20 Cosmo Place
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lecolonialsf.com/
- Phone: 4159313600x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30 p.m. - 10 p.m. Friday - Saturday: 5:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Our Lounge is open daily at 5:00 p.m. Sunday - Wednesday closing at 11:00 p.m. Friday - Saturday closing at 2 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Tree Khuu
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music: Monday - Friday from 7:00 - 10:00 p.m.
House DJ: Friday & Saturday nights from 10:00 - 2:00 a.m.
- Special Events: Happy Hour
Serving in the lounge & bar
From our Happy Hour Menu: Selected beers $4, cocktails/wine by the glass $6
A word from Le Colonial
Delight your guests in an evening of fine food and exotic cocktails at our unique venue just off Union Square. Travel through the tropical elegance of 1920s French Colonial Vietnam amidst the sway of palm trees and glow of candlelight. Take in the live music in our lounge, relax outdoors on the veranda or patio, gather friends and family to celebrate a special event or simply treat yourself to a night on the town. Enjoy a variety of event spaces for small intimate groups of 10 to as many as 500 people in the heart of downtown San Francisco.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Colonial reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (95)special occasion (93)fit for foodies (92)neighborhood gem (65)great for outdoor dining (58)good for groups (51)notable wine list (24)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (19)hot spot (13)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (8)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Le Colonial-Outstanding!CesarTDined on 8/23/2014I have not dined at Le Colonial in 2 years and on Saturday night, I was not disappointed. The service was outstanding, staff attentive and vibe was great! Some notes - their Ca Hap La Chuoi (Steamed Chilean sea bass wrapped in banana leaves) was incredible - the Chilean sea bass and glass noodles were cooked to perfection in their banana leaf package; ; Ca Thu Nuong - the Grilled Ahi tuna was perfectly seared and at first I was skeptical about the pairing of fingerling potatoes with Ahi, but it works! and finally we included their Com Chien Le Colonial -wok-fried Jasmine rice w/ fried egg, etc. - solid as always. For dessert, we had their bread pudding-an item our waiter kindly suggested , plus Vietnamese coffees. Outstanding!Special Features:
- Dinner at Le ColonialOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/23/2014Our server recommended great dishes. All of the food was wonderful. Very nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmostphereSFdinerVIPDined on 8/18/2014Food could have been better for the price we paid, but atmosphere and service were great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/15/2014Excellent and interesting food. Great staff. Patio is lovely.Special Features:
- Ok, but not outstandingcloudyDined on 8/15/2014We came here several times before we got a little disappointed last Friday. Chef's appetizer platter was very average, some selections were dry. Almost like they were a little old. Prawn curry for main course - not good. It used to be really tasty, this time it was watery and tasteless, very surprising. We had 4 other main courses, they were good. Overall - not as good as it used to be, sadly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findDiningwithkids5Dined on 8/14/2014Delicious food and nice quiet atmosphere. Not suitable for dining with kids, but great for romantic dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Takes you back to SaigonPamelaDDined on 8/12/2014Lovely ambiance. Attentive service. The food was good, but not remarkable. And a bit pricey.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014We had a lovely evening , dinner was perfect and service very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- memorable ambiance so so foodWesMeloneDined on 8/11/2014I had an early dinner with an out-of-town friend I had not seen for years. We sat outdoors under a canopy of flowering trees with the sound of trickling water fountain. Service was courteous but the waiter we had was a bit rigid. The food was perhaps least memorable. French Vietnamese is my favorite food and I have been to Le Colonial many times previously. It seems that their food has gone down or I got picky. Nothing was bad per se, but nothing sparkled either. The ambiance made up for what was lacking in food, though. A cup of tea would have sufficed.Special Features:
- Colleen A.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014This was our second dining experience at Le Colonial and it was again fabulous. The food is wonderful. The setting is quiet and elegant. We very much enjoyed our evening. We will definitely return when we next visit SF.Special Features:
- Great food our first night in SFsnbvtDined on 8/9/2014The food was delicious. There were wonderful options to choose from. The service was excellent. Happy we found this place.Special Features:
- LeColonial's great ambiance & foodMaryannDined on 8/5/2014Truly Le Colonial is a special occasion gem of a restaurant on tiny Cosmo Place just near Union Square. That's part of what makes it so special! Harkens back to the olden days in what I picture Vietnam to have been. The upstairs lounge feels so tropical and lush, and is a very comfortable place to relax and have a drink or while waiting for your table. The dining area in the outside courtyard is my favorite place to dine because of all the natural light and tropical feel. And THE FOOD is and always has been extremely tasty, creative and exquisite - coconut prawns, ahi tuna, brussel sprouts and glass noodles. Le Colonial is a quiet respite in a very active part of town. I love dining there every time I do so. Great for quests, tooSpecial Features:
- My favorite for visiting friendsjodolDined on 8/1/2014Le Colonial is the restaurant I always recommend to visitors. It has an interesting ambiance, unusual but delicious menu, and an excellent mixologist and bar upstairs. The live vintage-style music (Mon-Thurs) is not over-amplified (as one finds in most other bars) and there is an entertaining set of dancers to join or enjoy watching.Special Features:
- A bit on the sweet sideEddieVIPDined on 7/25/2014The food at Le Colonial, at least what I ordered, seemed on the sweet side, although it was very well prepared. But sweet Asian food is one of my pet peeves -- I really like things that are more savory.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brussels Sprout...NJO1815Dined on 7/24/2014Must try the brussels sprout dish... Could not decide the best dish... all always taste great...
- Facebook Approvedluv2travelDined on 7/18/2014Having received numerous recommendations to try Le Colonial from friends via Facebook, I was interested to see if it would live up to the test. It did with flying colors! I was even more excited to know the restaurant was within walking distance from our hotel, Hilton Union Square. It made for a pleasant 3 block walk from our hotel. We made a 9pm reservation and decided to eat indoors even though outdoor seating was available. The staff and service were excellent and very knowledgeable about the menu. There were four of us in our party so decided to order several appetizers which were all excellent. The waiter surprised us with the most delicious dessert, chocolate brownie after hearing it was a special occasion for us. 5 stars thanks FB!Special Features:
- might be slippingDiningDuoVIPDined on 7/18/2014Have had dinner here at least 4 or 5 times and this latest time was very mediocre. On top of that, our waiter tried to up-sell us more food several times which is always a major turn-off for me.Special Features:
- Awesome classic restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014Le Colonial is one of my favorites in SF. The food is always fantastic. The service is great. And the ambience is always pleasant. It's a neighborhood gem! I recommend it to all my friends. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kim4325VIPDined on 7/17/2014We ordered and shared Cha Gio Tom Cua, Banh Xeo, Goi Ca Thu, Ca Ri Tom and Ca Hap La Chuoi dishes. The food was outstanding, very authentic and flavorful. I was especially impressed with service and how attentive the waitress was. She was very helpful in helping us selecting some of these authentic Vietnamese dishes. The also had a nice music band playing upstairs by the bar. It was a joy to hear some swing musics with great dancers. I will definitely come back and try different dishes.Special Features:
- Terrific surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014Had this recommended to me and took a client there for dinner and was amazed at the ambiance and the food was terrific. The portions were not huge so keep that in mind if you are going there very hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Franco-Vietnamese restaurantBerkeleyDined on 7/13/2014This is an excellent restaurant within easy walking distance of Union Square, set behind Post St. Food, service and ambiance all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique experience in a hidden spotmrbearDined on 7/12/2014This restaurant is slightly off the beaten path near Union Square. Walking through the front gate, I felt transformed into a different time. They have open air tabels in front, and a variety of experiences in the inside. We had called ahead to let them know we ran into traffic and would be a little late. When we arrived 20 minutes after our scheduled time, they had canceled our reservation. However, since they were not full at the time, they offered to seat us. Took a little negotiating to get a good table. Once seated, they treated us well. The menu had some unique dishes I hadn't seen outside of SE Asia. We had the sea bass in banana leaves and the Surgeon. Also had the crab cakes. All Excellent! Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but not incredibleFizzleDined on 7/12/2014We ate an early dinner last Saturday. The food was good but not exceptional. The seafood potstickers were disappointing (too doughy perhaps), and the brussel sprouts were too sweet. The ahi main dish was excellent. The restaurant was empty when we arrived, so one loud-talker across the room could beheard distinctly. On the flip side, the tables are very densely packed, so there is zero privacy once it gets busy. Service was excellent. Lastly, it is close to Union Square, so it was a great spot for pre-theater dinner especially because it has parking.Special Features:
- Not so great!janandjuneDined on 7/11/2014We wait so long for someone to come and take our orders. The food is ordinary and pricely.
- DisappointingApsaraDudeVIPDined on 7/10/2014I've been to Le Colonial in NYC and was expecting something similar in SF. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. The building looked cool from the outside but the outdoor dining area has back alley views and was not well decorated or appointed with plantings. The interior looked dark, cavernous and claustrophobic. The crispy Dungeness crab rolls in lettuce was tasteless and I didn't note any crab. The shrimp with vegetables main course was anemic with few tiny shrimp and an equal portion of eggplant, mushroom and onions. If it weren't for the rice I had to order and pay for separately, I would have left hungry, not just disappointed. SF is full of great restaurants. I would recommend going elsewhere.Special Features:
- MergatroydeDined on 7/7/2014I love Le Colonial in Manhattan, and I've just discovered that Le Colonial in San Francisco is just as special. Warm, inviting Victorian-era decor; a fantastic walled outdoor space (with cozy heat lamps and a glass roof); a supercool upstairs lounge with live jazz -- I would go even if the food were medicre. But the food is spectacular. I have eaten everything on the Manhattan Le Colonial menu more than once, and it is all fresh, interesting and delicious. The menu in San Francisco is almost identical, and the food is equally delectable. Some reviews caution that some dishes would benefit from a higher level of spice, but I've found that the addition of chili-based sauces, always offered, brings up the heat when I'm in the mood. A+++!Special Features:
- A wonderful find!patrickdDined on 7/6/2014My fiancée & I live an hour and a half away from San Francisco. We take weekend trips into the city at least once every two months. This past 4th of July (2014) weekend we dined at Le Colonial. Bottom line- this place is a gem! The ambiance was so warm via the lighting. The food was well prepared and featured dishes many Vietnamese places usually don't have. The drinks were strong and tasy. It wasn't so busy that you couldn't hear the person next to you talk. I will definitely return to Le Colonial in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly cookedPDXFoodiesDined on 7/3/2014We had the pork spare ribs and ahi salad to start, delicious! For dinner we had the duck and the sea bass, both were spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect PlaceluvbowsDined on 7/2/2014Le Colonial has it all. Fun decor, wonderful food, great service and perfect location to eat and then walk to plays at the Curran!Special Features:
- Not Viet food; not sure what it isneedbigpantsVIPDined on 7/1/2014Whatever you want to call this food, don't call it Viet. It has very little resemblance to actual Viet food. You're in California, of all places, too. Come for the tourist trap faux- French colonial decor, but that's about all that can be recommended about this place. Food was overpriced. Drinks are boring and overpriced. Big let down.
- Alameda99Dined on 7/1/2014Great location and ambience. The service was only fair--had to flag down the waiter three times. The good was uniformly bland and tasteless (and very overpriced). They appear to use no herbs or other seasonings in the preparations. If you have tastebuds, avoid this place.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/1/2014We have been there before and enjoyed the food and atmosphere. It is nice to know there are still restaurants in San Francisco where the tables are not on top of each other...where people can carry on a conversation without someone sitting at the next table hearing it or vice versa.Special Features:
- Not up to parBarbiVIPDined on 6/28/2014We eat dinner here quite often and this last experience was disappointing. It took more than 1/2 hour for our appetizer to arrive. Yes, the potstickers were delicious... the wait was annoying since the dining room was only about 1/3 full. I ordered what I always have: the coconut shrimp with eggplant, mushroom and mango. The "so-called mango" in this dish consisted of three very hard (too hard to even cut with my knife!) unrecognizable items...which might have been very under-ripe mango. I notified the waitress...and someone brought out a nice plate of ripe, juicy mango. When we wanted to order our favorite ice cream...chocolate-coconut-almond-fudge... we were told that none was available. Manager removed the cost of my main dish.Special Features:
- Delicious! Thank You - Excelent!1rpbDined on 6/27/2014Excellent, very flavorful & well presented. We had the special seafood soup and the salmon dishes. They were out of Gelato, but comp us - very delighted. WE WILL RETURN!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great classic restaurantLunchGoerVIPDined on 6/26/2014Wonderful evening of great food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- General manager wrecked the eveningBusinessdiner1Dined on 6/25/2014General manager acted indifferenct had we visited or not. Questioned and doubted us re our reservations that he since later found. Unprofessional and rude. Rest of staff was excellentSpecial Features:
- Delicious!CraftyGirlDined on 6/21/2014Still a favorite but this time we sat at a table near the hostess stand. Experienced a different perspective from this vantage point. Staff should realize that their activities are even more noticeable when guests are dining nearby. Overall it was actually quite entertaining, though our service was very slow and we were mostly forgotten in our corner. We were originally seated in the main dining area but as my husband was on call we discovered his phone was not receiving signal due to the old concrete and chicken wire walls. We asked to be seated near a window or outside. The maitre'd didn't seem to pleased but accommodated us eventually. Food was nice but we decided that we have had tastier experiences in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2014I hadn't been here for a number of years, but will get back soon. Great ambiance, food is superb, and the service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGNudoPartyOf2Dined on 6/19/2014The food was some of the best I experienced while in San Francisco. The restaurant is a hidden gem located near Union Square. The service was just ok... very polite but felt a bit as though they wanted us in and out... we had to ask for a second drink and were not asked if we wanted a third, due to the fact we were on our honeymoon I would have liked a third drink but decided against it due to the feeling that they wanted us out asap. But the food was AMAZING!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- great Father's day celebrationcarazyVIPDined on 6/15/2014Always enjoy dining at Le colonial. The ambiance is unique and the food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.