Le Chat Noir
4907 Wisconsin AV NW
Washington, DC 20016Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Le Chat Noir
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lechatnoirrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2022442044
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Thierry Sanchez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Le Chat Perché Room can be your own space dedicated to celebrating an event among friends or hosting a conference for colleagues. A variety of setting suited to a seating dinner, a buffet or cocktail gathering with style and enduring appeal. Let us know if we can help you plan an event.
- Private Party Contact: Marie Ziar 8773765110
A word from Le Chat Noir
Quote as “unpretentious but stylish”, Le Chat Noir, casual bistro-style with Parisian left-bank feel features classic, traditional French cuisine and a large selection of savory and sweet crepes. The Wine Lounge atop Le Chat Noir restaurant pays homage to vintage -- wine-making and a retrospect to Comics Black & White silent films. With an impressive wine list and a wide-range of cocktails for you to choose from, it is a place to share an intimate moment. Cozy home-like ambiance, we look forward to nourishing you and tantalizing your taste buds in our art nouveau inspired Restaurant and Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Chat Noir reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (112)fit for foodies (63)romantic (56)special occasion (51)great for lunch (40)great for brunch (39)great for outdoor dining (37)notable wine list (27)good for groups (12)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great Neighborhood Restaurantmargaux321Dined on 8/25/2014The service staff is very attentive. Bread and butter is delicious. The food is excellent with a very good wine list, the desserts are fabulous. Tuesdays, 1/2 price on their selection of wines is a good value. Mondays 3 course dinner at a reduced price is a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem.masabarjDined on 8/22/2014A nice quiet neighborhood restaurant with welcoming reception, knowledged and friendly waiters, small but diverse menus, great cooks as food was attractively presented, fatefully seasoned, and nice sized portions.(had to ask for doggy box). Nice place for a dinner date. A little pricey but worth it. If you are so inclined, you may practice your French language skills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastique, Magnifique, Parfait!WineauxInAlexandriaVIPDined on 8/21/2014This was just a great experience! If the sister restaurant is like eating in Montmarte, Le Chat Noir is like Limoges ... Just a perfect, well-appointed, small restaurant serving classic French cuisine. The staff are friendly and attentive. I would suggest broadening the wine list a bit, Le Grenier's is bit more extensive. Looking forward to returning!Special Features:
- Place to CelebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014Took a special friend out for a birthaday dinner and everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for a college visit brunch!DisneyGirlVIPDined on 8/17/2014We had a WONDERFUL brunch with our American University freshman on a Sunday afternoon. Attentive service, FANTASTIC food, and nice ambiance. Will definitely return on future college visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PrindineVIPDined on 8/16/2014Excellent food and service, even during busy Saturday night of Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014Continues as all time neighborhood fave! Super service and great food.Special Features:
- A neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/12/2014I took a friend from North Virginia, telling him it looked and felt Parisian and was as good as Paris. My friend is a foodie. He agreed. All the service people were French and friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu. Our meals were great.Special Features:
- One of the Best!JerryDined on 8/12/2014As usual, the menu had a wide choice of excellent meals. We opted for menu and not specials. The Pate is still the best around. We shared a calf's liver preparation with apples and polenta. It was fantastic. Adam was on top of his game. The wine he recommended , Madarin, was unusual and perfect with the meal. Our first meeting was greatly enhanced by the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemKgDcDined on 8/12/2014We love going to Chat Noir for a glass of wine and a delicious french meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French Dining (and Lunching)ValuesvalueVIPDined on 8/11/2014We are lucky to have Chat Noir in our neighborhood. It is our go-to spot whenever we want to celebrate with family or for a romantic dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Le Chat Noir is always good, usually superb --a model of a French bistro-- and in our neighborhood. Perfect moule-frites, steak-frites, crepes and appealing wine specials.Special Features:
- too busyleahcDined on 8/10/2014Although we did not go to get the restaurant week menu, it was restaurant week. Place over crowded and service really poor. Food good. I have been there several times before and it was never like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy but...dorkDined on 8/10/2014We were a party of 4 for brunch. The place was packed. The waiters were buzzing around tightly packed tables. It seemed that there was only one person in the kitchen because the wait for the food was very long. What we ate was really good food it just took way too long to arrive at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris in DCRTS2Dined on 8/3/2014Wonderful little place in NW DC. Service was very good, food was terrific, wine was interesting. Will have to return a few more times to really get a feel for the menu. Everything was fresh. Tiny place, choice to eat outside if you wish but we preferred being inside. Comfortable, quiet, clean, elegant, all in all a good experience. Prices were fair, wine pricey but where isn't it. We will return.Special Features:
- Something has changedUnhappyDined on 8/3/2014Usually, I like Le Chat Noir very much and look forward to visiting. This time...not so. Wines were mediocre,food was inconsistent, both in flavor and in attention to preparation. Service was pleasant but non responsive. So, with sadness,won't be back to this charming spot.
- Dependably goodrobertadcVIPDined on 8/3/2014Le Chat Noir is one of those places that I can count upon to be open all afternoon and provide a good basic meal. As such, I tend to come at awkward times, and the service is sometimes quirky. This weekend we enjoyed the "outdoor seating", and found it pleasant and relaxing. I enjoyeda very nice salmon dish with cous cous. This is a good dependable neighborhood restaurant to which I will surely return.Special Features:
- WonderfulOceanLawyerDined on 8/2/2014Great neighborhood place, consistently good food and wine and service.Special Features:
- Lovely French RestaurantMarieDined on 8/2/2014This is a great spot for dining in the neighborhood. Service was efficient and professional. Food was good. Wine by the glass is very reasonable. Would definitely return for brunch or dinner.Special Features:
- the perfect choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014We went here as a send off treat for a friend. it was a perfect choice. Great service. Delicious food and a low noise volume so we could talk.Special Features:
- always a pleasureFoodie0211Dined on 7/18/2014very consistent French food; pleasant, attentive service. perfect for a Friday evening.Special Features:
- Great way to celebrate Bastille DayKismetVIPDined on 7/14/2014For the second year, we celebrated Bastille Day at our wonderful neighborhood restaurant. The special menu gets better and better. The atmosphere was festive and we made friends with other diners!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bastille Day TreatMikeDined on 7/14/2014As usual, for the past 20 years, we've dined at Le Chat Noir on Bastille Day (14 July); and as usual, this great French dining spot provided a typical and tasty French meal that was delightful to order and eat. Our favorites were everything............for each of us always orders a different appetizer, entree, and dessert.......and then we each share...........never disappointing and always a treat. Often we eat there during midweek and get their superb cheese platters. Nos feliciations au chef!!Special Features:
- Great Quiet & Relaxing EveningSDandBCVIPDined on 7/12/2014A friend and I had wonderful evening at La Chat Noir. All facets of the dining experience was outstanding. When we arrived the restaurant was quite busy and the table we would have preferred was not available. Thus I asked if they had a bar where we could order a glass of wine while waiting for our table. Once we got to second level were offered table service and gladly accepted. It turned out sitting on the second level is far preferable from the ambience and privacy, to the very low noise level. The food was delicious and the service was very personal and truely outstanding. Or server recommended a really good wine that went well with all the courses. In all it was one of the better dining experiences I've had in several months.Special Features:
- Food Good-Service BadFresserDined on 7/12/2014Certain dishes here are excellent, such as the fish and the grilled scallops and shrimp. Others are fair. Unfortunately, the one thing that my party of four agreed upon was that the service is poor. It may be better on other nights, but on Saturday night it was just terrible. Our order was taken in a timely manner, but otherwise, service was slow and we felt almost ignored. Food came out hot, but not together. Water glasses were not refilled, although staff passed by our table several times, filling glasses at nearby tables. Wine was not refilled. Staff circulated to offer more bread, but totally ignored our table. It appears that there are sufficient staff, but the organization of the staff appears poor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bastille Day Special!CinCinDined on 7/12/2014We went there for their Bastille Day celebration specials. The meals were very good and a good deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food goodcatsmeowDined on 7/12/2014Food was good. All service personnel great, except the waitress. Nice ambiance.Special Features:
- Food not bad, people greatAnonDined on 7/11/2014The endive salad was so-so, buckwheat grits were gritty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great servicesukiDined on 7/10/2014Went to Le Chat Noir for my husband's birthday. Reading about all the raves about their crepes ... we had to try one. We shared the crepe fouree, which did not disappoint. It was excellent. The evening ended very well as I had alerted them of his birthday and his sweet, but he being diabetic would not have been able to eat their regular desserts. The server suggested a smooth chocolate mousse that they didn't have any added sugar. It was very tasty. They all sang and the owner came up to our table later on and made it a point to wish my husband, which was really nice of him. Though our entrees weren't great, I wouldn't write them off yet. Did love their crepe. So would definitely go back for their crepes.Special Features:
- Consistently wonderful.StephenZDined on 7/6/2014Love in the neighborhood and has always been a great dining experience for dinner or weekend brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely delicious.LifeStriderDined on 7/5/2014I went there with my girlfriend for brunch. The food was amazing. The egg fritadas were fantastic, and I had the steak. It was fabulous, and probably involved a pound of butter somewhere, but eh...French food. The service was great, and it was a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Love it but slooooowyummyVIPDined on 7/3/2014Le Chat Noir is a wonderful neighborhood spot but be prepared to wait for your food. I rarely get out of there in less than 2 hours. If you have the time for a leisurely meal, then it's a great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotBethesdalocalDined on 6/20/2014Having a drink upstairs is alway a good way to start dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousIrnieVIPDined on 6/20/2014This was one of several visits we have made to le Chat Noir. Duck, etc appetizer was fabulous. Scallop main dish was among the best I have ever eaten. Congratulations. We will return again.Special Features:
- Great Neiborhood RestaurantJaneDined on 6/19/2014We have dined at Le Chat Noir for years and love it. It's quiet, the ambiance is lovely and the food is consistently very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!FoodieVIPDined on 6/17/2014Happened upon this place by chance the other day. It is delightful. Tried the escargot and tomato tart. Terrific! Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem in Northwest DCjc6202VIPDined on 6/15/2014We celebrated our anniversary with two friends at Le Chat Noir and were glad we chose it - a lovely French restaurant, very reasonably priced with excellent food and superb service. We sat out front on the glassed in porch and enjoyed the closest thing to a Paris sidewalk café you can get in DC. Everything was delicious, especially notable were the appetizer crepes. The wine list has great choices that are not outrageously priced. Easy to park in the local streets, no issues there. All in all, a pleasant surprise and yes, we'll be back.Special Features:
- Perfect Early Brunchbcole72Dined on 6/14/2014When your mom says it's the best Bouillabaisse she's ever had you have to be happy.Special Features:
- Aways wonderfulOceanMarkDined on 6/13/2014Great to have Le Chat Noir in the neighborhood, to be treated like a person, and to consistently enjoy good food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant evening outOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/11/2014First time at Le Chat Noir, although I had heard good things about it. Welcome was friendly, wednesday night wine special was a nice bonus. Enjoyed the food, service was excellent. Nice to know this is a local option!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.