517 NW 14th Ave
Portland, OR 97209Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bouchon-portland.com/
- Phone: (503) 248-2193
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm.
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Le Bouchon
Visit Le Bouchon for an authentic French dining experience. Our restaurant boosts traditional French foods created by our owner and chef with 45 years' experience in classic French cuisine with a country flare. Stop in today to taste what Portland, Oregon's, local media is raving about! You'll find France's most popular dishes on the menu, including lamb shanks delicately prepared by our Chef. Our chef can also prepare a special meal for you with a few days advanced notice. Your French dish will go perfectly with our selection of French wines and beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Le Bouchon - Best Restaurants in Pearl District ›
Le Bouchon reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (25)romantic (16)special occasion (15)notable wine list (9)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Will think twice.JRMJRMDined on 11/21/2014Just okay, pork loin was overcooked...did not send it back because it was spouses birthday and did not want to make a big deal about it. If server was paying attention she would have noticed that I was sawing it with my knife.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not fastPDXDinerVIPDined on 11/8/2014Enjoyed the meal. House wines were good and the lamb shank was delicious. Service was very nice, but very slow. It took almost an hour to get our salads. Plan to spend time enjoying wine and bread and you'll be set.Special Features:
- Not a great night at Le Bouchonwcs3Dined on 11/7/2014We had a good dinner the other night at Le Bouchon, but not as good as usual. When we arrived there was only one waitress in evidence, who eventually came to greet us; it appeared that she was trying to be hostess, waitress and bartender! We placed a drink order -- with difficulty: she had never heard of Ricard and didn't know whether they had it. My soup came out of the kitchen at room temperature, was sent back, and then came out again: hot and delicious. My wife's pork medallion was tasty, but tough. At least on this evening, with the two waitresses there, Le Bouchon was decidedly less French than it has been in our past experience.
- Le Bouchon-great dateroarrrrDined on 11/5/2014You can have a really wonderful date at this restaurant. The servers are friendly and really improve the dining experience with suggestions. They know what they are talking about. Great beer options. Tried the Three Floyd's Milk Stout for the first time in bottle. Delicious. The food is incredible as wellSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Paper napkins, a lamb stew with little lamb, a quiet evening but a non-attentive waitress. It was o.k., but for the price there are better in the neighbourhood..
- Great FindLikesimplebutgoodDined on 10/31/2014This small French Bistro hits on all cylinders. Traditional menu was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- LeeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014excellent food and choices. Recommend for French food enthusiastsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid bistroSigiDined on 10/3/2014This is a solid bistro, I thought it was great. The escargot was good, but the French onion soup was fantastic. I only wish it was less menu items...was a bit too many.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KatmanducKatmanducDined on 9/25/2014This is a go to restaurant for excellent food. The staff is right there to provide suggestions and excellent service. I literally wiped my plate clean of food as every drop was wonderful. The duck breast is my favorite and I always go for the au gratin potatoes and we shared a lovely fluffy lemon cheese cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like ParisccfoodieDined on 9/19/2014My wife and had just returned from Paris a few days before our reservation, and we were having serious withdrawal symptoms from the fantastic Parisian bistro scene. She found Le Bouchon after performing some research online and we were pleased to find equivalent quality, and better pricing, during our meal. I had the quail special and my wife chose the ribeye steak, both of which were fabulous, including the julienne vegetables and scalloped potatoes sides. Our only dislike was the quality of the bread; apologies if it's baked in-house, but it just didn't measure up to what we experienced in Paris.Special Features:
- Great Service. Unimpressive Food.JenEricDined on 9/13/2014It was a special occasion, and we were really excited to try our first French restaurant in Portland. We made a reservation, but forgot to tell the server about it when we were greeted and seated, but less than half of the tables were occupied, so we figured it didn't matter much (even on a Saturday). The server was very friendly and accommodating; she had a genuine air of kindness about her. We didn't like the pork pate terrine we ordered so she took half of the cost off our receipt, and told us that the duck pate we wanted is available but not on any of the menus. The fish special was described as lightly fried snapper, but the batter was thicker than I'd hoped and came out soggy. The julienne veges tasted good but were also very oily.Special Features:
- JuneauDined on 9/4/2014Authentic French Bistro. Brings back memories of our best trips to France.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Bouchon is excellent.LaurieDined on 9/3/2014Everything that we have ever had at Le Bouchon has been excellent.Special Features:
- Quaint French BistroQuaintFrenchBistroDined on 9/2/2014My wife and I had a lovely evening at Le Bouchon. It's a cozy family owned restaurant where they take great pride in the food preparation. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Service Could Be Betterlemons4uVIPDined on 8/30/2014The restaurant is so French, which is why we went in the first place. What is so interesting about this restaurant is that eventually the people sitting next to each other at the limited numbers of tables, begin talking to each other which makes for a very congenial atmosphere. That god for the friendly patrons, because the service was very slow. For that size restaurant they had only two waiters, who were honest enough to tell us they were brand new, but two waiters (who also doubled as the bartender) for a Saturday night is not enough. Our order for a $59 bottle of wine took FOREVER to reach our table. We were seated for a good 20 minutes before we even ordered wine. A real disappointment. But once the food arrived, it was delicious!Special Features:
- luvfood2luvmyfood2Dined on 8/30/2014We arrived and we're sat at less than desirable table by the front door, yet had made the reservation 3 weeks prior ND could not get a different table. After waiting over 20 minutes, no service, we walked out.Special Features:
- Perfect date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014For a special night out, this was a perfect place to go. Our waiter was amazing and super helpful. We ended up ordering 3 appetizers and 4 dishes to share. There wasn't a bad dish. We asked our waiter to pick the best wine in a price point for what we were eating and we were quite happy with his decision. We can't wait to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MBEWDined on 8/1/2014Very nice, very French. My wife and I both had Coquille St Jacques then Poisson du Jour with a bottle of Sancerre. Quite delicious!Special Features:
- Saturday NightPortowickDined on 7/26/2014Perfect night with the wife. Host is very professional and knowledgeable. Food was very, very good.Special Features:
- The following 157 reviews are from the Le Bouchon reviews archive.
- Don'tWorldTraveler1Dined on 7/22/2014I wouldn't go back if it was free! The waitress was an airhead. She used cleaner on the table next to mine while I was eating! The food was salty and the bread was stale.
- Very French!FoodieFanVIPDined on 7/18/2014We've eaten here for years, and love their Bouillabaisse. We came here because, with only ten tables, we thought it would be quiet and intimate, good for talking with our friend who doesn't hear well, but it was quite noisy. We had to lean into each other to hear our conversation. For that reason, try going at lunchtime, which is not as raucous. Our waiter, Kalil(?) was almost hyper, taking liberty with his teasing, but it was in good fun. Our food was very good, even though they ended up being out of my order so I had to switch to a different fish. If it hadn't been so hot, I would have gotten the Bouillabaisse again, and been happier.Special Features:
- New TraditionqueenofpicklesDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I chose to celebrate our first wedding anniversary at Le Bouchon for dinner. It was a really lovely meal. Both chefs came by our table to see how we were enjoying our meal and the server we had was adorable. She was very young, very enthusiastic and personable. I appreciated how she made sure we were happy and comfortable throughout our meal. The food was delicious. My husband and I both agreed the escargot was the best either of us have ever had. We had a really amazing dessert called l'ile flotante (floating island) and haven't stopped raving about it since. We'll be heading back there again for our 2nd anniversary for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceTiggerDined on 7/8/2014It was a quiet evening at the restaurant but it felt cozy and like we were dining at a little local restaurant in France. Our waitress made the meal. I had wanted mussels but they had not got their new delivery. She suggested a very wonderful alternative which made my meal. The apple tarte tartin was sheer perfection. I am a chocolate fanatic but I would order this again even if they had the most perfect chocolate dessert. One small nitpik, they served the little plastic containers of "cream" for the coffee. I got a lovely pitcher of milk with my tea. Next time how about a lovely pitcher of cream with my friend's coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic French experienceaqpdxDined on 7/3/2014You are in for an authentic, excellent French meal of the countryside-bistro/agriturismo sort, complete with a slightly surly French waiter to round out the experience. Don't let that stop you - just soak it up as a realistic example of what I've found most city restaurant service there to be like. Seriously, I kind of enjoyed being treated like an annoyance... sort of form of penance for the excellent food to come.Special Features:
- Wonderful MealjavalersDined on 7/3/2014Once again a fantastic meal from start to finish. Good service, great lamb shank!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vancitydinerVIPDined on 6/28/2014The food was terrible. I know french food is going to be fatty, but everything was covered in grease which left a disgusting film in your mouth. It wasn't that busy, just a couple other tables which was nice because it was quiet, but if you're looking for a quiet french bistro, I would look elsewhere.
- Hoagiereview1Dined on 6/28/2014Excellent food. Great service. Favorite French restaurant in Portland. Feels like a hidden gem in Paris.Special Features:
- Great placeRobrose131Dined on 6/28/2014Great place to celebrate any occasion. Authentic French food. Good service and quiet. Great for adults and couples to enjoy a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.PhilDined on 6/27/2014Outstanding food and service. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding food and serviceEddieDined on 6/27/2014It was our first time my wife and I, we started with the escargot and the onion soup . Then our waiter recommended the tenders of beef and the lamb shank .everything was delicious, the service was very attentive and humorous. We will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good...service needs helpHoangx2Dined on 6/21/2014The apps were good and the duck breast as well, but the pork was over cooked. The sides the came with the main course were almost identical, they could have came up with something better. 1 waiter on a Saturday not enough to provide good service. They need a buser.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceBerlinaVIPDined on 6/13/2014Good food and excellent service made for a special, romantic night.Special Features:
- Ok food. bizarre ambience details.Abs6Dined on 6/13/2014Liked my food. Had moules. Yum. But - pet peeve of mine - they neet to copy edit the menu. Several grammatical and spelling errors. Felt more like a cheap tourist joint menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great authentic French FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/28/2014I have been going to this little gem for years and it never disappoints. Excellent food at a very reasonable price.Special Features:
- French restaurantGreatLunchVIPDined on 5/16/2014This is a very small restaurant with small menu . French cousine. If you visit need to place your order appetizer and main course at once ? My son and me came to portland to visit the UP. I made reservations at 745 pm and came to the restaurant on time. We order an apperitive and look at the menu. We wanted to share a smoke salmon and then decide what would be our main course. The waiter told us that we had to order all at once or if not wait 2 hours for the main course later. So I thanked him and asked for the check . He said don't worry and gave us the drink on the house . Nice but be ready to order when you get there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- marginalOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2014there needs to be another waiter , he was over worked so his hospitality was not as jovial. food took a long time to come from the kitchen
- Simply amazing!FoodCriticPDX122343Dined on 5/15/2014The food is absolutely delicious, no matter what you order, the service was attentive, and it was nice and quiet, a great place to enjoy conversation. One of those gems you want to return to again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarthaVIPDined on 5/10/2014Feels a bit like being in a bistro in France. Enjoyed our meal with friends in this excellent, but non pretentious restaurant.Special Features:
- Great foodOysterboyVIPDined on 5/9/2014Food was terrific, waiter very amicable. Waited an hour for our main course! If you are a patient person this is a great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic FrenchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/9/2014Classic French cooking at its best in an small, atmospheric cafe setting.Special Features: