Lawry's The Prime Rib - Chicago
100 East Ontario Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
Prime RibPrice: $31 to $50
Lawry's The Prime Rib - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lawrysonline.com/
- Phone: 3127875000x
- Hours of Operation:
New! Windsor Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Reservations now accepted!
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Prime Rib
- Executive Chef: Victor Newgren
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Dinner "To Go" - Suited for all Home & Office Dining - Please Place your Order Two Business Days Prior. Delivery is Available at an Additional Charge.
- Cross Street: Ontario and Rush Streets
- Public Transit: Easy Access from Michigan Avenue CTA Bus Stops. CTA Red Line stops are conveniently located within blocks of our restaurant at Grand/State and Chicago/State.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is available during dinner hours only and can be easily accessed at our front entrance. Valet Rate is $14.
Validated self-parking garages are located at ROW Parking Garage (at 50 East Ohio Street) and Ontario Place Parking Garage (at 10 East Ontario). Rates vary between the two garages, but generally average $12 for three hours of parking, with restaurant validation.
A word from Lawry's The Prime Rib - Chicago
*NOW IN OUR 40TH MAGNIFICENT YEAR ALONG CHICAGO’S MAGNIFICENT MILE.* This Chicago treasure serves Prime Ribs of Beef carved tableside from silver carts. The famous Spinning Bowl Salad, whipped cream horseradish, mashed potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and warm hospitality create an experience that has landed Lawry's on countless "10 Best" lists. Enjoy our NEW Windsor Lunch within the beauty of our historic 1890's McCormick Mansion. And Unlocking Soon... SideDoor- a new concept on our Rush Street side, serving Gastro-fare, craft beers, hand-forged cocktails. Look for it in December!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Lawry's The Prime Rib - Chicago - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Lawry's The Prime Rib - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
362 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (284)romantic (174)good for groups (111)fit for foodies (96)notable wine list (71)neighborhood gem (58)hot spot (34)kid-friendly (27)great for lunch (19)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- BillBillDined on 9/14/2014We dine here about 4 times a year and it never disappoints. The prime rib is the best you'll find anywhere and the service is always amazing.Special Features:
- So worth it..Stone2626Dined on 9/14/2014We hemmed and hawed about the prices of this restuarant and whether or not we wanted to spend that much but we finally decided to give it a try. We were so happy we did. My family loved the waitress, right off the bat she was lively and colorful and entertaining. The food presentation was fun and overall the whole night was a blast, largely in part to the staff and great food at Lawry's. The next day my 22 year old said "That was amazing!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodmarthaVIPDined on 9/13/2014Had to order 6 wines before found one they had. Waitress was fun!Special Features:
- nightout52OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014we had a wonderful experience. I had some trouble cutting my meat and I was given a new piece which was much better! Our server was great and really took care of me what with my allergies to wheat. The atmosphere was very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Lawrys is the perfect place to take out of town guests to show off Chicago restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingClaireVIPDined on 9/12/2014Lawry's NEVER disappoints. The food and service are outstanding. I love Raymond, he is always accommodating and I love that the GM walks to ever table to ensure everyone is enjoying their evening. Thank you Lawry's, you are the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation fulfillment wasTardyEpicureanDined on 9/12/2014In spite of having a reservation, and we were prompt on our arrival, yet, there was a 25 minute delay in seating us, unacceptable, we were sent to the bar and it took 15 minutes for a bartender to take the drink order, unacceptable, when they, are that backed up, they should have a cocktail waitress and a separate service bar taking care of waiting customers with, or without reservations, this was very poor at best....!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good as I remembered itMikeNYCDined on 9/11/2014Unbelievable Prime Rib. Great ambiance and history; great service. Get the Diamond Jim Brady Cut; you can handle it! Be sure to try the creamed spinach and CC Brown hot fudge sundae too. I grew up in Chicago, and used to dine here on special occasions. This meal was better than my fond, fond memories. This is a "must try when in Chicago" restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a good experienceRosieDined on 9/9/2014We go to Lawry's the prime rib every two years, and each time our guest are impress by the service, the quality and the taste of the ribs. The wine list is also excellent and the dessert are irresistible. We recommend the restaurant to every one like good meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Best prime rib in Chicago! I take my work crew there during the IMTS tool show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecepcionanteLiribeDined on 9/6/2014Tuvimos que esperar 30 minutos a pesar de que teníamos reservación. Al parecer la olvidaron ya que improvisaron una mesa de muy mala calidad.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beromanoffVIPDined on 9/6/2014Not what it used to be. Though friendly, the service was poor - food good, but pricey.Special Features:
- Awesome!TonyDined on 9/6/2014We went to celebrate my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. We had ten in the party and everything was top notch! Definitely a great place for a formal dinner or special occasion!Special Features:
- Always a pleasure!OutoftownerDined on 9/5/2014We look forward to dining at Lawry's when in Chicago. The service, food and atmoshere are always outstanding! This visit was for my daughter's birthday and it was once again a wonderful celebration!! We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good as usualMarkGDined on 9/5/2014A Chicago tradition. Consistently makes the experience enjoyable. Nothing changes much which adds to its charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent - as usualRAK1Dined on 9/3/2014This is our go to spot a couple times a year. Always a treat. Always enjoyable. Always making us eager to return.Special Features:
- JoeBDined on 9/3/2014always a delight with great service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014Lawry's is one of Chicago's best! The food is excellent, service is outstanding, and we like the more formal atmosphere. Great place to celebrate an anniversary or other special event.Special Features:
- THE place for prime ribEkeckoDined on 9/1/2014If you like prime rib, this is the place to go. The lobster addition was good but not spectacular. If you're hungry, I suggest you get a larger cut of meat and forego the sides.Special Features:
- Prime Rib at Its BestJoelEDined on 8/31/2014Lawry's has the best prime rib!! And...on top of that the service can't be best! And...the ambience is outstanding! One of the best dinners I have ever had!Special Features:
- Best Prime Ribpgr1998VIPDined on 8/31/2014This Restaurant has the best Prime Rib I have ever tasted. It comes with a tossed salad and potatoes. It is carved tableside which adds to the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First-TimerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014My group of 5 went to Lawry's for the first time and overall had an enjoyable experience. We took advantage of the August couple special (3 courses for $99 including a bottle of wine). My party enjoyed their meals, especially the au gratin potatoes, the salmon, and the orange Bundt cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town visitorLundigrasdinerVIPDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful service and great food if you are a meat lover (but there are options for those who are not-one in our party had outstanding crab cakes). Lots of history and tradition to the restaurant and the building which contributes greatly to the atmosphere. I will definitely visit again when I'm in the Chicago area.Special Features:
- reservationchitowndinerDined on 8/30/2014I made reservations and was told I would be seated in 10mins but was seated in 40mins instead. You expect better when dining at a restaurant like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the BestmotorguyDined on 8/30/2014When we lived in Chicago, Lawry's would always be our special occasion place. Having been gone for a number of years, we had a chance to go back over Labor Day and made a point to go back with our kids. Still the best prime rib, salad and side dishes. The service was even better than we had remembered and the atmosphere was elegant. Well worth it!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Our server did a great job. When asked, I pointed out that the Horseradish had a bitter taste, he check with the kitchen and tasted it himself and confirmed the somthing was wrong. That said there was no response from management. That was disapointing. Also the spinach was under seasoned. Corn outstanding. Prime rib Perfect. It would be nice to have an aujus gravy boat on the table.Special Features:
- ExceptionalnacontiDined on 8/30/2014It's been quite sometime since we were last at Lawry's. The service was exceptional, the prime rib, the best in the City. The ambiance, appropriate for a romantic dinner or with the family. We'll definitely be back for another "Date Night" but we'll be back with our whole family as we'll. overall, a great evening! Thanks Lawry's for making it special,,Special Features:
- Loved Lawry's!sandyDined on 8/29/2014we had a great dinner! the prime rib was some of the best that i have had. a really fun place. would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves prime rib. good service, and good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The most horrible dining ever!disappointedpatronDined on 8/29/2014We thought this would be the perfect place to celebrate my husband's birthday. The waitress gave us our menus and immediately took them away before we had a chance to look at them , then knocked over the wine glasses on our table. As the dinner progressed we realized she couldn't recall what we had ordered. We all got gravy poured on top of our mashed potatoes (and did not want) and the prime rib was overdone. They forget my husband's birthday celebration & we received peanut butter cheesecake without us being aware that that was the only flavor offered. The creme brulee was still a bit frozen. THe waitress made inappropriate comments about the food, and her service was truly incompetent. One of the worst dinners ever!Special Features:
- Not what is was in the past!Honest1Dined on 8/28/2014Crust on the table bread can break a tooth. Salad was drenched in salad dressing. Mushrooms had no flavor. Service was extremely slow. I had to ask to keep my water glass full. I didn't have a place setting when my meal arrived. It took five minutes to get a knife while my food was getting cold. I used the men's room when I left. It smelled worse than the Monkey House at the Lincoln park Zoo! Prime Rib is average. I had better prime rib at Fox Pub at a third of the price. Spinach and mashed potatoes are good. Yorkshire pudding is good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014Lawry's was the perfect final stop to our day outing in Chicago with out of state guests. Lovely surroundings, excellent service, and large delicious portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/28/2014We had not been here for quite some time. The August dinner special was great. Classic but did not disappoint. Would highly recommend for special occasions. Quality and service like only Chicago can deliver.Special Features:
- Good, not great60640Dined on 8/27/2014Over all our dining experience at Lawry's Chicago was good. It was basicially acceptable in ambiance, food and service but it certainly could have been better. Hence the rating of good. The full restaurant is cut into so many rooms, hallways, and steps that it reminded us of a "behive-like atmosphere". The table (91) was isolated in a alley-like room. When I asked why we weren't seated in in the main dining room, we were told because "you didn't ask for it". Who knew? Food was good but it certainly needed spices/herbs to enhance its flavor. Service was friendly, but sporadic because the 'overwhelmed' server had too many tables. The liquor prices were shockingly high. Over all good but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummylovetoeatDined on 8/26/2014If you visit Chicago, you have to try Lawry's, it's amazing and I don't even like steak. Have the primerib classic plate, you won't be sorry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent prime rib!ChicagonewbiesDined on 8/25/2014This was a special experience, starting with arrival in this elegant dining room in a former mansion. The prime rib and sides incompletely met our elevated expectations, and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Great ServiceLadytDined on 8/25/2014The food was Great. I ordered the California Cut in hopes of getting a desert but everything was so filling I had to take some home with no desert. The service was absolutely outstanding I will certainly return.Special Features:
- A great eveningnwsidejimDined on 8/25/2014We took advantage of the special $99 dinner for 2 for August and had a wonderful evening. Our server, Mary D was a delight. She explained the special to us and indicated we could upgrade to a larger cut if we wanted or include an lobster tail. The 8 oz prime rib was more than enough and the sides, especially the spinach made the meal. We look forward to a special occasion to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lawry's No flexibilityLAf313VIPDined on 8/25/2014Although my prime rib was excellent, I was disappointed that the policy of Lawry's is not to allow substiution of a vegetable in place of mashed potatos.This is the first restaurant that I have encountered this in. Yes you could order a side vegetable but for one person the portion is way too big. For those counting carbs this is not a place to visit without substitution being allowed. Not sure I will go back unless they rethinkg their policy. Offering a dessert was a nice jesture but to someone watching carbs didn't make sense.
- Watch out the recomend tip chartShizukoDined on 8/25/2014Going there since they open. They had specil deal, dinner was o.k. but when they printed bill. bill amount was o.k. but their recommended tax table was original price (not special deal). For 4 people they add more than $10.00 for 20% recommended chips.Special Features:
- Simply Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014My first time and it was like stepping back in time. The staff attentive, the décor gorgeous, the food superb! Going back next weekend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.