1410 Route 35
South Salem, NY 10590Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lechateauny.com/
- Phone: 9145336631x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hours: Wednesday - Friday 4:30-6:30pm
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday 5:30 - 9:00 Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 12:00pm to 3:00pm -
JP's Bistro casual Dining open Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Sunday
5:30 pm to close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French American, French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Marc Woll
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Private room available for 10 to 175 people on premises or Le Chateau Chefs can cater your next function in the privacy of your home or at the site of your choice.
- Private Party Facilities: Le Chateau built in 1907 by JP Morgan is an elegant French restaurant providing a gracious setting for your next function. We host a variety of rooms to accommodate your needs. Massive stone fireplaces amid warm cozy rooms, French contemporary cuisine to impress and enjoy with your family and friends.
- Private Party Contact: Christine or Lee 9145336631x
- Entertainment: Live music (dinner & dancing) on Selected Friday and Saturday evenings 6:30pm to 10:30pm check website for dates. Come for cocktails, appetizers or desserts, a la carte menu always available.
- Special Events: Now open on 2nd floor JP's Lounge: casual dining .
A word from Le Chateau
Elegant dining in beautiful country estates built in 1907 by JP Morgan. Overlooking the Hudson Valley.Continued
Now open on second floor JP's Bistro casual dining, wines by the glass & martini bar, small plate menu, ala carte & $38.00 prix fixe menu
Now open on second floor JP's Bistro casual dining, wines by the glass & martini bar, small plate menu, ala carte & $38.00 prix fixe menu
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Le Chateau - Best Restaurants in South Salem ›
Le Chateau reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (21)special occasion (20)scenic view (15)notable wine list (8)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (5)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- best restaurant in the areaOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/19/2014we went at le chateau for my wife's birthday and everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome returnHealthyDined on 10/10/2014The maître de remembered us from this summer and made our birthday celebration very special. The duck was amazing and I had a lobster (out of the shell for you!) with shrimp. We will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedeggsDined on 10/5/2014Sunday brunch and birthday celebration with 9 of us . Very nice staff but wedding going on means kitchen issues usually. So hot apps were not, and several returned for reheat. Escargot came out well before e they brought the bread for it. Extremely salty soup and risotto. I only could only eat a few forkfuls. Mussels with shells in risotto yielded such small mussels that I thought the shells were empty. Seriously. Quiche, meh. Salmon very good as was french toast. Desserts lovely. Bread and croissants fresh and good as well. View if by the window, which we were not, fabulous at this time of year. Price fix with tip about $50 per person.Special Features:
- DisapointedCharlieTDined on 9/26/2014I brought my wife to Le Chateau for her Sixty-Six Birthday and was very disappointed. First, we sat next to a table of five where one of the women talked non-stop and was loud. My major disappointment was the food. My wife asked the waiter if he would recommend the Salmon or the Duck. He would not recommend the Salmon but did the Duck but explained it would not be the breast but two small pieces. She ordered the Duck and I ordered the Rack of Lamb but when they delivered our main course both dinners had the same sauce that did not make sense being Duck is Poultry and should have a white sauce and Rack of Lamb had a dark sauce but did not have a good taste to it. This was my fourth visit to this restaurant but this was the worst.Special Features:
- A Bit TiredBlueWarriorDined on 9/21/2014Granted we were there on a Sunday, but everything seemed just a bit off. The staff clearly wasn't the A team and the food was a bit bland. Beautiful location. Should have been a better all around experience.Special Features:
- Food was good.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Service was so-so. Gave the waiter an extra $20 for change for tip, he brought me back the $20 to try to get bigger tip. Not shocking for a place like this. Overall- not bad though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to usual high standardstravelonourstomachsDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I have dined at Le Chateau many times - it is our "special occasion" dinner destination. Last night they really did not have their act together. My wife ordered filet mignon medium rare. Twice it came out of the kitchen medium well. She settled for a bowl of onion soup. I asked that the sweetbreads be upgraded to an entree portion, and got a plate with just sweetbreads, nothing extra on the plate (maybe some green beans, maybe some polenta?). We will go back, but this was not their best effort.Special Features:
- Needs an UpdateJNEWCANAANDined on 8/1/2014The location and building are beautiful! The food was not the best. Our table faced the kitchen door which was open and I saw too much going on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 379 reviews are from the Le Chateau reviews archive.
- Magnifique!steppingoutinstyleDined on 6/28/2014We spent our first wedding anniversary at Le Chateau. From the moment we pulled up to the moment we left, it was an exquisite experience! The food, the service, the band and dancing was all incomparable! We had the best time and are looking forward to going back.sreppingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xxxxVIPDined on 6/22/2014The food was great as always, but they have to do something about the glasses. They look really dirty due to dishwasher stains and wrong handling of the staff (holding the body of the glass instead of the stem). Should not happen in a restaurant of this category.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!Westchester1Dined on 6/21/2014This was a BAD night. There was a wedding going on, so the emphasis was on that at the expense of other diners. My wife was in mid-sentence ordering dinner when the waiter abruptly walked away to help open the window shades so that we could see the sunset. He came back, no apologies, etc. The food was so-so (I had better elsewhere) and we had to wait INORDINATE amounts of time to get our table cleared between courses. The wait staff spent time chatting with other patrons - not us! We sat for 20 minutes after dinner and had to finally ask a bus boy for dessert menus. Coffee took another 20 minutes! I called and asked about a dress code - men needed jackets. There were men in shorts and polo shirts! my advice - FIND ANOTHER RESTAURANT!!Special Features:
- Wonderful fine diningcsd2Dined on 6/13/2014Le Chateau remains one go the great formal dining choices in the area. The service is formal but never stuffy. The food is wonderful. The lamb chops are a must whenever I go.Special Features:
- I took the chance for you....NikkiVIPDined on 5/30/2014Don't do it! From dead mmosquitos on the tablecloth, a dead fly in the water glass, Kobe beef that had turned and a myriad of other disasters, don't dine here. The lovely old home turned restaurant, which is questionable, and the view which is spectacular does not justify dining here. The menu was stuck in the 60's along with the geriatric crowd. The service was good and their personalities shown through, if that's what's you'd like. This establishment needs a revamp now!Special Features:
- What a disappointmentUESFoodieDined on 5/25/2014The food was mediocre at best and the service was close to non existent. The server and his assistants were very nice, but they had two rooms of tables and they just couldn't keep up.
- Very romantic, classic buildingLauraDined on 5/25/2014Nice location with fantastic scenic view. Good food. A good location for wedding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014First time at Le Chateau, and we were very impressed.The restaurant is amazing, and the food and service are out of this world. The only downside was the larger group that had multiple children running around. Not the staff's fault, but it should have been dealt with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014The food was poor. The beef was not cooked as ordered, the duck tasted like a salt-lick, and the fish was bland. The service was mediocre. Given the cost of the meal, I was exceedingly disappointed. I will not return.
- Sunday Brunch at Le Chateaurep45Dined on 5/4/2014The brunch was served upstairs in a pub atmosphere. Not the spacious dinner room with the fireplace. The food was fair with a frisse/bacon/egg salad drenched in dressing. The service was fair. Not enough wait staff to take orders. To give an order took 30min. There was a wedding tasting in the same room that took attention away from the regular guests. The maitre d'-Christine did not come up to greet any of the guests or tell us beforehand that the brunch would be upstairs in a "less" ambient setting. The overall experience was "very" fair.Special Features:
- Lovely Dinner ExperienceSpiderDined on 4/18/2014Everything was wonderful from the time we walked through the door to the time we left. Never rushed, but service was very attentive. The food was very good and plenty of it. We will be going back again.Special Features:
- Never againRobertDined on 4/12/2014The service was abismal. I will never go again. The food disappointed as well. I paid 82.00 for a rack of lamb for two and they were small and over cooked. You would think a manager or mature d would come and apologize for the major delay in delivery of our food but no one cared.Special Features:
- Excellent placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014Excellent place for dinner and Dancing on a Saturday nite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date NightAdrienneDined on 4/5/2014Looking out the windows over the countryside was a beautiful pink sunset welcoming us. It is truly a beautiful spot. The food was superb. We had a fabulous wine. The music was a lovely addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014This was our first time at Le Chateau but it will not be our last. The food was delicious. The waiter was just perfect. The dessert was fantastic, but the very best part was the dancing to slow romantic songs!!! LOVED this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good as I rememberedbestdiningDined on 2/22/2014Food was very good as I remembered from the past and this goes all the way back to the mid 1970s. My only complaint is with the Fois Gras which was dry and lacked freshness. This is the place to go for that special day.Special Features:
- Horrible V-day Experiencejaygelico13Dined on 2/14/2014I took my girlfriend here for Valentine's day ($75 pre-fixe). 1st when we arrived, there was a 20 car line for the valet. It took more than 15 minutes just to park the car. We were seated quickly but 30 seconds after we sat, "our entrees arrived". Obviously hadn't ordered anything yet. Then, we ordered two glasses of champagne...never came, but don't worry, they were on the bill. 20 minutes later, the waiter asks us what we'd like for dinner, apparently forgetting that he never provided us menus. Then the food was just BAD. So the whole experience was just crappy from start to end. The desserts, cherry creme brulee and chocolate praline cake, were the worst I've ever eaten. 2.5 hours and $185 later: one of the worst dinners I've ever had.
- An expensive disappointment!YumyumDined on 2/14/2014The worst service I can remember. We had to get the waiters attention to request cocktails, menus, bread... We even had to pour our own wine! We felt invisible. The chicken cordon bleu was overcooked and dry and way too salty. It was in a soggy puff pastry and the whole thing was inedible! I just ate the green beans and sweet potato that came with it. My husbands cassoulet was not quite as bad but still very ordinary. For dessert I had the creme brûlée and he had the soufflé. Both were ok but nothing out of the ordinary. I would not recommend this place. For the money there are many other restaurants in the area that serve delicious food with fine service.Special Features:
- Romantic Valentine's Day DinnerValentineDined on 2/14/2014Excellent evening, seated by the fireplace, waitstaff courteous and informed, food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014Visited Le Chateau for my anniversary...great food and service. It was a Saturday night and the had a band playing which was nice. If you are looking for a restaurant to impress your date or do not mine spending some money they I recommend this place. This is not the place for anyone who does not like to open up their walletSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/8/2014Food not as expecteded for the price. Very romantic, very good svc. Grounds are beautiful.Special Features:
- Great ServiceChrisDined on 2/8/2014Great Service - Steve, our waiter, was very helpful with food choices and making for my wife an unbelieveble night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly MediocreDadsterDined on 2/1/2014The service was slow and confused which resulted in one late and cold entre which had to be sent back for reheating, a luke warm boullibase and a tardy presentation of the dessert souffle which had been ordered at the outset of the meal, giving the kitchen plenty of time for proper and timely preparation. We will not return.
- Not up to expectations -OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/25/2014For the first time ever neither the food nor the service were anything more than adequate. The service was "distracted" to the point that we needed to ask for sugar with the coffee and our wine, after the initial pour was left for us to pour. The fish entre came out warm, not hot and we needed to ask to have them reheated. in general, all 4 entrees were tasteless and the accompanying sides were sampled and left on the plates. The escargot, our favorite appetizer had very little taste, and any hint of garlic was missing. The Caesar salad looked lifeless, but the special beet salad was good. This dinner was a decided "miss" and if we had not been there many times before we would not return. What happened?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greaa food and atmosphereSethCDined on 1/12/2014Went for dinner. Great on all counts. I would highly recommend. Friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/25/2013This restaurant is extremely overrated. From the moment we walked through the door, we experienced clumsy and amateurish service. What was envisioned to be a special occassion ended up being an event to be endured. The faux-French accent was very grating. The food was pedestrian at best. The Beef Wellington was a complete failure. It was Christmas Day, so I understand the staff was working extremely hard. Based upon that fact, I would give this place another chance. To drive as far as we did, only amplified the disappoint.
- Weekend before ChristmasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/21/2013My husband and I invited another couple to join us at Le Chateau. It was our first time there and we were looking forward to the whole experience. We first had a cocktail at the bar and got seated about 20 minutes early because our table was ready. It took about 10 minutes for someone to come over and take a drink order. From that point on the dinner and service was excellent. I was disappointed to see a women in jeans and a young man in a hooded sweatshirt and Mets baseball cap. If you are going to allow this then the dress code should be casual.(When I called to confirm, I was told jackets preferred and ties optional). We thought the holiday decorations could have been better. A great place and we would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- A little disappointed in theDeanDined on 12/18/2013A little disappointed in the very small size of the servings for the price. Food quality was not exceptional that would have warranted the price/size of meals.Special Features:
- A Bucket List ExpierenceD203Dined on 12/13/2013We had the privlidge of enjoying a Chefs tasting of over 8 courses from award winning Chef Marc Woll. The food was impeccable, creative and flavorly masterful. From outstanding frou gras to baked goat geese encrusted chocolate croutons in a pomegranate and cranberry salad to venison that melted in your mouth while bursting in flavor. Decadent soufflés and uniquely incredible free standing creme brûlée. The service was top notch attentive. We were even blessed with after dinner champagne with the owner, Chef and kitchen staff. This goes down as one of my top dining expierences in the world. I highly reccomend La Chateau for an exquisite special occasion dining expierence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Just as goodEDWARDS52VIPDined on 12/8/2013Use to go with my parents when I was young. Now in my 50's it is still just as good as it was in my 20's. Only down fall it was a far distance for us to make it one of our regular restaurants. But we will definitely go back. Food and service where both exceptionally good.Special Features:
- Great Thanksgiving dinnerRobertDined on 11/28/2013We enjoyed Thanksgiving Dinner at Le Chateau this year.....wonderful and diverse menu....from Lobster Bisque to Stuffed Trout and over souffles for dessert! The staff seemed a little overwhelmed but it was an outstanding dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Big DisappointmentDeeboDined on 11/28/2013Having lived in Le Chateau's neighborhood for 30 years, we have dined there on many occasions. Although the staff was, as usual, friendly, what emanated from the kitchen was disappointing and -- shocking -- lukewarm. The menu listed an appetizer as leek crepes that turned out to be beggar's purses and all three were...tepid. A veal chop entree, too, was delivered congealed and lukewarm. When sent back to the kitchen, it returned in the same condition. When the check came, two glasses of wine we hadn't ordered had been added to our bill. Furthermore, no allowance had been made for the trips our meals made back and forth to the kitchen, nor for the excruciatingly slow service we encountered. All in all, a disappointing experience.