1601 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lediplomatedc.com/
- Phone: 2023323333x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Tuesday 5:00PM to 10:00PM
Wednesday & Thursday 5:00PM to 11:00PM
Friday & Saturday 5:00PM to 12:00AM
Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10:00AM to 3:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Michael Abt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Le Diplomate
Stephen Starr brings his signature brand of hospitality and design to the nation’s capital with the opening of Le Diplomate, located at 14th & Q. Serving lunch, brunch and dinner, the stylish 260 seat restaurant transports diners to the beloved cafés of Boulevard Saint-Germain in Paris. The extensive menu features a variety of classic dishes including Onion Soup Gratinee, Steak Frites, and Poulet Roti as well as contemporary bistro fare, with dishes such as Shaved Veal Tongue with Mache and Bavette de Boeuf à l’Echalote. A thoughtfully curated wine list and cocktail program perfectly complements the cuisine and creates an environment suitable for romantic dinners or lively group gatherings. In warmer weather, enjoy dining "en plein air" in the stunning outdoor café where you can take in the bustling energy of DC while sipping on the perfect kir royale.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Le Diplomate - Best Restaurants in Logan Circle ›
Le Diplomate reviews from OpenTable diners
1187 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (789)neighborhood gem (616)hot spot (603)special occasion (590)great for outdoor dining (588)great for brunch (434)notable wine list (385)romantic (331)vibrant bar scene (263)good for groups (263)great for lunch (152)late-night find (95)kid-friendly (62)scenic view (30)Show More
- Superb Dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/28/2014We've dined there numerous times and always had a great experience. This time was a Tuesday evening we began with the mushroom tart, which I would highly recommend. The special was a superb lobster risotto that was very creamy and loaded with lobster. Save room for the desserts; they are all great. Everything start to finish was wonderful. This has become our "go to" restaurant when we have company in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful French foodVandJDined on 10/27/2014Dined here for the third time and dinner was fantastic as always. The authentic Beef Bourgignon is superb: done perfectly, great flavor, served with heavenly mashed potatoes. Tasted the sea bass and the sauce was yummy. The mushroom soup had a strong mushroom flavor: delicious. As a true chocoholic, I think their chocolate dessert is one of the best I've had anywhere: rich, good quality chocolate. Atmosphere: eating outside is quieter but the wood interior is cosy and warm. Outside was warm enough with the heaters. Music had too much jazz saxaphone; we would've preferred French, low-key. All the servers were friendly, attentive and helpful. Love this place as my go-to French bistro.Special Features:
- Great food & attentive service!KateDined on 10/27/2014I love the ambiance- both the indoor and outdoor seating makes you feel like you are sitting in a large cafe in Paris. The food was amazing- I had the scallops and the creme brulee. Both were very delicious! I also got the French Mablec. Normally malbecs are ruled by the Argentinians, but I made an exception and it was worth it! The service was very attentive- almost too attentive! My water glass must have been refilled 20 times. The attentive service was very nice when I made a comment to my friend that I loved the butter for the bread and shortly after, he brought us more butter- did the waiter hear me!? How did he know!? Anyway, it was amazing and I can't wait to have a reason to come back here!!Special Features:
- Approachable French FoodSchiaramonteDined on 10/27/2014The food was delicious, but not pretentious. The service was excellent and they take time to really explain the menu which is always helpful. We tried the foie gras mousse which came in a generous portion and was so creamy and light. It comes with huckleberry mustard that brings the whole appetizer together. I had the steak frites. The hangar steak was cooked at a perfect medium rare and the French fries are skinny, crispy, and served piping hot. Prices were reasonable and it was nice to see a Cotes du Rhone on the menu for $10 a glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being in Paris again!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/26/2014This is by far our favorite food. Simple, yet perfectly prepared with fresh ingredients. Best service we've had at a restaurant in a while. Great bottle of burgundy from Beaune, great breads, awesome mashed potatoes, all to compliment our veal and chicken entres. A great place to go for great food and service. Bon Appetite!Special Features:
- great food, great serviceSarainglenwoodVIPDined on 10/26/2014Food was reasonably priced, our waiter was fantastic, the table was ready as promised and we will definitely return. The steak frites consisted ouf a nice hunk of steak and a huge portion of frites. The roast chicken was swimming in a delicious gravy and the mashed potatoes were decadent. THe chocolate napoleon was good, but would have benefited from more than the 1/2 tsp of caramel sauce on the place. The highlight of our meal was the bread... we actually ate one and a half baskets!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/26/2014Whenever I plan brunch in advance, Le Diplomate is always at the top of my list. I say advance because you'll definitely want reservations to get in, especially at popular times. It's worth the wait though because the service and the food are both incredible! Their cheese selection is fantastic and their omelets are perfectly cooked every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichardDined on 10/26/2014I heard all the hype about Le Diplomate so was ready to see it in action. I think it must be a better dinner place than brunch. The pastry basket was excellent with some really great choices and flavors, but the main dishes we had were just okay (two of the omelets and the Eggs Norwegian). I'm willing to try a different meal in hopes that it will live up to the hype the next time around.
- Great PlaceDiscerningDinerDined on 10/25/2014Le Diplomate lived up to it's reputation and great reviews. The food was excellent and the service pleasant. The restaurant was very noisy but I had been forewarned so that didn't take us by surprise. Would definitely like to return to try other things on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than impressed with serviceMadisonDined on 10/25/2014We arrived almost 30 minutes before our reservation time, checking in with the hostesses to see if they would be able to seat us early. We ended up being seated more than 10 minutes after our reservation time. The hostesses were not polite and were somewhat abrasive. When we checked in with the hostesses they asked if we would like to sit inside or outside. We said we would would really prefer to sit inside. Needless to say by the time we were lead to our table it was outside. Our server was extremely friendly, but clearly had too many tables. He did not check in with us after our food arrived and we had to look for him for about 15 minutes to get our check. The food was great, but the service will prevent me from coming back.Special Features:
- Arlington EaterArlingtonolrea1Dined on 10/25/2014Always look forward to LeDiplomate. The only difference noted on this visit was that the time between placing order to food on the table seemed longer than usual. That was not necessarily a bad thing as I have felt rushed on other occasions. The steak au poivre was a bit tough. Otherwise, stellar as usual.Special Features:
- Third Time did not disappointMarcusDined on 10/25/2014We had the lamb (neck w/couscous) and scallops preceded by escargot and the foie gras parfait. All were well done. Also enjoyed the house white in the carafe. There has been staff turnover since management opened the restaurant. Continue to recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No disappointment hereecclectictastebudsDined on 10/25/2014Brunch with friends on a Saturday afternoon was fantastic. The place was bustling, but we all felt attended to here. Everyone of us raved about our food and drink choices.Special Features:
- Absolutely abulousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2014This weekend, my wife and I decided to see of this restaurant was worth all hype. We were not disappointed. The food lived up to the hype and the critics. Everything we ate was absolutely fabulous!! The service was impeccable. The atmosphere makes you feel like you are in a bistro in France. I would return just for the bread alone. We definitely plan to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014My husband and I went to Le Diplomate to purchase a gift certificate and decided to have brunch. Upon arrival, we were warmly welcomed, seated immediately and greeted by our server with a great smile. The menu selection was extensive and our food was outstanding. I had the Gruyere Omelette and it was light, fluffy and simply melted in my mouth. My husband had the Steak and Eggs and the petite filet was cooked exactly as he requested, which is not easy with a filet. The breads and croissants were amazing. In our bread basket was the most delicious pecan cranberry bread we ever tasted! This bread was more like a dessert. We enjoyed a beautiful day, excellent service and exceptional food. We look forward to another visit very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service trumps decent foodMarieDined on 10/24/2014What was supposed to be a special birthday celebration turned into a frustrating evening. The food was rated as good by two of us and so-so for the third party. After ordering our wine (a very nice Cote d' Rhone), we sat for about 15 minutes with only water--no bread, no wine. We had to ask twice for our hors d'oevres-- excellent when they came. The side of spinach came to the table after one of us had finished and the others were half-finished the entree...and then only after reminding the waiter and the manager who stood nearby. The manager comped one hors d'oevres & one desert, but that is not enough for any of us to return here. Right now they are not competitive with Fiola Mare, Zaytuna, etc.Special Features:
- Exceeded ReputationJayBVIPDined on 10/23/2014LOVE this place. I've been trying to get in for years when I visit DC. Food was amazing. Sat outside and loved the patio. Service was good. Very accommodating - we arrived really early for our reservation and they moved it up and sat us within 5 mins! I will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor tableChrisDined on 10/23/2014The table we received was very poorly located. It was in a tight corner by the waiter's station. Also, our waiter was not that nice nor was he that attentive.Special Features:
- A great place to have quality foodOmar2VIPDined on 10/22/2014A must visit restaurant in DC for the whole family and for business group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Dining ExperiencebigfootdcDined on 10/22/2014I now understand why all the critics and everyone else to whom I've talked have such good things to say about this restaurant. It's a real delight. I would go back often if I could afford it.Special Features:
- Exemplerary ServicertesmerVIPDined on 10/21/2014My guest was not able to make it but they accommodated me very well. The service was attentive and wonderful, the food great.Special Features:
- Budget a good amount of timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2014This is still a busy establishment a year after it opened (with good food), but beware - your reservation is at their mercy. You could be waiting a good amount of time to sit. Reminded me of the old "Seinfeld" bit: "you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to hold the reservation!"Special Features:
- Great food, chaotic & loudJuly123Dined on 10/21/2014Overall, great food. The steak frites, pepper steak, mac and cheese and spinach are excellent. Wasn't hugely impressed with the lobster risotto though. This visit (third time) I was struck with how loud and chaotic the place is, even on a Tuesday night. I screamed across the small table in the front room to my dining companions, almost losing my voice by the end of the night. I was also exhausted by watching the poor souls waiting for tables at the front door. The outdoor tables are the best bet for avoiding these situations. In short, inside is not a place for anyone over 60 or even slightly hearing impaired. Wonderful service however, and the food almost makes it worth the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GonzoVIPDined on 10/21/2014one of several visits to Le Diplomate, this time I brought a friend who has been wanting to try the restaurant for some time. So I took her and she loved everything about it.Special Features:
- Good Food and ServiceZiPpDined on 10/20/2014We enjoy everything we have had at Le Dip. Service is great, and I just enjoyed one of the best steaks I've had (Steak Au Poive). The skate was also excellently prepared. Love the onion soup and excellent escargot. The only downside to Le Dip is the outrageous noise level. If you can get far back to the left as you enter it is a little quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenom.NYEDinerDined on 10/19/2014That mushroom tart, good lord, it was worth every single calorie as was every other dish we ordered.Special Features:
- Dinner 10.19.2014Tapeworm1Dined on 10/19/2014We arrived early and would have been seated promptly, but we chose to have a drink and wait for a different table instead. The staff members were genuinely friendly and accommodating. Excellent bar service. As for dinner, the foie gras parfait starter we shared (two of us) was superb. The serving is most generous and would be just fine for a group of four. We had no trouble finishing every last bite, however. Our duck and lamb entrees were prepared perfectly and delicious. Excellent, excellent service and a great dining experience all around. Good on the noise level too -- easy to have a civilized conversation in such a crowded, busy spot. No shouting necessary. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic timegoodpizzaDined on 10/19/2014Great restaurant overall. Service and food were great to my expectation. Will definitly return to try other menu items.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminds me of FranceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014We have been travelling in France for 38 years now and Le Diplomate's menu has dishes that remind us of French food trends for all 38 years. The restaurant is very loud and one must shout to be heard, so that is irritating. But, if you want yummy bistro French food, this is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our AnniversaryFoodie4LifeVIPDined on 10/19/2014This was our first visit to the hot new restaurant we'd been reading about. And it was as charming and non-ostentaticious as could be, while retaining a European feel and grace. We mentioned it was our first wedding anniversary as we checked in, and were surprised later by a candle with our dessert and two glasses of champagne. And by the way, the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- KDDEDEDined on 10/19/2014Ordered wine first. It cam after the apertizers. Bread was frozen (really). Main courses fine. Trendy place with adequate food. Not likely to return except perhaps with a large crowd.Special Features:
- Better to watch than to experienceEurotrashDined on 10/19/2014Very crowded Sunday My European guest arrived much earlier than the reservation time and with brought another person with him and yet the young lady at the reception was kind enough to find a table for us. The menu was not what I hoped for but that was my mistake not having checked that on Sundays L. D. has only a brunch menu. The mushroom soup was way too salty (2 of us left it unfinished) When our waiter asked if everything was alright I said yes but the soup was too salty. He said do you want me to change it for you in such a manner that my guest told me say "No, sinon il va cracher dans ma soupe!" The rest was, well, "nothing to write ... about it"Special Features:
- Still a good brunchmjp396Dined on 10/19/2014Our second trip here for brunch. The first with friends, this time as a couple. Enjoyed both visits. The food is good and there is plenty of choice. I've still not tried the steel cut oatmeal so we will be going back.Special Features:
- spinndoctor1Dined on 10/18/2014absolutely great food, great service, outdoor dining--a bit loud. difficult to get reservations but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Dd421VIPDined on 10/18/2014Our server was right when he said, "All the food on the menu is good." I had shrimp cocktail as a starter. It was ice-cold and delicious. Then I had the farro salad as my entree, and chocolate napoleon for dessert. My dining companion had the oysters as a starter (huge!) and the plate of the day (la plat du jour), which was beef short rib. The beef was like butter. Service was very, very attentive. We didn't wait very long for anything to be brought to our table. They seem to try and make you feel like you have your own personal server waiting on you every second. The only downside is, we did feel a little rushed, like they wanted to turn the table over quickly. All in all though, it was wonderful and we'll be back!Special Features:
- Great pickOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Le Diplomate is fantastic. However, as recommended by our waiter, I ordered the beef short rib, which is their Saturday night special, and I was slightly underwhelmed. I thought it was too fatty, and I really had to fight with the meat to pull the fat off. Nonetheless, every other aspect of our experience was amazing! If you don't know what dessert to order, go for the dark chocolate Napoleon.Special Features:
- If names are important...CharlotteDined on 10/18/2014We went to dinner with my son and his partner to celebrate their move to the neighborhood. They wanted to go here because it's a Stephen Starr restaurant, and labels such as that matter to them. Good for them. If that makes them happy, so be it. The restaurant is very noisy. I couldn't hear my wife sitting next to me without being 4 inches from her. Our order was only partially filled. The service was slow, though the servers were mostly pleasant. The food was good, but certainly not extraordinary.Prices were high, though not unexpectedly so. If labels matter, then this is the place for you. If you would rather have a good dinner with good conversation, go elsewhere.
- Best Hamburger in Town?????eatingoutisagoodtimeVIPDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I had lunch on 10/18. We have dined here before. We enjoyed the warm shrimp salad which we shared as a first course. We think that this is about the best item on the menu and it was great. We each got a hamburger based on the notion which our waiter confirmed that the burger is rated the best in town. Our hamburgers were so over salted that they were basically inedible. This was the first time we had ordered this item so we are not sure if this was just a one time error or the normal preparation. A McDonald's Big Mac which has a similar preparation is far superior to the hamburgers that we were served. We will stay away form the hamburger in the future and get something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service amazing foodRRogVIPDined on 10/18/2014Just took a friend that was in town. Minor issue with the food and the server and management went above and beyond to make up for it. The food is absolutely delicious and the staff is incredibly professional. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, excellent servicegtangVIPDined on 10/17/2014Le Diplomate is one of the best restaurants in DC. The food is consistently delicious, the servers are attentive and prompt without being overbearing, and did I mention the food? Our party of 3 ordered the Steak Frites (delicious, flavorful hanger steak served with crispy thin fries), Steak Au Poivre (perfectly seared, served with spinach), and the burger - which tastes like a gourmet Big Mac (in a good way - they used mayo and cheese to complement the beef flavor beautifully). We paired it all with an affordable bottle of Cotes du Rhone and far too much bread. I'll definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.