Le Bistro D’à Côté
1590 1st Ave.
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Le Bistro D’à Côté
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lebistrodacote.com/
- Phone: 2127729200
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Tuesday 4:00PM - 11:00PM
Wednesday - Saturday: 4:00PM -12:00AM
Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10:00AM-4:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Herve Knecht
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We cater to all events. Each catering is customized to meet special needs of our clients. Please contact us at 212.772.9200 for further info.
- Entertainment: Thursdays: Live Jazz with The Broc Hempel Trio 7:30PM-10:30PM Sunday Brunch: Live Jazz with The Broc Hempel Trio 12-3
- Special Events: Three Course Prix Fixe Menu (Sunday thru Thursday) Soup or Salad + Your Choice Of Entree + Dessert For the price of the entree you choose. All You Can Eat Mussels!!! (Wednesday) Includes a glass of wine or a draft beer, french fries or salad. $24.50 Prix Fixe Brunch Menu (Saturday and Sunday) Choice of One Brunch Item, Coffee or Tea and Choice of Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice, Bloody Mary or Mimosa $17.95 (All special menus are cash only please)
A word from Le Bistro D’à Côté
Le Bistro D’à Côté, is a neighborhood French Bistro located on Manhattan's Upper East Side/Yorkville. Recently opened and fast becoming a favorite hang out for the locals. The atmosphere is cozy, warm and casual. Whether you are coming in for a drink and a bite to eat, a romantic dinner or a large group, there is something for everyone here. There is a room for parties, as well as a separate bar from the dining area. Chef Herve Knecht has created a menu with classic bistro fare like Escargots, Charcuterie, Mussels, Coq au Vin and Foie Gras to mention a few. Prices are moderate and special menus offer a deal on certain nights. THE BROC HEMPEL TRIO's Live Jazz adds to the ambiance of LBDC on Thursdays from 7:30 PM to 10:30 PM on Sundays Brunch from 12 noon to 3 PM.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Le Bistro D’à Côté - Best Restaurants in Upper East Side ›
Le Bistro D’à Côté reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (10)romantic (7)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (5)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Excellent neighborhood findluvgdfoodDined on 8/22/2014Friendly, enjoyable, neighborhood bistro. Waters and owners are friendly and welcoming. Service is excellent and you never feel rushed. Food is excellent - never had a bad meal there. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMY453VIPDined on 8/21/2014WE ORDERED 2 ENTRECOTE THEY ONLY HAD 1 RAN OUT @ 6 PM DINNER BAD INVENTORY BY THE MANAGEMENT I ALWAYS LIKED THIS PLACE BUT NOW I DO NOT KNOW
- Very FrenchnouveauyorkerDined on 8/17/2014The salade nicoise and the ratatouille were outstanding, short but thoughtful wine selection, excellent salmon and foie gras. Simple food, perfectly prepared, it really is the ideal "bistro next door."Special Features:
- Too badfoodmamaVIPDined on 8/9/2014Food here used to be good - reasonable price that included drink, entree, and coffee. The special menu has been narrowed to a 'hangover special', and given the attention and service that we received, it seemed that the manager and staff suffer from hangovers too. We were one of only 2 tables early Saturday afternoon. The meal was botched. It was input wrong by manager, who wasn't fully engaged, & required re-cooking. The staff couldn't find the manager to hear our concerns (he was down the block). Now that items are individually priced, brunch was expensive. Bistro D'a Cote needs to wake up its service and menu - there are now many more options in the neighborhood that we will be trying from now on.
- Love love their salmon!tatianaVIPDined on 8/5/2014This is my go-to French place in the neighborhood but they still impress me sometimes. I got their salmon entree last time and it was absolutely divine. My partner swears by the coq-au-vin. I like the down-to-earth atmosphere and decent wine. And French waiters and owners always add to the authenticity of this place. Will definitely be back soon!Special Features:
- TellieEllieTellieEllieVIPDined on 7/12/2014Dined for the first time for French restaurant week. Delicious hanger steak and frites or dourade with artichokes zucchini tomatoes. Also included a glass of house wine. Red or white( a delicious Sauvignon blanc). All for 17.89!!!! Will definitely return to enjoy their regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, not so good servicecheflitoDined on 7/2/2014went to the restaurant for its all-you-can-eat mussels. the mussels were good and sweet but the service was kinda bad. there were very few of us in the restaurant (raining bad) and yet service was slow. I had to repeat my order of wine a couple of times, and even then they did not get it right and at the end of the meal, my waiter again has to ask, "what kind of wine did you get?". and the last bowl of mussels took forever to arrive. How long does it take to steam mussels?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/8/2014Wide range of food choices...you could order from the brunch or regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic bistro with twistsJessDined on 5/31/2014Very enjoyable experience. Atmosphere is comfortable and romantic, food is outstanding. Service is attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:
- A little bit of FranceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/24/2014You would think that you are in a neighborhood bistro in France. Mussels were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty successful eveningNYCJDined on 5/16/2014We were spending the evening with old friends visiting from overseas - had hoped to go to Tavern on the Green but two of our party were not very mobile and the forecast that evening was dismal so I looked on OpenTable for something closer to where they were staying, happily came across this place. Service was a bit patchy but the food was excellent, noise level not too intrusive especially after an adjacent table with a young child left, unannounced 20% tip because of the size of our party took me a little by surprise.Special Features:
- tres bienreenDined on 5/13/2014Food excellent for a reasonable price.Wine price a bit high for the selectionSpecial Features:
- A local spothmm2Dined on 5/12/2014This is def a local spot with an older crowd. We went for Loire Wine Week and had to ask for the special menu, but the food was very good and the wine it was paired with was also delicious. The staff was a little slow once some regulars with larger orders came in, but in general friendly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 277 reviews are from the Le Bistro D’à Côté reviews archive.
- Good food, and nice atmosphere. FooLarryDined on 3/17/2014Good food, and nice atmosphere. Food could be served hotter.
- Wonderful food and servicelg300Dined on 3/8/2014My fiance and I have been to Le Bistro D’à Côté several times. The food is always delicious, especially our meal last night. We shared a goat cheese salad appetizer, and we both had the hangar steak, which was wonderful. We shared a tarte tatin for dessert, and the manager added flaming Calvados to it, which was a special treat. In addition to the food being great, we had a nice wine and great after-dinner drinks, especially the Creme Yvette, which wasn't on the menu, but which the manager recommended to us. We'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bit of FranceilsacaroVIPDined on 3/1/2014I'm French and I always like to discover new French restaurants, and that's a real one. My daughters and I took the small portion of mussels which were perfectly fresh and tasty. Add a side of fries as it's not included with the small portion. The size were perfect to keep some room for a little dessert. My husband took a housemade coq au vin served with fresh pasta which was generous and delicious. The croque monsieur of my son was hearty and savory. We all started with a plate of foie gras to share. You can taste it's a real homemade, flavourful foie gras. The dessert were ok. My tarte tatin was not the best ever but the crepes au nutella and bananas were quickly eat up by all the gourmands. Good french experience, a bit expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Bistror d'à CôtéFrenhsk8VIPDined on 2/23/2014This was our first time at this restaurant. We were looking for brunch with friends at a restaurant which would be equa-distant for us. We were not disappointed. We all had the hangover brunch which was outstanding. The quantity and quality did not disappoint. The owner was a delight. His staff was attentive but not intrusive. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch in TownArlingtonVIPDined on 2/22/2014Delicious Hangover Brunch, with or without a hangover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodKBiznessVIPDined on 2/17/2014the food was VERY good and it was good value. would definitely return.Special Features:
- Friday night turmoilcubanoDined on 2/14/2014The food was very good, but the service could have been better. It took close to 1 hour before we were served our meal. Customers who came in after us already were eating their entrees before we ate our appetizer. They said there was a mix up in the computer and our order came in later. They did give us a complimentary glass of wine, which was appreciated.Special Features:
- Charming and AuthenticStringsriderVIPDined on 2/8/2014A sweet little place for a traditional bistro dinner. Welcoming staff, very good food and relaxing atmosphere. Feels as much like a bistro on rue de Buci in Paris, but for the view of First Avenue out the window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food, warm serviceAnjJDined on 2/3/2014I am continually amazed at how good the food is here. I've had brunch, lunch and dinner, everything from burgers to tuna tartare. The service in recent months has been excellent. In the old days there was a crusty waiter but I believe he's gone. On this latest visit for dinner, it seemed that it is somewhat pricier than it used to be, but they still have burgers and mussels as a more reasonable alternative. Our waitress was lovely and the ambience is very nice. They have a really nice bar area and some day I'd like to have appetizers and drinks there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- went with a close friend,janiceDined on 1/31/2014went with a close friend, a place where you can have a quiet talk without being ignored, the food was delicious - i had pork chop and she had steak - both were wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantLovetoEatDined on 1/11/2014Enjoyed a family birthday dinner. Service was excellent. Our group sampled many menu items and were impressed by the freshness of the food. The moules pastis was delicious as were the escargots. Flank steak was a big hit. We will definitely return on our next trip to visit family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful but wildly overpricedmickDined on 1/9/2014Visited last week for dinner for the first time in perhaps a year. Vastly improved food and service...Wonderful haunt for a casual dinner in the neighborhood. But for the pricing. Off the charts compared to its peers (e.g. Jacque's). Entire menu is priced for a top tier restaurant experience, as is the wine list. They must know their pricing is out of wack since they offer various, but hard to capitalize on, discounting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a surpriseSusanDined on 1/4/2014This restaurant was a great surprise. The food was terrific! The decor was lovely and the service was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oooh la laYummyDined on 12/31/2013Nice to have a French bistro in the neighborhood. People can eat at the bar of comfortably at a table - nice ambience Plenty of choices and have seen people have 2 appetizers for dinner - so not stuffySpecial Features:
- New Years dinnerkatesDined on 12/31/2013The staff were wonderful and patient with us on a very busy evening for them. We would recommend all of the dishes we ate and nothung was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite French eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/21/2013The wine was perfect with a well informed waiter helping me to choose. Service was warm, low key and to the point. I never enjoy chatty pressuring service nor do I want to be ignored . Here was perfectly balanced: inviting, accompdatind, and classy. No fawning waiter. No grumpy attitude either. Food timing and service was just right for an evening paced for time to enjoy losing one's self in the meal without ever feeling a wait was too long. Best of all the meal was classicly French simplicity - full of flavor due to great quality ingredients treated just so and served as soon as ready. The place is lovely and smartly decorated. It was a fully pleasurable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing French restaurantLiudmilaVIPDined on 12/19/2013The food was outstanding, very delicious. We had tried almost everything from the menu. Very good restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local dependablesparky401Dined on 12/15/2013Predictably UES french style food - hardly what you'd get in a real French bistro, but definitely what the local residents want. My companion ordered hanger steak, and he said the meat was great but there was too much sauce. I ordered a burger, which was excellent: on a toasted brioche style bun, the meat very juicy and flavorful, earth-moving fries. I found the wine list somewhat overpriced; perhaps the management can take a fresh look and reconsider their pricing structure.
- it's always gooddnycVIPDined on 12/5/2013This is a small neighborhood French bistro run by French management and a French staff and patronized by French customers. We come here for brunch, or when we want a low key, quiet, dimly lit, excellent French meal with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timeNeighborDined on 11/30/2013This was my third visit to the restaurant, and I was disappointed with the service. Our reservation was for 8 pm, and the restaurant was not overcrowded. However, after a long wait, we had to request bread for the table. It took a long time for our main courses to arrive. The dishes ordered were good, but the presentation not as up to par as in previous visits. I liked Bistro because the service was friendly, but tonight something was definitely off. Everyone seemed stressed out, so I'm a little disappointed.Special Features:
- Great food, really good qualityOliaVIPDined on 11/17/2013Great food, really good quality and presentation, simple but hearty and deliciousSpecial Features:
- Great food, nice atmosphereAnjJDined on 11/2/2013I really like this restaurant. I have been her for brunch and dinner and always enjoy the food. The service is pleasant and efficient, though not especially warm. I've also hung out at the bar and the atmosphere there is great, mellow, probably for an over-30 or even over-40 crowd, but still hip enough without being too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is good value at Happy HourChowhoundDined on 11/1/2013Otherwise, there are many better restaurants in the neighborhood at similar price points, namely Jacques and Quatorze Bis where the food is an A+. I would rate Le Bistro D'a Cote a solid B.I would recommend this to a friend.
- celebrated with a babyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/27/2013Food and service was good. Accommodated the family group well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experiencemimi10019VIPDined on 10/26/2013Very energetic local joint. Was packed. Food was good- not great. Service was great. Wine was nice. Ambience was nice
- I have nothing good to sayWoolworthDined on 10/26/2013I have nothing good to say the food overcooked the service poor. Worst brunch I ever had. My drink order was made wrong. We were four people at the table. 2 orders were for the hang over brunch. The eggs on two orders were over cooked and the plates were missing the French toast that was supposed to be on the plate. Didn't get the French toast until we finished our eggs and only one order came but we had two meals. Then we had asked for coffee and tea. that never got served until we asked the manager to get it. When we got the bill it was wrong we were overcharged. I will never come back for another meal because when I told the manager in the restaurant he didn't do anything about it or even apologize.Special Features:
- Delicious dinePregoDined on 10/11/2013The ambiance is very relaxed, the service is friendly ( our water was continuously filled throughout our dining experience which is always a plus), but the food was the highlight. Delicious dining experience. Very strong appetizer and ordered the special which was stellar. Definetly will go back for the mussels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.