149 E. 57th St
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lecolonialnyc.com/
- Phone: 2127520808x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch is served in the main dining room Monday through Friday
12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Dinner is served in the main dining room Monday through Sunday
5:30 - 10:30 Sunday - Thursday
5:30 – 11:00 Friday – Saturday
The lounge is open at
Monday through Sunday
4:30 - 11:30 Sunday - Thursday
4:30 – 12:00 Friday – Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Vietnamese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Ronald Wingwee Hsu
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have hosted events off-site, where we provide food for larger scale events, consisting of passed hors d'oeuvres and buffet-style dinners.
- Private Party Facilities: Our lounge, located on the second floor, is the ideal setting for private events. For small groups (of 30), we screen off the rear lounge with palm trees to create a semi-private area. Larger groups may rent the entire lounge for cocktail parties or dinners.
- Entertainment: Music in Lounge
- Special Events: inquiries online are available at: http://www.tripleseat.com/venues/new-york/le-colonial-1
A word from Le Colonial
Le Colonial is a truly delightful culinary experience. Like stepping into French Colonial Southeast Asia, this two-story restaurant, designed by Greg Jordan, consists of a main dining room with louvered wall panels, colorful tile floors, and vintage photos of Vietnam. Upstairs is an elegant, but lively, lounge serving a full dinner or just appetizers and cocktails. The lounge serves as an ideal setting for private parties and business dinners. Chef Ronald Wingwee Hsu serves an authentic Vietnamese menu with an emphasis on fresh seafood, meats, and vegetables.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Colonial reviews from OpenTable diners
241 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (118)fit for foodies (106)neighborhood gem (97)special occasion (91)great for lunch (53)good for groups (37)notable wine list (23)late-night find (21)vibrant bar scene (17)great for brunch (11)hot spot (9)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014We have never been to Le Colonial in New York, but have been several times to the Chicago Location...we truly enjoyed both and had a great meal with great service! A great find for us!Special Features:
- A Twenty First Century Film NoirbobbarbaraVIPDined on 9/13/2014As one who saw many film noirs set in South Asia in the 40's and 50's it's always a trip walking into an elegant "Saigonese" restaurant in 2014 which only only lacks a young Robert Mitchum dining with a beautiful woman. Oh yes, and the food and service is everything that one can ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sill Going StrongRockyroadVIPDined on 9/12/2014Le Colonial keeps on ticking- providing great food & service. Consistency is the key although the menu has changed the food and service remain very high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2014Extraordinary experience. Attentive to our special needs. Food exceptional and unique menu. Ambience wonderful. Delightful in every way.Special Features:
- Great cocktails but slow service...MissFoodieDined on 9/9/2014On arrival we were seated quite quickly in this beautifully decorated colonial style restaurant. The waitress took a while taking our order as it seemed she was the only one serving the tables. The lychee cocktail I had was excellent. The best one so far out of 6 days/6 lychee cocktails in NY. Eventually the waitress took our order. The duck spring rolls were overcooked and the prawn rolls were bland. Thk goodness for the peanut sauce. The mains though were excellent. We had the fillet mignon with yams and the prawn/scallop dish. Very tasty. We didn't have dessert because it seemed like everything was taking too long. This poor waitress had about 15 tables to deal with as it seemed there was no one else around to help.
- Always lovely.AndiamoVIPDined on 9/8/2014The upstairs lounge is THE place to eat here, like stepping onto a colonial plantation. Peaceful, good music in the background, low lighting, fun furniture and really good Viet food! You pay a price for this, but the quality is high.Special Features:
- Exotic ambiance & delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2014Loved it and will return again. It's one of our favorites.Special Features:
- Always greatJoeFDined on 9/5/2014Every time we're in NYC we eat here. That's for about 10+ years. Originally recommended by antique dealer on 57th. We always enjoy the food and atmosphere. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/3/2014delicious vietnamese food in an attractive setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a Taste of SaigonPankoVIPDined on 8/29/2014We've been to Le Colonial before, and each time has been very nice. Tonight we ordered from the a la carte menu, and were very pleased. The kitchen prepares its food meticulously, and the dishes are very elegant. The flavors are authentic but subtle. It's the subtlety that disappoints me a bit. I would prefer bolder flavors, bolder dishes, food that would be more "alive." Nevertheless, this is a good choice for Vietnamese in Manhattan. It's a hot spot at night, the decor is definitely reminiscent of Vietnam, and service is sharp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosfera gradevole, niente di piùKlingsor7Dined on 8/22/2014Un bell'ambiente che contribuisce all'atmosfera gradevole. Il cibo buono ma non eccezionale.Special Features:
- Delicious meal, lovely atmosphereSammamishMomDined on 8/21/2014We ate an excellent meal here. We shared the appetizers and main courses across the four of us. Best appetizers were ribs and vegetarian spring rolls. Best mains were shrimp and scallop salad and the tenderloin. Recommend the ho chi Minh shuffle cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed with pre-fixeTastyBitesDined on 8/20/2014Should have ordered from menu for a more balanced review. The pre-fixe was being offered after restaurant week. Not very interesting. I always return to Le Colonial in Chicago, though. NYC seems to have less menu options.
- Sill Going StrongRockyroadVIPDined on 8/20/2014After celebrating their 25th anniversary it still is a top ranked restaurant. Consistency is the key. Now offering a $22 price fixe lunch and a $38 price fixe dinner all year long. This is a WINNERSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/20/2014I really enjoyed the three course lunch menu. Wonderful flavors and nice presentation. Excellent service as well.Special Features:
- Exactly what I was looking forWeintime87Dined on 8/17/2014Went in late not know about it on a Sunday night, it was low key with great music, the service was incredible and very accommodating. The food was great and so was the wine. I don't normally write reviews but this place was such a great experience I had to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- design4nowDined on 8/17/2014Ambience and decor is great. Service is impeccable. The menu is creative and interesting and the food is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner, Great ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2014Except for the banana desert, which was burned, the food was delicious and the service and atmosphere wonderful. This restaurant has maintained its standards over the years.Special Features:
- new ownersGaryEHDined on 8/15/2014Friday August 15, 8:30, We have been going to Le Colonial for many years, always fantastic and never has disappointed us. The service this time was very poor, the matre d that has been there forever has left and it is very noticeable, he was fantastic. It took a very long time for menus, a even longer time, waiving down a waiter to have cocktails. We wanted to order wine with dinner and I had to go up to the podium and request someone come to the table, when she arrived she was very helpful, but what a mess of service for the evening. It seemed there were very few staff working, this trip found a empty bar with a very lonely bartender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfiedpalateDined on 8/15/2014Great food and polite service...helpful suggestion, good setting.Special Features:
- Lunch - 8/15JonathanDined on 8/15/2014My wife and me had a great lunch. Food first class, a lovely warm atmosphere. We did a "Restaurant Week" lunch but spent almost two hours there. No pressure. No 'being rushed'. The folks looking after us were superb. Will go back and try out the full menu soon. I recommend this place.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beBijouxVIPDined on 8/14/2014I used to really live this place but lately I feel they've gotten very over priced and many dishes are quite bland. We came for restaurant week and had the summer rolls which are consistently good and the salmon with vermicelli which was flavorless. Too bad.Special Features:
- Not so good..pchopDined on 8/14/2014Food was very very mediocre. I used to like this place a lot as I love their decor and atmosphere. That still stands but food was nothing to talk about, maybe because it was during the restaurant week? Wine seems overpriced - our Oregon Pinot Noir was decent but no point of having nice but rather expensive wine for so-so food.. No rush to return anytime soon - if I do, it will be just for drinks.
- Elegant and satisfyingkalendsDined on 8/13/2014My boyfriend and I had dinner here during Restaurant Week. We had: - cha gio vit crispy duck rolls: pretty much what you'd expect, but delicious - suon nuong lemongrass and soy grilled ribs: very good - shrimp galanga: prawns had excellent flavor and the sauce was incredible - ca hoi la vong salmon: salmon had a perfect crispy skin - tapioca with banana for dessert: great texture, flavor could have been a little more complex, maybe some cardamom? - the wine pairing, which included a Chardonnay, some Cotes du Rhone red, and a Muscat with dessert: delicious and well-paired, stood up to the somewhat spicy food The prices seemed high but the dining room is gorgeous and very comfortably scaled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014Came here for lunch during restaurant week. We got there just before they closed the kitchen (dinner reopened later). The service was still very friendly and accomodating. The hostess was more pressing about me ordering, even though my companion was late (I had to order for him). Everyone else was quite lovely and the food was delicious. Will definitely be back to try the upstairs cocktail lounge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKfoodieDined on 8/12/2014I thought the place looked alright. The waiter was very nice but they seemed to be rushing us. We had not finished our dessert and they brought us the check. And the place was not crowded. The food was not all of that to me. I have eaten Vietnamese food and I have tasted better. I think this is just a tourist trap.
- Should be on your bucket listShopperDined on 8/12/2014Wonderful atmosphere. The decor is outstanding the the food offers a surprising twist of flavors. Wish the portions were a bit larger because every dish was so tasty we were happily willing to overeat. Even the chocolate ice cream we had for dessert was better than most premium ice creams. Le Colonial is a bit pricey, but well worth it. Everyone should eat there at least once in their lives. It's an experience.Special Features:
- Great food, atmosphere and service!carloDined on 8/12/2014The reservation was made for six. The staff was attentive, always present. The service was prompt and impeccable. The food was exquisite: beautiful to look and even better tasting. My colleagues, all non Americans, were very impressed with the decor and of course dishes which they all crossed- tasted. I'll recommend it to friends and family and, I will definitely come again."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Judy555VIPDined on 8/11/2014Nice relaxing dinner. Small dishes were very tasty. Try to stay as authentic as possible. Friendly staff.Special Features:
- Met every expectation.FoodieDined on 8/11/2014I had heard of Le Colonial and finally went there for lunch. The reservation was made for four. There was no wait. The staff was attentive, always present. The service was prompt and impeccable. The food was exquisite: beautiful to look and even better tasting. The chef was accommodating to a parent with a strict no salt intake: she is very picky, an excellent cook and could not stop raving about her dish. Kudos!! I'll recommend it to friends and family and, I will definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambience.ChbzDined on 8/11/2014Great food, atmosphere and service! The ambience is pleasurable.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeeknimbuzoDined on 8/10/2014Le Colonial was a great choice for Restaurant Week - Summer 2014. The decor is like being in a fancy, 1920s New Orleans restaurant and the food is fantastic. I was part of a party of 3, and each of us selected items from the dinner RW menu. Two of us got the wine pairings. The servers were attentive and very nice. There was no lag in turnaround time between courses, even though it was quite busy while we were there. All in all, I will probably visit this restaurant again!Special Features:
- Great experienceSuperNovaDined on 8/8/2014My boyfriend and I went here for restaurant week. The food was very good. Nicely spiced but some of it wasn't hot, it was warm but not hot. Service was attentive and I loved the decor. We will be coming back here to try the full menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum Yumluv2eatDined on 8/8/2014Always wanted to try this place, So we took advantage of restaurant week. The food was incredible, the decor is gorgeous, feels like 1950s old Hollywood movie. We were so impressed by it we had after dinner cocktails in the lounge upstaires. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChickieDined on 8/6/2014great find. looking forward to trying brunch and also going back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of best restaurant week choicesJimmyDined on 8/6/2014This was one of the best restaurant week selections. My co-workers and I like to try different restaurants for NYC restaurant week. This was by far the best experience. The food and service were fantastic. The atmosphere was relaxing and not overcrowded. Will definitely go back to check out full menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Different SceneAMustVisitDined on 8/5/2014Le Colonial had excellent decor and the food was far from average.Special Features:
- a touch of old saigonOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/5/2014Delightful ambiance, wonderful food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so tastyPontuquesiDined on 8/4/2014Restaurant week menu is not that tasty, might be better in other dishes, but if you try it that wayis not executed consistently with its brand
- Elegant but not stuffyMichaelMDined on 8/4/2014Le Colonial has the ambiance and decor of French colonial Vietnam, with louvre red windows, fans, and a pressed brass ceiling. The food was very good, but I would not say exceptional. Still, a pleasant and somewhat unusual experience. Good for a long dinner and conversation. My friend and I tried two,of their special cocktails, which were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.