315 Fifth St.
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lecharm.com/
- Phone: 4155466128
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday to Thursday 6pm - 9:30pm: Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Closed on Sunday and Monday and Closed for lunch
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Thierry Clement
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Entertainment, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
- Catering: Call for details
- Entertainment: Live Jazz on Thursday under our covered patio.
- Special Events: Bastille Day on July 14
A word from Le Charm
Prized by culinary cognoscenti for its good French food at bargain prices. Le Charm evokes a traditional bistro feel, with muted ocher walls and a copper-topped bar. The tented out door patio let you enjoy the patio space at any season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Charm reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (30)romantic (29)special occasion (25)good for groups (14)great for outdoor dining (12)notable wine list (11)late-night find (6)great for lunch (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- France is HereDpererDined on 9/27/2014Very good French cooking. Familiar dishes if one has visited France. Friendly staff. Opens just at opening time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely A Charmfoodie777Dined on 9/27/2014Cute little restaurant with good food. Accommodated our small group even though we were running late. Recommend getting there early because they get very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great eveningtravelmentor1VIPDined on 9/26/2014loved it and our chat with the owner A real secret find and now I know its the sib;ing of L'ArdoiseSpecial Features:
- Nice BistroRosieVIPDined on 9/26/2014Very enjoyable evening. Waiter actually from France. Authentic French dishes, well-prepared. Surprised to find the restaurant in that neighborhood.Special Features:
- Le Charm es magnifique (sp?)PianoManVIPDined on 9/26/2014We've been to Le Charm several times. Always great. Sit outside (its not really outside - just a tent). Charming. Wine pour was huge. I did the prix fixe at $35 - a steal - Crab salad was wonderful and large. Risotto with mushroom was perfectly cooked. Biroche for dessert was incredible. My wife had the Cassoulet - huge dish with everything in it perfectly cooked. The wait staff is attentive and french. We had a quiet table for two near the back. Couldn't ask for anything more.Special Features:
- Jazz and food---a great ideaRrbernalDined on 9/25/2014Another pleasurable evening at one of my favorite French restaurants in the City. Perfect combo of excellent cuisine and Gypsy JazzSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint french restaurantPilotgalDined on 9/20/2014Very unassuming from the front and not in a place where there seems to be lots of business. You walk in and are met by some VERY nice people. The majority of the restaurant seems to be in a covered patio area. There are white lights everywhere and a clear plastic wall so that you can see green plants. Was very inviting and comfortable. The waiter was super nice and very easy going and helped with the wine. I had a Prix Fixe menu which I thought was an excellent value and very tasty. The Tomato, goat cheese Tart was fantastic and the steak was cooked perfectly. I'm not a pommes frites fan, but they weren't bad. Would have rather had another side choice. Dessert was a flour less chocolate cake which was also very nice.Special Features:
- Favorite French Restaurant in SF!PorkchopDined on 9/10/2014We love the food and the people here. We have been coming here for over a decade. This last time, we had the pike dumpling for the first time. The owner said this was only available in New York and Lyon. Loved the tart tartin. Will order a whole pie for my wife's birthday. Can't wait to return. We are regulars at Gary Danko and the menu and service here rivals Gary Danko!Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerbabsDined on 9/10/2014My husband insisted on a French restaurant for our anniversary :-), but we didn't have a huge budget. This place was great, the service was fantastic, the waiter was cheerful and speaking French, the food was delicious and kind of traditional French and we felt a bit like we were in Paris, except that the food came faster and everyone seemed happy.Special Features:
- Friendly French RestuarantgourmetbobDined on 8/23/2014Le Charm has a wonderful kitchen with the food done perfectly at moderate price. Service is professional, but friendly. We like it for a semi-special occasion dinner. Lively crowd of people enjoying great food and wine, Check out the three course choice for a great French meal at a bargain price,Special Features:
- Almost "Very Good"Chien47VIPDined on 8/22/2014Le Charm is a mixed experience. Traditionally French in the best way. Short menu that they execute well, overall. One can eat lightly or heartily. One big plus is that everything on the 3 course dinner menu is available a la carte. In two experiences the table service has been friendly but slow and inattentive. They do make everything on the premises, but they also run out. The tables are close together, so you will be in your neighbors conversations whether you want to be or not. I want to like it more than I do, but the flaws are more than slight annoyances.Special Features:
- Lily Chan, Realtor & RotarianChinalilyDined on 8/20/2014Always had a great time at this restaurant...Lena, Restaurant Owner & her wait staff, very attentive and cared about the service they provide. Highly recommend to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TermiteDined on 8/16/2014Food undercooked. Manager rude and condescending. Would NOT recommend this restaurant!
- VHung08VIPDined on 7/30/2014The braised pork was amazing, the mussels are really great in the white wine reduction, and i just can't resist the fries that come with garlic aioli. Only issue I had was with the wine. They don't have too large a selection for wines by the glass and the rhone I tried was a bit too oxygenated for my taste, started to taste a bit vinegar-like...
- Good food, French serviceCal94530Dined on 7/3/2014This used to be one of our favourite restaurants. We have been visiting for years but no more. At our last meal a month ago we were amused by the distinctly Gallic character of the manager/server. She reminded us of those times we went to France and were treated with barely disguised disdain like unwelcome American tourists. This time we took two friends who were shocked by the offhand and dismissive attitude of this same server. It felt like she really really didn't want to be there or be pleasant but that's no reason to take it out on your customers. Once we gave the benefit of the doubt, twice is definitely not Le Charm!Special Features:
- Different experience 2nd timeIrinaskyVIPDined on 6/25/2014Went 2 years ago and was charmed by romantic atmosphere, great service and delicious food. Chose it again as a date night outing and was a bit disappointed by drafty room, shaky table, and stressed out waitress. The food was still delicious, and the wine as well. Should have gone for seafood risotto vs heavy cousuletteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French food with charm!KarenDined on 6/14/2014Very pleasant server and hostess/manager. Great food. Went for DAT 6/14/14 and they really didn't cheat on the portions/size of each course! Thank you for a great date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charmed by Le CharmmisquareVIPDined on 6/14/2014Great food and excellent service. We had 13 people in our party and everyone had a great time. Our waiter was friendly and gave us exceptional service.Special Features:
- FoodJENHVIPDined on 6/12/2014Food and portion was excellent. The risotto was cooked perfectly. Was planning to try the dine about town menu, but the prixe fixe menu had a better selection. Dessert was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/12/2014A lot of food offered for Dine About Town menu. Very accommodating and knowledgeable servers. Ended up taking some food home.Special Features:
- Local Restaurant HostessLocalPurpleLadyDined on 6/12/2014Dined alone and was very comfortable with attention and customer service. The customer service was only exceeded by the fine food and refreshing, crisp white Bordeaux. The food and wine was only exceeded by the excellent customer service. Can't pick one over the other. Had the escargot, osso bucco (so tender it literally fell off the bone when touched by my fork. The 3 cream puffs with vanilla ice cream, dark chocolate drizzle (generous drizzle) and heavy side of cream with a decorative strawberry and pineapple slice was exquisite. I will be back with friends for a complete lovely meal, or after dinner for a delicious dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VHung08VIPDined on 6/10/2014They were able to accommodate our large group for a birthday. They brought a small blob of whipped cream with a candle on it for my birthday, which I thought was a bit underwhelming compared to most other restaurants who give a free dessert for a birthday. Otherwise the food was alright. The lamb was a bit gamey, but the duck was very good.
- A great place for great French foodedleenyDined on 6/10/2014The food was absolutely splendid. Service was great but not impeccable -- the wait staff went a bit hard on the up-sell, but our glasses were always kept full, and the support staff were lovely -- I love that they kept the bread coming as we were gorging on butter.Special Features:
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014Loved this place. What a real find in this SOMA neighborhood. Have heard their great music on Thursdays - if only they had that every night!!Special Features:
- MehTastythymeDined on 6/6/2014Disappointing goat cheese salad with clearly canned ingredients. Goat cheese didn't have much taste to it at all. Steak was ok, but I verdone and the sauce was overly seasoned. Fries tasted suspiciously frozen. The saving grace was the first baguette and the oh so delicious butter. Unfortunately, the second baguette came out too crispy to eat. I suspect there may have been a change of chefs.
- Good food, but slow in comingJeanDined on 6/4/2014The food was very good, classic French dishes for the most part, although the standout for me was the not-really-French osso bucco. The escargots were very good as well, but arrived at the table in a ceramic dish that was so hot it took quite a while for the escargots to cool off to non-tongue-burning temperature. The food took quite a while to arrive (which the hostess attributed to it being the first day of their new monthly menu). The fact that the restaurant was packed probably increased the wait times also. The service was friendly, but somewhat slow - they seemed to be somewhat understaffed.Special Features:
- AylaVIPDined on 6/4/2014The place is charming and the food is okay, at least to me. While I do not need food to be pipping hot, the food was barely warmer than room temperature, but the duck I had was cooked all the way through. If it is that cooked, I would imagine it would at least be hotter. The wine and the bread here is good.Special Features:
- The following 1123 reviews are from the Le Charm reviews archive.
- Somewhat under-whelmedluckyDined on 5/31/2014Slow , unattentive service was the biggest drawback for not returning. Food good, but not "over-the-top". Would only recommend ths spot when stating these objectives.Special Features:
- WonderfulTruecomfortDined on 5/29/2014Pre Fixe menu is great! Music was a nice plus, too! Highly recommend the duck liver salad!Special Features:
- Chance4meVIPDined on 5/28/2014It was a quiet Thursday night at Le Charm so the waiter was attentive and the food was served in a timely manner. We gladly waited the extra time it takes to serve the onion soup as it is always delicious. My friend ate every morsel of her chicken dish. My osso buco was a large serving and I was too full to finish it, and the taste was just average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZephyrsHumanVIPDined on 5/22/2014Always a favorite, Lena and the team offer great food, good prices and a nice wine list. The live jazz on the patio Thursday nights is always special. If you are unsure of which wine to choose they are very knowledgeable about their wine list and will always provide a good choice.Special Features:
- So many choices, so little timeMiscueDined on 5/21/2014As some in my group said, how often do you find a menu with so many delicious sounding choices? With 4 in our party we all had something different, and they were all a delight. One wait person for the entire dining room ( another worked a group event in back) meant we had to physically signal at least 3 times.....good noise level due to courteous diners ( there are no noise barriers).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charming small bistro !gourmetVIPDined on 5/10/2014We had many lovely french meals. The chef knows what he is doing. One of the few French bistros left in this city. Delicious onion soup, escargots, Boeuf Bourgignone, the seafood risotto was delicious. They make the best isle flottante for desert. The tarte tatin was excellent as well. If you feel like "Steak pommes frites", they serve a delicious bavette steak as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most underrated restaurant in SFLaurenVIPDined on 5/3/2014Really wonderful spot. Bistro style makes it accessible for any night. Great wine list and food is very good. Brussels sprout salad, seafood risotto, trio of desserts, and pork chop were all wonderful.Special Features:
- M1SfloverVIPDined on 5/3/2014We stop often by lovely Le Charm, always superb and a true representation of French bistro cooking. Bon Appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/29/2014Very nice vibe, great comfort food and outstanding service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated2SadnessDined on 4/26/2014Not a lot of food choices. Every entree we ordered were too salty. Prices were too expensive for a regular kind of foods they serve. Will not comebackSpecial Features:
- Super setting!DineroutVIPDined on 4/24/2014The setting was lovely in the back covered patio area, and the live trio was a treat! The food was good but a bit heavy handed on the sauces- i would love to see it lighten up a bit on the sauces. The service was fantastic and they did not treat our children like an inconvenience.Special Features:
- perfect dinnertastebudsDined on 4/22/2014Took new BF and BFF who was visiting from LA. Discerning taste buds enjoyed each bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placePPiazzsDined on 4/15/2014I love this place. Great date night with my wife. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.