Le Colonial - Chicago
937 N. Rush Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
Le Colonial - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lecolonialchicago.com/
- Phone: 3122550088x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm *Summer Lunch starts at 11:30am*, Late Café Lunch: 2:30pm - 4:30pm *Summer only/ weather permitting/ Café only*; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Vietnamese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Chan Le
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Le Colonial - Chicago
Le Colonial transports guests to another time and place, vividly recapturing the beauty, romance and spirit of 1920's French-Colonial Southeast Asia. Le Colonial invigorates the senses with exquisite décor and savory authentic Vietnamese cuisine. Le Colonial offers two unique dining options: The first floor dining room is adorned with louvered shutters, woven rattan chairs, potted palms, slow-moving ceiling fans and nostalgic black and white photos of turn-of-the century life in Saigon. The upstairs lounge includes a spacious, fully stocked mahogany bar, plush couches for enjoying light fare, dining tables and a veranda, for keeping warm in winter and cool in summer. Complete with unique, delicately prepared Vietnamese cuisine, Le Colonial is the perfect setting for an after-work social or a romantic evening for two.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Colonial - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
304 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (189)fit for foodies (176)special occasion (155)neighborhood gem (138)great for outdoor dining (76)hot spot (51)good for groups (46)notable wine list (45)great for lunch (45)scenic view (25)late-night find (24)vibrant bar scene (23)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Very good experiencexxxxDined on 10/20/2014Enjoyable evening with very good food. While not rushed, felt that waiter was somewhat pushy.Special Features:
- Love the PhoOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/20/2014Hard to find Good Pho but le colonials is very good. I wish they had a large bowl option but they only offer a "starter" sizeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Appetizers, Salad and Entree's to die for! I had the Sea Bass...melted in my mouth - I highly recommend it!
- Nice dinner at Le ColonialjcloftDined on 10/18/2014This is my wife`s favorite restaurant at Chicago. Once again we had a very good time and the food was great. We will keep comming back.Special Features:
- Classy setup - good foodChicagoAMJDined on 10/17/2014Classy set up in the heart if the city. Service was great, food could have been better but desserts rockedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative and tastyCAFoodieDined on 10/16/2014Enjoyed our dining experience at Le Colonial very much. Wait person was awesome, friendly, efficient, knowledgable, and made great recommendations. Loved the salad rolls and the spicy monkfish appetizers. Jumbo shrimp curry with eggplant was a standout, such a delicious sauce! I will definitely be back to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014Great food experience ! I love it ! Totally recomended for a well done enjoying food experience, the waitress tips was awesome and me and my wife had a great meal.Special Features:
- RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Apps arrived in under 5 minutes. The "ravioli" were cold and unedible. Entrees came after another 10 minutes. It's clear they want you in... then out so they can get others at your table. I wouldn't go back ...not with so many other options in the area.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantBorntoTravelDined on 10/15/2014Food delicious, wait staff very knowledgeable, service great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- being transported back 100 yearsRazzledazzle60302VIPDined on 10/14/2014Meet someone for the first time. We had a corner of the upstairs to ourselves until after 9 pm when the crowds came in We had our drink. I my ice tea Since I stopped drinking alcohol I have become a consesour . This was some of the best strong without being bitter, The food was good Love finger foods which you have to share. Tells you your comfort level with a person in a hurry. We had a great time. Most items were at or exceeding expectations. The atmoshere was great the food was good but if you want real Vietnamese food you would go to Vietnam Resturant at Kenmore and Argyle. Nevertheless were else can you go to be transported to a different era and time And feel that you had the place to yourself at least till 9:30 pmSpecial Features:
- What a surprise!AZ4298Dined on 10/10/2014The food was delicious and the service was excellent! I was wonderfully surprised - can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, food used to be betterjmquintDined on 10/9/2014I had been in this restaurante a few years ago and I regreatly find that the food is not as memorable as it used to be.Special Features:
- Very Pleasant ExperienceApotheosisVIPDined on 10/8/2014Like most Rush Street area restaurants, if you are driving, it might take a couple passes to find it and figure out the Valet parking available. Once inside it is well worth it. The Maitre'd was very professional, patient and our table was ready right on time. The food was excellent, the service outstanding. First time there, and I really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Food inventive and delicious.lunchingDined on 10/7/2014We had a wonderful meal here from the hostess choosing a lovely table to the waiter helping select a well balanced meal. We already recommended it to many folks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysoliaDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I have been here three times for special occasions and we are always blown away. The meals are pricy but not unusually so given the location and surrounding establishments, and nevertheless it is absolutely worth it for special occasions. Amazing food, excellent service, great atmosphere - we've never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exquisite menuelizabeth2651Dined on 10/2/2014Amazing food. Everything melted in my mouth. Fresh, unique, flavorful, colorful menu. Staff was amazing and accommodating to my moody choice of seating. 100% satisfied.Special Features:
- HardeepDined on 10/1/2014Great service, amazing ambiance & delicious food. Worth every penny spent.Special Features:
- DisappointedbrenDined on 9/29/2014This is the first time we have been disappointed dining here. The food is good but the service this time was subpar. It ws so dark we couldn't read the menu and the server could have cared less. It was very cold upstairs and we had to leave our jackets on. Finally after asking another server if he could close the door to the patio we felt a little warmer.Special Features:
- Great Vietnameseevanston2Dined on 9/27/2014Great Vietnamese food - fun and delicious. Great location tucked off of Michigan avenue with peaceful outdoor seating.Special Features:
- OmahaFoodieDined on 9/25/2014Everything we ordered was amazing. Our waiters knowledge of the menu was very good and his suggestions based on what we told him were spot on. We will make this a return visit every time we visit Chicago. We ordered appetizers, entrees, dessert and coffee (we don't drink alcohol) We were drinking sparkling water and diet soda and never felt rushed to reseat the table for customers who might order expensive wine. (like the table next to us! OMG) Our waiter was obviously a foodie who enjoys his job.Special Features:
- Once again superbStateStreetersDined on 9/21/2014I really love Le Colonial. It is a warm and intimate with just the exact level of service, very attentive without being intrusive. I planned a Girls Night Out and from cocktails to dessert we were supremely satisfied. I highly recommend for any occasion.Special Features:
- YUM!!ChicagoJunkieDined on 9/21/2014This was our second visit to Le Colonial. After our first, we had decided that no visit to Chicago would be complete without dinner at Le Colonial. That is now written IN STONE! Food is exceptional, as is the service. I had made a special request through Open Table to be seated on the upper terrace and noted that we would be celebrating my husbands' 60th. I was pleased that we were indeed seated on the terrace and dessert came complete with a candle and a heartfelt "Happy Birthday" from our server. After our 3rd trip to Chicago this year, I am even more of a "Chicago Junkie"!Special Features:
- Awesome Place Highly RecommendSchmucksOnTheTownDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I enjoyed a romantic late evening dinner for 2. The place was packed but surprisingly the sound was rather muted. We enjoyed a couple of appetizers with our pre dinner drink. The entrees were excellent. I had the Ca Nuong (salmon) which came with rice noodles and fresh vegetables on the side. I loved it. My wife had the Ca Hap which was sea bass in an garlic/ginger broth. It was delicious as well. I would recommend Le Colonial to anyone looking for a wonderful dinning experience. My one drawback would be the narrow staircase up 2 flights to the bar or restroom. They also do not validate for parking which is right around the corner.Special Features:
- food not quite as good as beforebgourmandVIPDined on 9/19/2014We have eaten at Le Colonial many times and love the decor and atmosphere, but felt that the food was not up to par this time... hopefully a one-time problem! My trout was overcooked and overly salty. Hope they will pay more attention to quality of the main courses.
- A favoritehampsteadcarrieDined on 9/19/2014I love the atmosphere -- truly does feel like being at someplace like Raffles in Singapore (and the Sling here is good). The food is interesting and always beautifully prepared. I went with a large group, reserved shortly before our lunch there, and all was ready for us and we were greeted with a warm welcome and never rushed.Special Features:
- EccellenteGiandomenicoDined on 9/16/2014Siamo stati in Vietnam ed abbiamo mangiato in ottimi ristoranti. Devo dire che mai abbiamo gustato una cucina vietnamita così gustosa ed appetitosa come quella del Le Colonial. Complimenti.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedGenevieDined on 9/16/2014Really, a $100.00 dollars for dinner that tasted more like chinese take out than upscale french vietnamese. When asked for entree advice, our waiter was absolutely no help. Our appetizer course of spring rolls were over fried. Our beef entree was dry and had absolutely no reference of taste as described on the menu. Also, is the only accompaniment to any of their dishes carrots and radish? Finally, our signature cocktail was overly sweet to the point where my daughter didn't even bother to finish hers. What a huge disappointment for my daughters birthday dinner. One of the reasons I didn't bother to complain so as not to spoil her celebration. I will admit the ambiance is very nice. To bad the food side can't represent it better.
- Le Colonial Is So ElegantQuasiVeganFoodieVIPDined on 9/16/2014From the minute you walk into Le Colonial you are enveloped in the most beautiful and exotic decor. Rafael or Tony greet you, and these men really know how to make every single guest feel important. The cocktails and wine lists are exquisit. There aren't too many places I opt for a mixed drink, but this in one of them. We started with my favorite appetizer the Bo Bia. These are soft salad rolls that might sound boring, but they are anything but. I could devour almost anything dipped in Le Colonial's sauces - especially the peanut sauce that accompanies this dish. As a main course I look forward to their signature whole crisp-seared snapper. Not a morsel was left on my plate. It's worth noting Le Colonial has a full vegan menu 2.Special Features:
- Delicious!ChitowngirlVIPDined on 9/14/2014My friend and I both got seafood dishes paired with white wine. We also started off with the spring rolls. We were very content (and full) at the end of the night.Special Features:
- SKIDGESkidgeDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant was as good as we remembered -- food was prepared excellently, service was attentive, prices were reasonable. Booking on-line, not so good -- a week before our rez we requested seating upstairs but the 4 of us were put at a small table next to the kitchen! Next time, we'll make the rez with the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best French MartintiOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/12/2014I love Le Colonial. I just feel good going there. Delightful ambience. Great service. Great food. The best French Martini in Chicago! Really!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and YummyAMBChicagoVIPDined on 9/12/2014This restaurant reminds me of Colonial Asia. The decor is beautiful and the food excellent. I dined with a friend who had not been to the restaurant in years. We shared that fried spring rolls that you wrap in lettuce leaves, add the carrots and cilantro and mint and then dip in a lovely sauce. For our entree we both had the pho. It is a lovely soup with noodles and slices of beef. You can add a spicy or sweet sauce to it. We both went for the hot sauce. Delicious. Our dessert was a mango sundae. The vanilla ice cream was beautifully rich and creamy and the mango topping was sprinkled with almond bits that added a nice flavor and crunch. Absolutely delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant with warmthaalbDined on 9/7/2014Le Colonial has a warm, beautiful atmosphere. Our server was charming and helpful. The wine list had several interesting selections, including many Rieslings that complimented the cuisine. Two dishes were superb, the other two very good.Special Features:
- One of my favoritehroseDined on 9/6/2014I think Le Colonial might be my favorite restaurant in the city. Excellent food. I always feel like I'm on vacation when I'm there, because the atmosphere and décor is exotic and relaxing.Special Features:
- Chicago FavWhyanicknameVIPDined on 9/5/2014As a "local" Chicagoan, this place continues to stand out was one of my favorites. Great ambiance (ask for seating upstairs and if the weather's nice ask for a terrace seat), incredible French-Viatnamese food. The sea bass and red snapper are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Me and my boo loved it 💓Missemily69Dined on 9/5/2014I'm visiting my long distance booty call from the south. I wanted a romantic but unpretentious locale for our date. Food was bon and terrace seating was superb. Recommend the sea bass. And some of dat ginger sauce was to die for. It is delicious with everything so don't let those waiters take it from ya! After dinner me and my boo drank at loungeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le ColonialSmittyDined on 9/3/2014Excellent food, mood and service. If you are looking for a special place with great food this is it. Large portions make it perfect for groups of 4 or more. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere indifferent foodNEJ3Dined on 8/31/2014This is a very popular restaurant with a lovely atmosphere but the food was just not worth the money. It could have been so good but was in fact was boring, uninspired, lacking in any kind of flair in taste and presentation.
- gold coast gemmodernartgirlVIPDined on 8/30/2014This is my favorite restaurant to dine in when we visit Chicago!!! My husband likes to try new places but i say why go anywhere else? Beautiful food, professional and knowledgeable staff, great wine list and fabulous Gold Coast location.Special Features:
- Good Southeast Asian DowntownDCGlassblowerDined on 8/29/2014Le Colonial serves up a mix of southeast Asian food in an interesting, slightly Victorian setting. The service is good, and the food portions are large. The quality of the food is very good, if not particularly innovative. Most of the customers are well-heeled with a little attitude to match, but the staff is welcoming.Special Features: