26 Greenwich Ave
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lebaratinnyc.com/
- Phone: 2129331080x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
Brunch: Saturday-Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Lunch: Thursdays and Fridays 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Greenwich Ave between W 10th and Charles St
- Public Transit: West 4th Street: A,C,E, B,D,F,M ; Christopher Street - Sheridan Sq: 1,2 ; 14th Street: 1,2,3 ; Citi Bike
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking is typically available outside of the restaurant on Greenwich Ave. Parking garages are available nearby at 127 7th Ave South at W 10th St, 101 W 12th St, and 173 W 12th St. Visit http://nyc.bestparking.com/ and enter "West Village" for more locations
A word from Le Baratin
Le Baratin is a casual French bistro located in the West Village overlooking bustling Greenwich Avenue between 6th and 7th Avenues. Working with local products and purveyors, our menus feature a selection of familiar bistro offerings. Our signature dishes include the mussels, the tartare de boeuf au couteau, and the steak frites with a homemade peppercorn sauce served with perfectly cooked hand-cut fries. Our dessert menu features a changing assortment of homemade desserts, but always includes classic favorites like crème brûlée and chocolate mousse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Baratin reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)good for groups (9)late-night find (8)fit for foodies (7)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (4)special occasion (3)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (2)romantic (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- It was closedJohnFDined on 9/22/2014Door locked, lights out, chairs stacked on tables. I cancelled immediately and tried to make another reservation, but OpenTable wouldn't let me make an alternate booking. I love the restaurant so am rating it well based on prior experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French findLaraVIPDined on 9/20/2014A little like Paris in the middle of NYC. We had a great meal.Special Features:
- great ambiancekeiggi17Dined on 9/14/2014I celebrated my birthday and was great, all singing the happy bday song and got a nice dessert on the house. Server was awesome, good music and excellent FOOD. Our server was dancing and being nice to all of us. The bad thing was that food took too long over 45min and we were hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic French cuisinefreemaxouVIPDined on 8/31/2014Good food & nice service Authentic french cuisine & atmosphere Great locationSpecial Features:
- Fun to meet friendsClaufmuVIPDined on 8/30/2014Not the first time at Le Baratin and again it was a great place to meet friends, have great food and drink good wine/beers.Special Features:
- AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/27/2014What a blast! Food was delicious, Guillaume & Alex took very good care of us. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LivingNowDined on 8/1/2014Like a trip to France -- a charming restaurant with a great staff & delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you Le Baratin!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/25/2014Been there with some friends for late dinner. Food is delicious and comes in big portions. I loved the Salade Lyonnaise, and Steak Tartare.. A MUST! French waiters are providing a very good service, with good wines recommendations. I will be back soon! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, Place was to hotCWrightVIPDined on 7/14/2014The dinning experience was overshadowed by the lack of adequate A/C. The food was decent French comfort food, but the Tarragon Chicken, which was very flavor was also very dry. Would return but not in the summer.Special Features:
- Fabulous MealsusanmfDined on 7/12/2014We had the special treat of the owner selecting starters for us - all were exceptional: salmon tartare, mussels, and the special baked brie. Then came the entrees - all beautifully prepared and delicious. 2 of us shared the rib eye, one had NY Strip and the 4th had seabass. And the frites - superb. Can't leave out the creme caramel and mousse au chocolat! Reminded me of Paris. Cute place - maybe 34 seats total. If you are in the Village - come in for dinner. A great find. Even if you are not in GV, make a point to try Le Baratin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro Bet!TheJudge13Dined on 6/21/2014Michael has out done himself! After several years in the restaurant business with his father at Tout Va Bien, Michael has gone out on his own and opened an exceptional bistro. My husband (the judge) and me had mussels for an appetizer and a main course of Coq au Vin. The food was fantastic. The waiters were friendly and attentive. It is wonderful to have a real French Bistro in the Village.Special Features:
- Food is great!MariVIPDined on 6/15/2014They have the best steak tartare in town. Fries are excellent. Their food has been consistently great. Service and ambience are mediocre. But we go back for the food.Special Features:
- Ruined Birthdaychefiestera28Dined on 6/7/2014I celebrated my birthday w/10 people at Le Baratin on Saturday and was extremely disappointed. The waiter proceeded to leave the table without taking my order; that should have been sign of the service quality. We had to repeatedly ask for water/wine glasses after guests were seated. A guest ordered a salad and asked that they not include the egg and received no salad dressing; a plate the bacon bits was brought well after she had finished eating. The real issue arose with the ~$660 bill. They overcharged us by $200 and told us we didn't give them enough. It turned out the waiter had taken money out of the check for tip before charging the cards which was incorrect as gratuity was included. We received no apology. I will not be returning.
- Delicious!VVMMDined on 6/6/2014The baked Brie was amazing. I also had the Croque Monsieur and was very pleased. The staff was very friendly and the atmosphere was authentic French.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 49 reviews are from the Le Baratin reviews archive.
- A corner of ParisOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/2/2014Picture a French sports bar, and you've got the pleasant feel of Le Baratin. Very amiable barkeep, decent food from a brief menu. Probably best for a Muscadet and a snack.
- Service soooo slowBarbVIPDined on 5/25/2014The food was fine, drinks very good, but the service was so slow. It was beyond relaxing, to feeling like our order had not been given to the kitchen or they needed an additional service. Also, they needed to turn on the AC-it was uncomfortable, especially sitting so long. There are too many French bistros around for me to go back.
- Trip to FranceFoodieVIPDined on 5/23/2014Since it was on the beginning of the Memorial day weekend, it was a quiet night. The atmosphere was comfortable and relaxed. The French music in the background and the attractive French waiter made us feel as if we were in a small French village. What could be better? The food was authentic. I highly recommend the brie and the steak au poivre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst evening in a long, long timenycgalVIPDined on 5/14/2014I go out to dinner 4-5 times per week, and I cannot remember a less enjoyable evening. The steak was inedible (it was so tough, I couldn't even chew it). My 2 friends had similarly bad meals. However, that wasn't even the worst part. The restaurant was so loud we couldn't even talk to each other. I can't even begin to describe it. We finally gave up and paid the check and left. I won't ever be back.
- Great little WV placeOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 5/13/2014Food is outstanding. Waiter and bartender excellent. Noisy.Special Features:
- Loire Valley Restaurant Week!SpringskierVIPDined on 5/13/2014Lovely restaurant with cozy atmosphere, personable service, and delicious home cooked fare. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Actually FrenchGobbledygookVIPDined on 5/11/2014For the traditional French dishes, this is more "French" than you can find in France!!!Special Features:
- Nice little French restaurantakyzVIPDined on 5/9/2014We found this to be a nice little french restaurant, but the food was more "home"style rather than good cuisine. Food was good, but not outsanding.
- Great Food & Great Atmosphere....RaphyDined on 5/3/2014This is an excellent neighborhood French Bistro! Michael welcomed us with champagne while we were waiting for our table. We stated with the Baked Brie and the Beet Salad- both were phenomenal! The Rib Eye for two was good but a bit cold... The Tart Tatin was great! It's a small place that turns into a party place around 11:00 pm. Music was excellent and contributed to the atmosphere. we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but a little noisyNew2NewYorkDined on 5/3/2014We were quite pleased with the quality of the food but the restaurant was filled to capacity and was therefore a little noisy. It would be nice to have a couple less tables so getting in and out from our table wouldn't require touching our neighbours. Nice waiter who spoke French. Food came quickly. We weren't asked if we wanted dessert but didn't feel hurried.Special Features:
- Vive la Francechefgrace7Dined on 5/1/2014The best ever, who needs daniel, le bernadin, jean george. Le Baratin has great food, great wine and great handsome French men , The chef , Victor & Guion and staff help us celebrate a birthday party for my sister last May 1. No snotty french attitude here, just very kind, gentle, loving , outstanding service ,food, wine. I recommend that everyone try this place . They will make it happen for you.Special Features:
- Great Food and a Wild TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014I went with a date to this place. She had the Duck and I had Coq Au Vin. Food was excellent. We had an excellent Saint Emilion at reasonable price (and Champagne). Owner brought out some Muscadet on the house at the end. But that wasn't the END!!! At around 10 pm they somehow transformed the whole place into a dance hall of sorts. It's a small place but the place was packed and everyone was dancing and singing. Great atmosphere. Young and vibrant. Lots of ladies. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/24/2014Went there with a large amount of people. We had so much fun. Servicewise, Guillaume and Vincent were very attentive, and the food was very good and the wine too! Will be back! Thank You.Special Features:
- Amazing!CarlosDined on 4/12/2014Great place when you want to party and have great food at the same time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfactory dining experienceNYC2UpstateDined on 4/12/2014Made reservation through Open Table, somehow when we confirmed at restaurant they never entered that in their system. I was expecting a much larger restaurant - and more 'french' atmosphere. It was basically a small bar/restaurant with no noticeable decor that suggested french or anything else for that matter. Seemed there were too many managers/waiters back/forth throughout the evening in the restaurant. It was distracting. The food was good - altho not spectacular. Prices were reasonable. We did notice that it was busy the whole night so people must like it as a neighborhood bar/restaurant. I would not rush to go back as we like a more unique french experience and this is not that.
- Not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/5/2014Cute little place. Seated right away. After a bit we order a bottle and the charcuterie. Wine takes a long time, charcuterie never makes it. Service goes downhill from there as place fills up and becomes a party. Food was delivered randomly at different times by different people, and quite frankly, ranged from average to awful. Escargot were terrible. Out of half their wine list. Won't even think about going back. Far better places all over town.
- Quaint French bistroGeauxEdDined on 4/4/2014Very small neighborhood restaurant with great food and atmosphere. Dinner draws small parties of friends or couples and Sunday brunch tends to be quieter with mostly couples. The steak Tartare, mussels and chicken dishes are great and the pommes frites are very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, butbilllDined on 4/2/2014Go early, before the music gets turned on. When a room is energetic and everyone seems happy to be there, why add music to the noise level? Our evening began very nicely, without music, but when the room reached capacity the experience changed for the worse. Our waiter was very receptive to turning it off. But when it started back up again his answer was "the boss wants it on to create a festive atmosphere". The crowd was plenty festive before the music. A good, solid menu, well prepared, and a atmosphere very congenial to start with - the end result becomes tense and uncomfortable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive!DMNYCDined on 3/26/2014I picked Le Baratin for a low key, last minute dinner with friends. I hadn't noticed it before, but saw it on Open Table and thought the menu looked reasonable. Since it's close to Rosemary's I honestly thought we might try to put our name down there and if the wait was too long, keep the table at Le Baratin. I am so glad we never stopped at Rosemary's. We arrived at Le Baratin a little early and while they prepared our table, they gave us complimentary sparkling wine. The food was really great, literally everything we ordered, from the pate to the delicious potatoes with the poulet. I will definitely be going back ... this is a great low key neighborhood find! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Brunch HeavenGQ9figVIPDined on 3/22/2014This restaurant has the BEST brunch I've had in the city so far. There are no ridiculous bottomless mimosas and although their cocktail list is fantastic, the highlight is the food. The Croque Monsieur/Madame is incredible along with a few other menu items.Special Features:
- Good not exceptionallinbar48Dined on 3/14/2014I would definitely go again. It is a cute place with a good vibe. Food tasty and well prepared, not pricey. Would not recommend because it is not exceptional which many of my foodie friends expect. I enjoyed socializing with people on either side of us and all enjoyed their meal.
- a real French RestaurantPapiMaxVIPDined on 3/13/2014Chef is French, owners are 2nd generation French and the waiters are French. And so Is the food. Always a great experience. The steak tartare is like no other.Special Features:
- A fun, casual French bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/8/2014On a recent visit to Greenwich Village my wife and I enjoyed dinner at Le Baratin. The service was very friendly and prompt and the food was just terrific. If your looking for an unpretentious French dining experience, I highly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True Greenwich Village characterJVPfromLADined on 3/8/2014Very welcoming and casual, with a genuine French bistrot atmosphere. Prices are very reasonable for the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Friday NightJordanVIPDined on 3/7/2014Started off a bit rough as we had to wait 20+ minutes for our table in the very cramped bar area but once we were seated the evening continued to get better. The food was solid, service was adecent and the music was fun if a bit ecclectic. A very friendly crowd and a memorable evening.Special Features:
- just what you wantOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/6/2014this is a great spot. loved the food, love the waiters, loved the vibe. everyone wants a place like this in their neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.