Le Chat Noir
4907 Wisconsin AV NW
Washington, DC 20016Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Le Chat Noir
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lechatnoirrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (202) 244-2044
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Thierry Sanchez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Le Chat Perché Room can be your own space dedicated to celebrating an event among friends or hosting a conference for colleagues. A variety of setting suited to a seating dinner, a buffet or cocktail gathering with style and enduring appeal. Let us know if we can help you plan an event.
- Private Party Contact: Marie Ziar 8773765110
A word from Le Chat Noir
Quote as “unpretentious but stylish”, Le Chat Noir, casual bistro-style with Parisian left-bank feel features classic, traditional French cuisine and a large selection of savory and sweet crepes. The Wine Lounge atop Le Chat Noir restaurant pays homage to vintage -- wine-making and a retrospect to Comics Black & White silent films. With an impressive wine list and a wide-range of cocktails for you to choose from, it is a place to share an intimate moment. Cozy home-like ambiance, we look forward to nourishing you and tantalizing your taste buds in our art nouveau inspired Restaurant and Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Chat Noir reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (114)fit for foodies (71)romantic (50)special occasion (45)great for lunch (39)great for brunch (34)notable wine list (34)great for outdoor dining (22)good for groups (12)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014One of the best restaurants in DC! My wife and I absolutely love Le Chat Noir. The combination of food and service is excellent! I would give 6 stars if I could! Thank you always for a wonderful meal and night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable neighborhood spotESinDCDined on 11/21/2014Great spot for a Friday night dinner for three adults to catch up with each other. Although somewhat noisy, we were still able to carry on our conversation. Tables in the French style are close to each other and almost uncomfortably so but it was ok. Dinner portion crepes and beef bourgignon were just right and so was sharing the dessert profiteroles. A great go-to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- family dinnersOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/21/2014We have been to Le Chat Noir several times. The food is terrific. The Moules Mariniere is outstanding, and the crepes are delicious. Wine list offers a good variety at reasonable prices. Staff is friendly and attentive. We bring our young son and he is welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nouveau Beaujolais Day!Lee41VIPDined on 11/20/2014We enjoy Le Chat Noir often, but their special menus are a particular treat. Poitrine de porc was splendid with an unusually good young, fresh wine, and the desserts were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local place for French cuisineericlisaDined on 11/18/2014Been there thrice and each time great. have specials each day including half price wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but problems with the servicesdgrl5Dined on 11/16/2014I have no complaints about the food. My issue is with the service. We had a reservation for brunch and were seated right away and given menus. After 5+ minutes, no one had come by to see if we wanted coffee or something else to drink, even though the restaurant was less than half full. For most of the meal, the staff seemed unhappy to be there and annoyed by our presence. To top it off, my husband asked for the bill and then pulled out his credit card and placed it on the table while we waited for the bill. A staff member (not our waiter) grabbed the card off the table without saying anything and headed to the back of the restaurant, even though the credit card machine was on the host desk three feet from our table and we hadn't even seen the bill. I went to the back of the restaurant to ask what was going on, and the staff member said he would be bringing the bill and the credit card to us. I asked him why he had taken the card and he said it seemed more logically that way. They finally brought us the bill, and then used the credit card machine three feet away from us to run the credit card. The whole thing was just weird.
- A good experienceRTS2VIPDined on 11/14/2014A return visit. The place was crowded with couples and groups, lots of little children. Noise was not a problem, service was timely and professional, and the food was both good and outstanding. Let's be clear, I spend a month a year in Paris; this place is nothing like a restaurant in Paris, any more than Le Diplomate is. But it doesn't have to be authentically French to be a good experience. Le Chat Noir succeeds because it consistently provides good food and good service for a reasonable price in a comfortable environment. Seems like a simple accomplishment, however, as a frequent restaurant patron, I know it is an accomplishment that few restaurants in DC currently achieve. Try this place, you will have a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Very good traditional French food. Great bistro setting and good and affordable wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BD20VIPDined on 11/10/2014We have eaten at this restaurant many times. This time the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Consistently goodBethesdanDined on 11/10/2014This is a reliable place, always good French cuisine and offering interesting specials to vary the menu. The crêpes are a special delight--and so is the bread.Special Features:
- GreatGSCMJOEDined on 11/8/2014Food was sensational. I had the lamb stew and my lady had the salmon. Exquisite onion soup. Great petite salads and the chocolate mousse was fantastic.Special Features:
- A bit crowded and noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014Music was loud and turned down immediately on my request--much appreciated. Tables are very close together. Service was very good and very attentive and quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itChasRCDined on 11/2/2014Wonderful food and excellent service! We can't wait to be in the neighborhood again to enjoy a few other entrees. The Bijoux de boeuf au poivre was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch venue with great food.dausyandtheoDined on 10/28/2014Had a great lunch with a dear friend at LevChat Noir. We both had beautiful salads. I also had the rich and flavorful onion soup which is one of the best preparations I've found localky. Le Chat Noir is definitely a wonderful food find and one of Washington's best kept secrets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit noisy ...happy2dineDined on 10/18/2014...for a group of 6 to comfortably talk across the table on a recent Saturday night, mainly due to the closeness of the tables. But the intimacy wasn't a bad thing, and the food was excellent. We had seafood and butternut squash galettes, beef bourguignon, salmon, pork T-bone and several salads, including the endive with walnut and roquefort cheese (bracingly bitter, offset by the sweetness of apple). Recommend Belgian dark chocolate tart. Only complaint: the Syrah wine by the glass was not just room temperature - it was warm -- too warm, as if it had been poured into a glass from a dishwasher in mid-drying cycle. But the ambiance was jolly, service attentive and we will definitely go again. Reservations recommended.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014All around disappointment. Service was really spotty. The food was tepid and needed to be sent back to be hot. Then we waited forever for the bill. I will never, ever go back.
- Waiter acted not too professionallyLadiesnightoutDined on 10/16/2014The waiter either didn't understand English or was just not paying attention to our order. Instead of a bottle of white wine we ordered, he brought out four glasses of red wine. He also had difficulty understanding our food order. Otherwise he was polite but seemed confused the entire time. Maybe he was new. Menu: quite limited. Wine list limited. Liked the location, even street parking available.Special Features:
- Reminds us of Le GaloisHerbDined on 10/12/2014A really nice french bistro restaurant. We miss this type of informal, moderately priced French place in DC. The cornish hen dish was superb. And I really liked the tongue appetizer. It could use a longer list of 1/2 bottles of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro lunch datelive2eatVIPDined on 10/10/2014We enjoyed a lovely lunch on a rainy fall day - the bistro atmosphere was cozy and reminded us of our trip to Paris, so it was perfect. For a Friday afternoon there were enough people there to feel comfortable, with a bit of conversational din, nice neighborhood vibe. The menu was varied and had a lot of yummy sounding dishes - we had escargot, crepes de mer, merguez sandwich - all of which were very tasty. We will definitely return to try more dishes and it might become our new Friday off lunch spot.Special Features:
- Excellent as usual.mangiabeneDined on 10/7/2014My guest and I arrived at the tail end of the restaurant's cooking and serving schedule. Nonetheless, the staff were gracious and we never felt rushed. The food, of course, was delicious as it always is.Special Features:
- Many menu items not availableArleyDined on 9/21/2014The food we got was fine. And the service wasn't terrible, but I didn't have a better place to record my disappointment that the restaurant was out out of many (at least a third) of their entrees at 7:30 on a Sunday night. I understand things run out, but this is too much of the menu. Some of it was apparently due to a seasonal turnover, but really, if there is seasonal turnover, then the menu should be changed at the same time so that patrons don't choose items that aren't available. Frankly not acceptable.
- Nice for small partiesfrenchfoodfanDined on 9/21/2014We had a wonderful birthday party for my mother. The buckwheat crepes were delicious, as was the tuna.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid, as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2014Their food is solid, always well presented, the special crepe (picarde) I had was stellar. Sitting in the outdoor/porch area is perfect on a lovely evening like the one we enjoyed. Love this neighborhood standby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lee41VIPDined on 9/18/2014The Vendanges tasting menu, with wine pairings, was splendid -- interesting food, well chosen wine. I'm a semi-regular, with a francophile friend, and we'll return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What we nededSirOutalotDined on 9/15/2014A quiet spot to rendezvous with an old friend. Great food selection, preparation, and presentation. Service was good, but waiters were occasionally hard to catch. Good value - we'll go again.Special Features:
- very good food overall, slow svcDanManVIPDined on 9/12/2014loved bread; wine by glass good value; salads tasty, "medium well" strip steak was way overcooked, but rare one okay; desserts delicious, service was slow - it was busy but service still should have been faster.Special Features:
- wonderful eveningjoansDined on 9/10/2014We were a party of 5. Everyone was delighted with their meal. Standard French fare like escaargot and steak et frites were great. Two of us were thrilled to see calves liver offered and it was exquisitely prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Chat's meowladieswholunchDined on 9/7/2014Been meaning to go there for a while, and glad I finally did. My husband had a wonderful steak au poivre--tender and flavorful--and I had a delicious chicken crepe with lemon cream sauce and a tasty arugula salad with chevre. We had a lovely dinner here--we were headed for a movie and so unfortunately did not have time for profiteroles, but that is my favorite dessert, and on the off-chance that they are as excellent as everything else we ate there, we WILL be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanHardtoimpressDined on 9/5/2014Cozy French bistro... Delicious appetizer crapes and dessert profiterole were the best I've had! Bon AppetiteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty foodDanManVIPDined on 9/5/2014bread great, tasty tenderloin, biggest pc of quiche ever/tasty, great fries, excellent Chocolat Liegeois (fudge sundae...), good service, bit crowded/noisy but not worst by far, worth it for the food.Special Features:
- French bistro for every dayBelladouxVIPDined on 8/31/2014Le Chat Noir is a neighborhood place in Tenleytown/Friendship Heights. The outdoor seating is actually an add-on like a sunroom; climatized, with lots of windows which open in nice weather. On this visit, it was very warm so we chose to sit indoors. The food is traditional and well-prepared; onion soup, hangar steak, eggs benedict for brunch. The wine list is all French of course. The service is consistently attentive without being overbearing. Judging by the groups around us, it's clearly a favorite for multigenerational outings. In a world where you almost always have to shout to be heard in a restaurant, you will find this charming and intimate bistro a welcome change.Special Features:
- Feels Like ParisBethesdaEmptyNesterVIPDined on 8/30/2014The tables are too close together, and the noise level is very high because it is crowded, but the food is delicious and we will happily continue eating at Le Chat Noir. The food is fresh and beautifully presented. A little bit of Paris, ten minutes from home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood Restaurantmargaux321Dined on 8/25/2014The service staff is very attentive. Bread and butter is delicious. The food is excellent with a very good wine list, the desserts are fabulous. Tuesdays, 1/2 price on their selection of wines is a good value. Mondays 3 course dinner at a reduced price is a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem.masabarjDined on 8/22/2014A nice quiet neighborhood restaurant with welcoming reception, knowledged and friendly waiters, small but diverse menus, great cooks as food was attractively presented, fatefully seasoned, and nice sized portions.(had to ask for doggy box). Nice place for a dinner date. A little pricey but worth it. If you are so inclined, you may practice your French language skills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastique, Magnifique, Parfait!WineauxInAlexandriaVIPDined on 8/21/2014This was just a great experience! If the sister restaurant is like eating in Montmarte, Le Chat Noir is like Limoges ... Just a perfect, well-appointed, small restaurant serving classic French cuisine. The staff are friendly and attentive. I would suggest broadening the wine list a bit, Le Grenier's is bit more extensive. Looking forward to returning!Special Features:
- Place to CelebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014Took a special friend out for a birthaday dinner and everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for a college visit brunch!DisneyGirlVIPDined on 8/17/2014We had a WONDERFUL brunch with our American University freshman on a Sunday afternoon. Attentive service, FANTASTIC food, and nice ambiance. Will definitely return on future college visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Chat Noir is NeatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014I expected a typical to average meal, slightly above average at best. However, I ended up feeling really good about the food, the place and the service. Maybe it is because of the beautiful Sunday, but whatever it was we had a really enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PrindineVIPDined on 8/16/2014Excellent food and service, even during busy Saturday night of Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014Continues as all time neighborhood fave! Super service and great food.Special Features: