315 Fifth St.
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lecharm.com/
- Phone: 4155466128
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday to Thursday 6pm - 9:30pm: Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Closed on Sunday and Monday and Closed for lunch
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Thierry Clement
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Entertainment, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
- Catering: Call for details
- Entertainment: Live Jazz on Thursday under our covered patio.
- Special Events: Bastille Day on July 14
A word from Le Charm
Prized by culinary cognoscenti for its good French food at bargain prices. Le Charm evokes a traditional bistro feel, with muted ocher walls and a copper-topped bar. The tented out door patio let you enjoy the patio space at any season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Charm reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)romantic (30)fit for foodies (27)special occasion (23)good for groups (16)notable wine list (15)great for outdoor dining (11)late-night find (7)hot spot (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Friendly French RestuarantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014Le Charm has a wonderful kitchen with the food done perfectly at moderate price. Service is professional, but friendly. We like it for a semi-special occasion dinner. Lively crowd of people enjoying great food and wine, Check out the three course choice for a great French meal at a bargain price,Special Features:
- Almost "Very Good"Chien47VIPDined on 8/22/2014Le Charm is a mixed experience. Traditionally French in the best way. Short menu that they execute well, overall. One can eat lightly or heartily. One big plus is that everything on the 3 course dinner menu is available a la carte. In two experiences the table service has been friendly but slow and inattentive. They do make everything on the premises, but they also run out. The tables are close together, so you will be in your neighbors conversations whether you want to be or not. I want to like it more than I do, but the flaws are more than slight annoyances.Special Features:
- Lily Chan, Realtor & RotarianChinalilyDined on 8/20/2014Always had a great time at this restaurant...Lena, Restaurant Owner & her wait staff, very attentive and cared about the service they provide. Highly recommend to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TermiteDined on 8/16/2014Food undercooked. Manager rude and condescending. Would NOT recommend this restaurant!
- VHung08VIPDined on 7/30/2014The braised pork was amazing, the mussels are really great in the white wine reduction, and i just can't resist the fries that come with garlic aioli. Only issue I had was with the wine. They don't have too large a selection for wines by the glass and the rhone I tried was a bit too oxygenated for my taste, started to taste a bit vinegar-like...
- Good food, French serviceCal94530Dined on 7/3/2014This used to be one of our favourite restaurants. We have been visiting for years but no more. At our last meal a month ago we were amused by the distinctly Gallic character of the manager/server. She reminded us of those times we went to France and were treated with barely disguised disdain like unwelcome American tourists. This time we took two friends who were shocked by the offhand and dismissive attitude of this same server. It felt like she really really didn't want to be there or be pleasant but that's no reason to take it out on your customers. Once we gave the benefit of the doubt, twice is definitely not Le Charm!Special Features:
- Different experience 2nd timeIrinaskyVIPDined on 6/25/2014Went 2 years ago and was charmed by romantic atmosphere, great service and delicious food. Chose it again as a date night outing and was a bit disappointed by drafty room, shaky table, and stressed out waitress. The food was still delicious, and the wine as well. Should have gone for seafood risotto vs heavy cousuletteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French food with charm!KarenDined on 6/14/2014Very pleasant server and hostess/manager. Great food. Went for DAT 6/14/14 and they really didn't cheat on the portions/size of each course! Thank you for a great date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charmed by Le CharmmisquareVIPDined on 6/14/2014Great food and excellent service. We had 13 people in our party and everyone had a great time. Our waiter was friendly and gave us exceptional service.Special Features:
- FoodJENHVIPDined on 6/12/2014Food and portion was excellent. The risotto was cooked perfectly. Was planning to try the dine about town menu, but the prixe fixe menu had a better selection. Dessert was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/12/2014A lot of food offered for Dine About Town menu. Very accommodating and knowledgeable servers. Ended up taking some food home.Special Features:
- Local Restaurant HostessLocalPurpleLadyDined on 6/12/2014Dined alone and was very comfortable with attention and customer service. The customer service was only exceeded by the fine food and refreshing, crisp white Bordeaux. The food and wine was only exceeded by the excellent customer service. Can't pick one over the other. Had the escargot, osso bucco (so tender it literally fell off the bone when touched by my fork. The 3 cream puffs with vanilla ice cream, dark chocolate drizzle (generous drizzle) and heavy side of cream with a decorative strawberry and pineapple slice was exquisite. I will be back with friends for a complete lovely meal, or after dinner for a delicious dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VHung08VIPDined on 6/10/2014They were able to accommodate our large group for a birthday. They brought a small blob of whipped cream with a candle on it for my birthday, which I thought was a bit underwhelming compared to most other restaurants who give a free dessert for a birthday. Otherwise the food was alright. The lamb was a bit gamey, but the duck was very good.
- A great place for great French foodedleenyDined on 6/10/2014The food was absolutely splendid. Service was great but not impeccable -- the wait staff went a bit hard on the up-sell, but our glasses were always kept full, and the support staff were lovely -- I love that they kept the bread coming as we were gorging on butter.Special Features:
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014Loved this place. What a real find in this SOMA neighborhood. Have heard their great music on Thursdays - if only they had that every night!!Special Features:
- MehTastythymeDined on 6/6/2014Disappointing goat cheese salad with clearly canned ingredients. Goat cheese didn't have much taste to it at all. Steak was ok, but I verdone and the sauce was overly seasoned. Fries tasted suspiciously frozen. The saving grace was the first baguette and the oh so delicious butter. Unfortunately, the second baguette came out too crispy to eat. I suspect there may have been a change of chefs.
- Good food, but slow in comingJeanDined on 6/4/2014The food was very good, classic French dishes for the most part, although the standout for me was the not-really-French osso bucco. The escargots were very good as well, but arrived at the table in a ceramic dish that was so hot it took quite a while for the escargots to cool off to non-tongue-burning temperature. The food took quite a while to arrive (which the hostess attributed to it being the first day of their new monthly menu). The fact that the restaurant was packed probably increased the wait times also. The service was friendly, but somewhat slow - they seemed to be somewhat understaffed.Special Features:
- AylaVIPDined on 6/4/2014The place is charming and the food is okay, at least to me. While I do not need food to be pipping hot, the food was barely warmer than room temperature, but the duck I had was cooked all the way through. If it is that cooked, I would imagine it would at least be hotter. The wine and the bread here is good.Special Features:
- Somewhat under-whelmedluckyDined on 5/31/2014Slow , unattentive service was the biggest drawback for not returning. Food good, but not "over-the-top". Would only recommend ths spot when stating these objectives.Special Features:
- WonderfulTruecomfortDined on 5/29/2014Pre Fixe menu is great! Music was a nice plus, too! Highly recommend the duck liver salad!Special Features:
- Chance4meVIPDined on 5/28/2014It was a quiet Thursday night at Le Charm so the waiter was attentive and the food was served in a timely manner. We gladly waited the extra time it takes to serve the onion soup as it is always delicious. My friend ate every morsel of her chicken dish. My osso buco was a large serving and I was too full to finish it, and the taste was just average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZephyrsHumanVIPDined on 5/22/2014Always a favorite, Lena and the team offer great food, good prices and a nice wine list. The live jazz on the patio Thursday nights is always special. If you are unsure of which wine to choose they are very knowledgeable about their wine list and will always provide a good choice.Special Features:
- So many choices, so little timeMiscueDined on 5/21/2014As some in my group said, how often do you find a menu with so many delicious sounding choices? With 4 in our party we all had something different, and they were all a delight. One wait person for the entire dining room ( another worked a group event in back) meant we had to physically signal at least 3 times.....good noise level due to courteous diners ( there are no noise barriers).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charming small bistro !gourmetVIPDined on 5/10/2014We had many lovely french meals. The chef knows what he is doing. One of the few French bistros left in this city. Delicious onion soup, escargots, Boeuf Bourgignone, the seafood risotto was delicious. They make the best isle flottante for desert. The tarte tatin was excellent as well. If you feel like "Steak pommes frites", they serve a delicious bavette steak as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most underrated restaurant in SFLaurenVIPDined on 5/3/2014Really wonderful spot. Bistro style makes it accessible for any night. Great wine list and food is very good. Brussels sprout salad, seafood risotto, trio of desserts, and pork chop were all wonderful.Special Features:
- M1SfloverVIPDined on 5/3/2014We stop often by lovely Le Charm, always superb and a true representation of French bistro cooking. Bon Appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1115 reviews are from the Le Charm reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/29/2014Very nice vibe, great comfort food and outstanding service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated2SadnessDined on 4/26/2014Not a lot of food choices. Every entree we ordered were too salty. Prices were too expensive for a regular kind of foods they serve. Will not comebackSpecial Features:
