20 Cosmo Place
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lecolonialsf.com/
- Phone: 4159313600x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30 p.m. - 10 p.m. Friday - Saturday: 5:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Our Lounge is open daily at 5:00 p.m. Sunday - Wednesday closing at 11:00 p.m. Friday - Saturday closing at 2 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Tree Khuu
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music: Monday - Friday from 7:00 - 10:00 p.m.
House DJ: Friday & Saturday nights from 10:00 - 2:00 a.m.
- Special Events: Happy Hour
Serving in the lounge & bar
From our Happy Hour Menu: Selected beers $4, cocktails/wine by the glass $6
A word from Le Colonial
Delight your guests in an evening of fine food and exotic cocktails at our unique venue just off Union Square. Travel through the tropical elegance of 1920s French Colonial Vietnam amidst the sway of palm trees and glow of candlelight. Take in the live music in our lounge, relax outdoors on the veranda or patio, gather friends and family to celebrate a special event or simply treat yourself to a night on the town. Enjoy a variety of event spaces for small intimate groups of 10 to as many as 500 people in the heart of downtown San Francisco.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Colonial reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (106)special occasion (100)romantic (99)neighborhood gem (71)good for groups (64)great for outdoor dining (53)notable wine list (29)late-night find (23)vibrant bar scene (23)hot spot (18)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)Show More
- special treatlouisvilledinerDined on 10/28/2014We invited another couple to join us on a recommendation from other diners.It was a wonderful evening for us and our guests.Beautiful setting, wonderful food and service. Don't miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vietnameseleetaylor242Dined on 10/28/2014Fine dining.......excellent service.........romantic atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Great findbirthdayDined on 10/26/2014The food was excellent. I had the sea bass in banana leaves. The Creme Brule was very good as well. Check out the bar on the second floor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Beautiful interior. Lousy service. Mediocre food. Of five recommended restaurants visited in San Francisco this one was the most disappointing. Would not recommend it. Doorman the best thing about the experience.
- FantasticDanielDined on 10/24/2014Wonderful food and excellent service. Highly recommend the papaya salad and grilled ahi tuna. Will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find off the beaten pathfrequentdinerVIPDined on 10/21/2014You couldn't survive off an alley for 15 years of the food wasn't great. This Vietnamese gem is terrific. Fun drinks is always a plus but terrific foods makes it a must each time I'm in San Francisco. The shrimp and scallop pancake appetizer in lettuce cups was outstanding and worthy of ordering two and a future entree. Rice paper spring rolls were so fresh it was like eating a salad in a roll. Great location, great space. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another WorldjoeliquorVIPDined on 10/20/2014Visiting Le Colonial is a bit like entering another country. The ambiance and bar scene here are the strong points, along with the service. The only slight miss for our visit was the food. It was good, but not exceptional. Also, the cocktail/beer/wine list was out of date, which is only a slight annoyance, but not something I expect from a restaurant at this level.Special Features:
- thought it overratedzdracDined on 10/20/2014There was nothing spectacular about the food and the service was somewhat slow. For the price there are much better places. I wouldn't go back.
- Great serviceFoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014Our server was great! He recommended the wine and food.. And the recommendations were all excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Una muy buena recomendaciónAnnyDined on 10/12/2014Unos amigos nos dijeron que era un lugar de buena comida para una cenita y así fue, bastante rico y con buen ambiente, nos recomendaron un vino blanco que estaba delicioso y el postre también. A pesar de que mi esposo no es fan de la comida asiática, esta le agrado. Muy recomendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/10/2014The food was exciting and delectably. The main dishes were unusual and were seasoned to perfection. The flourless chocolate dessert was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Music PleaseAmbianceCriticDined on 10/10/2014Food and Service were quite good, but the Music was out of character; Boom-Boom music did not fit the quality of the food, service and place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very very good but..liketoeatDined on 10/10/2014I like Le Colonial, I've been there a few times before and have always enjoyed my experience. However, I do feel like the food and prices are a bit overrated. I always think I'm going to leave speechless but I always leave with yeah that was good, can wait for another year to do it. The one thing I love about the colonial however is their lounge, too bad you can't make reservations for that.Special Features:
- HatenoisyVIPDined on 10/8/2014we were a party of 8. Big round table made it hard to pass all the dishes around. Dishes are heavy. But everyone liked it but me. I don't care for family style...don't like passing the plates. Food was good, but I don't think it would be a place where I would say...oh let's go to the Colonial. I just don't like that kind of eating. But I think I was the only oneSpecial Features:
- excellent mealbaculumDined on 10/8/2014Excellent seared duck spring rolls, seared ahi, duck confit. Very good service. What makes this place for me is the floor tiles, which are exactly the tiles I saw all over Saigon 20 years ago.Special Features:
- French, Vietnamese, AmazingDougGDined on 10/1/2014I've been to Le Colonial probably a dozen times. It's a bit of a tradition when I get to SFO, and I never get tired of it. The food is delicious, consistent and beautifully prepared. The ambiance is energetic and up-scape without being stuffy at all. The wine list is extensive with both high-end and middle of the road selections, and the Sommelier is helpful and has, without fail, steered me toward wines that were cheaper and better than the ones on the menu that I knew. I would recommend this to anyone in the downtown area. Great experience and amazing food!Special Features:
- Adorable restaurant, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2014The outdoor patio at Le Colonial is so cute! The food was fantastic too. We had some delicious seafood spring rolls, then I had Chilean sea bass. Everything was delicious and the flavors were creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we'll not return soon...OpenTable Diner Since 1999VIPDined on 9/30/2014other than blackening the lamb chops and including onions where we explicitly asked for none, the food was okay--not memorable, but okay. we had not been here for sometime and in the two years, this spot has deteriorated in both food and service. we'll not return soon...Special Features:
- Le FantasticTomInSFVIPDined on 9/27/2014Le Colonial is one of favorites. Food is always great. Service always great. Huge variety on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- psw123VIPDined on 9/27/2014Great restaurant especially for big groups so you can taste more things. Out of town guests also love it! lots of variety and never had a dish i didn't like. We had tuna, rib eye, chicken, papaya salad with shrimp, spring rolls- not a thing i would order again! Very nice drinks and wine, though i'm not personally much of a drinker. Delightful service. Hadn't been in a few years- but always happy to come back!Special Features:
- Huge service delay with no warninglettucecrisperDined on 9/27/2014Our drinks and appetizer arrived on time. But we had to wait about 40 minutes for the main course, which we didn't receive until 20 min. before our theater reservation, so we had to wolf down our food and run to the theater. Kitchen delays happen from time to time, but Le Colonial failed to respond appropriately: no one informed us of the delay until we flagged down a waitress after waiting a very long time for our food, who apologized that there was something wrong in the kitchen. We were on the verge of cancelling our order when it finally arrived. They should have warned us of the delay before we had to wait too long, and asked if the delay was acceptable or if we needed to cancel our order. We won't eat there again.
- OaklanderVIPDined on 9/27/2014Due to extremely slow service, we ended up having to box our dinners last Saturday evening in order to make our 8 p.m. theater curtain. Besides the service issue, the food was very average for a Bay Area Vietnamese restaurant and not befitting for the attractive dining room. To its credit, Management was apologetic and offered post-theater consideration but we declined.
- Great seafoodSmileVIPDined on 9/26/2014Every item we ordered was so delicious. We started with the tuna tartar and potstickers. For he entree, the lobster and banana leaf wrapped Chilean sea bass. We also ordered the potato noodles with crab and jasmine rice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try It, You'll Like It!ProfessorPaulDined on 9/26/2014An outstanding place, in a somewhat marginal area. The setting inside is glorious, the service excellent, and the food outstanding. The price is also very reasonable for this quality of food! There is nothing not to like here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Union Square restaurantKathyVIPDined on 9/26/2014We went to Le Colonial because the menu looked interesting and it was within walking distance to our hotel (Wyndham Canterbury). There are a lot of good restaurants in San Francisco, so it was great to find one within walking distance! The service was good as well.Special Features:
- Savor this!VisitorDined on 9/18/2014We had a delicious pre-theater dinner at Le Colonial last week. Attentive, professional service by a waiter sensitive to my allergies who found a slight deviation that allowed me to enjoy a salad. Outstanding food, especially the Sea Bass and Shrimp Curry with tamarind. We were raving about it two days later and plotting an early return. The setting and decor takes you far away in a Raffles mood. If you love Vietnamese food, my advice: go to Le Colonial soonest...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very cool placetravsgDined on 9/16/2014Ambiance, food, service are all very, very good. Really cool place with high quality food, flavors and experience.Special Features:
- One of our favorite restaurants!SunshineGirlDined on 9/14/2014I had the Chilean sea bass. Each bite was a burst of flavors...absolutely scrumptious! My husband had the pork shoulder. The sauce was to die for! We loved the ambience, the service, and the décor. One of the best in San Francisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failslovethaifoodVIPDined on 9/13/2014We are foodies. Had several really great meals at Le Colonial. This one was no exception. The food is simply dazzling. This was a birthday dinner and we had an app, a salad, and three main courses and shared. All were fit for royalty. The sea bass is a dish we've had before and it repeated its performance. We love this place. It is a pricey, but you get the value and taste for your money. We'll be back for another ocassion. Not sure why my review nickname is "lovethaifood"- must have used that once and can't get rid of it!Special Features:
- Not worth the high pricebayareadinerDined on 9/13/2014Food was good, but not remarkable and not as would be expected for the high price. My spouse would have appreciated to have been told that our appetizer and her choice of entree were essentially the same dish, so she could have ordered something else. I enjoeyd the dessert but wish it was served with the espresso that came at least ten minutes before. This place probably caters more to tourists than locals.Special Features:
- Yummy Dinner, As UsualBarbiVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a lovely dinner at Le Colonial. As usual, we ordered the potstickers and they were delicious. My husband, as usual, had the fish wrapped in banana leaves...and he told me it was delicious. I ordered, as usual, the shrimp in coconut sauce...and it was delicious. Sad to see that the ice cream that we usually order, our favorite ice cream flavor (chocolate/coconut?) is no longer offered. Excellent and attentive service.Special Features:
- Nothing specialDobiVIPDined on 9/12/2014Had the sea bass wrapped in banana leaf. Supposed to be the signature dush. Fish was overdone and tasteless.
- Consistently a great experienceRSUTBDined on 9/8/2014I've been fortunate enough to dine at Le Colonial several times, so it's about time I provided feedback. The French-Thai fusion menu is one of the best I've ever encountered. Better yet, after all these visits, I can happily say there is not a weak link in the entire list. Upstairs cocktails first--the house brews are original and tasty--is the way to go, even if it is one of the special dance night events pulsing over the balcony. I mean, who can get annoyed at enthusiastic (and nattily dressed) swing dancers as you sip a signature mojito? The dining room can be tight on space, and it's testimony to the ambiance and food that it's busy without being overwhelming on a Monday. But the food... the food. All of the food. Special event venue.Special Features:
- Same as what I rememberedladiesweekendVIPDined on 9/8/2014I haven't been in several years but when my college roommates came to town for a reunion, I thought Le Coloniel would be a nice choice because of their location. I knew we'd be shopping in Union Square and I remembered how beautiful the patio was. Food was very good.Special Features:
- Transported to 1920 SaigonMisscebuDined on 9/4/2014This place is fantastic! The decor and ambiance are exotic and mysterious, the service impeccable, the food- simply divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, but decent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2014I took my gf here for her birthday. The drinks were good, if expensive. Some dishes, like the pork belly, were very tasty, and others (like the spring rolls) were nothing special at all. Our waitress provided par service but was unable to give us recommendations. For the price, I would've expected better food and better service.Special Features:
- In need of basic service skillsOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/31/2014The food is excellent, and that's why you should come here. But for an upscale restaurant, they have forgotten some basics. The waiter didn't know anything about the drinks list, they were out of 1/3 of their by-the-glass wines, and it appears they have no sommelier since there are random dogs listed among some great $500 options. A half bottle of champagne and a whiskey took 15 min to arrive, and they tried to serve our appetizers before our drinks. Other than these few service inconveniences, the food was spectacular. I would love to see this chef open a food truck.
- Overpriced/unauthentic Viet foodcornutzDined on 8/30/2014one of my regretable dining experiences yet as the food first and foremost was overpriced ($250 dinner spent for family of 2 adults and 2 young kids) and even worse didn't taste as good as a corner Pho shop where I would be more fullfilled spending only $40. Food were in very small portions, so much so that my wife and I wanted to go eat a Banh Mi sandwich after our dining experience; Lobster specialty was unseasoned and plain with barely any salt, Banana fish had an unusual taste and smell, Ca Kho To plate is normally cooked with Catfish but Salmon was used instead and it didn't taste right, plus it was overly oily. I also struggled to get a refill on my Coke drink as well. Not very diverse and certainly not for a Vietnamese dining family.Special Features:
- Nice venue, medicocre foodLoveSFDiningDined on 8/28/2014The location was convenient for pre-theatre dining. The building is lovely and the staff professional and courteous, but the food was mediocre. We ordered the glass noodles with crab and found two small pieces of crab! Flavors were pretty bland--we have much higher standards in this foodie city!Special Features:
- Le Colonial-Outstanding!CesarTDined on 8/23/2014I have not dined at Le Colonial in 2 years and on Saturday night, I was not disappointed. The service was outstanding, staff attentive and vibe was great! Some notes - their Ca Hap La Chuoi (Steamed Chilean sea bass wrapped in banana leaves) was incredible - the Chilean sea bass and glass noodles were cooked to perfection in their banana leaf package; ; Ca Thu Nuong - the Grilled Ahi tuna was perfectly seared and at first I was skeptical about the pairing of fingerling potatoes with Ahi, but it works! and finally we included their Com Chien Le Colonial -wok-fried Jasmine rice w/ fried egg, etc. - solid as always. For dessert, we had their bread pudding-an item our waiter kindly suggested , plus Vietnamese coffees. Outstanding!Special Features: