315 Fifth St.
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lecharm.com/
- Phone: (415) 546-6128
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday to Thursday 6pm - 9:30pm: Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Closed on Sunday and Monday and Closed for lunch
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Thierry Clement
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Entertainment, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
- Catering: Call for details
- Entertainment: Live Jazz on Thursday under our covered patio.
- Special Events: Bastille Day on July 14
A word from Le Charm
Prized by culinary cognoscenti for its good French food at bargain prices. Le Charm evokes a traditional bistro feel, with muted ocher walls and a copper-topped bar. The tented out door patio let you enjoy the patio space at any season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Charm reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (30)romantic (29)special occasion (25)good for groups (18)great for outdoor dining (15)notable wine list (12)late-night find (6)hot spot (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Le Charm is more than a Charm!QueenDined on 11/15/2014We wanted French food and found this by scrolling through Open Table...WOW, what a find! Great food, lovely surroundings, awesome service! Wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected treasure!KWGoldDined on 11/11/2014Went to Le Charm with friends at their suggestion, as they love French food and had been there several times. Everything was fabulous, from the appetizers to entrees to dessert. The service was attentive without being overdone, and it was easy to talk with our tablemates. Very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/30/2014We have been going to Le Charm for years now and it never fails to live up to our expectations.
- Great food - feels like ParisfoodTendenciesDined on 10/29/2014Le Charm is a great little French restaurant. You feel like you are in France, and the food is delicious. We went early so there were hardly any other people in the place. It was quiet and the service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs Attention to DetailsSalemOregonFoodieDined on 10/18/2014Our group of three adults were disappointed by the overall lackluster experience. The food was tired, the service slow and clumsy, the wine glasses terrible, as was the totally inappropriate decanter presented for our wine. The items on the menu were for the most part standard French dishes that are usually very tasty, it is hard to make coq au vin have no flavor, but this restaurant did it in spades. We will not return.
- Charming placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/16/2014Le Charm is a quaint little place with great French food. The onion soup was perfect along with the lamb chops. The escargot had a little too much garlic butter because you could not even know they were because they were drowned. Not a big deal really. They don't have a full bar so have a cocktail before you go. They do have nice wines. We were staying at the new Intercontinental and it was just a short couple of blocks walk.Special Features:
- Authentic French FaireOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2014My friends from Paris enjoyed a little taste of home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for foodiesEastBayDined on 10/15/2014Selected this restaurant based on reviews and location. We were seated promptly when we arrived at 6:33 for a 6:30 reservation. Our party of 4 each selected the prix fixe menu. All of us agreed the food was very good and worth a return visit. Additionally, we will be recommending this restaurant to others.Special Features:
- Generally very goodChuckDined on 10/4/2014This was the second time at this restaurant. The first time everything was perfect, excellent food, service, ambience.. That was a date night. The second time a party of four. Two of us had the special boeuf bourgingon which was a little flat. Another party had the rack of lamb which was excellent, very alive and exciting. Another party had the pork dish which was also excellent by her account. So I think this restaurant generally offers a very good dining experience.Special Features:
- A Lucky FindKarinCDined on 10/4/2014Le Charme is a beautiful restaurant offering a fabulous dining experience. The $35 three course prix fixe with four entrees to chose among was outstanding. Service was impeccable. We will definitely return upon our next visit to San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic French RestaurantalanbillVIPDined on 10/3/2014Le Charm was all the rage when it opened. Many years later, it is even better, but easier to get in. I love restaurants that have made it over the long haul and this is one of them. The outdoor (when the weather is good) dining is a true treat, and the neighborhood has improved immensely since it opened. This is a particularly good choice for out of town guests and they can practice their French!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - very nice patioBribuDined on 10/3/2014Food was good, not outstanding. Had the risotto with mushrooms- a little on the salty side. Bread was good. Patio looked really nice, but we were inside. Medium steaks were actually rare. Service was good and attentive.Special Features:
- France is HereDpererDined on 9/27/2014Very good French cooking. Familiar dishes if one has visited France. Friendly staff. Opens just at opening time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely A Charmfoodie777Dined on 9/27/2014Cute little restaurant with good food. Accommodated our small group even though we were running late. Recommend getting there early because they get very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great eveningtravelmentor1VIPDined on 9/26/2014loved it and our chat with the owner A real secret find and now I know its the sib;ing of L'ArdoiseSpecial Features:
- Nice BistroRosieVIPDined on 9/26/2014Very enjoyable evening. Waiter actually from France. Authentic French dishes, well-prepared. Surprised to find the restaurant in that neighborhood.Special Features:
- Le Charm es magnifique (sp?)PianoManVIPDined on 9/26/2014We've been to Le Charm several times. Always great. Sit outside (its not really outside - just a tent). Charming. Wine pour was huge. I did the prix fixe at $35 - a steal - Crab salad was wonderful and large. Risotto with mushroom was perfectly cooked. Biroche for dessert was incredible. My wife had the Cassoulet - huge dish with everything in it perfectly cooked. The wait staff is attentive and french. We had a quiet table for two near the back. Couldn't ask for anything more.Special Features:
- Jazz and food---a great ideaRrbernalDined on 9/25/2014Another pleasurable evening at one of my favorite French restaurants in the City. Perfect combo of excellent cuisine and Gypsy JazzSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint french restaurantPilotgalDined on 9/20/2014Very unassuming from the front and not in a place where there seems to be lots of business. You walk in and are met by some VERY nice people. The majority of the restaurant seems to be in a covered patio area. There are white lights everywhere and a clear plastic wall so that you can see green plants. Was very inviting and comfortable. The waiter was super nice and very easy going and helped with the wine. I had a Prix Fixe menu which I thought was an excellent value and very tasty. The Tomato, goat cheese Tart was fantastic and the steak was cooked perfectly. I'm not a pommes frites fan, but they weren't bad. Would have rather had another side choice. Dessert was a flour less chocolate cake which was also very nice.Special Features:
- Favorite French Restaurant in SF!PorkchopDined on 9/10/2014We love the food and the people here. We have been coming here for over a decade. This last time, we had the pike dumpling for the first time. The owner said this was only available in New York and Lyon. Loved the tart tartin. Will order a whole pie for my wife's birthday. Can't wait to return. We are regulars at Gary Danko and the menu and service here rivals Gary Danko!Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerbabsDined on 9/10/2014My husband insisted on a French restaurant for our anniversary :-), but we didn't have a huge budget. This place was great, the service was fantastic, the waiter was cheerful and speaking French, the food was delicious and kind of traditional French and we felt a bit like we were in Paris, except that the food came faster and everyone seemed happy.Special Features:
- Friendly French RestuarantgourmetbobDined on 8/23/2014Le Charm has a wonderful kitchen with the food done perfectly at moderate price. Service is professional, but friendly. We like it for a semi-special occasion dinner. Lively crowd of people enjoying great food and wine, Check out the three course choice for a great French meal at a bargain price,Special Features:
- Almost "Very Good"Chien47VIPDined on 8/22/2014Le Charm is a mixed experience. Traditionally French in the best way. Short menu that they execute well, overall. One can eat lightly or heartily. One big plus is that everything on the 3 course dinner menu is available a la carte. In two experiences the table service has been friendly but slow and inattentive. They do make everything on the premises, but they also run out. The tables are close together, so you will be in your neighbors conversations whether you want to be or not. I want to like it more than I do, but the flaws are more than slight annoyances.Special Features:
- Lily Chan, Realtor & RotarianChinalilyDined on 8/20/2014Always had a great time at this restaurant...Lena, Restaurant Owner & her wait staff, very attentive and cared about the service they provide. Highly recommend to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TermiteDined on 8/16/2014Food undercooked. Manager rude and condescending. Would NOT recommend this restaurant!
- VHung08VIPDined on 7/30/2014The braised pork was amazing, the mussels are really great in the white wine reduction, and i just can't resist the fries that come with garlic aioli. Only issue I had was with the wine. They don't have too large a selection for wines by the glass and the rhone I tried was a bit too oxygenated for my taste, started to taste a bit vinegar-like...
- The following 1136 reviews are from the Le Charm reviews archive.
- Good food, French serviceCal94530Dined on 7/3/2014This used to be one of our favourite restaurants. We have been visiting for years but no more. At our last meal a month ago we were amused by the distinctly Gallic character of the manager/server. She reminded us of those times we went to France and were treated with barely disguised disdain like unwelcome American tourists. This time we took two friends who were shocked by the offhand and dismissive attitude of this same server. It felt like she really really didn't want to be there or be pleasant but that's no reason to take it out on your customers. Once we gave the benefit of the doubt, twice is definitely not Le Charm!Special Features:
- Different experience 2nd timeIrinaskyVIPDined on 6/25/2014Went 2 years ago and was charmed by romantic atmosphere, great service and delicious food. Chose it again as a date night outing and was a bit disappointed by drafty room, shaky table, and stressed out waitress. The food was still delicious, and the wine as well. Should have gone for seafood risotto vs heavy cousuletteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French food with charm!KarenDined on 6/14/2014Very pleasant server and hostess/manager. Great food. Went for DAT 6/14/14 and they really didn't cheat on the portions/size of each course! Thank you for a great date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charmed by Le CharmmisquareVIPDined on 6/14/2014Great food and excellent service. We had 13 people in our party and everyone had a great time. Our waiter was friendly and gave us exceptional service.Special Features:
- FoodJENHVIPDined on 6/12/2014Food and portion was excellent. The risotto was cooked perfectly. Was planning to try the dine about town menu, but the prixe fixe menu had a better selection. Dessert was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/12/2014A lot of food offered for Dine About Town menu. Very accommodating and knowledgeable servers. Ended up taking some food home.Special Features:
- Local Restaurant HostessLocalPurpleLadyDined on 6/12/2014Dined alone and was very comfortable with attention and customer service. The customer service was only exceeded by the fine food and refreshing, crisp white Bordeaux. The food and wine was only exceeded by the excellent customer service. Can't pick one over the other. Had the escargot, osso bucco (so tender it literally fell off the bone when touched by my fork. The 3 cream puffs with vanilla ice cream, dark chocolate drizzle (generous drizzle) and heavy side of cream with a decorative strawberry and pineapple slice was exquisite. I will be back with friends for a complete lovely meal, or after dinner for a delicious dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VHung08VIPDined on 6/10/2014They were able to accommodate our large group for a birthday. They brought a small blob of whipped cream with a candle on it for my birthday, which I thought was a bit underwhelming compared to most other restaurants who give a free dessert for a birthday. Otherwise the food was alright. The lamb was a bit gamey, but the duck was very good.
- A great place for great French foodedleenyDined on 6/10/2014The food was absolutely splendid. Service was great but not impeccable -- the wait staff went a bit hard on the up-sell, but our glasses were always kept full, and the support staff were lovely -- I love that they kept the bread coming as we were gorging on butter.Special Features:
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014Loved this place. What a real find in this SOMA neighborhood. Have heard their great music on Thursdays - if only they had that every night!!Special Features:
- MehTastythymeDined on 6/6/2014Disappointing goat cheese salad with clearly canned ingredients. Goat cheese didn't have much taste to it at all. Steak was ok, but I verdone and the sauce was overly seasoned. Fries tasted suspiciously frozen. The saving grace was the first baguette and the oh so delicious butter. Unfortunately, the second baguette came out too crispy to eat. I suspect there may have been a change of chefs.
- Good food, but slow in comingJeanDined on 6/4/2014The food was very good, classic French dishes for the most part, although the standout for me was the not-really-French osso bucco. The escargots were very good as well, but arrived at the table in a ceramic dish that was so hot it took quite a while for the escargots to cool off to non-tongue-burning temperature. The food took quite a while to arrive (which the hostess attributed to it being the first day of their new monthly menu). The fact that the restaurant was packed probably increased the wait times also. The service was friendly, but somewhat slow - they seemed to be somewhat understaffed.Special Features:
- AylaVIPDined on 6/4/2014The place is charming and the food is okay, at least to me. While I do not need food to be pipping hot, the food was barely warmer than room temperature, but the duck I had was cooked all the way through. If it is that cooked, I would imagine it would at least be hotter. The wine and the bread here is good.Special Features:
- Somewhat under-whelmedluckyDined on 5/31/2014Slow , unattentive service was the biggest drawback for not returning. Food good, but not "over-the-top". Would only recommend ths spot when stating these objectives.Special Features: