Lawry's The Prime Rib - Chicago
100 East Ontario Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
Prime RibPrice: $31 to $50
Lawry's The Prime Rib - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lawrysonline.com/
- Phone: 3127875000x
- Hours of Operation:
New! Windsor Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Reservations now accepted!
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Prime Rib
- Executive Chef: Victor Newgren
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Dinner "To Go" - Suited for all Home & Office Dining - Please Place your Order Two Business Days Prior. Delivery is Available at an Additional Charge.
- Cross Street: Ontario and Rush Streets
- Public Transit: Easy Access from Michigan Avenue CTA Bus Stops. CTA Red Line stops are conveniently located within blocks of our restaurant at Grand/State and Chicago/State.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is available during dinner hours only and can be easily accessed at our front entrance. Valet Rate is $14.
Validated self-parking garages are located at ROW Parking Garage (at 50 East Ohio Street) and Ontario Place Parking Garage (at 10 East Ontario). Rates vary between the two garages, but generally average $12 for three hours of parking, with restaurant validation.
A word from Lawry's The Prime Rib - Chicago
*NOW IN OUR 40TH MAGNIFICENT YEAR ALONG CHICAGO’S MAGNIFICENT MILE.* This Chicago treasure serves Prime Ribs of Beef carved tableside from silver carts. The famous Spinning Bowl Salad, whipped cream horseradish, mashed potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and warm hospitality create an experience that has landed Lawry's on countless "10 Best" lists. Enjoy our NEW Windsor Lunch within the beauty of our historic 1890's McCormick Mansion. And Unlocking Soon... SideDoor- a new concept on our Rush Street side, serving Gastro-fare, craft beers, hand-forged cocktails. Look for it in December!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Lawry's The Prime Rib - Chicago - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Lawry's The Prime Rib - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
357 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (282)romantic (173)good for groups (109)fit for foodies (89)notable wine list (69)neighborhood gem (58)hot spot (30)kid-friendly (26)great for lunch (21)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (9)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Prime Rib at Its BestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Lawry's has the best prime rib!! And...on top of that the service can't be best! And...the ambience is outstanding! One of the best dinners I have ever had!Special Features:
- Best Prime Ribpgr1998VIPDined on 8/31/2014This Restaurant has the best Prime Rib I have ever tasted. It comes with a tossed salad and potatoes. It is carved tableside which adds to the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First-TimerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014My group of 5 went to Lawry's for the first time and overall had an enjoyable experience. We took advantage of the August couple special (3 courses for $99 including a bottle of wine). My party enjoyed their meals, especially the au gratin potatoes, the salmon, and the orange Bundt cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town visitorLundigrasdinerVIPDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful service and great food if you are a meat lover (but there are options for those who are not-one in our party had outstanding crab cakes). Lots of history and tradition to the restaurant and the building which contributes greatly to the atmosphere. I will definitely visit again when I'm in the Chicago area.Special Features:
- reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014I made reservations and was told I would be seated in 10mins but was seated in 40mins instead. You expect better when dining at a restaurant like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014It's been quite sometime since we were last at Lawry's. The service was exceptional, the prime rib, the best in the City. The ambiance, appropriate for a romantic dinner or with the family. We'll definitely be back for another "Date Night" but we'll be back with our whole family as we'll. overall, a great evening! Thanks Lawry's for making it special,,Special Features:
- The most horrible dining ever!disappointedpatronDined on 8/29/2014We thought this would be the perfect place to celebrate my husband's birthday. The waitress gave us our menus and immediately took them away before we had a chance to look at them , then knocked over the wine glasses on our table. As the dinner progressed we realized she couldn't recall what we had ordered. We all got gravy poured on top of our mashed potatoes (and did not want) and the prime rib was overdone. They forget my husband's birthday celebration & we received peanut butter cheesecake without us being aware that that was the only flavor offered. The creme brulee was still a bit frozen. THe waitress made inappropriate comments about the food, and her service was truly incompetent. One of the worst dinners ever!Special Features:
- Not what is was in the past!Honest1Dined on 8/28/2014Crust on the table bread can break a tooth. Salad was drenched in salad dressing. Mushrooms had no flavor. Service was extremely slow. I had to ask to keep my water glass full. I didn't have a place setting when my meal arrived. It took five minutes to get a knife while my food was getting cold. I used the men's room when I left. It smelled worse than the Monkey House at the Lincoln park Zoo! Prime Rib is average. I had better prime rib at Fox Pub at a third of the price. Spinach and mashed potatoes are good. Yorkshire pudding is good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014Lawry's was the perfect final stop to our day outing in Chicago with out of state guests. Lovely surroundings, excellent service, and large delicious portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/28/2014We had not been here for quite some time. The August dinner special was great. Classic but did not disappoint. Would highly recommend for special occasions. Quality and service like only Chicago can deliver.Special Features:
- Good, not great60640Dined on 8/27/2014Over all our dining experience at Lawry's Chicago was good. It was basicially acceptable in ambiance, food and service but it certainly could have been better. Hence the rating of good. The full restaurant is cut into so many rooms, hallways, and steps that it reminded us of a "behive-like atmosphere". The table (91) was isolated in a alley-like room. When I asked why we weren't seated in in the main dining room, we were told because "you didn't ask for it". Who knew? Food was good but it certainly needed spices/herbs to enhance its flavor. Service was friendly, but sporadic because the 'overwhelmed' server had too many tables. The liquor prices were shockingly high. Over all good but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummylovetoeatDined on 8/26/2014If you visit Chicago, you have to try Lawry's, it's amazing and I don't even like steak. Have the primerib classic plate, you won't be sorry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent prime rib!ChicagonewbiesDined on 8/25/2014This was a special experience, starting with arrival in this elegant dining room in a former mansion. The prime rib and sides incompletely met our elevated expectations, and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Great ServiceLadytDined on 8/25/2014The food was Great. I ordered the California Cut in hopes of getting a desert but everything was so filling I had to take some home with no desert. The service was absolutely outstanding I will certainly return.Special Features:
- A great eveningnwsidejimDined on 8/25/2014We took advantage of the special $99 dinner for 2 for August and had a wonderful evening. Our server, Mary D was a delight. She explained the special to us and indicated we could upgrade to a larger cut if we wanted or include an lobster tail. The 8 oz prime rib was more than enough and the sides, especially the spinach made the meal. We look forward to a special occasion to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lawry's No flexibilityLAf313VIPDined on 8/25/2014Although my prime rib was excellent, I was disappointed that the policy of Lawry's is not to allow substiution of a vegetable in place of mashed potatos.This is the first restaurant that I have encountered this in. Yes you could order a side vegetable but for one person the portion is way too big. For those counting carbs this is not a place to visit without substitution being allowed. Not sure I will go back unless they rethinkg their policy. Offering a dessert was a nice jesture but to someone watching carbs didn't make sense.
- Watch out the recomend tip chartShizukoDined on 8/25/2014Going there since they open. They had specil deal, dinner was o.k. but when they printed bill. bill amount was o.k. but their recommended tax table was original price (not special deal). For 4 people they add more than $10.00 for 20% recommended chips.Special Features:
- Simply Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014My first time and it was like stepping back in time. The staff attentive, the décor gorgeous, the food superb! Going back next weekend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I dined at Lawry's this past Saturday to celebrate his birthday and our anniversary. We chose the August dinner special which consisted of 3 courses plus a bottle of wine for $99. We each ordered prime rib, medium-rare. Our waitress served mine medium, my husband's medium-rare. Not sure how she made this mistake, as she relayed our orders, one at a time, to the carver, who was no more than 10 feet away. At the end of our meal, she brought us each an ice cream sundae with a candle. Nice touch, but we were not given a choice of dessert (included in the special). Neither of us would have chosen ice cream. We were never offered coffee, but had to request it. Overall, a disappointing experience for a special occasion celebration.
- FelicianoOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2014Yes, Feliciano. He has worked at Lawry's for 40 years and was a gem. He was in command of the rolling prime rib and carved it tableside for you. Our server was also terrific with all the service absolutely top notch. And although it is a formal setting, the place really doesn't feel stuffy - we were quite comfortable. I've been in places before where I just feel out of place and that was not the case here. The prime rib was definitely the star with the Yorkshire pudding coming in second. YUMMO! Will try to come back soon!Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I went to Lawry's for their August 3 course meal special. This was his first time and my second time at the restaurant. We sat in a smaller dining area than the larger dining room; it was very quaint and romantic. The staff worked very hard and all had such positive attitudes and answered all of our questions about the menu. The food was spectacular and my husband decided we need to go there again SOON! We joined their frequent dining program and hope to go more often!Special Features:
- ***Great as always***mhardy01Dined on 8/22/2014My love for Lawry's goes all the way back to 1973. I was there the night it opened. I surprised my wife with a visit for her birthday, Friday night, August 22nd. Our reservations were at 5:00 when they opened. The decor and dinner were wonderful as always. Service was terrific and our server stated that she had worked there for 37 years. This says a great deal for any place; working that long for the same place. We highly recommend this restaurant. You simply will not do better for prime rib. Worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality seems to have falteredfoodieinChicagoDined on 8/21/2014Being reward card members we make special trips to Chicago ( we are from Hillsboro MO.) to eat at our favorite restaurants, Lawry's being one of them. We again enjoyed our experience but were disappointed in the prime rib although good it was a little grainy. It was a little tough and a little overcooked for what we requested. Our server was excellent.Special Features:
- never failsprimeribloverDined on 8/21/2014Prime Rib was excellent. Food was great and the service was as well. Only issue was the bartender who does not listen. Otherwise very good and well worth going.Special Features:
- AguadenaDined on 8/21/2014The place was awesome. The food & service excellent. I will definitely will recommend & will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREATAggieEdDined on 8/18/2014My guests and I thououghly enjoyed our delicious dining experience at Lawry's. Thank you for continuing to set the bar high and for over achieving that goal each time.
