Lavagna - Washington DC
539 8th St, SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Lavagna - Washington DC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lavagnadc.com/
- Phone: 2025465006x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Tue - Fri
11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner Tue - Sun
5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch Sat - Sun
10:00am - 2:30pm
Happy Hour Specials
Tuesday - Saturday
4:30pm - 7:30pm @ Upstairs Bar
25% off Wines by the Glass
$7 Craft Cocktails
$4 Local Beers
Saturday & Sunday
10am - 2:30pm Brunch
$12 Unlimited Mimosas
Sunday & Tuesday
5pm - Close
Half Priced Bottles of Wine
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Wine Bar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We would be happy to host your next event. Please contact for all details.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Cheung 2025465006x
- Special Events: Holiday Hours:
Closed Dec 24, 25, and Lunch on the 26th.
Open Dec 31 for Dinner and Jan 1st for Brunch.
A word from Lavagna - Washington DC
All menu items at Lavagna are prepared from scratch, including our pasta. The menu changes weekly as well as seasonally so it can feature only the freshest local ingredients. Lavagna is expanding the house-made charcuterie program and is adding a line of house-made local preserves, with offerings varying week to week. Lavagna also offers a variety of Italian wines, beers from around the world and distinctive craft cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lavagna - Washington DC reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)fit for foodies (41)great for brunch (36)great for outdoor dining (34)special occasion (26)good for groups (23)romantic (20)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Yummy neighborhood spotMirkat262Dined on 9/14/2014Our meal at Lavagna was lovely. My companion and I had no problem getting a table for brunch on Sunday afternoon, and the food was delicious. We enjoyed the outdoor patio and the service was spot on. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Delicious and Fun Saturday NighteatertobeatDined on 9/13/2014Went here on Saturday night with a friend and had a great meal. Easy to eat outside and delicious food. The waitress was friendly and helpful and made it even more enjoyable. This is a great place for dates, groups, etc. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaVagnaeaterDined on 9/7/2014Dined here on quiet Sunday evening. Service excellent. Menu somewhat limited but dishy very tasty and quickly served. Fresh pastas especially good.Special Features:
- Great brunchycomedyVIPDined on 9/7/2014A nice variety of food from pancakes to Spaghetti! The bottomless mimosas are fun for a lazy day and you can walk the area to sober up! You don't get anything extra though..no bread with the meal or anything. It would be kind of nice if they came up with a menu with a dessert/appetizer included. It was like going to lunch with breakfast choices unlike a lot of places that make brunch an inclusive experience. I'd eat here again though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch spotjstewa23Dined on 9/6/2014I had a friend visit this weekend and wanted her to experience a true DC Brunch experience. Lavagna really delivered. Not only was the food yummy, but they truly kept my mimosa glass bottomless. Our waiter, Michelle, was the best. She immediately told us she was excited for us to be dining with her that day and it showed in her service. Thank you so much for making my friend's first DC brunch experience the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch experienceal337Dined on 9/1/2014I came here for brunch with a friend, and the whole experience was delightful. The food is exceptional, and made from locally-sourced ingredients, the atmosphere is chic and classy, and the server was friendly and plied us with bottomless mimosas. Fantastic!Special Features:
- OKTuckSteeleDined on 9/1/2014The service was good, and the place had a great vibe, but the food was only so-so. While I wouldn't object to going back if someone suggested it, I also probably would not suggest it on my own.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/31/2014We very much enjoyed dinner, very good food, great 1/2 price wine selection...great service.Special Features:
- good italianbmillzDined on 8/23/2014The food was very good homestyle Italian. The charcuterie appetizers were also very delicious and had plenty of options. Duck prosciutto was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Before an Evening ParadeZac7hDined on 8/22/2014We ate here before attending a USMC Evening Parade at the 8th & I Barracks. The food was delicious and the service catered to our limited time frame. They make all their own pasta from scratch and locally source ingredients. I highly recommend eating here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderdoneEMregularDined on 8/15/2014Have eaten at Lavagna about 10x's. For the price point the food and service are uneven. Brunch is usually good and I have had a couple really nice dinners on an average week night. New Year's was a disaster. Set menu and seating times, yet waited an hour for cold food. When friends suggested trying restaurant week there I was hoping Lavagna would impress b/c I want to like this restaurant. Instead, they failed to bring out the drink for one member of our party. We watched the ice melt in ours and she could see hers sitting out on the bar. Had to go ask for it. Same with a forgotten glass of wine. Sent back a pasta dish because it was so uncooked as to crunch and came out the same way second time. That said my seafood linguini was delicious!
- Good Italian Restaurant but...LeopoldoDined on 8/15/2014This is a good restaurant. The appetizers were very good, the pasta good but not out of this world. For example, the meatballs were a little spicy. Why? I do not understand the love for spicy pasta. Spicy mexican or Thai food I understand. I measure Italian restaurant by the basics, Bolognesa (meat) or Tomate Sauce Pasta and meatballs. Tasted the second one with meatballs and it was fine. Even though they had issues waiting on us fast they finally assigned another waitress who was adorable. The Host is the best one I have ever seen.Special Features:
- Great service, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014We had fantastic service here and the food was very good as well. Pasta was excellent.Special Features:
- Good food but LOUD!lj28VIPDined on 8/10/2014I have had brunch at Lavagna a few times and it's always great. This time was ok, but we were seated upstairs and surrounded by 3 large parties that were SO LOUD. That is not really the restaurant's fault, but I think the acoustics upstairs cause the noise to be much more noticeable. Also, they were out of bacon, which was disappointing. My pancakes were delicious and I'm sure I will be back for brunch again.Special Features:
- excellentluv2eatDined on 8/1/2014party of six. 2 adults, 4 teenagers. excellent service, excellent food, excellent dessert. Had the pesto pasta, the risotto and the carrot salad. absolutely excellent. desserts are just the right size and flavorful as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made from scratch!RVAdinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014Actual homemade pasta is such a rarity. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and the service was great. We're not frequent visitors to the area but we'd certainly return if we're ever near Barrack's Row again.Special Features:
- Abysmal service and bad foodluvgudfudVIPDined on 7/30/2014The table service was astoundingly poor. We asked for bread 4 times and waited 20 minutes for any food, including bread, to arrive. The food was mediocre and portions small. The wait staff showed no interest in us having a pleasant meal. It was honestly much worse than even a "normal" bad dining experience. There are many good restaurants on this street - choose any of them other than Lavagna.
- So-SomandypantsDined on 7/27/2014This is one of my friend's favorites in the area and is also a scratch kitchen- so maybe my expectations were too high but I thought the food was so-so. My eggs were not cooked correctly, I ordered them poached and they came out in "puddle like form." Also the sausage and potatoes were sort of bland- we had to ask 3 times for condiments to go with the potatoes and toast. Also the service was very slow- I am glad we didn't opt for the bottomless mimosas because we probably would have only gotten (1) the entire 90 minutes that we were there... our server was definitely either slammed or preoccupied because we saw her when she took the order and brought the check and that was about it. Overall though it was cute place and great location!Special Features:
- Always a favoriteFirstTimeRestaurantWeekDined on 7/26/2014Friends and I gathered for a birthday brunch - we always have a wonderful time at Lavagna! The service is great, the music is fantastic, the food is tasty, the mimosas are phenomenal - it is never a disappointment. Thank you for helping us celebrate!Special Features:
- Just perfect!RDol26Dined on 7/22/2014Everything was just perfect and delicious! Our waitress (Danielle? Michelle? Short brown hair) was phenomenal! The wine he recommended was spot on and so was her food recommendation. The Brussels sprouts were out of this world and so was the pesto. It was absolutely delicious. My only critique if I had to was the olive oil seemed week and low quality. I would just up to a nicer olive oil for the table. But so minor. Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- daveluvsbeerdaveluvsbeerDined on 7/19/2014Really excellent selections. Charcuterie made in house was delicious though served VERY sparingly. Pasta was absolutely PERFECT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful menu and great serviceDCDinerVIPDined on 7/19/2014I am never disappointed when I dine at Lavagna. The pastas are so tasty! The desserts are super creative and delicious. Pasta portions are large so plan on sharing or taking some home!Special Features:
- Great Dinner!Lag1Dined on 7/18/2014My family ate at Lavagna on our last night in DC. We had several very good meals, this was the best. We all had pasta dishes. All were very good. The pesto rigatoni was outstanding. Another must is the brussel sprout side dish with bacon, cranberries and goat cheese. To die for! Our server was very friendly and made great recommendations. We would definitely return if we lived in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DCDabVIPDined on 7/15/2014Restaurant was out of the first wine I selected. Bad start. The list of appetizers is spare and not very Italian. I ordered a Provolone Salad thinking I would be getting something akin to a chopped salad and instead got four pieces of melted provolone over greens and micro cucumbers. Weird. Spaghetti and meatballs was fine but the meatballs could have used more flavor or seasoning. I guess this is a good choice on Tuesdays and Sundays when they offer all bottles of wine at half price.
- Not very cleanEaterEaterNumNumDined on 7/13/2014The food was decent (nothing to write home about), but the bathrooms were dirty and so was the rest of the restaurant. This was also first thing in the morning, not after a busy day of patrons coming in and out. Staff was also not very friendly or attentive, especially the front.
- Gluten Free FriendlyGFgalDined on 7/13/2014It is great to find a neighborhood gem that understands and can accomodate celiac disease diners' needs.Special Features:
- Bday dinner hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Went here for a birthday dinner - the food and service were EXCELLENT! I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice night. The prices were reasonable too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homemade Pasta is SOOO Goodgot2swimclimbDined on 7/11/2014They make their pasta from scratch and it's noticeably better than from the box. The food was great and my only suggestion is that I would like the cheese grater to be left on the table because I love cheese and I want more as I eat my food. I am not vegan but I don't eat red meat. The cheese plate had something on it that looked like chutney and it turned out to have bacon. I would have preferred that it be noted both on the menu and when it was delivered. Now I know but I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Very nice staff. Food was excelent. Our server was extremely knoledgeable about the food and extremely professional.Special Features:
- Mimosas and Eggs on the Patiojustintime9Dined on 7/4/2014Went for brunch, ordered the eggs florentine, which was absolutely delicious. Had the $12 unlimited mimosas, which can't be beat, and the waiter (Zach) was great with refilling constantly so that I never had an empty glass. Food came remarkably quickly, and even after we finished our food he did not rush us out and told us to stay until the end of the 90-min mimosa window, which I very much appreciated because in some restaurants you feel as though they are shoving you out the door.Special Features:
- Special Birthday BrunchHumaneFoodieDined on 6/28/2014Took my friend to a birthday brunch here. The food was great and all locally sourced (with farms on the menu). Without even asking, they brought us free tiramisu with a candle in it for my friend's birthday and did not charge us for it. Great place!Special Features:
- complete package7hom7homVIPDined on 6/21/2014Went for the basics this time: salad & pasta. Nice fresh greens and thick sliced slightly fried provolone with red vinaigrette. Simple and good. Basic spiral pasta (rotini?) In beef & pork tomato based sauce. Half portion was just the right size. Fresh off the grinder Parmasan. Very slight kick to sauce (I prefer more, but that would be more than most). Freshly inhouse made pasta could have been a little more al dente. A surprisingly light Tiramisu dessert with coffee was a perfect finish. Dining outside on 8th Street is okay, but it is a main thoroughfare. Good attentive w/o being invasive service. Lavagna should be destination dining. I'm marking it as a favorite and adding to my list of preArena restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/18/2014Homemade Gluten Free Pasta. Awesome. Server was great. Manager was very helpful. Carrot salad was great...Not something I would normally order but it was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service okayAliceVIPDined on 6/15/2014The food was great but the service was a bit lacking. It took around 10 minutes for our server to come to our table to even introduce herself. Then another 10 minutes to get our first drink. Then my food came out but my friend's food didn't come out for another almost 10 minutes. The server came over to explain she was sorry and somehow the food was put on two different tickets. So the kitchen did rush to finish my friend's food. After that our service was pretty good and our server was decent about refilling our bottomless mimosas. However, the tables around us seemed to have much faster and better service by the same server so it was a bit weird.Special Features:
- fine brunchicuspr05Dined on 6/15/2014food was good, prices are decent, they have indoor and outdoor seating. overall its a good place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchBaconChickDined on 5/31/2014I specifically choose Lavagna after seeing a photo of the chicken and waffles dish. Unfortunately it was lack luster for me. The waffles were not hot, rather rubbery. The chicken was just "ok". Could have been seasoned a little more. The bacon jam was tasty...but could not make up for the compensate for the other areas. My friend ordered a pasta dish that was way too salty. Others seemed to enjoy their meals...but nothing to write home about.
- LKE5Dined on 5/31/2014Wonderful atmosphere for intimate group brunch. Very nice that host will seat before entire party arrives. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NomNomNomDined on 5/30/2014The concept of gaining ingredients from local farms is fantastic. The food was flavorful. The minestrone soup was nice, however, I would classify it more as a stew than soup. The flights of wine were a fun surprise.
- Brunch for funSandyDined on 5/26/2014Service was attentive without being tiresome. Food was inventive, fresh and tasty. Love the local food sources idea. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerStephDined on 5/22/2014Wonderful experience and greatest food. What a treat!Special Features:
- The following 463 reviews are from the Lavagna - Washington DC reviews archive.