Le Bateau Ivre
230 E. 51st Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Le Bateau Ivre
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.lebateauivrenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 583-0579
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Daily: 4:00pm - 4:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, French
- Executive Chef: HERBERT ROBERTSON
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: we can accomodate every kind of party, up to 40 people, special menu on request.
- Private Party Contact: amael or Herbert 2125830579
A word from Le Bateau Ivre
Le Bateau Ivre, a true french wine bar, raw bar and grill, opened on Manhattan's eat side in 1999. Le Bateau ivre offers more than 300 varieties of the finest French wines by the glass and bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Le Bateau Ivre - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Le Bateau Ivre reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (23)neighborhood gem (22)romantic (12)fit for foodies (10)late-night find (6)great for lunch (6)special occasion (5)great for brunch (4)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- French fave in NYCHungryTravelerDined on 11/15/2014Return here each visit to NYC. Lovely, intimate atmosphere, great food network service. Mussels are the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good...mhpinnyDined on 11/4/2014We have dined here several times since moving to the neighborhood 6 months ago. We find the food, wine and atmosphere to be very pleasant. It has turned into a "go to" spot when we are looking for a good meal close to home.Special Features:
- Like a night in Paris!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2014We were seated in a romantic corner by the window setting the stage for a romantic evening. The wine list is wide ranging and several wines are recommended by staff making for easier selection. The grilled calamari was superb; flavorful and not chewy as most usually are. The Apple Tartin dessert is worth the 25 minutes it takes to prepare! Perfect balance of sweet and tart. A wonderful find!!!Special Features:
- Good Exmaple of a Neighborhood GemEndeavourVIPDined on 10/29/2014Cozy little spot. Standard french bistro style fare, it won't blow you away but its's done well and reasonably priced. Best part is the large selection of different French wines by the glass, I would return for that alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/26/2014The service and food are outstaunding, always a great choice to enjoy a fine meal with friends.Special Features:
- Lovely little placeFoodloverDined on 10/23/2014The restaurant has a lot of ambience. It has subdued lighting, dark paneling, wine bottles on shelves along the walls. The food was wonderful my husband had the hamburger with Brie and he said it was the best he's ever had in his life. I had shepherds pie and it was wonderful! The service was great, they do a little wine tasting in the evenings which is a nice way to try something new. Everyone was friendly and pleasant and knowledgeable. Our server error recommended a wine to me that I loved and my husband liked better than the one he picked out for himself, so all in all it was a great experience. I wish we lived nearby so that we could go all the time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ItJopocampeDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I celebrated our 23 wedding anniversary. The food was great and the staff was awesome. Very pleased. Would go again.Special Features:
- French Country CookingGatorDiningVIPDined on 9/19/2014My boyfriend took me here for my birthday. It was a very delicious meal. Prior to the meal you are given some very dense, moist bread….so good. Ask for honey to dip the bread in..sounds crazy BUT IT IS SOOOOO GOOOOD! I had the duck breast with an orange gaze that was served with brussel sprouts, vanilla whipped potatoes. It was absolute nirvana. Portion sizes are respectable for the price tag. I would not say this is a "romantic" restaurant, as the tables were literally on top of each other… so there was a lack of intimacy. Nevertheless, this was a cute, french country restaurant with prompt service. I would highly recommend !Special Features:
- Food needs some attentionBethNYVIPDined on 9/18/2014I've been here previously, but it has been a while. I met a friend and we ate at the bar - the restaurant was busy. I ordered the mussels - and I have NEVER had so much raw garlic in any dish. I love garlic, but this was so harsh - it ruined the mussels and gave me stomach ache. My friend had the salmon tartare - very small and not very flavorful. It is a great little bistro - but there are so many in the neighborhood, that I think they have to focus on the food more.
- Authentic French food in midtownMichaelDined on 9/11/2014The way French food really tastes and not just how New Yorkers imagine it.Special Features:
- We love this placeRobinVIPDined on 8/14/2014This is a great little French restaurant with incredibly knowledgeable staff and an amazing wine list by the glass. I come here with my husband for dinner out during the week occasionally or with my husband and daughter on the weekend. Food is always great. Favorites include the Fois Gras, Smoked Salmon, Steamed Lobster, Duck Breast, among others.Special Features:
- French Bistro in NYKathyGDined on 8/13/2014Went here due to reviews stating wine and typical bistro atmosphere. I found it to be exactly that. The service was very attentive, the wine list extensive and the food was delicious. I (who am 65 years young) and my daughter (30 years very young!) loved it. My friend (for whom this was her 87th birthday) loved the food (had the duck confit) but found it very noisy, as did my husband. The fans were noisy, for sure, and the music was turned up to be heard over the fans, which did make it a little loud for we ancients. However, I would go back in a heartbeat, and think anyone who has been to France would love the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014I love the energy and charm, the food is always good, great wine list, great ambience.Special Features:
- A Hidden Gempgr1998VIPDined on 7/31/2014This one of the best French Restaurants I have eaten in. The food is superb, cooked there in front of you. The wine list is extensive and caters to all tastes and wallets. I started with the Pate de Campagne, which was outstanding. I followed that with the Lamb Chops, which were the best Lamb Chops I have ever tasted. The waiter was very attentive and suggested some wines to go with the dishes, which complimented them perfectly. The space is small but intimate, and the noise level is vibrant. Overall, I would recommend this a must see when you visit New York.Special Features:
- The following 73 reviews are from the Le Bateau Ivre reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/22/2014Food was good. Service was ok but some of the staff had an attitude that they couldn't be bothered. We had the Mussles and they were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemShakesVIPDined on 7/20/2014Le Bateau was an excellent choice for a summer evening. We were a party of 5 celebrating a birthday. With over 100 wines by the glass, an easy-going ambiance, and wonderful appetizers - esp. their signature tartines - we had a wonderful time on a Sunday night. We followed with several seafood entrees that were okay but not up to the level of the apps. Le Bateau decorated a dessert with a sparkling 'candle', adding to the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice restaurantPebbles28Dined on 7/19/2014Really nice food with extensive and excellent, if pricey, wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot on a rainy summer nightLovethecityDined on 7/15/2014We had a wonderful dinner with friends. Classic French Bistro cuisine. Mussels, Steak Frite, Duck all perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spotty serviceDesmonaDined on 7/10/2014The food is wonderful here, always, as is the wine--the service totally failed this time. Absolutely almost a cartoon image of a snotty French restaurant. Very, very sad, but so horrific, it should be noted. Lunchtime diners: beware.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/25/2014From the moment we entered, we were rushed to order, to eat, and to leave, by the owner!!! It looked like a restaurant we'd love, however the experience didn't match expectations!Special Features:
- Your own arrondissemtent in NYCTandAGVIPDined on 6/21/2014Magically transported away to a small bistro in Paris, the wines are the star of the show here. The list was recently reorganized to list the several in each category by the glass at the top of the list, which is helpful. The menu is small but good quality. The management is new but the chef is the same. We both had the chicken, which was well-seasoned and moist. I am a sucker for a good fois gras and the thick slab here is a treat (and harder to find in many US restaurants that skimp on the portion size). Our server showed us a new trick on determining age in a blind tasting on wine, which was fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little bit of Paris on LexOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014The singer was great and their were only a few people in the restaurant for lunch. We had brunch and the croque madame was excellent. Service was very good. great spot.Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceSquibanoDined on 6/20/2014We really enjoyed the food, ambiance, service and wine list. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ooo la lastubabeVIPDined on 6/11/2014Very parisienne, lovely ambience fine in every respect. Best steak frites in a peppercorn sauce ever. Scallops, perfect! Fresh berries and ice cream were great;Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So ParisAllanDined on 5/25/2014Reminded us of our favorite dining experience in Paris! If we lived nearby it would be on the short list of special occasion spots! Thanks for a perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JUST GOODOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014NIce food, service and wine list. The live music on Sundays is very good but too noisy for a small place.
- Wonderful French bistro.TheoVIPDined on 4/24/2014We enjoyed dinner at Le Bateau Ivre. The only thing that surprised me is that they have no liquor license; only wine and (I assume) beer. But food and service were outstanding, and there was even a wine tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French bistro, wonderful wineEaterVIPDined on 4/4/2014I hadn't been here in some time, but a friend who lives nearby had given it a recent try, and said it was vastly improved (think she mentioned new chef). Loved it. Duck was excellent, perfectly cooked. Even better - they have an unbelievable amount of wines by the glass! It feels like a real French restaurant, not some poor imitation, as some are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our Favorites in NYCZephyrsHumanVIPDined on 4/3/2014The standard menu is always right on, but they also have very tantalizing specials that I just can't pass on - this time I tried the inked calamari and beef stroganoff - both were awesome. He also offered a special 2008 Chateau Beaumont Haut-Medoc Cru Bourgeois that was amazing and well priced. They have a huge wine list and even more in the cellar that are not listed on the menu. Always ask, their wine are failry priced and they won't steer you wrong. Great food, excellent service, cozy and fun, you should try this place if you have not yet been!Special Features:
- A terrific dinnerMikeMDined on 3/8/2014Everything was just great, from our appetizers to the entrée and desert. We asked the waitress to select a wine for us to pair with our individual meals and she made the perfect match for our entrees. The wine was the finishing touch and made for a perfect meal. Overall a wonderful and delicious experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little gemNaneeDined on 2/16/2014Intimate spot for good food, great wine and perfect ambience. Walking distance from midtown hotels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!HappyDinerDined on 1/25/2014Le Bateau Ivre was delicious and cozy. I highly recommend it. They are also open late which is a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice Little PlaceNYvisitorDined on 1/20/2014Small, cozy bistro with a short menu of well-priced bistro classics and a large wine list. It's a nice place to meet for a good, unpretentious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMGTentenDined on 1/17/2014For once in my life I can say that EVER THING was delicious! ! Wonderful wine list. And the smoked trout and the onion soup to die for! Just spectacular!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DifferentGeordyVIPDined on 1/13/2014after sitting noticed waiter "adjusting" a light fixture. Pop no lights, music, fan. Staff still pouring water, waitress comes by after a few, I asked what was happening she said "I'm not the person to ask." A few minutes later music and fan back no lights. Finally lights! So we order. Starters fine..then mains...one guest ordered the chicken Pailllard..got Paella. So she had to wait for her chicken. One dessert ordered, one additional glass of wine and I asked if they had poire william.. Waitress said "What?"..I repeated it and said it was an eau de vie. She said "we have what's on the menu" I was looking at menu but companions said the look on her face was not pleasant. Food good, atmosphere good...waitress...not so much. Shame...Special Features:
- More than a wine bar, althoughfrequentdinerVIPDined on 1/5/2014More than a wine bar, although the list by the glass, by the flight or by the bottle is extensive and very French. Wonderful charcuterie plate, perfect duck, and the special cassoulet was almost as good as in France. Have to come here more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall exceptional food,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/4/2014Overall exceptional food, and great service; however the volume of the music was a bit loud and made converastion druing the meal very difficult.Special Features:
- Paris in NY!RobinVIPDined on 1/3/2014We keep comong back to this small but lovley restaurant. It is like being in Paris! Great food, from the charcuterie plate to the fois gras, to the duck, to the lobster! And the wine list is excellent! Great wines by the glass. Generous portions and large glasses help! Excellent service. The music is louder than ideal, but not intrusive... If you dont mind being a little crowded, this is truly like being in Paris in NYC..Special Features:
- Pretty averagethebabydocVIPDined on 12/26/2013Pretty average restaurant, which for NYC is not a good thing. I can summarize our experience as "they did not seem to be happy to have us."
- Lovely little French restaurant!DaisyVIPDined on 12/10/2013We had a great romantic dinner here at this little gem. The service was attentive, the room cozy without feeling crowded. Be sure to get a reservation. The french onion soup was as expected - very typical, hot and cheesy. If you like lamb order it here - delicious! The pate plate was enough to share with others - very country style - could have used more bread. Try the wine flights - so many by the glass options - very helpful staff when choosing wines. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.