- One of our favorite restaurantsBlessedcoupleDined on 8/18/2014We came in for the August $99 special for two. It was a great deal with entree, an Ala cart side, dessert, and specialty teas (since we don't drink). My prime rib with all of the fixings was great! My husband's fish was a little over charded. They more than made up for it by sending him home with a prime rib dinner which he really enjoyed the next night. Also we put a note on the reservation that we would be rushed. The waitress acknowledged this and went out of her way to get us out in record time. All of this is the kind of excellence that we have come to expect from Lawry's. Keep up the great service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall experienceWilsonDined on 8/16/2014Not being a stranger to Lawry's, everything was as I expected. A very capable staff with Brenda, our waitress being the most important. We found her to be very friendly and accommodating. Our Master Carver that evening was especially friendly and engaging. The only disappointment was when we found out that our favorite dessert, 'bag of chocolate' was no longer on the menu. Hope they bring it back. We had peach cobbler instead and found it to be excellent. Good save!Special Features:
- LawryTricksterDined on 8/16/2014Outstanding food and service, would recommend for special ocassionsSpecial Features:
- lawrydepauwgradDined on 8/16/2014Our experience was awesome! Great ambiance, service, incredible food! Thank you!Special Features:
- Roaring 20'sPar4JoeDined on 8/15/2014Another fantastic meal at Lawry's! We have dined at the Las Vegas location twice before, so we new what to expect. The restaurant in Chicago was formally the McCormick mansion, so it is very ornate, built in the early 1900's. The décor and the staff, take you back to the 1920-30's era.Special Features:
- Great ServicesprjDined on 8/15/2014Our waitress was very pleasant and attentive. Enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:
- Great food, big bucks.McCsDined on 8/15/2014Fabulous prime rib. Fabulous food, all around. The servers are very pleasant, but do push all the side dishes which also push up the bill.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/15/2014We were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary so we choose Lawry's since it is one of our favorite places for special occaisions. We ordered the summer special which included a bottle of the house wine and dessert. The service from our waitress, Ms. Garcia was excellent. The only thing that was disappointing and not at all as we had in the past was the Strawberry Trifle. It is served in indiviual servings and very dry since they no longer soak the lady fingers in alcohol. They said this was because kids sometimes have this dessert. One suggestion, you should make a version for kids without the alcohol so that adults can enjoy the dessert as it was orignally prepared. I think this is poor excuse for making such a big change.Special Features:
- pattie39Dined on 8/15/2014FOOD AND SERVICE WERE EXCELLENT! IT WAS KEITH'S BIRTHDAY AND THEY GAVE HIM A NICE SURPRISE. WE WOULD GO BACK OFTEN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Prime RibLakerEats21Dined on 8/15/2014From the minute you enter you are transported back to a bygone era. Yes people were in casual dress but the old fashioned servers and waitresses made you feel as though you were in a special place. The prime rib was great as well as the cream corn. The creme brûlée and gelato were great. My only suggestion is to come hungry.Special Features:
- Excelent Prime RibManuelVIPDined on 8/13/2014I have to admit this is the BEST prime rib I have ever had. A must for anyone visiting Chicago!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PRIME ( RIB ) TIMEprimeribluverDined on 8/13/2014Wish I had not upgraded my choice as I didn't want to deal with the bone. No bone in the 8 oz. cut.Special Features:
- A genuine pleasureluvgr8diningDined on 8/12/2014A very special occasion enhanced immeasurably by our first visit to Lawry's! We had thought about dining there for some time and, so, our expectations were quite high. To our delight, they were exceeded. While not inexpensive by any means, the high quality of the food was worth every cent and the service was extraordinary. Very well done, Lawry's. We shall definitely return and will highly recommend it to anyone visiting Chicago. Thank you so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumBarbadosbeachgurlDined on 8/12/2014Delicious as always. Loved the spinning salad presentation. The mashed potatoes and creamed corn are perfect. Prime rib was the star. Beautiful setting and enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.