545 E.5th St.
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lavagnanyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 979-1005
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Enrique Romero
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Lavagna is available for parties up to 50 people. You may book the entire restaurant for lunch, or for dinner Monday through Thursday.
- Private Party Contact: Yorgos 212-979-1005
- Cross Street: Ave. B
- Public Transit: By Subway: F train to Second Ave stop 6 train to Astor Place
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: The closest public lot is located at 167 Essex Street and the corner of Houston, near Katz's Deli. It is a five block walk to the restaurant and we recommend the lot for parking during the weekends as street parking can be scarce.
A word from Lavagna
Lavagna opened its doors on February 1st 1999.The restaurant offers casual Italian trattoria fare at moderate prices. The vibe is candlelit, cozy, with an old wood burning oven, exposed brick walls, a pressed tin ceiling and a small wine bar where one can dine also. A wall of French doors swing open in the warmer weather to a seasonal sidewalk cafe of 20 seats. The kitchen concept is to create dishes traditionally Italian, emphasizing fresh, seasonal ingredients and product of the highest quality. The menu highlights include homemade pastas, a wood oven roasted fish for two, roast pork chop, baby rack of lamb and of course the rigatoni with sweet and spicy sausage that has become a classic over the years. The wine list has been a yearly recipient of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence since 2002 and it focuses on hard to find wines from regional Italy along with other international selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Lavagna - Best Restaurants in East Village ›
Lavagna reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (68)fit for foodies (46)romantic (36)notable wine list (29)great for outdoor dining (27)special occasion (22)good for groups (16)late-night find (9)hot spot (9)scenic view (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014We loved this restaurant and would go back in a minute. The flavors and textures of the food were subtle and interesting. I found myself eating slowly so I could savor every bite. The pasta with rabbit was especially good. Service was casual but professional in a way that one hardly ever sees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014I was in town for the weekend and was trying figure out where to take a friend and decided on Lavagna. The restaurant itself is very cute; small and cozy but not crowded. Food was excellent; however the first FOUR bottles of wine I chose off the wine list they did not have in stock. That wasnt the best way to start my meal, however the owner/manager was very gracious in helping me decide which wines he DID have. Other than the wine debacle excellent experience!Special Features:
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014It took quite a while for our water to come, let alone our beverages. On top of that they were not refilled all night. The oxtail ragu was really good till about the fifth bone I almost choked on. In a pasta, that is not a good sign.
- Great Neighborhood SpotFoodieVIPDined on 11/1/2014Looking for a great, fun spot in Alphabet Soup section of Manhattan, try Lavagna. There are Italian dishes with several specialties such as bow-tie pasta with rabbit. The food is great, service attentive, but it is noisy, crowded and cramped, especially on weekends. Just go with it, and you will enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good old fashioned ItalianDanTableDined on 10/29/2014I was with company and didn't pay too much attention to the menu (sorry!) but we all seemed to like what we ordered, the atmosphere was nice and the service was very good.Special Features:
- Great East Village eateryFoodieDined on 10/28/2014We had a love,y dinner here with a friend. The East Village is full of young people from diverse backgrounds.the food was delicious & prepared nicely. We sat at a table that opened to the sidewalk. Good wines recommendations & pleasant service.Special Features:
- goodfoodguruDined on 10/28/2014Great dishes , very creative menu with some unusual combinations that hit the spot. Really enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceRomanticDined on 10/25/2014I had dinner with some friends and its a great experience and very funny.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and awesome serviceNYCfoodieDined on 10/18/2014After passing Lavagna on the street a few months ago, finally had the chance to check it out. I had the rigatoni and my husband had the pork chop --- both were really delicious. Even though the restaurant really filled up while we were dining the waitstaff were really attentive. I'd definitely come back and would recommend this place to anyone looking for good Italian cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was outstandingStellaDined on 10/17/2014Food was outstanding, and not expensive, considering the quality. The place is very small and tables are packed together. Our waiter was knowledgeable and made an excellent wine recommendation. Service was fast. As soon as we were finished with one course, our plates were whisked away and the next course appeared.Special Features:
- ImpressiveFarfalla1018VIPDined on 10/16/2014I took a friend in from out of town and we were very impressed. The food was delicious and, frankly, I expected it to be. The surprise was the incredible service and spot on recommendations. From the wine to dessert, they nailed it every time. I will recommend and return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always DeliciousMarebareVIPDined on 10/14/2014This was my second time dining at Lavagna. The wonderful food combinations are no secret though as customers with discerning palates pile in after 7:30 PM. We go on the early side to have the quiet. It is a beautiful room and just small enough to know they can manage the service well. The rack of lamb, fish (mahi-mahi), artichoke appetizer, bean puree, parsnip puree and proscuitto are terrific. A very seasonal menu that is precise and unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our "go to" neighborhood placeDevoteesVIPDined on 10/13/2014Lavagna is so consistently good - almost like home yet festive enough to pick up your mood with a simple, delicious dinner out. The proprietor remembers regulars and extends extraordinary hospitality! We go at least twice a week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our "go to" restaurantSarahDined on 10/9/2014While there are many restaurants to choose from in our neighborhood, we often find ourselves at Lavagna. We have never been disappointed - the food is consistently excellent and the wine list extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Food us consistently great and price fix is excellent bec they do not scrimp on portionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly owner takes your order.RandyDined on 10/5/2014Very accommodating and good drinks and food. The menu is a little sparse but I found things I liked. I am a little narrow but what I ordered was excellent. Sure could use a chicken parm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No better restaurant in New YorkBradVIPDined on 9/24/2014Fresh, creatively and well-prepared food. Charming atmosphere. Hip, happening crowd. Fantastic and friendly staff. Give it a try -- you'll be wowed.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseSandmanVIPDined on 9/19/2014Hidden neighborhood gem with somewhat limited but interesting choices such as ther braised rabbit pasta dish. Good wine list and staff does a nice job pairing them to meals if asked. Tables a little close but that adds to the ambience and charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local Spotloves2eatDined on 9/13/2014I have been to Lavagna several times. The food is dependably good and the atmosphere is charming. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/12/2014Lavagna is a great find. The food is delicious especially the pasta. Great service and can eat outside too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of ItalymomicDined on 9/11/2014Good food with creative flavoring. Nice atmosphere, you almost orget you are in nyc. God poartions sizes as well.Special Features:
- Another fabulous meallivtoeatVIPDined on 9/7/2014My husband and I just love ur here. The food is consistently awesome. Going back again this weekendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EtiquetteDined on 8/30/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in New York. A true gem with amazing Italian food and a wonderful staff.Special Features:
- Great dinneryummyVIPDined on 8/29/2014We love the monkfish and the rabbit braised pappardelle. The ambiance was great with the indoor/outdoor feel of the open windows to the street, great decorating/lighting and overall vibe. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- OKDavidADined on 8/24/2014I was a regular at this restaurant but recently went there with a friend on a quiet Sunday summer night. I only ordered a pasta special which was bland and overcooked. My friend ordered salmon which was decent. We were offered a fish special for two only to find out a few minutes later that it was no longer available. Server was very nice, though. I won't make the trip to the East Village which we used to do since neither of us live anywhere near there.
- Lavagna doesn't disappoint.Kitty23Dined on 8/20/2014Great food, friendly atmosphere, over all very special.Special Features:
- Fabulous in Every waydmozDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I were in New York for five nights, dined out every night, including some real high end, super expensive restaurants. This is not in that category, but food, service, wine were all stellar.Special Features:
- The following 469 reviews are from the Lavagna reviews archive.
- Great Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014My husband and I brought my 93 year old grandmother here for dinner. She is hard to please and needs some special attention as she has a cane and has trouble walking. The staff was very nice and accomidated her every wish. My grandmother ate everything and fully enjoyed it. This is an acomplishment as she doesnt always feel this way after a night out. She even felt the the prices were reasonable. My husband and I enjoyed our food too. We look forward to going back with our 11 year old daughter.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014Great food, nice wine list, fab deserts. Lots of energy and really good service.Special Features:
- home sweet homenycfoodisloveVIPDined on 6/29/2014neighborhood italian with a home feeling and upscale taste. best pasta in this area of new york with a tasty variety and impressive specials every night. always go back for more...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BestBarryVIPDined on 6/29/2014Great atmosphere, great food, great wine list, what else can I say!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED LavagnaOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2014Vibrant, cozy East Village restaurant. Made a last minute open table reservation after "searching nearby" and was graciously seated when we arrived 15 minutes later. Food was fabulous! Atmosphere was excellent: a little loud but nice buzz, open front, tin ceilings, flattering lighting. Host was attentive and professional. Followed up our convivial meal with dessert at Big Gay ice cream in what will be one of our favorite future dinner/dessert pairings!Special Features:
- Relaxing FridaysophikieDined on 6/27/2014My wife and I went for a quite dinner on Friday and were easily seated outside at 7pm. The food was delicious as was the wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection at LavagnacezerinaDined on 6/21/2014Really a hidden gem in the East Village - and in a city full of "amazing Italian restaurants." This is the one that stands out. Best homemade pasta I've ever had, the freshest ingredients, great ambiance, and a perfect way to celebrate a special occasion, or, you know, a Tuesday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2ndtimerVIPDined on 6/20/2014We got there early and had a chance to grab one of the tables out front. There is limited seating outside. Overall for a first-timer a very nice experience. I will be back.
- East Village Gemmjm1VIPDined on 6/20/2014Tucked away on E. 5th Street and Avenue B. Charming small exposed brick interior, sidewalk tables available. Great Italian menu at affordable prices. Congenial staff. Great place if you are going to the Metropolitan Playhouse for theatre.
- A neighborhood placeFrednycVIPDined on 6/15/2014If you are looking for a neighborhood dive (in the good sense), this is for you and me. It looks like it has always been on this block near Ave B. Friendly service, great reasonable wine list and food to match. Also makes a killer Old Fashioned. What else can you ask for?Special Features:
- Almost PerfectromanticDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I love lavagna for its romantic and vibrant atmosphere, and of course the rigatoni. Our last visit was perfect with one minor disappointment - the artichoke appetizer left alot to be desired. one sliver of artichoke and a glob of humus was not what I thought we ordered. Still, we love this place and will keep coming back!Special Features:
- great summer night outdoor dining..dougiebeeDined on 6/12/2014delicious food, great wine list, friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaneVIPDined on 6/7/2014Very enjoyable evening. Food was delicious! Service was great. We will definitely go back again.Special Features: