Le Chat Noir
4907 Wisconsin AV NW
Washington, DC 20016Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Le Chat Noir
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lechatnoirrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2022442044
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Thierry Sanchez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Le Chat Perché Room can be your own space dedicated to celebrating an event among friends or hosting a conference for colleagues. A variety of setting suited to a seating dinner, a buffet or cocktail gathering with style and enduring appeal. Let us know if we can help you plan an event.
- Private Party Contact: Marie Ziar 8773765110
A word from Le Chat Noir
Quote as “unpretentious but stylish”, Le Chat Noir, casual bistro-style with Parisian left-bank feel features classic, traditional French cuisine and a large selection of savory and sweet crepes. The Wine Lounge atop Le Chat Noir restaurant pays homage to vintage -- wine-making and a retrospect to Comics Black & White silent films. With an impressive wine list and a wide-range of cocktails for you to choose from, it is a place to share an intimate moment. Cozy home-like ambiance, we look forward to nourishing you and tantalizing your taste buds in our art nouveau inspired Restaurant and Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Chat Noir reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (108)fit for foodies (64)special occasion (46)romantic (46)great for brunch (38)great for lunch (34)great for outdoor dining (32)notable wine list (26)good for groups (9)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- A bit noisy ...happy2dineDined on 10/18/2014...for a group of 6 to comfortably talk across the table on a recent Saturday night, mainly due to the closeness of the tables. But the intimacy wasn't a bad thing, and the food was excellent. We had seafood and butternut squash galettes, beef bourguignon, salmon, pork T-bone and several salads, including the endive with walnut and roquefort cheese (bracingly bitter, offset by the sweetness of apple). Recommend Belgian dark chocolate tart. Only complaint: the Syrah wine by the glass was not just room temperature - it was warm -- too warm, as if it had been poured into a glass from a dishwasher in mid-drying cycle. But the ambiance was jolly, service attentive and we will definitely go again. Reservations recommended.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014All around disappointment. Service was really spotty. The food was tepid and needed to be sent back to be hot. Then we waited forever for the bill. I will never, ever go back.
- Waiter acted not too professionallyLadiesnightoutDined on 10/16/2014The waiter either didn't understand English or was just not paying attention to our order. Instead of a bottle of white wine we ordered, he brought out four glasses of red wine. He also had difficulty understanding our food order. Otherwise he was polite but seemed confused the entire time. Maybe he was new. Menu: quite limited. Wine list limited. Liked the location, even street parking available.Special Features:
- Reminds us of Le GaloisHerbDined on 10/12/2014A really nice french bistro restaurant. We miss this type of informal, moderately priced French place in DC. The cornish hen dish was superb. And I really liked the tongue appetizer. It could use a longer list of 1/2 bottles of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro lunch datelive2eatVIPDined on 10/10/2014We enjoyed a lovely lunch on a rainy fall day - the bistro atmosphere was cozy and reminded us of our trip to Paris, so it was perfect. For a Friday afternoon there were enough people there to feel comfortable, with a bit of conversational din, nice neighborhood vibe. The menu was varied and had a lot of yummy sounding dishes - we had escargot, crepes de mer, merguez sandwich - all of which were very tasty. We will definitely return to try more dishes and it might become our new Friday off lunch spot.Special Features:
- Excellent as usual.mangiabeneDined on 10/7/2014My guest and I arrived at the tail end of the restaurant's cooking and serving schedule. Nonetheless, the staff were gracious and we never felt rushed. The food, of course, was delicious as it always is.Special Features:
- Many menu items not availableArleyDined on 9/21/2014The food we got was fine. And the service wasn't terrible, but I didn't have a better place to record my disappointment that the restaurant was out out of many (at least a third) of their entrees at 7:30 on a Sunday night. I understand things run out, but this is too much of the menu. Some of it was apparently due to a seasonal turnover, but really, if there is seasonal turnover, then the menu should be changed at the same time so that patrons don't choose items that aren't available. Frankly not acceptable.
- Nice for small partiesfrenchfoodfanDined on 9/21/2014We had a wonderful birthday party for my mother. The buckwheat crepes were delicious, as was the tuna.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid, as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2014Their food is solid, always well presented, the special crepe (picarde) I had was stellar. Sitting in the outdoor/porch area is perfect on a lovely evening like the one we enjoyed. Love this neighborhood standby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lee41VIPDined on 9/18/2014The Vendanges tasting menu, with wine pairings, was splendid -- interesting food, well chosen wine. I'm a semi-regular, with a francophile friend, and we'll return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What we nededSirOutalotDined on 9/15/2014A quiet spot to rendezvous with an old friend. Great food selection, preparation, and presentation. Service was good, but waiters were occasionally hard to catch. Good value - we'll go again.Special Features:
- very good food overall, slow svcDanManVIPDined on 9/12/2014loved bread; wine by glass good value; salads tasty, "medium well" strip steak was way overcooked, but rare one okay; desserts delicious, service was slow - it was busy but service still should have been faster.Special Features:
- wonderful eveningjoansDined on 9/10/2014We were a party of 5. Everyone was delighted with their meal. Standard French fare like escaargot and steak et frites were great. Two of us were thrilled to see calves liver offered and it was exquisitely prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Chat's meowladieswholunchDined on 9/7/2014Been meaning to go there for a while, and glad I finally did. My husband had a wonderful steak au poivre--tender and flavorful--and I had a delicious chicken crepe with lemon cream sauce and a tasty arugula salad with chevre. We had a lovely dinner here--we were headed for a movie and so unfortunately did not have time for profiteroles, but that is my favorite dessert, and on the off-chance that they are as excellent as everything else we ate there, we WILL be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanHardtoimpressDined on 9/5/2014Cozy French bistro... Delicious appetizer crapes and dessert profiterole were the best I've had! Bon AppetiteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty foodDanManVIPDined on 9/5/2014bread great, tasty tenderloin, biggest pc of quiche ever/tasty, great fries, excellent Chocolat Liegeois (fudge sundae...), good service, bit crowded/noisy but not worst by far, worth it for the food.Special Features:
- Feels Like ParisBethesdaEmptyNesterVIPDined on 8/30/2014The tables are too close together, and the noise level is very high because it is crowded, but the food is delicious and we will happily continue eating at Le Chat Noir. The food is fresh and beautifully presented. A little bit of Paris, ten minutes from home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood Restaurantmargaux321Dined on 8/25/2014The service staff is very attentive. Bread and butter is delicious. The food is excellent with a very good wine list, the desserts are fabulous. Tuesdays, 1/2 price on their selection of wines is a good value. Mondays 3 course dinner at a reduced price is a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem.masabarjDined on 8/22/2014A nice quiet neighborhood restaurant with welcoming reception, knowledged and friendly waiters, small but diverse menus, great cooks as food was attractively presented, fatefully seasoned, and nice sized portions.(had to ask for doggy box). Nice place for a dinner date. A little pricey but worth it. If you are so inclined, you may practice your French language skills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastique, Magnifique, Parfait!WineauxInAlexandriaVIPDined on 8/21/2014This was just a great experience! If the sister restaurant is like eating in Montmarte, Le Chat Noir is like Limoges ... Just a perfect, well-appointed, small restaurant serving classic French cuisine. The staff are friendly and attentive. I would suggest broadening the wine list a bit, Le Grenier's is bit more extensive. Looking forward to returning!Special Features:
- Place to CelebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014Took a special friend out for a birthaday dinner and everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for a college visit brunch!DisneyGirlVIPDined on 8/17/2014We had a WONDERFUL brunch with our American University freshman on a Sunday afternoon. Attentive service, FANTASTIC food, and nice ambiance. Will definitely return on future college visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Chat Noir is NeatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014I expected a typical to average meal, slightly above average at best. However, I ended up feeling really good about the food, the place and the service. Maybe it is because of the beautiful Sunday, but whatever it was we had a really enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PrindineVIPDined on 8/16/2014Excellent food and service, even during busy Saturday night of Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014Continues as all time neighborhood fave! Super service and great food.Special Features:
- A neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/12/2014I took a friend from North Virginia, telling him it looked and felt Parisian and was as good as Paris. My friend is a foodie. He agreed. All the service people were French and friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu. Our meals were great.Special Features:
- One of the Best!JerryDined on 8/12/2014As usual, the menu had a wide choice of excellent meals. We opted for menu and not specials. The Pate is still the best around. We shared a calf's liver preparation with apples and polenta. It was fantastic. Adam was on top of his game. The wine he recommended , Madarin, was unusual and perfect with the meal. Our first meeting was greatly enhanced by the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemKgDcDined on 8/12/2014We love going to Chat Noir for a glass of wine and a delicious french meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French Dining (and Lunching)ValuesvalueVIPDined on 8/11/2014We are lucky to have Chat Noir in our neighborhood. It is our go-to spot whenever we want to celebrate with family or for a romantic dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Le Chat Noir is always good, usually superb --a model of a French bistro-- and in our neighborhood. Perfect moule-frites, steak-frites, crepes and appealing wine specials.Special Features:
- too busyleahcDined on 8/10/2014Although we did not go to get the restaurant week menu, it was restaurant week. Place over crowded and service really poor. Food good. I have been there several times before and it was never like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy but...dorkDined on 8/10/2014We were a party of 4 for brunch. The place was packed. The waiters were buzzing around tightly packed tables. It seemed that there was only one person in the kitchen because the wait for the food was very long. What we ate was really good food it just took way too long to arrive at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris in DCRTS2Dined on 8/3/2014Wonderful little place in NW DC. Service was very good, food was terrific, wine was interesting. Will have to return a few more times to really get a feel for the menu. Everything was fresh. Tiny place, choice to eat outside if you wish but we preferred being inside. Comfortable, quiet, clean, elegant, all in all a good experience. Prices were fair, wine pricey but where isn't it. We will return.Special Features:
- Something has changedUnhappyDined on 8/3/2014Usually, I like Le Chat Noir very much and look forward to visiting. This time...not so. Wines were mediocre,food was inconsistent, both in flavor and in attention to preparation. Service was pleasant but non responsive. So, with sadness,won't be back to this charming spot.
- Dependably goodrobertadcVIPDined on 8/3/2014Le Chat Noir is one of those places that I can count upon to be open all afternoon and provide a good basic meal. As such, I tend to come at awkward times, and the service is sometimes quirky. This weekend we enjoyed the "outdoor seating", and found it pleasant and relaxing. I enjoyeda very nice salmon dish with cous cous. This is a good dependable neighborhood restaurant to which I will surely return.Special Features:
- WonderfulOceanLawyerDined on 8/2/2014Great neighborhood place, consistently good food and wine and service.Special Features:
- Lovely French RestaurantMarieDined on 8/2/2014This is a great spot for dining in the neighborhood. Service was efficient and professional. Food was good. Wine by the glass is very reasonable. Would definitely return for brunch or dinner.Special Features:
- the perfect choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014We went here as a send off treat for a friend. it was a perfect choice. Great service. Delicious food and a low noise volume so we could talk.Special Features:
- Gloomy and not very goodKarineVIPDined on 7/18/2014When I made the reservation, I asked for a decent-lit spot (I knew from previous experiences that when it gets dark outside, they make it darker inside, turning the inside dining area really gloomy, maybe they think it is chick or romantic? Wrong). They gave us instead a table that may have had the poorest light in the whole place. This time the food was just mediocre, forgettable; with the only, and consistent, exception of bread and butter.
- always a pleasureFoodie0211Dined on 7/18/2014very consistent French food; pleasant, attentive service. perfect for a Friday evening.Special Features: