1920 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lecastagne.com/
- Phone: 2157519913
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael Delone
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Le Castagne offers both private and semi-private party facilities. Semi-private (20-40 people); private party facilities being the whole restaurant (50-90 people).
- Private Party Contact: Carlo Sena 2157519913
A word from Le Castagne
In the tradition of Philadelphia's renowned Sena family (owners of La Famiglia & Panorama), Le Castagne serves sophisticated & modern Northern Italian cuisine in the Rittenhouse Row neighborhood. Executive Chef Michael Delone artfully prepares lunch & dinner menus highlighting the freshest ingredients & blending surprising flavors. All pastas, bread, & desserts are homemade. A Chef's tasting menu is available. The dining room is clean & spare, with white marble floors, sleek leather chairs, rich wood walls & airy high ceilings. Le Castagne specializes in personalized attention to accommodate the most discerning of clientele. Wireless access throughout the space, attentive yet unobtrusive service & superb cuisine have earned Le Castange accolades from American Way as the best restaurant for business lunch in Philadelphia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Le Castagne - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Le Castagne reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (21)fit for foodies (17)romantic (15)great for lunch (12)neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (10)notable wine list (10)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014It was our 5th wedding anniversary, for my wife and I, also our first time to Philly. We were looking for a place to eat and my wife wanted fresh pasta, so googled Italian Restaurants near me and got three choices. All were walking distance from our hotel and looking at menus this seemed to fit for what she was looking for. Long story, short the food was outstanding, you will not be disappointed, its not your traditional Italian cuisine. More contemporary. Everything was fresh. The owner came to our table thru out the night, you felt very welcomed. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and decorPhillyDined on 9/12/2014Went for restaurant week and was very impressed. Food was excellent and service was good. I highly recommend the garlic sausage!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchKmil321VIPDined on 9/12/2014The crowd was very professional for lunch. It was also very busy for lunch, I wish I would've known how dressy the general attire would have been. I was probably the only person in jeans. The food was amazing, The ravioli to die for! We weren't given drink menus until after we ordered food, service was a little slow. Overall, good food, interesting ambiance.Special Features:
- It's good againKarenrVIPDined on 9/11/2014We tried Le Castagne a month ago, and then again last week for restauant week. Both times it was excellent. For restaurant week menu, I tried the beef carpacio, and the flat iron steak, which was very tender. The menu was very varied offering many options and entree choices. We had stopped going to this restaurant for a couple of years as it had lost its way. Now that Anthony is back, the place is up to it's previous standard of quality food and preparation. It is back on our normal rotation list.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food, Service, AmbianceDonnVIPDined on 9/9/2014Delighted to discover this Italian restaurant during Restaurant Week. The food was unparalleled and the service was excellent. Will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Great for Restaurant Weeknms73Dined on 9/8/2014A few friends and I went here for Restaurant Week. Our server and bus boy were friendly, fun, knowledgeable, and attentive. While every dish was great, I am positive I will never be satisfied eating gnocchi anywhere but here ever again. It is the best gnocchi I have ever had and will be extremely hard to beat. Extensive wine list that appeases those on a budget and willing to pay a little extra.Special Features:
- Good food; unprofessional serviceckc680VIPDined on 9/6/2014With the exception of stale rolls for our Saturday night dinner, the food was good. The kitchen accommodated a vegan and a post-wisdom teeth surgery diner with thoughtful off-menu preparations. The space is also beautiful. Unfortunately, the amateur service left us wondering whether the grown-ups were trapped in the kitchen. When we asked for "2 minutes" to review the wine list, it took more than 10 for our server to return. 2 other servers brought tapinades, but no bread. When our first courses arrived, we still hadn't received our bread or our wine. When we asked for a check another waiter brought us dessert menus. One female server was dressed as if an extra for Rocky Horror, rather than a formal Italian restaurant. Where is the manager?Special Features:
- Philly GemBONVIVANTVIPDined on 8/9/2014I was celebrating a milestone Birthday and my husband offered to take me anywhere I wanted to go for dinner. There was only one place for me - Le Castagne! We were greeted by the wonderful hostess, Lisa and little did I know my husband called ahead and asked that she order a dozen of roses that were waiting for me at our table. The wait staff is always friendly and could not be more accommodating. And of course, an epicurean delight prepared by the Executive Chef, Michael. We have been coming here for years and highly recommend it to all our family and friends...and for us, it is worth the hour drive. Every time we have dinner at Le Castagne, whether a special occasion or just a night out for dinner, we are NEVER disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs to closeniceVIPDined on 8/2/2014We have been here other times as we live in the city. Saturday night at 7:30 4 other tables. Different menus than online. Service... Two waiters, one good the other had a I don't care attitude. Never gave us the specials, we had to ask. He leaned in the chair and tried to remember them. Didn't ask if we wanted a drink we had to tell him. Food came out in 5 min after ordering. Tasted good but my pasta sauce was Luke warm. Too many good restaurants in the city to deal with this. Almost looked like it is on it's last legs after many years. Sorry.
- Delicious and unique offerings!OaksDinersDined on 7/9/2014From the lamb starter to the excellent Dover sole (a rare find), to the dessert doughnuts stuffed with ricotta, each course was a treat. Prosecco by the glass was a lovely compliment to the meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent!NapoletanoDined on 7/8/2014Le Castagne never disappoints. The atmosphere, food and service are outstanding.Special Features:
- CommentPanotchDined on 6/25/2014Wine list could use a few more from Piedmont variety at a more reasonable cost. Gnocchi among the very best in the City - authentic. Perfect place to take your wife/GF or group of friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickDined on 6/19/2014Great Dover Sole, pastas, and gnocchi. Accommodates Gluten Free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findJdroadieDined on 6/14/2014When a neighborhood Italian restaurant couldn't get us reservations we branched out and tried Le Castangne... The veal ravioli got my attention on the website and did not fail to deliver, the waiter said they would disappear fast and they did. We. Also had the duck.... Which wAs mouthwatering as was my wife's Chicken Gorgonzola. Dessert and after dinner cocktails rounded out the night. Service was excellent, as too the wine choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeLDined on 6/5/2014Every part of our meal from start to finish was excellent. Our server was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 661 reviews are from the Le Castagne reviews archive.
- Great food and a reasonable priceWineAndDineMeVIPDined on 4/29/2014We were seated early so the place was very quiet and we had the sole attention of the waiter. The food was quite nice, the wine pour was generous though there was a mistake on the bill; the addition of a glass of wine we didn't order. It was removed promtly when brought to the attention of the waiter. I will definitely go back. Perhaps at a busier time so I can see if the service stands up.Special Features:
- Hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/24/2014Excellent northern italian fare. Needed more waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a refresh or remodelJamesVIPDined on 3/21/2014Food was good, not great, and not worth a drive or cab trip. Booths had visible rips in them, generally a "decent" restaurant, but certainly not worth a special trip, or for a special evening out.
- night out on the towntownpainterDined on 3/15/2014Awesome service, great food, did not feel rushed at all. Service staff knew their stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect birthday mealYoungprofdinerVIPDined on 3/12/2014Exceeded all expectations! Delicious food (best gnocchi I've ever had), incredible braised lamb, also tried bites of the sole special and it was amazing. Dessert was mind-blowingly good,--homemade donuts-- although it was very large portion, I wish I had split it. The service was excellent. My only complaint was that my mojito was somewhat tasteless...but everything else was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad nightunhappyVIPDined on 3/8/2014I was the one who suggested this restaurant for my husband and me and two other couples. We were on time for our 7:30 reservation. We were served our first course at 8:15 and our dinner at 9:30. The restaurant was full, but they are not new and they knew how many people were expected. The least they could have done was to offer a dessert, not that anyone would have stayed to eat it. It was a very unpleasant experience for all of us.
- After many wonderful mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/20/2014After many wonderful meals at Le Castagne this was my first dissappointment. The menu has changed and it had far less appeal. Choices were limited on the menu but the daily specials did round it out a bit. Rolls were stale, Wine by the glass was overpriced. Salads were ok but not standouts. The fish entre was beautifully presented but the flavor combinations were a bit off. Fish itself, however, was good. The gelato was terrible and the cappucino was tepid. The place has a wonderful atmosphere but it seems to be faltering on the food front.
- Good for Business Lunchfoodie56Dined on 2/17/2014I met a business associate here for lunch and we had a very pleasant experience. We were greeted at the door and the hostess took my coat and seated us promptly. The waitress was pleasant and knowledgable of the menu and provided prompt service without rushing us. My lunch partner had Veal Ravioli while I had the Frutti Di Mare. Both were excellent and the noise level was minimal so we could have a good conversation. I would recommend this Le Castagne to anyone for a business lunch. It appears to be a good spot for dinner as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed FeelingsCBA123Dined on 2/11/2014The service was disappointing. The place was not very full yet the attention was lacking and the server didnt know which side to put the bread. We had long breaks between courses without anyone checking in. We had called ahead explaining we were entertaining a client (CEO of a major local organization) and they still didnt treat us to standard. Despite the disappointing service, we all agreed the food was delicious. the presentation was great. portions are somewhat small, so no doggy bags to take home!
- Best Lunch in a Long TimeslrcpaDined on 2/10/2014Everything from the rolls and pesto to the dessert was fantastic. A wonderful culinary experience!Special Features:
- Coulda Been BetterToniVIPDined on 1/31/2014Food was okay and I could've dealt with it but service was poor. Our waiter didn't speak a word to us after he got our order and he didn't even check for satisfaction or asked if we needed anything else; we had to ask the other waiter for stuff we needed.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week LunchShel426Dined on 1/31/2014The food was great, very nice place. They were not staffed up enough to handle the restaurant week lunch crowd. We were there for 1.5hrs and had to leave before dessert. They did box it for us which was nice. The staff was friendly. Would recommend.Special Features:
- A 2 hour lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/31/2014I came here with family during restaurant week for a lunch on a Friday. Restaurant was beautiful, service was horrible and slow. After we ordered our selections, each course came out at a snails pace, our server forgot to replace silverware, and forgot to refil drinks. I would have to say the food was mediocre. After the check was dropped at the table it took 20 minutes for someone to come and collect it, and to process it. Sadly enough I would not return although I was hoping that this would become a new spot for us. When all said and done, a lunch that should have been an hour at the most, was 2 hours for a party of three. Sorry Le Castagne, so many other restaurants are on point with service we just can't recommend you!
- Thank God for the HostessOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/30/2014The food was good but the service was so-so. Went for lunch during Restaurant Week and the dining room was filled but it seemed as if there were only two servers. The hostess was excellent as she seemed to be running around and helping a lot. She was actually the one who first approached my table (after 10 minutes of no one) and took our drink orders. After receiving our drinks, our actual server stumbled through the specials for us and was MIA after that. She didn't even come back to ask us how everything was. As we were there the room started to empty out except for about two other tables, but it still took quite a long time to get our food. It wasn't a terrible experience but it could have been better.
- Very good food, server wasTrovSeniorDined on 1/29/2014Very good food, server was inexperienced and executed his job with small mistakes. Additional Mistakes by other servers through miscommunication among themselves. The room is well done with an air of Sophistication but lacks supervision. Overall an enjoyable experience. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Non-existent Menu ItembubberDined on 1/29/2014I made a reservation for lunch during Restaurant Week, enticed by the website listing of spaghetti nocciole that I have enjoyed in Italy. When i opened the menu, I was surprised to see that it was not listed. The server said she had never heard of it; when I showed her it on the online menu, she shrugged it off and said it was a mistake, that the restaurant had never made anything like that. How then did it magically appear on the website menu? Was it hacked? A responsible restaurant would scrutinize the menu it releases and thus be familiar with the expectations it creates. I left without ordering, having made a reservation precisely for the spaghetti nocciole. The rest of the menu was standard, unimaginative Northern Italian fare.
- Good food, bad serviceDisappointedDinerVIPDined on 1/27/2014Even though the restaurant week lunch menu posted online was entirely different than the menu presented to us at the restaurant, the several options that I sampled with my dining companion were quite good. That said, while the hostess greeted us and sat us promptly and courteously, the table service left something to be desired. Maybe it's because I am younger looking than Le Castagne's average clientele, but the fact that our server managed to take the order of a table that sat down after us and bring them their appetizers before even bringing us our drinks left a bad taste in my mouth and made me wonder whether the tasty food was even worth the hour and a half it took to order, eat, and pay on what was otherwise a very light lunch day.
- Precious MemoryJBSYSDined on 1/24/2014Had a great meal with outstanding ambiance and service. Le Castagne reminded me of dinner in Roma - Top-Shelf!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!VeronicaDined on 1/24/2014The meal was very impressive. Great taste and great look. The only issue was the bill at the end. The server was new and accidentally charged our credit card too much, but it was taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I do not know how expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2014I do not know how expensive the food is on a normal day, but the restaurant week deal is great! Great food in general!Special Features:
- Unexpected- Unimpressed.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/23/2014My friends and I do restaurant week to find the best places in Philly so we know where to go when girls night comes around. Half of us were pleased and the other half, not so much. No one was raving about the food, service or drinks. This is unusual for our group. The best dish was the gnocchi. Our server actually brought out of dessert- after waiting quite a while- before our entrée. The dessert was very disappointing. You could actually see the imprints in the vanilla from the plastic cups that it had been stored in for hours. It did not have much of a taste. I am glad I tried this for restaurant week and did not pay full price.Special Features:
- BrilliantNH88Dined on 1/21/2014Le Castagne was such a pleasant surprise. Reviews were mixed on Yelp, so when I had my first bite I was happy to find out the critiques got it all wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but slow servicechurchDined on 1/18/2014Excellent food but the service was very slow for some reason. We have been here before and came back for the food but disappointed that the service was so slow given a relatively quiet night. We had to ask several times for things like bread, utensils, water. Never heard the specials but I think this is because we had 3 different servers that evening. It seemed like we just fell through the cracks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculous small portionsdaveDined on 1/16/2014Went their for a business lunch. i don't have to eat a big meal for lunch but for $40 a person, this meal was absurd. My entree was 3-4 ozs of chicken breast sauced over a spoonful of grilled lettuce sitting on a large white plate all by itself. A few roasted potatoes could have helped fill the plate as well as another vegetable. The heirloom beet salad prior to the entree had 4 see thru slices of beets laid out on the plate with what tasted like sour cream as a dressing. I did not get that presentation at all. The filled donut holes for dessert were delicious i would never go back or recommend for a business lunch.
- Very underwhelmed by thisCweb103VIPDined on 1/10/2014Very underwhelmed by this restaurant. Food wasn't very memorable. Good wines to choose from, but in a city full of amazing Italian food, this was forgettable.Special Features: