Le Colonial - Chicago
937 N. Rush Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
Le Colonial - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lecolonialchicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 255-0088
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm *Summer Lunch starts at 11:30am*, Late Café Lunch: 2:30pm - 4:30pm *Summer only/ weather permitting/ Café only*; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Vietnamese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Chan Le
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Le Colonial - Chicago
Le Colonial transports guests to another time and place, vividly recapturing the beauty, romance and spirit of 1920's French-Colonial Southeast Asia. Le Colonial invigorates the senses with exquisite décor and savory authentic Vietnamese cuisine. Le Colonial offers two unique dining options: The first floor dining room is adorned with louvered shutters, woven rattan chairs, potted palms, slow-moving ceiling fans and nostalgic black and white photos of turn-of-the century life in Saigon. The upstairs lounge includes a spacious, fully stocked mahogany bar, plush couches for enjoying light fare, dining tables and a veranda, for keeping warm in winter and cool in summer. Complete with unique, delicately prepared Vietnamese cuisine, Le Colonial is the perfect setting for an after-work social or a romantic evening for two.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Colonial - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
278 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (171)fit for foodies (166)special occasion (136)neighborhood gem (128)great for outdoor dining (49)good for groups (46)hot spot (44)great for lunch (39)notable wine list (35)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (19)scenic view (18)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- First Class All The WayDowntownVIPDined on 11/21/2014Everything about Le Colonial is First Rate -- absolutely superb in every regard. With so many restaurants in Chicago to choose from we continue to be impressed with the quality and originality of the food. The whole snapper is fabulous, as is the trout in banana skin. We love the salad with crab meat and the salad with scallops. The service is attentive without being invasive and we never tire of the wonderfully romantic decor. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4th annual dinner with friends from medical schoolpetpringlesDined on 11/20/2014I get to Chicago only once a year for a conference and we've always had our rendezvous here. The ambience, the tasty and glorious food and the courteous service just adds so much to our get together. We are only a small group of 3 and no doubt of even thinking of a different venue as the location is prime and the setting just wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!ScotticusDined on 11/14/2014Great food, fantastic service. I would recommend le colonial. Make sure you make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- None at this time.FoodieDined on 11/14/2014ALways excellent service and food preparation. Would highly recommend this restaurant to friends and visitors to the Chicago area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian flairCathyLDined on 11/12/2014The service was excellent, very professional. Our waiter made excellent suggestions. The oxtail soup was fabulous . As were the appetizer rolls, and entrees. The dining room on the first floor was elegant and comfortable. We liked that they had a coat room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continually outstanding!ReduxDined on 11/5/2014You can count on the food, service and quality experience every time.Special Features:
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2014We have been going to Le Colonial for many years. It is always great.Special Features:
- Business lunchMrbadger66VIPDined on 11/4/2014I've frequented Le Colonial for a number of years and it's a special place to take business guests. The "house" is lovely; the food consistently excellent; the service attentive but unobtrusive. Loop clients love getting away and especially enjoy the setting and the menu (although the number of choices can overwhelm, but that's a minor quibble). It's just a very nice, vey serene place ... an ideal setting for relaxed but productive discussions.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beWorldfoodDined on 11/3/2014Think these guys are living on their past reputation. Food quality was mediocre. Nothing special or memorable. Ambiance remains good but with the lake of energy on the food I would not go back!
- Le ColonialgastronomeDined on 11/2/2014This is a wonderful place to have a real, sustained conversation with friends, in a lovely setting. Upstairs is a great environment for a fine meal and a place to catch up with friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelAdmanVIPDined on 11/2/2014Great food and service get the bouillabaisse we come here everyone in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special spot...LucyVIPDined on 10/31/2014We had never been to a French Vietnamese restaurant, but once we tried Le Colonial, we always save an evening to dine there when we are in Chicago. The food is fresh, interesting and appealing. We love the atmosphere. May not be for everyone, but it's a special evening for us.Special Features:
- Delicious foodDeboChicagoVIPDined on 10/28/2014We enjoyed our recent dinner at Le Colonial. The food is absolutely delicious. It's true that similar food is available in Uptown for a much lower price but not in such an attractive environment or with such impeccable presentation. The only negative, and it's a mild one, was rather over-attentive service. This included waitstaff who decided to "explain" the menu by reading parts of it even though we said we'd been there before and other staff who were perhaps over- eager to remove our plates. Favorite dishes included everything we ordered: the fresh spring rolls, trout, lotus root salad, and scallop salad. Super flavors and fresh ingredients, with everything perfectly prepared.Special Features:
- Great place for a special occassionsharkyDined on 10/27/2014Went here for a 40th birthday dinner. Bar atmosphere upstairs is great. Small, intimate and very good service at the bar. Sat upstairs next to the windows. View is cool and the atmosphere is great. Romantic and intimate. Food is excellent and wine list is very good. Service at dinner was a little sporadic but I suppose one way to look at it is that they weren't overbearing. One of my favorite places in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh ColonialDeederVIPDined on 10/25/2014It was ok. The food was certainly not what I would consider fine dining, more like an overpriced PF Changs. Luckily, even at that rate, it was still not all that expensive for the Gold Coast. The pho was extremely mediocre, and that is almost unpardonable for a restaurant that claims to be authentic Vietnamese. The service was pleasant, but the joint was loud and cramped. I doubt I'd go back. There are street vendors that can do that same cuisine, and many do it better.
- Spicier food was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014The host was excellent about getting us a table when we were 20 minutes early! Appetizer needs to come with assembly instructions. :) I had a mixed veggie and chicken curry dish that was spicy and TASTY!! My husband had #29 - good but needed more spicing/flavor. Our son had a pork dish that was good. Our server was very efficient considering how busy she was. We were at a wall table which was trickier for seating (had to pull out the table to be seated and to leave). Overall, a good experience!Special Features:
- NicePatrickVIPDined on 10/24/2014Why wasn't it as great as we remembered? Food was good, but seemed like a lot more noodles than anything -- on rather expensive dishes. The ribs appetizer was really just OK.
- So good!ReebsDined on 10/24/2014The food is compilations of amazing fusions. The small plates are great to share and the drink menu is unique and delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/24/2014Always enjoy coming here when visiting from out of town. Great flavors with good service. Will revisit when I return to town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantasticEMV2013VIPDined on 10/23/2014I try to eat at Le Colonial every time I come to Chicago. I travel quite a bit and eat in great restaurants all across the country. Le Colonial never lets me down - I have brought groups here several times and the service and food is always excellent. The ambiance is beautiful as well.Special Features:
- Better at lunchsueterryDined on 10/22/2014Our 3rd time here; loved the food but duck just ok this time & appetizer very strange.Very loud with big groups even on a a Wednesday. Waiters were terrificSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good experiencexxxxDined on 10/20/2014Enjoyable evening with very good food. While not rushed, felt that waiter was somewhat pushy.Special Features:
- Love the PhoWalkermaDined on 10/20/2014Hard to find Good Pho but le colonials is very good. I wish they had a large bowl option but they only offer a "starter" sizeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Appetizers, Salad and Entree's to die for! I had the Sea Bass...melted in my mouth - I highly recommend it!
- Nice dinner at Le ColonialjcloftDined on 10/18/2014This is my wife`s favorite restaurant at Chicago. Once again we had a very good time and the food was great. We will keep comming back.Special Features:
- Classy setup - good foodChicagoAMJVIPDined on 10/17/2014Classy set up in the heart if the city. Service was great, food could have been better but desserts rockedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative and tastyCAFoodieDined on 10/16/2014Enjoyed our dining experience at Le Colonial very much. Wait person was awesome, friendly, efficient, knowledgable, and made great recommendations. Loved the salad rolls and the spicy monkfish appetizers. Jumbo shrimp curry with eggplant was a standout, such a delicious sauce! I will definitely be back to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014Great food experience ! I love it ! Totally recomended for a well done enjoying food experience, the waitress tips was awesome and me and my wife had a great meal.Special Features:
- RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Apps arrived in under 5 minutes. The "ravioli" were cold and unedible. Entrees came after another 10 minutes. It's clear they want you in... then out so they can get others at your table. I wouldn't go back ...not with so many other options in the area.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantBorntoTravelDined on 10/15/2014Food delicious, wait staff very knowledgeable, service great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- being transported back 100 yearsRazzledazzle60302VIPDined on 10/14/2014Meet someone for the first time. We had a corner of the upstairs to ourselves until after 9 pm when the crowds came in We had our drink. I my ice tea Since I stopped drinking alcohol I have become a consesour . This was some of the best strong without being bitter, The food was good Love finger foods which you have to share. Tells you your comfort level with a person in a hurry. We had a great time. Most items were at or exceeding expectations. The atmoshere was great the food was good but if you want real Vietnamese food you would go to Vietnam Resturant at Kenmore and Argyle. Nevertheless were else can you go to be transported to a different era and time And feel that you had the place to yourself at least till 9:30 pmSpecial Features:
- What a surprise!AZ4298Dined on 10/10/2014The food was delicious and the service was excellent! I was wonderfully surprised - can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, food used to be betterjmquintDined on 10/9/2014I had been in this restaurante a few years ago and I regreatly find that the food is not as memorable as it used to be.Special Features:
- Very Pleasant ExperienceApotheosisVIPDined on 10/8/2014Like most Rush Street area restaurants, if you are driving, it might take a couple passes to find it and figure out the Valet parking available. Once inside it is well worth it. The Maitre'd was very professional, patient and our table was ready right on time. The food was excellent, the service outstanding. First time there, and I really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Food inventive and delicious.lunchingDined on 10/7/2014We had a wonderful meal here from the hostess choosing a lovely table to the waiter helping select a well balanced meal. We already recommended it to many folks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysoliaDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I have been here three times for special occasions and we are always blown away. The meals are pricy but not unusually so given the location and surrounding establishments, and nevertheless it is absolutely worth it for special occasions. Amazing food, excellent service, great atmosphere - we've never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerMaksimDined on 10/2/2014Came here for wedding anniversary dinner. Service was pleasant, they offered us a nice table at the window at second floor with a street view, in a corner so we felt quite romantic and cozy there. Food was great, antipasti were very fresh, especially tuna tartar. Drinks looked exotic and were highly acceptable. There were few more people there but not too loud. I would definitely recommend this place for a romantic dinner tet-a-tet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exquisite menuelizabeth2651Dined on 10/2/2014Amazing food. Everything melted in my mouth. Fresh, unique, flavorful, colorful menu. Staff was amazing and accommodating to my moody choice of seating. 100% satisfied.Special Features:
- HardeepDined on 10/1/2014Great service, amazing ambiance & delicious food. Worth every penny spent.Special Features:
- DisappointedbrenDined on 9/29/2014This is the first time we have been disappointed dining here. The food is good but the service this time was subpar. It ws so dark we couldn't read the menu and the server could have cared less. It was very cold upstairs and we had to leave our jackets on. Finally after asking another server if he could close the door to the patio we felt a little warmer.Special Features: