Lazy Ox Canteen
241 S San Pedro St
Los Angeles, CA 90012-3808Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Lazy Ox Canteen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lazyoxcanteen.com/
- Phone: 2136265299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Thursday 5:00p-11;00p Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Travis Chase
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 2nd & San Pedro
- Public Transit: Red Line Metro to Civic Center. Walk East on 1st and turn right onto San Pedro.
Gold Line to Little Tokyo/Arts District. West on 1st and left on San Pedro.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is metered parking along South San Pedro and a parking lot on the corner of 2nd & San Pedro.
Lot is $5 after 4pm.
Free parking on street Sundays.
We do not validate parking or valet.
A word from Lazy Ox Canteen
Michael Cardenas (Matsuhisa, Boa, Sushi Roku) brings you seasonal, locally sourced global cuisine paired with craft beers and esoteric wines in a casual downtown setting at Little Tokyo's Sakura Crossing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lazy Ox Canteen reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (20)great for lunch (16)good for groups (11)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (4)romantic (4)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Before taking my wife to see a play we stopped for dinner at the Lazy Ox Canteen and the entire experience was great. Great service and the food was on point. To top it off, we ordered the chocalate cookie desert and it was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You guys nail it every timeatrisktravelerVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food is consistently good. Price is very fair for the quality of food. You should eat here.Special Features:
- Friendly staff, terrible food.PrevsVIPDined on 9/17/2014Maybe it's because we used a discount coupon, but my steak tasted like it was well past its "sell by" date. The fries with ragu was okay -- an Italian take on chili fries, so hard to mess up. The caramelized cauliflower tasted sour -- it needed sweetness which wasn't there to play off the sourness. Even with the discount, it wasn't worth the money. One bright spot... our beers were awesome.
- Off night?CelloplayerDined on 9/12/2014Our experience this time was mixed. Service and atmosphere were great. I ordered the scallops which were spot on. My guest ordered the seafood hot pot and it fell short from a previous dining experience. The shrimp, squid and clams were over cooked. Also, the size of the clams and mussels were significantly smaller than last time. The fish was of good portion size (2 pieces) and cooked well. Maybe we went on an off night, but seafood hot pot fell short tonight.Special Features:
- good eatspansalocaDined on 8/25/2014The food was really good. The service was great, and the place had a good ambiance. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Will not returnHobbie16Dined on 8/21/2014I was here two years ago and I loved it. Time changes things: the food was unremarkable (the vegetables as appetizer were undercooked -- the black cod as main course was good. The ambience too noisy- I asked three times to lower the music volume. The service not very attentive (they forgot my drink). Thre are way better choices for the money.
- Wonderful.PipperdogDined on 8/19/2014Wonderful food and wonderful service. And a very pleasant surprise - food was half price!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedlawomanDined on 8/13/2014I think this restaurant has gone downhill since I was here last a couple of years ago. Food was disappointing and mediocre although service was attentive and good.
- I'll be backJxA0Dined on 8/5/2014My date and I had a good time talking and enjoying the daily specials that the friendly waiter recommended. The black cod was our favorite of the evening.
- Never disappoints.chickenDined on 8/3/2014If you love good innovative food you must try this place. The hamburger is seriously delicious. I believe they make their own mustard, it is excellent! I have tried several things on the menu and have never been disappointed. The Ox is comfortable, tables are not too close together, staff always looks happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing burger!vanessaDined on 8/2/2014We went here after hearing they have one of the best burgers...and they really do! The burger isn't one that needs a lot of gourmet toppings (the cheese and sauces provided on the side are just flavorful enough without being overpowering). The meat is SO good because you can actually TASTE the beef (unlike some burgers where you just taste the toppings, cheese, etc). It tastes like a steak made into a burger :) The fries are excellent and the caramelized cauliflower is incredibly addicting.Special Features:
- KyongVIPDined on 7/29/2014foods is poor. Interior is terrible, their open time at lunch is 11:00am, but they are still not in a shape at all and are still cleaning the table. I do not want to go there anymore, never. This restaurnat should improve their food first.
- Outstanding ExperiencetimetoeatDined on 7/27/2014Our DineLA experience at Lazy Ox was fantastic. The servers helped me right away. I was waiting alone for two friends to show up. They seated me immediately and brought 3 glasses of water to the table even though my friends had not yet arrived. It was easy to choose our meals since the menu is limited. The food came out together. One friend had ordered a different entree (the salmon, while two of us ordered the burger), and a waiter came to tell her that her food would take a little bit longer, so he had brought a complimentary salad dish for her so that she'd have food in front of her. If that's not exceptional service, I don't know what is! The food was delicious, and the servers were attentive (we always had our water glasses full).Special Features:
- Must tryRepeatguest8VIPDined on 7/26/2014From the outside, it's not what you expect...but it's so good! Try the chiccarones and Okras. It's really a neighborhood gem. Decent wine list. You can tell the Chef is really talented and creative. Tried the rice pudding today and loved it. It's not overly sweet and just a touch of cinnamon. Lamb meatballs was paired to perfection with the arugula and farro. Loved it!Special Features:
- great deal for dinela!lilypad74Dined on 7/25/2014Food was good. Fantastic portions for your money's worth. Service was excellent. No complaints. I give it 2 thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum2Dined on 7/24/2014DineLA week menu. Carmelized Cauliflower starter was perfect, not too mushy,not too raw. Parmesan crusted salmon, large serving, tasty. Brusselsprouts side, ok. Dessert rice pudding not my fave.Special Features:
- Great foodhollyVIPDined on 7/22/2014Ate here for DineLA - a real bargain and great food.Special Features:
- Wonderful Saturday lunchlive2dineVIPDined on 7/20/2014I had gone to Lazy Ox once before for dinner. It wasn't a great meal, but it was good enough to make me want to give it a second try. I went for the DineLA lunch menu. The okra, the hamburger and the rice pudding were all very good.Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to beMrekimDined on 7/18/2014I've been here before and the tapas selection (mainly just appitizers) was great. This time, the menu seemed very limited and we had to wait an extraordinary amount of time for our dishes to show up (more than 1hr for the entree and 2.5 hrs for the entire course). The acoustics of the place also amplified large parties and made it difficult to have a conversation.Special Features:
- MehFo0dcr1ticDined on 7/17/2014It was too "hipster" for me. The food was alright. And the service was a bit slow. The water girl looks like she needs a few meals.Special Features:
- Pretty goodangelaDined on 7/16/2014Food was good, but it took forever to come out. They were genuinely apologetic, though. Overall okay experience.Special Features:
- Great food for a great priceatrisktravelerVIPDined on 7/15/2014The quality is something you would expect to find in one of the expensive chic restaurants, but at a neighborhood price. Like itSpecial Features:
- DownhillAlanvvVIPDined on 7/1/2014Totally gone down hill from 2 years ago, it must be the new ownership
- Get a ChefDinealotDined on 6/25/2014From the valet experience to bored hostess and god awful food-just an overall terrible experience. There is clearly not a chef at the helm.Special Features:
- The following 412 reviews are from the Lazy Ox Canteen reviews archive.
- Back to the previous excellenceRevZDined on 6/15/2014This visit to Lazy Ox was better than the last couple of times, when it seemed like the quality had slipped a bit. The polenta was excellent and the new pork chop was fantastic, although the mashed potatoes it was served with were bland. I was disappointed that the presentation of the rice pudding has changed, with caramel being drizzled on the top rather than served on the side--but it does save calories! I was also disappointed that the coffee presentation is no longer from the french press. But excellent food and a great time!Special Features:
- Burger fanVCWCHDined on 6/8/2014I came here because of all the great reviews on their famous burger, but I think that it is over price. I order a medium rare burger, but it does not taste juicy. I don't have any good reason that can convince myself to come back and try the burger again !Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014The food was mediocre. Overpriced for what it was.
- Consistent qualityatrisktravelerVIPDined on 5/19/2014Small neighborhood eatery with big restaurant quality food. Seems everything I've had on the menu is prepared with great care. Parking is a bit challenging, but I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When will small plate trend fade?smorgasbordDined on 5/16/2014When you order an entrée, you expect a dinner sized plate filled with food. Instead at the Lazy Ox, you'll get a child size portion on a lunch sized plate that will still cost you $30. Everyone at my table felt they were under-feed. If it's the best bite in the world then one bite is enough, but the food at Lazy ox is not delicious enough to justify small plates. The lazy ox is lazy with their portion.Special Features:
- Food Needs ImprovementJennyVIPDined on 5/6/2014Amazing service but food not so great. The restaurant is also fairly cute. I would probably go for drinks but not food.Special Features:
- Great foodPetaDined on 5/3/2014We went with a travelzoo voucher and were really impressed by the quality and quantity of food provided. Can't wait to return and try out the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- karenjosOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014This used to be one of my favorite places but so many menu items have changed. There were not that many appealing dishes. I don't think I will be returning as there are so many other places to try.Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to beRevZDined on 4/6/2014I still enjoy Lazy Ox, but was disappointed on this trip to see they had gotten rid of my favorite brunch item--the biscuit with gravy. The Toad in the Hole was almost as good, fortunately. Also missing were the yams, but the polenta was tasty as ever. The wild rice omelette w/ragu was too bland and odd of a combination for me. The new chocolate waffle was a great addition to the menu, though. Finally, the service was okay, but we have so much trouble communicating with the Sunday waiter. The same thing happened last time. He needs to improve his speaking skills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time had by allTGonzDined on 3/27/2014I had been looking forward to trying this restaurant since I heard some great reviews. I had family in town for my birthday and decided to take the risk of my very picky 9 yr old niece, 3 yr old daughter and selective husband there with my parents who were reluctant to try something new. Right away the service was fantastic. Our server was gracious and conscientious and though we had children with us he made them welcome and even became fast friends with them. He took the time to explain each dish and everyone had something they loved off this unique menu! Amazing time and I will definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fooddowntownsteveDined on 3/26/2014Good food and nice place. All the small plates were delicious--mussels, lamb meatballs, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, soft shell crab, etc., etc.Special Features:
- Tasty, Fun, and ConvenientgramikoDined on 3/16/2014Lazy Ox Canteen is a great before theater stop! Since we wanted to have an early, light supper, we (once again) made it a point to reserve a table for 5:00 on Sunday. We gave our server the heads up about wanting to leave by 6:00 to allow us enough time to get to the Music Center. Everyone was very courteous--took our beverage and food orders quickly and made sure we didn't order anything that would take too long to prepare. We had a great beet salad, wonderful cauliflower and broccoli, followed by piping hot baby back ribs and chicken wings. (The St. Andre cheese was spectacular!) Everything was fresh and delicious--all four of us really enjoyed every dish we ordered. It's a wonderfully convenient option for dinner downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty!LindlouDined on 3/15/2014my husband and I went here before a concert at Disney Hall. The food was excellent. The service was ok; but could have been better. We had a "discount menu" and we both enjoyed all of our choices, and we would go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service - Poor FoodSigma63Dined on 3/15/2014Were there on a Travelzoo special, we had previously been to their Japanese restaurant next door, Aburiya, also on Travelzoo special and both food and service were excellent. Severally disappointed with the Lazy Ox. Started with 2 appetizers, deep fried pig's ears and flavorful cauliflower dish, both excellent but things went down hills fast. Next was a Porcini risotto which have no flavor and wasn't worth eating. The entrée was a Hot Pot Seafood dish - the mussels, clam and squid tasted like they were cook in plan water with no seasonings and the 2 pieces of fish that were laid on top had been grilled without any seasoning - the dish was awful. The hot chocolate sundae was useless. We'll never go back again.
- expectation > actualmakan2Dined on 3/11/2014the appetizers were impressive - the okra, brussel sprouts and caramelized cauliflower, were very tasty and different. The baby back ribs were quite mediocre, the seared tuna drowned in the dill sauce. The risotto is well done but nothing to rave about. The seafood hot pot is homey. I wanted the dessert to wow me but it didn't -- chocolate waffles with whipped cream and some ice cream.
- Meh...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/8/2014...found out after we went that the chef that put this place on the map has moved on. Too bad, I was really looking forward to an interesting meal. I had the scallops, my girl had a mix of apps. Nothing special.