- Super setting!DineroutVIPDined on 4/24/2014The setting was lovely in the back covered patio area, and the live trio was a treat! The food was good but a bit heavy handed on the sauces- i would love to see it lighten up a bit on the sauces. The service was fantastic and they did not treat our children like an inconvenience.Special Features:
- perfect dinnertastebudsDined on 4/22/2014Took new BF and BFF who was visiting from LA. Discerning taste buds enjoyed each bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placePPiazzsDined on 4/15/2014I love this place. Great date night with my wife. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The dinner was outstanding.SusanLVIPDined on 4/12/2014The dinner was outstanding. We hadn't been to Le Charm for several years, and it was at a higher level than we remembered. We took friends who are very fussy, and they loved the choice. Our only complaint was that the restaurant became very noisy. We were there at 5:30 which was quite acceptable, but by the time we left, the noise level was pretty high.Special Features:
- Never Disappointed at Le CharmRamblerVIPDined on 4/5/2014I'm very fond of Le Charm, which is elegant but not fussy in all of its "Frenchness." The wait staff is charming, the food is excellent, and I believe one gets a very good value for the price. We enjoyed the swordfish special and the lamb chops and both were excellent.Special Features:
- Fun, Unique ExperienceCharmedDined on 4/4/2014We wanted to try something different for a celebratory group outing, and wanted to give Le Charm a try. Many of us live or work in the area, and had no idea it was there, despite going by it all the time! The service was super slow at times, but great at others (we ended up being almost an hour late to Part 2 of our outing due to the slowness). It took almost 20 minutes for us to get the bday boy a glass of wine as they didn't notice others had joined the group, and it took a long time to place our dessert order. Food was delicious though, and the setting is pretty nice/romantic. Restroom situation is a little janky (why is there a chair in front of the toilet, facing the toilet?). Had a great time, but not sure if we'll return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderful.RdtheWrldTrvlerVIPDined on 4/3/2014I had not been here in awhile. It proved to be as good as I remembered. Excellent French food. My favorite dessert is their floating island. Give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/2/2014A great French Restuarant with food and service comparing with Restuarants charging twice the amount` - suitable both for a casual dinner or a special occaision. Excellent service by an efficient and friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite placesZephyrsHumanVIPDined on 3/27/2014One of our favorite places to dine out in San Francisco, we try to make it here once a month! Lena and her team offer a warm and inviting ambience with superb service and fresh local fare. The menu has a nice selection and there is always a prix fixe menu that has nice choices and is very affordable. Actually everything is affordable, so you can't go wrong here. The special of the night was a very nice pork chop that was done perfectly. Our server recommended a very nice Romaine de la Vougeraie which went nicely with our meal. We passed on desert and went with a nice port to wrap up the evening. Live music on Thursdays always makes for a pleasant dining experience. I recommend making a reservation as it is fairly popular in the hood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the jazz music on ThursdaysallonsyDined on 3/27/2014Really enjoyed the meal and music. We stayed for 3 hours until music ended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le charm est la creme de la cremesamsaraDined on 3/26/2014We came here on Wednesday night to celebrate my birthday and my parents' 40th anniversary. We ordered French onion soup, the crab salad, pork chop, cassoulet and trout. The French onion soup was well-flavoured and the use of a high-quality Gruyere cheese makes all the difference. The pork chop, which my father had, was perfectly cooked and moist. My mother had the cassoulet which is a mix of white beans, sausages and duck confit. All the flavours were distinct and the meats were seasoned to perfection. Finally, I had the trout which was light and delicate but with a nice buttery finish. I also had the brioche pudding dessert with vanilla ice cream which was decadent and marvelous. The staff were also very attentive. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great Food and AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2014The food was great, the staff was well organized and really friendly, and the owner personally talked to each table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.