149 E. 57th St
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lecolonialnyc.com/
- Phone: 2127520808x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch is served in the main dining room Monday through Friday
12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Dinner is served in the main dining room Monday through Sunday
5:30 - 10:30 Sunday - Thursday
5:30 – 11:00 Friday – Saturday
The lounge is open at
Monday through Sunday
4:30 - 11:30 Sunday - Thursday
4:30 – 12:00 Friday – Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Vietnamese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Ronald Wingwee Hsu
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have hosted events off-site, where we provide food for larger scale events, consisting of passed hors d'oeuvres and buffet-style dinners.
- Private Party Facilities: Our lounge, located on the second floor, is the ideal setting for private events. For small groups (of 30), we screen off the rear lounge with palm trees to create a semi-private area. Larger groups may rent the entire lounge for cocktail parties or dinners.
- Entertainment: Music in Lounge
- Special Events: inquiries online are available at: http://www.tripleseat.com/venues/new-york/le-colonial-1
A word from Le Colonial
Le Colonial is a truly delightful culinary experience. Like stepping into French Colonial Southeast Asia, this two-story restaurant, designed by Greg Jordan, consists of a main dining room with louvered wall panels, colorful tile floors, and vintage photos of Vietnam. Upstairs is an elegant, but lively, lounge serving a full dinner or just appetizers and cocktails. The lounge serves as an ideal setting for private parties and business dinners. Chef Ronald Wingwee Hsu serves an authentic Vietnamese menu with an emphasis on fresh seafood, meats, and vegetables.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Colonial reviews from OpenTable diners
245 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (114)fit for foodies (107)neighborhood gem (101)special occasion (93)great for lunch (53)good for groups (41)notable wine list (22)late-night find (20)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (11)great for brunch (10)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Romantic InterludeRumDogDined on 10/19/2014I love Le Colonial. Have been there three times over a 15 year span, and it is always charming. The food and service are very good, but the ambience is truly special. French Vietnam circa 1954. Like stepping back into a Graham Green novel. Or if you're with a romantic partner, like inhabiting the scenes from The Lover, the gorgeous erotic movie made from the Marguerite Duras novel of the same name. The aubergine appetizer with baby shrimp was both complex and subtle, and the beef stew and duck entrees were stellar. And the finish of honeydew sorbet and fresh cinnamon ice cream was other-worldly. We felt like we'd been on a journey to another place and another time. MemorableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereLilibirdDined on 10/18/2014This is a favorite. Start with a drink in the beautiful bar upstairs. The mood is mellow but sophisticated and lively without being loud. Then the dinner downstairs is in an equally great setting with just the right balance of a lively environment without being loud. The food is great and doesn't make you feel like you've eaten too much. Great wine list.Special Features:
- ExcellentMArioDined on 10/17/2014Food is tasty, well presented and never too overwhelming.Special Features:
- Perfect date nightExcellentVIPDined on 10/17/2014Everything from the appetizers (Pho was excellent) to the main courses was extraordinary. The service was professional and courteous. We were seated promptly at our reservation time of 8pm. Highly recommend the sea bass - the servers suggestion of rice was spot on - it really helped soak up the sauce. The wine list was good but limited. Not a complaint just what I noticed and we found a great Boudreaux.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's the hurry?ShyDiVIPDined on 10/17/2014We had an early reservation 6:45 and perhaps they were trying to turn the table quickly? Food was served promptly and cleared while I was still chewing! Inexcusable! Food was good but we Felt very rushed. Not a relaxing meal.Special Features:
- Never disappointsLouiseVIPDined on 10/13/2014Stepping into Le Colonial is like finding yourself in Southeast Asia. The decor, the ambiance and the mood transport, the service is outstanding, the food never disappoints. There is a prix fixe menu with many of the same dishes on the a la carte menu but I love the aubergines appetizer on the regular menu (now prepared in a new way but tasting just as good as ever) and the salmon, served as the chef thinks appropriate (medium rare). All items are reasonably priced and the atmosphere makes one want to return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a little shortMaddiVIPDined on 10/11/2014Appetizer was very good but main course and dessert were just bland.
- Overall great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014The tables were small and only two waiters in fairly large restaurant so It was hard to get their attention. The food was hit and miss. There were four of us and each ordered an appetizer and an entree. It was random, someone's appetizer was totally generic and the other was phenomenal. The ambiance is fun and they have a great selection of wines.Special Features:
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 10/8/2014this restaurant has been around for a long time, and the food has remained consistently good. my shrimp and scallop dish with vegetable slaw was delicious, as was the monkfish appetizer make into an entree. the service was quick, but a tad pushy (constantly offering more drinks before we halfway done with the existing)Special Features:
- DisappointingMadamexDined on 10/5/2014I was so excited to learn that the chef from Le Bernadin was working at this restaurant. The food was sadly mediocre. The pho, a signature dish, was lukewarm, the okra was greasy, and the shrimp chips were barely edible. Over all it was a very uninspired meal from a restaurant that we used to enjoy frequenting.
- Pleasant ExperiencePoppisgirlsDined on 10/4/2014The place was wonderful. Excellent food and service that was very much enjoyed without all the noise that you usually hear in most restaurants that size.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014My wife and I dined in the lounge 2 years ago and this time found the lounge ambiance very inviting still. The food is excellent and makes for a delightful late-night evening after a show where the lights and music are low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicWineguy7Dined on 10/3/2014There is an understated elegance to the food and ambiance here, with its embodiment of the French colonial period in Southeast Asia. The indigenous flavors have been tamed by French technique and restraint, but not neutered, and the concise menu is filled with dishes whose description inspire a robust appetite. Meat and seafood offerings are turned out with equal skill. Worth the visit!Special Features:
- Yummy!Miele2VIPDined on 10/1/2014Every dish was delicious and unique. Service was lovely. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/26/2014The appetizers were amazing! Duck was very good but more cooked than I prefer.Special Features:
- A sure bet...DominiqueDined on 9/20/2014I have been quite a few times over the years to Le Colonial for business lunches, but that was my first time for dinner. And I was not disappointed. Food is excellent and creative, service is impeccable and attentive. The decor of an old colonial mansion is fairly relaxing. I's a tad expensive, but worth it.Special Features:
- Great foodRudy2411Dined on 9/19/2014Went with a friend from Singapore to an oriental restaurant - always a challenge, but Le Colonial was a good pick. Innovative fusion menu with reasonable vegetarian choices. Must confess it has a somewhat 'senior' vibe - but then the name is Le Colonial !Special Features:
- Would like to go againMcDeeDined on 9/19/2014We had desert and coffee at old fashion bar up stairs where is more quiet. The food was very nice and a bit over priced. It was surprising they didn't have coffee beans for Sambuca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interview dinnerSallyGirlDined on 9/19/2014We chose the restaurant as it is traditionally good for conversation, with great food and service. This evening we were seated very close to a table which hosted individuals with rather loud voices. I understand that this is not the norm here. Additionally, the service seemed less seamless than normal. We will most certainly continue to consider this a great place to go for great food, and assume that it was just an odd off night. As always, the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014I loved the Le Colonial in San Francisco and thought that this would be equally good bit was disappointed. The food is fine, but nothing great.
- Tasty Vietnamese CuisineelisacamisaDined on 9/17/2014Great go to restaurant centrally located for light fare for fans of Southeast Asian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodFronnieDined on 9/14/2014We have never been to Le Colonial in New York, but have been several times to the Chicago Location...we truly enjoyed both and had a great meal with great service! A great find for us!Special Features:
- A Twenty First Century Film NoirbobbarbaraVIPDined on 9/13/2014As one who saw many film noirs set in South Asia in the 40's and 50's it's always a trip walking into an elegant "Saigonese" restaurant in 2014 which only only lacks a young Robert Mitchum dining with a beautiful woman. Oh yes, and the food and service is everything that one can ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sill Going StrongRockyroadVIPDined on 9/12/2014Le Colonial keeps on ticking- providing great food & service. Consistency is the key although the menu has changed the food and service remain very high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2014Extraordinary experience. Attentive to our special needs. Food exceptional and unique menu. Ambience wonderful. Delightful in every way.Special Features:
- Great cocktails but slow service...MissFoodieDined on 9/9/2014On arrival we were seated quite quickly in this beautifully decorated colonial style restaurant. The waitress took a while taking our order as it seemed she was the only one serving the tables. The lychee cocktail I had was excellent. The best one so far out of 6 days/6 lychee cocktails in NY. Eventually the waitress took our order. The duck spring rolls were overcooked and the prawn rolls were bland. Thk goodness for the peanut sauce. The mains though were excellent. We had the fillet mignon with yams and the prawn/scallop dish. Very tasty. We didn't have dessert because it seemed like everything was taking too long. This poor waitress had about 15 tables to deal with as it seemed there was no one else around to help.
- Always lovely.AndiamoVIPDined on 9/8/2014The upstairs lounge is THE place to eat here, like stepping onto a colonial plantation. Peaceful, good music in the background, low lighting, fun furniture and really good Viet food! You pay a price for this, but the quality is high.Special Features:
- Exotic ambiance & delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2014Loved it and will return again. It's one of our favorites.Special Features:
- Outstanding food in beautiful placeyvanDined on 9/6/2014The food was incredibly fine, with subtil flavors from a sophisticated cooking. The place is very pretty with an ancient colonial decoration. The service is efficient and polite but not as outstanding as you can expect after having tasted the food - it can be a bit rude and uncaring. We have been freezing too during the whole dinner probably because of the table being located too close from the AC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatJoeFDined on 9/5/2014Every time we're in NYC we eat here. That's for about 10+ years. Originally recommended by antique dealer on 57th. We always enjoy the food and atmosphere. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EGLBSVIPDined on 9/3/2014delicious vietnamese food in an attractive setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a Taste of SaigonPankoVIPDined on 8/29/2014We've been to Le Colonial before, and each time has been very nice. Tonight we ordered from the a la carte menu, and were very pleased. The kitchen prepares its food meticulously, and the dishes are very elegant. The flavors are authentic but subtle. It's the subtlety that disappoints me a bit. I would prefer bolder flavors, bolder dishes, food that would be more "alive." Nevertheless, this is a good choice for Vietnamese in Manhattan. It's a hot spot at night, the decor is definitely reminiscent of Vietnam, and service is sharp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosfera gradevole, niente di piùKlingsor7Dined on 8/22/2014Un bell'ambiente che contribuisce all'atmosfera gradevole. Il cibo buono ma non eccezionale.Special Features:
- Delicious meal, lovely atmosphereSammamishMomDined on 8/21/2014We ate an excellent meal here. We shared the appetizers and main courses across the four of us. Best appetizers were ribs and vegetarian spring rolls. Best mains were shrimp and scallop salad and the tenderloin. Recommend the ho chi Minh shuffle cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed with pre-fixeTastyBitesDined on 8/20/2014Should have ordered from menu for a more balanced review. The pre-fixe was being offered after restaurant week. Not very interesting. I always return to Le Colonial in Chicago, though. NYC seems to have less menu options.
- Sill Going StrongRockyroadVIPDined on 8/20/2014After celebrating their 25th anniversary it still is a top ranked restaurant. Consistency is the key. Now offering a $22 price fixe lunch and a $38 price fixe dinner all year long. This is a WINNERSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/20/2014I really enjoyed the three course lunch menu. Wonderful flavors and nice presentation. Excellent service as well.Special Features:
- Exactly what I was looking forWeintime87VIPDined on 8/17/2014Went in late not know about it on a Sunday night, it was low key with great music, the service was incredible and very accommodating. The food was great and so was the wine. I don't normally write reviews but this place was such a great experience I had to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- design4nowDined on 8/17/2014Ambience and decor is great. Service is impeccable. The menu is creative and interesting and the food is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner, Great ValuewellssbVIPDined on 8/16/2014Except for the banana desert, which was burned, the food was delicious and the service and atmosphere wonderful. This restaurant has maintained its standards over the years.Special Features: