Le Colonial - Chicago
937 N. Rush Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
VietnamesePrice: $31 to $50
Le Colonial - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lecolonialchicago.com/
- Phone: 3122550088x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm *Summer Lunch starts at 11:30am*, Late Café Lunch: 2:30pm - 4:30pm *Summer only/ weather permitting/ Café only*; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Vietnamese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Chan Le
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Le Colonial - Chicago
Le Colonial transports guests to another time and place, vividly recapturing the beauty, romance and spirit of 1920's French-Colonial Southeast Asia. Le Colonial invigorates the senses with exquisite décor and savory authentic Vietnamese cuisine. Le Colonial offers two unique dining options: The first floor dining room is adorned with louvered shutters, woven rattan chairs, potted palms, slow-moving ceiling fans and nostalgic black and white photos of turn-of-the century life in Saigon. The upstairs lounge includes a spacious, fully stocked mahogany bar, plush couches for enjoying light fare, dining tables and a veranda, for keeping warm in winter and cool in summer. Complete with unique, delicately prepared Vietnamese cuisine, Le Colonial is the perfect setting for an after-work social or a romantic evening for two.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Colonial - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
318 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (197)fit for foodies (173)special occasion (167)neighborhood gem (141)great for outdoor dining (94)great for lunch (53)hot spot (50)notable wine list (48)good for groups (40)late-night find (36)vibrant bar scene (30)scenic view (28)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- EccellenteGiandomenicoDined on 9/16/2014Siamo stati in Vietnam ed abbiamo mangiato in ottimi ristoranti. Devo dire che mai abbiamo gustato una cucina vietnamita così gustosa ed appetitosa come quella del Le Colonial. Complimenti.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014Really, a $100.00 dollars for dinner that tasted more like chinese take out than upscale french vietnamese. When asked for entree advice, our waiter was absolutely no help. Our appetizer course of spring rolls were over fried. Our beef entree was dry and had absolutely no reference of taste as described on the menu. Also, is the only accompaniment to any of their dishes carrots and radish? Finally, our signature cocktail was overly sweet to the point where my daughter didn't even bother to finish hers. What a huge disappointment for my daughters birthday dinner. One of the reasons I didn't bother to complain so as not to spoil her celebration. I will admit the ambiance is very nice. To bad the food side can't represent it better.
- Le Colonial Is So ElegantQuasiVeganFoodieVIPDined on 9/16/2014From the minute you walk into Le Colonial you are enveloped in the most beautiful and exotic decor. Rafael or Tony greet you, and these men really know how to make every single guest feel important. The cocktails and wine lists are exquisit. There aren't too many places I opt for a mixed drink, but this in one of them. We started with my favorite appetizer the Bo Bia. These are soft salad rolls that might sound boring, but they are anything but. I could devour almost anything dipped in Le Colonial's sauces - especially the peanut sauce that accompanies this dish. As a main course I look forward to their signature whole crisp-seared snapper. Not a morsel was left on my plate. It's worth noting Le Colonial has a full vegan menu 2.Special Features:
- Delicious!ChitowngirlVIPDined on 9/14/2014My friend and I both got seafood dishes paired with white wine. We also started off with the spring rolls. We were very content (and full) at the end of the night.Special Features:
- SKIDGESkidgeDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant was as good as we remembered -- food was prepared excellently, service was attentive, prices were reasonable. Booking on-line, not so good -- a week before our rez we requested seating upstairs but the 4 of us were put at a small table next to the kitchen! Next time, we'll make the rez with the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best French MartintiOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/12/2014I love Le Colonial. I just feel good going there. Delightful ambience. Great service. Great food. The best French Martini in Chicago! Really!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and YummyAMBChicagoVIPDined on 9/12/2014This restaurant reminds me of Colonial Asia. The decor is beautiful and the food excellent. I dined with a friend who had not been to the restaurant in years. We shared that fried spring rolls that you wrap in lettuce leaves, add the carrots and cilantro and mint and then dip in a lovely sauce. For our entree we both had the pho. It is a lovely soup with noodles and slices of beef. You can add a spicy or sweet sauce to it. We both went for the hot sauce. Delicious. Our dessert was a mango sundae. The vanilla ice cream was beautifully rich and creamy and the mango topping was sprinkled with almond bits that added a nice flavor and crunch. Absolutely delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant with warmthaalbDined on 9/7/2014Le Colonial has a warm, beautiful atmosphere. Our server was charming and helpful. The wine list had several interesting selections, including many Rieslings that complimented the cuisine. Two dishes were superb, the other two very good.Special Features:
- One of my favoritehroseDined on 9/6/2014I think Le Colonial might be my favorite restaurant in the city. Excellent food. I always feel like I'm on vacation when I'm there, because the atmosphere and décor is exotic and relaxing.Special Features:
- Chicago FavWhyanicknameVIPDined on 9/5/2014As a "local" Chicagoan, this place continues to stand out was one of my favorites. Great ambiance (ask for seating upstairs and if the weather's nice ask for a terrace seat), incredible French-Viatnamese food. The sea bass and red snapper are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Me and my boo loved it 💓Missemily69Dined on 9/5/2014I'm visiting my long distance booty call from the south. I wanted a romantic but unpretentious locale for our date. Food was bon and terrace seating was superb. Recommend the sea bass. And some of dat ginger sauce was to die for. It is delicious with everything so don't let those waiters take it from ya! After dinner me and my boo drank at loungeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le ColonialSmittyDined on 9/3/2014Excellent food, mood and service. If you are looking for a special place with great food this is it. Large portions make it perfect for groups of 4 or more. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere indifferent foodNEJ3Dined on 8/31/2014This is a very popular restaurant with a lovely atmosphere but the food was just not worth the money. It could have been so good but was in fact was boring, uninspired, lacking in any kind of flair in taste and presentation.
- gold coast gemmodernartgirlVIPDined on 8/30/2014This is my favorite restaurant to dine in when we visit Chicago!!! My husband likes to try new places but i say why go anywhere else? Beautiful food, professional and knowledgeable staff, great wine list and fabulous Gold Coast location.Special Features:
- Good Southeast Asian DowntownDCGlassblowerDined on 8/29/2014Le Colonial serves up a mix of southeast Asian food in an interesting, slightly Victorian setting. The service is good, and the food portions are large. The quality of the food is very good, if not particularly innovative. Most of the customers are well-heeled with a little attitude to match, but the staff is welcoming.Special Features:
- Great all aroundrobynDined on 8/29/2014Beautiful interior, perfect service without being pushy or pretentious and wonderful food. I am from New Orleans where we have vietnamese, and french, but nothing that combines the two to this level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Vietnamese cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Great colonial ambience and outstanding vietnamese food. Good wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST VietnameseYvonneVIPDined on 8/27/2014They are the Nordstrom of restaurants because their customer service is IMPECCABLE. You are immediately greeted, respectfully and genially checked on, and given the most sincere service you could ever want. The ambiance is beautiful and classy. What's even better is that the food is phenomenal. Some of the dishes (specially the pho) is a smaller portion than at other Vietnamese restaurants; however, the quality is clearly superior. Furthermore, the price isn't bad for what you get. My lunch of an appetizer, pho, and tea was about $20 which is nothing to frown about.Special Features:
- Exotic Taste of Asia in ChicagostarvingartistDined on 8/26/2014The decor in this restaurant transports one immediately out of Chicago and into an exotic locale: French colonial Vietnam. The food almost measures up to the delightful atmosphere, but sadly the service is only average. There is an interesting cocktail selection and my martini was fabulous. We had a variety of food, including appetizer, salad and three entrees. All were very good, but none were outstanding or particularly memorable. The wait staff were courteous but slow. We had to wait a rather long time for the waiter to take our drink orders, almost to the point that we thought we had been forgotten. Overall a nice dining experience but perhaps not as good as expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second meal in this restaurantPaulVIPDined on 8/24/2014My first experience was in San Francisco. The food was spectacular. French Vietnamese--unusual flavors well prepared. The one in Chicago was just as good. Excellent choices on the menu. It is food you do not find elsewhere. Reasonable prices. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisgruntledDined on 8/24/2014Been to the restaurant many times. Very disappointed in the food and service, and they sat my party of four (made the reservation weeks ago) literally in the doorway to the front entrance. I will not return - ever.
- foodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014French Vietnamese food in a lovely ambiance. Very knowledgeable waiter - on target with recommendations. Caring service - delicious food - wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect NightStateStreetersDined on 8/23/2014What a delight, an engaged and interested waiter who was attentive but not overbearing. The food was wonderful from the cocktails to dessert. A new go to place for special moments.Special Features:
- Great all-aroundLjtfoodieDined on 8/22/2014I hadn't been to Le Colonial since 2010 and wondered if it was still as good. It was, just as I remembered! Friendly but restrained, refined service. The food - fantastic. I had the tofu salad, which has the most incredible mix of flavors, and textures. My boyfriend said the pho was a bit too sweet. The shrimp-wrapped cane sugar was perhaps the best app ever. Light but satisfying, just what a girl wants for a romantic dinner! And it amazes me how the restaurant can be full, and vibrant, and yet you can hear your date and have a quiet conversation. I will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatinveganVIPDined on 8/19/2014Le Colonial continues to be a great place for a special meal. The atmosphere takes you back to a different time, and the servers are attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. The Vietnamese food is always good, and there are even several vegetarian/vegan items on the menu. Great place for groups or romantic dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant eveningTanbarkDined on 8/19/2014We had wonderful appetizers, & my sister's entree (chicken in a curry sauce) was superb. Mine was only okay (shrimp, scallops, calamari, vegetables, & rice noodles -- mostly veggies & noodles).Special Features:
- SallyDined on 8/19/2014Le Colonial is the perfect spot for a lovely lunch. The food is fabulous and the service is, too. You can hear each other talk without yelling and yet, the environment is lively and friendly.Special Features:
- Amazing placepholoverDined on 8/18/2014Came here for dinner with my gf and her sister and I was not disappointed. The environment itself was very nice but lets get to the food. We all started off with the pho and wow it was incredible. The broth was rich and beefy with a nice herb-y finish while the beef itself was melt in your mouth fantastic. We also got the rice paper dumplings which was a bit of a let down flavor wise, it was just a little too light with not a lot of chicken flavor or any other flavoring as well. For the entree I got the filet with the shrimp and tomato rice pilaf and salad. The steak was incredible and like the meat in the broth it melted in your mouth which went well with the rice. however the salad was a little too sweet for my taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food...MattSVIPDined on 8/18/2014The place remains a local gem. I was absent for a number of years and returned to identical and better fare! The service was pushy and more concerned about the popular dishes then the actual recommendations of the chef(hidden gems) but overall a great time. It was a bit on the pricy side as well...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance for Vietnamese FoodJoeNgDined on 8/17/2014The Pho was excellent. The rest of our meal was very good. We sat outside so the service was lacking but having stepped inside, the ambiance was that of a 5 star restaurant. I would come back... if I lived in Chicago but I know there is one here in NY as well so I will be trying them out. Gluten Free options are available and the Pho is gluten free when ordered without the plum sauce.Special Features:
- EssdVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food was awesome. Service was great. Wait staff were friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still strongBill1234VIPDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant remains a fun evening out. The ambiance is striking on entrance, and the host's greeting is pleasant, if not a little cool. The starters were varied, and our waiter made some great recommendations. The menu is somewhat limited, but the fish selections are tasty and well prepared, especially the trout dish. All 5 of our entrees were enjoyed, however the shrimp entree was slightly too spicy. The vietnamese coffee was a great finish to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always pleased with Le ColonialSunshineVIPDined on 8/11/2014I have not been to this restaurant for 2-3 years. This past Monday evening, I was treating a friend from out of town to dinner and decided to make reservations through Open Table. I selected Le Colonial with a special request to sit outside in the upstairs balcony. As reservations were early pm - my wish came true. Service at this restaurant impeccable! The food is creative and flavorful.Special Features:
- A different option in ChicagoMrJoeDined on 8/10/2014I was looking for something different in Chicago and I found Le Colonial. I never thought it would be so good. Food was interesting in terms of different flavors and ingredients. Service was very good. If you go there, my advice is to share dishes so you can try different things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!fantasticDined on 8/10/2014First dined here 15 years ago, and it's still as wonderful and memorable as it was before. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor servicenorthshoregalVIPDined on 8/10/2014We have enjoyed Le Colonial in the past - and, as a result, have returned on several occasions over the years. That being said, this most recent experience was marked by inexperienced waitstaff offering us items NOT on the menu, returning with that information, getting the subsequent orders wrong and no acknowledgement of the compounded errors. This will certainly impact on our interest in returning.
- cmo12Dined on 8/10/2014The restaurant is decorated in a very charming and interesting way. I was a bit disappointed with the food. I thought it was very similar to other Asia restaurants I have been to. I expected something more exotic. My martini was excellent though.Special Features:
- RoostVIPDined on 8/10/2014Vietnamese at its finest. Love the spring rolls, fried rice and jumbo shrimp!
- Very cool but with crazy pricessteelytripDined on 8/9/2014The atmosphere is really spectacular - for a good date or special occasion it's hard to beat. The food is very good, but for the money it needs to be the best Vietnamese food you've ever had in your life. It is not that. But as long you know that's what you're getting into, don't hesitate. It's a great night.Special Features:
- AveragePHYKODined on 8/9/2014Upon arrival, my gf and I were seated off kind of in a corner where I guess initially the server forgot about us. Thankfully though, our food came out pretty fast. My review on Asian food would be biased because I am Asian and I would have to say even for fusion food, it was mediocre. I can understand why a lot of people would like to try this place because the French aspect makes it fancier than it really is and the ambiance really gives sort of a luxurious feel. Aside from the few bugs I found flying around and the hair in my gf's rice this place was ok.