soggy, not their best effort. Can get a little crowded and noisy on Sat. evening; a nice little place we'd come back to.Special Features:
- Always great!JeanDined on 9/20/2014My favorite restaraunt in DC. Try the foie gras parfait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BreakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/20/2014We enjoyed our window seat along 14th. The weather was perfect for the open windows beside us. Our server was great--very attentive and helpful with the menu and the day's specials. As returning customers, we always have a great meal a Le Diplomate!Special Features:
- All around fabulousRuthieVIPDined on 9/19/2014This is the second time I've been here and the second time I had a wonderful dining experience. The decor makes you feel like you are in France. The staff is extremely welcoming and attentive--our waiter in particular was extremely good; despite having a full station we felt as though we were his only diners--but everyone from the hostesses to the bartender to the wait staff (even those not waiting on us) treated us like royalty. The wine list is expansive and our selection was delicious, and the food was out of this world. My only complaint was that my skate was a little greasy but that was very minor. A great restaurant overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialRichVIPDined on 9/18/2014Reminds me of an energetic Paris Bistro. Food was outstanding!! Great experience.Special Features:
- what a disappoinment!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/18/2014Hostess was prompt and friendly. Our waiter was so accomodating and courteous. One of our guests didnt like the first margarita drink. He promptly replaced with another drink. But everything else failed to meet our expactations. My onion was way too sweet. The roasted scallop was not firm and too much of the sour sauce. Dont order the moules frittes. The combination of Mayonnaise and mussels dont mix well together. Do order the foie gras, smooth and melts in your mouth. Just to be fair, I will give it another try but without my friends.Special Features:
- GemFcoolsDined on 9/16/2014Great food, honest prices. Nice terrace. Noisy thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeClevelandParkerDined on 9/16/2014Le Diplomate is "the" bistro experience in the area. The ambience is just right. Great spot for a date. It is victim, a little, to the hype (perhaps generated by the WaPo reviews). Its a great destination, and true its vision. Its not an out of this world food experience. Its a bistro. I struggled like crazy to get an on-line reservation, but it seems like people got tables on a weeknight as walk ups. That said, I am really glad for the experience.Special Features:
- A total delight!RewardingDined on 9/16/2014Le Diplomate has pleased us now five straight visits over the past several months. The greeting, ambiance, attentive waitstaff, top taste and presentation all add up to a place to go to often and share with important friends with similar restaurant experience and interests.Special Features:
- c'est fantastiqueklaifimustDined on 9/15/2014Le Diplomate manages to live up to all the hype surrounding it -- truly an outstanding addition to the overdone 14th St corridor. The food was stellar and represents a difficult-to-find niche in DC dining -- authentic French recipes, no fusion about it. Service was courteous, helpful, and real -- the waitstaff are human beings who don't sound like robots reciting bad poems when describing dishes. Be certain to reserve in advance, and perhaps to go fasting --- you will want to eat five meals while there.Special Features:
- MerelVIPDined on 9/14/2014Every time I go to DC which is often I have to eat here at least once. I have sent so many people here they must think I'm on the PR team for Le Diplomate! I love the vibe, the Balthazar-feel, the ambiance, the food, the everything! I'm hooked!Special Features:
- Another perfect brunchDrewDCDined on 9/14/2014Great food (as always), amazing service and cute wait staff. :)Special Features:
- Simply fabulous!outoftenVIPDined on 9/14/2014We thought that Le Diplomate would fall victim to the extreme hype when it first opened, but fortunately it has not. The food is spectacular, the setting wonderful, and the service absolutely perfect. We particularly enjoy their brunch menu on Saturdays and Sundays. May it continue to thrive!Special Features:
- Brunch service fell downTFY1Dined on 9/14/2014Reminded waiter 3 times to bring bread; 1st course forgotten by staff. As we had 9:30 brunch reservation, restaurant wasn't crowded. What happened?Special Features: